Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  16:24:57  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Pipeweeds were in AURORA'S WHOLE REALMS CATALOG, if I remember rightly, and I think Ed HAS said something about them, but I can't remember ifit was here or in his "New Adventures of Volo" DRAGON columns, back in the day.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  23:59:18  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Pipeweeds were in AURORA'S WHOLE REALMS CATALOG, if I remember rightly, and I think Ed HAS said something about them, but I can't remember ifit was here or in his "New Adventures of Volo" DRAGON columns, back in the day.

Indeed. I think I've compiled most of that relevant lore, with the intent of making it available as a separate download here at Candlekeep. I'll have to look.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14395 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  03:25:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
What is the actual meaning of 'Baelnorn'? Has it ever been defined?

I would surmise it means something akin to 'avoider of Fate', or 'Dark Destiny' - not sure. Elf-lore is one of my weak-points.

In other words, either can be interpreted to mean 'someone who has chosen a path other then the natural one the Seldarine has laid down for us'. A person who has avoided his (natural) Fate.

I was actually was wondering this while composing a Holiday-specific piece of Realmslore, which now that it has gotten much bigger then I anticipated won't be ready in-time.

Maybe next Christmas... I'm working on 'sage Time'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 03:25:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  04:12:36  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think it was in Cormanthyr, where it was said that 'baelnorn' means "Reverend Ones." Though it's been a while since I've read that tome, so my assumption here, may be off somewhat.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  04:46:16  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
I have a question relating to Eilistraee as well. I have a Pc who is wanting to get married, and was wondering what kind of ceremonies they use, how long do they last, what sort of vows, celebrations, etc, could one expect? Where would it be held, and when? Okay, that's actually several questions, but thanks in advance for any assistance!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 25 Dec 2010 04:52:00
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  05:01:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message
All right Sage, I'll check back to remind you, but maybe, for my sake, it would be better if I know what issues of Dragon to look in. It's not that I don't believe that you'll get around to it. Let me see, how can I put this delicately? It's just that I don't want to make more work for you?!?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14395 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  05:32:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Merry Christmas, Ed and THO, and Happy Holidays to everyone else here while I am at it. Bouncing ideas off you guys is one of the few joys I have remaining.

God Bless.
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I think it was in Cormanthyr, where it was said that 'baelnorn' means "Reverend Ones." Though it's been a while since I've read that tome, so my assumption here, may be off somewhat.

Figures, one of the few tomes I haven't yet read-through (just bits of it). Have I mentioned I don't like Elves?

I thought the 'Norns' part of it might have a 'deeper meaning'. Elves ARE related to the Norse pantheon through the Vanir (Fey).

I think I may have mis-construed the 'bael' part - it means something akin to 'Blessed' I guess. I was thinking 'mael' or 'mal', which usually means 'bad' or 'ill' linguistically.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 05:35:56
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  06:26:29  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
MT- maybe it could mean "blessed by the fates"? Or simply "one with a blessed fate"? It was supposed to be considered a very high honor to become one, and IIRC, it required a blessing from the Seldarine and a High Magic ritual to created them.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  07:42:05  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

All right Sage, I'll check back to remind you, but maybe, for my sake, it would be better if I know what issues of Dragon to look in. It's not that I don't believe that you'll get around to it. Let me see, how can I put this delicately? It's just that I don't want to make more work for you?!?

Actually, I was referring to Malcom's statement about Ed posting lore here at Candlekeep. I've compiled that info, since it's often a question that comes up here every once and a while.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  13:42:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I have a question relating to Eilistraee as well. I have a Pc who is wanting to get married, and was wondering what kind of ceremonies they use, how long do they last, what sort of vows, celebrations, etc, could one expect? Where would it be held, and when? Okay, that's actually several questions, but thanks in advance for any assistance!

There will be dancing.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  14:50:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Merry Christmas to Ed, the lovely Lady Hooded One, and everyone else!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Dec 2010 14:52:56
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  17:10:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Agreed, o Wooly one! Merry Christmas (and other holiday celebrations) to all the Readers, Scribes and our illustrious designers/authors/imaginative heroes here at the 'keep.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  17:20:37  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

There will be dancing.