Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  21:22:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a very odd question for Ed Greenwood, about Elminster Must Die..... but it would bee the strange NDA question he would ever been asked, anyway THO, thank you for the answer; and pass on my thanks to mr. Greenwood.
SFD: who eagerly wats for Ed's next book...... and the one after that.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  01:54:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(Don't worry, scribes. I will get some proper Realmslore replies out of him, too. It's not going to be solid teasing for five-and-a-bit months. Promise.)

love,
THO

I think we could learn to enjoy 5 months of teasing from you THO. Wouldn't it make reading the book THAT MUCH BETTER?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  02:24:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, such compliments. You'll turn this gal's head.
(Or my tail, if you prefer. )
Ed tells me he's deep in planning his NEXT Realms novel, right now, but he did find time enough to send two more teases:

You will learn what a mask dancer is.

You'll see something of a routine civic disposal of the contents of chamberpots.

Oh boy. Can't wait for that LAST scene. "Civic disposal" doesn't sound like a euphemism for emptying a chamberpot over someone's head, though.
Ah, well . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  03:14:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

You will learn what a mask dancer is.
Oooh! Taking this tease literally, does it also mean I'll get to see some new musical Realmslore associated with this dancer? Because I'm still compiling the musical bits Ed dropped into the "Knights of Myth Drannor" trilogy...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Mar 2010 03:19:34
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  13:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Kyrene, you've got it exactly right: a nib is a copper piece and a shard is a silver piece, in Waterdeep throughout the 1300s (see under "Coinage" in the 3rd Edition FRCS baseline tome, and many earlier sources).

My thanks as always, milady. Allow me to get make it up for to you some time.

I have another question though:
Regarding place nomenclature for Luskan, is it "Luskar" (apparently used in Polyhedron #74 and definitely used in The North) or "Luskanite" (also used in The North, but used more widely such as in some Wyrms of the North articles, the Grand History of the Moonshaes web article and Hand of Fire), or both (and if so, what is the difference)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  14:26:13  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

About ELMINSTER MUST DIE! Ed adds these:
A reader MIGHT 'see' someone chained in a pool.

Would that be Mystra in the Pool of Yeven?

Inquiring minds and all

Cheers

Damo

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  15:43:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Kyrene, Ed says:

Both are correct. Formerly, "Luskar" meant "person of Luskan" and "Luskanite" meant "item or good from Luskan." However, the darkness of the High Captains and the Hosttower of the Arcane gave Luskan a certain fell reputation, and "Luskar" (associated with this) fell out of fashion.
It's still used, and is still correct, but "Luskanite" has become steadily more prevalent.

And Damian, Ed says:

Nope. Definitely not. I would have remembered seeing Mystra in the Pool of Yeven. Or a naked human female in chains, anywhere. ;} Even in my own writing. :O

So there you have it: so saith Ed. Who promises more teasers, the moment he's finished something "short, fun but still secret, for the Realms"...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  23:15:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
THO: re: something "short, fun but still secret, for the Realms"... could this be the long-awaited hidden halfling bordello in Baldur's Gate we've heard whispers of?

Edit: Or do I have the location wrong?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 Mar 2010 23:16:37
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  00:30:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
ummm I dont remember reading about it of the 4e frcg.

so... what was the affect of the spellplague on the ruins of ardeep??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  03:29:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
As promised, another pair of ELMINSTER MUST DIE! teasers from Ed:

You will "attend" a feast and hear much gossip. Some of the gossipers will be courtiers.

You will accompany various characters down quite a few secret passages.

So saith Ed. Still speaking much and saying little. I wonder if we'll get some glimpse of culinary details, and wines?
Hmmm...I'm getting hungry, and thirsty. Not to mention horny. DEFINITELY feast time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  11:05:16  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Greetings Lady Hooded and Mr.Greenwood, fellow scribes.

A query about NDA's and mushrooms in Chult this time around.

Will we ever be hearing more from Rowan Cormaeril, or is this still NDA?
What sort of mushrooms will be used most in culinary environments in Chult(stews, ovenbaked, panfried etc)? And what sort should one be wary of, in terms of poisonous shrooms? And if possible, some effects these poisonous mushrooms would have if digested.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  11:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Kyrene, Ed says:

Both are correct. Formerly, "Luskar" meant "person of Luskan" and "Luskanite" meant "item or good from Luskan." However, the darkness of the High Captains and the Hosttower of the Arcane gave Luskan a certain fell reputation, and "Luskar" (associated with this) fell out of fashion.
It's still used, and is still correct, but "Luskanite" has become steadily more prevalent.

My thanks again, milady, to you and Ed for the quick reply. 'Realmspeak' has therefore been thusly updated. I shall refrain from commenting on your three basic needs though.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2010 :  13:53:41  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Almost done with Falconfar, what a romp.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2010 :  18:09:52  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
Re: the Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set] date controversy.

I have recently modified my notion of the appropriate dating of the M[BS]. Previously, we had determined that 1358 DR made the most sense, since the time clues within the third booklet of the M[BS], "The House Do'Urden Retrospective", coincided with Bob Salvatore's novel The Legacy, and that novel appears to take place in spring, 1358 DR.

However, in light of all that you shared before on the history of the M[BS], as well as my ongoing research into the RAS Realms Chronology, I think that the date for the M[BS] should be modified, slightly. I now think that we should preserve the original, official date of autumn, 1357 DR, for the main text of the M[BS]; and only assign to "THDUR" the new date of spring, 1358 DR.

This new arrangement actually helps establish my independently calculated date of 1358 DR for both of Bob's books, The Legacy and Starless Night.

M[BS], "Book II: The Houses", lists both Vierna Do'Urden and Vendes Baenre as still being alive.

But Bob killed Vierna off in the spring in The Legacy.

And then he killed Vendes off in the summer in Starless Night.

If the main text of M[BS] truly were set in autumn 1357 DR; this, then, means that neither TL nor SN could also be set in 1357 DR. Vierna can't be killed off in spring, 1357 DR (TL), only to be alive again in the M[BS]. And Vendes can't be killed off in summer, 1357 DR (SN), only to be alive again in M[BS]. Clearly, Bob's two books must take place in the year after the M[BS].

<Here> is a draft write-up I did on the chronological placement of the M[BS].

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2010 :  23:03:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed, hope your various writing projects are going well. I hate to add to your pile of questions (well, ok, so no I don't, and I'm going to anyway). I'd like your advice on an NPC background I'm putting together.

Recently, my players rescued a half-elven girl (about 15 years old) from a pirate ship south of Thindol. She's been taken in as a sort of ward/apprentice by them, which means I need a background for her. Since the party is eventually going to end up in Waterdeep, I want her to have some connection with that city.

I know you've mentioned several times before that many nobles in both Waterdeep and Cormyr aren't above quietly doing away with members of their own family if said members are sufficeintly embarrassing/buck the will of the family's head too often. So I think I'd like to make this half-elf a victim of that.

What I'm thinking is this: the girl's mother was a younger daughter of one of Waterdeep's noble matriarchs. Instead of marrying the man her mother had arranged for, she fell in love and married a wandering elf, and had a daughter by him. This turned her mother against her. It took more than a decade for the matriarch's rage to boil over, but when it did, the matriarch strangled her daughter with her own hands, in front of the half-elven girl. She then secretly sold the girl to some smugglers and pirates she knew, enjoying the thought of her bane living the rest of her short life servicing the crew before they eventually killed her.

My question is three-fold. First, is this plausible? Second, if so, can you give me a prospective matriarch or two who might be the culprit? And third, what would likely happen if the girl confronted and accused her grandmother in a large, public setting (say a formal audience before Piergion)? Thanks, as always, for sharing your wisdom.

edit: Whoops, forgot the timeframe: late 1360's to very early 1370's.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 08 Mar 2010 19:25:55
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2010 :  03:29:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
As promised, another pair of ELMINSTER MUST DIE! teasers from Ed:

You will "attend" a feast and hear much gossip. Some of the gossipers will be courtiers.

You will accompany various characters down quite a few secret passages.

So saith Ed. Still speaking much and saying little. I wonder if we'll get some glimpse of culinary details, and wines?
Hmmm...I'm getting hungry, and thirsty. Not to mention horny. DEFINITELY feast time.
love to all,
THO

by Sharess..... and then Sune....

so these secret passages, are they dark and gloomy secret passages or brightly lit ones?

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2010 :  06:00:53  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Finished Falconfar.

Loved how Ed left it open for some more stories. Which I would read btw.

I so thought a certain 'Fat Swindler' would become King of Galath.

Now we need a map.

Kobold Quarterly maybe?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2010 :  20:46:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring these words, from Ed:

Brimstone, I'm hoping I'll get a chance to tell more tales of Falconfar (and yes, Gar and Isk would be at the forefront). Solaris (the imprint that published the books) recently changed hands, so we'll have to wait and see.

sfdragon, the passages aren't brightly lit by themselves, no, but some who pass down them bring their own light along.
Which reminds me that it's teaser time again. :}
So, hearken to these:

You will learn what makes a certain young lord's mouth water, at morningfeast.

You will see a dead man's face change.

Heh-heh. Onward . . .

Hoondatha, the scenario you posit is entirely plausible. Possible matriarchs would be the likes of Laentra Manthar (successor to Churylle, misspelled "Churyl" in the CITY OF SPLENDORS boxed set "Who's Who" booklet), Carina Phull, or Pera Sultlue. Piergeiron would certainly hear the granddaughter out, and promise to "consider the matter." The lass and her grandmother would separately be interviewed in private by senior Watch "justisars" (the clerks and interrogators who collate information gleamed from prisoners) with Peirgeiron's Palace wizards (one of whom appears in the CITY OF SPLENDORS novel, but there are others) using spells to mind-read them both.
If the granddaughter claims her mother was murdered by her grandmother, or the murder is "seen" in the grandmother's mind, a full investigation (i.e. family disgrace) will take place, and the grandmother will almost certainly be sentenced for that deed. Piergeiron will seize upon this as the paramount concern, to avoid the "she said but SHE said" messiness of the grandmother's treatment of her granddaughter; if there was no murder, the selling into slavery would of course be the main concern.
As any punishment for murder will involve (at the least) exile and loss of personal standing, it would mean the granddaughter will see her grandmother eventually "removed" from the scene (which is why such deeds are almost always done by hirelings working through several layers of "X hires Y, Y then hires Z" so no link can be proven back to the source).
The danger of younger family members disposing of older ones by false accusations is always borne in mind by the Palace (hence the "full investigation" part), and the Palace would provide secure lodgings and protection for the granddaughter during the investigation if she agrees to it, and covert watch over her and undercover-agent protection of her if she doesn't agree to it, to keep agents directed by anyone from "offing" the family members involved to silence them.
"Neutral" nobles are always called in to witness the trials of other nobles, both as object lessons and to prevent anyone in the Palace being accused of "framing or hunting nobles" for their own gain or satisfaction.
Yes, this could all get very sticky and stgir up a lot of intrigue, but then, that sort of thing makes campaigns sparkle. :}

So saith Ed. Who is happily busy at the keyboard right now, crafting new Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2010 :  22:31:25  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
That's great, Ed. Many thanks. You're the best, as usual. (Except for THO, who is also the best, in her own most special ways)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  07:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,
quote:
You will learn what makes a certain young lord's mouth water, at morningfeast.
What is the difference between "dawnfry" and "morningfeast," if any? Also, concerning 'main' meals, are there any other terms for them apart from:
breakfast - "dawnfry" (and possibly "morningfeast" or "morningfest")
lunch - "highfeast" (or possibly "highfest") and "highsunfeast" or "highsunfest"
dinner - "evenfeast" (or possibly "evenfest") and "eveningfeast" (or possibly "eveningfest")
I presume the use of something-"fest" and something-"feast" is used interchangeably.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:11:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Kyrene.
Ed and I have chatted about this a few times, over the years. So consider what follows to be essentially a light paraphrasing of him, drawn from my notes made while discussing these matters with Ed (with him right there to amplify or "correct" me):

Language in the Realms is varied and ever-changing (deliberately so, to make it seem more like the real world, and therefore more real).
So, SOME speakers don't use either "dawnfry" or "morningfeast" at all, some use just one or the other, some use them interchangeably (even if they only use one, themselves, they UNDERSTAND them to mean precisely the same thing), and some distinguish: "dawnfry" is a camp meal, literally a skillet fry-up of some sort (fish or leftovers from the day before, eggs, sliced meat cooked in its own juices, the ubiquitous trail-food sausages, etc.), and morningfeast is a later in the morning (so, not necessarily at dawn), indoors, more expansive "first household meal of the day" meal (usually centered around something fried, but also including fruits, vegetables, and side-dishes).
"-feast" and "fest" are used according to the STYLE of speaking of the speaker (the dialect plus any tutoring plus speed of uttering words), because formally, it's ALWAYS "feast," but in many places and out of many mouths, the shorter, faster "fest" is what actually comes out.
So, formally, the early meal of the day is "morningfeast" with the more colloquial (or specific) "dawnfry" equivalent.
The midday meal is "highsunfeast" and the most popular equivalent term is "highbite"
The evening meal is "eveningfeast" with "evenfeast" a VERY popular variant, and "longtable" (for formal meals) or "latebite" (for informal ones) as popular equivalents
However, there are dozens of other local/regional terms, and names for meals taken at other times that often "drift" into use for the main three mealtimes, particularly in monasteries, mines, and other settings where those precise mealtimes may never be used.

So saith Ed, really, just lightly filtered through me.
Enjoy!
(Tummies rumbling yet, scribes?)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 12 Mar 2010 03:13:30
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
A daring question, if I may...
I don't expect Ed to share details with us, but has he pondered any details of how the Spellplague actually "worked," that may eventually be hinted at, for DMs to grasp at and use in guiding campaign play either through the Spellplague, or in dealing with its aftermath?
And would these details (even if still firmly NDA'd) readily allow a DM who doesn't want to contradict canon to go on running a campaign set in the 1370s and onward to remain essentially unchanged in a Sword Coast or Inner Sea locale for a couple of decades, while the Spellplague drastically changed "other regions," sending refugees with wild rumors into the campaign area but not doing all that much to campaign play except making a few wizards blow up and magic get wilder (castings like wands of wonder sometimes)?
Thanks for ANYTHING you or Ed can say, or hint... (hint, hint)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, I'm hoping Ed can provide the badge or blazon or non-heraldic identifying mark that a private carting company based in Suzail (and shuttling folk around Cormyr's southern and Dragon Coast places in coaches) might use, circa 1360-1370 DR. The symbol, if any, (or name or slogan or whatever) that might be painted on the side doors of a coach to identify who it belongs to.
And in a slightly wider secondary question, how would such a company USUALLY advertise, beyond mere word of mouth?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I've gathered that Ed has a long-running contract with Wizards (six novels?) and I know he just finished a trilogy for Solaris. Before that, he also wrote novels for Tor. Is there anything else in the works, for anyone (including WotC) that Ed can tell us about, yet? Or even drop hints about?
Please?
I for one eagerly await Ed's novels, finding them entertaining romps for the most part. So I want more!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  16:31:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Malcolm, Ed DEFINITELY has more in the works, but I'm not sure that he's at the point where he can reveal anything at all, yet.
Right now, we know that Ed's next Wizards novel will be ELMINSTER MUST DIE!, due out this August (at GenCon, I believe) and that he's at work on a sequel that therefore presumably is also about Elminster. (Notice how carefully I'm choosing my words, given my own background as a sometime book editor.)
Ed continues to work on short stories for various anthologies he's asked to submit work to, and - - because it's merely the professional thing to do - - keeps as mum about his other work as publishers expect him to (which means: if he's dropping hints or telling us titles and details, publishers WANT him to).
I will of course send your query on to Ed for him to add something to this answer I've given, but I doubt he'll be free to add much, right now. (So, of course, stay tuned!)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  17:17:48  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message
Greetings, Lady Hooded One. I have some little questions for Ed:
1. Are there any beauty contests in the Realms? How do they look like? Who sponsors them? What are the profits for victory (Besides the obvious one.)?
2. Is there something like Heavy Metal (Or Metal generally.) in the Realms? How is it/could it be called?
What about other genres?

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2010 :  21:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message
Greetings M'lady THO. Just a quick query hopefully. Does Waterdeep have the equivalent of a Medal of Honor? If so, what would it look like and what is it called? My gaming group just saved the city from a very bad problem, and I want Lord Piergeron to award them a medal of some kind. Thanks in advance

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  03:05:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eyes of Hores-Re, Waterdeep does indeed have some decorations. Here are some relevant passages from Ed's notes (circa 1978!!!):

Various Open Lords of the city have honored citizens with a variety of "decorations" down the years, but Piergeiron seems to have thus far settled on three:

* The Bright Sleeve: literally a sleeve of cloth-of-gold, embroidered with the name of the person it is awarded to; fits long human arms from wrist to upflared shoulder "flame," having a pleated "accordion" section at the elbow allowing it to be shortened for wear by shorter arms. Awarded to outlanders, citizens, and employees of the city (Guard, Watch, courtiers, hirelings) for "acts of bravery above and beyond expected conduct or paid duties." Example: rescuing someone at the risk of one's own life.

* The Shield of the City: a large golden shield-shaped chest badge (pin), backed by everbright battle-steel (so, can be an effective breast protection). Awarded for "outstanding acts of military service contributing to the protection of Waterdeep and its inhabitants," and so generally given to the Guard and Watch only (but sometimes given to nobles for jumping in to fight alongside city defenders). Examples of deeds that will win it: capturing a dangerous escaped fugitive or known murderer; spotting or helping to prevent someone poisoning food or water or drink in the city; or spotting an attack on the city in time for defenders to get ready to repel it.

The Valorstar: a "curve-sided diamond" badge (pin) of adamantine, set with a single large cabochon-cut (smooth ovoid) thumb-sized sapphire. Strikingly beautiful. Awarded for "long and meritorious service to the city" (such as many acts of tending the sick without pay, giving shelter or aid to the homeless or the destitute or visitors) or "outstanding civic service" (such as designing and contributing funds to the repair or expansion or erection of a needed building such as a "hospital" [[which means, as it meant in the real world in medieval times, homes for the poor, NOT a medical facility]]. Note that temples and religious building of any kind is never recognized by bestowal of this honour; it's expected that the faiths involved will confer their own marks of thanks and esteem.) The Valorstar has in the past been awarded for such "outstanding civic service" as tracking down serial murderers, uncovering plots against the city government and schemes to identify and murder Masked Lords, identifying those who vandalized and despoiled tombs, and settling feuds between nobles or among guilds.

So saith Ed - - and there you have it: relevant Realmslore, right to hand!
Wheeee! Enjoy!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  03:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Awesome! I needed this too! Yesssssss!
(Thanks!)
BB
Go to Top of Page

Eye of Horus-Re
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2010 :  03:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Eye of Horus-Re's Homepage Send Eye of Horus-Re a Private Message
THO, you and Ed rule! Thank you so much for responding so quickly!!

Long live 1384 and that which came before....!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000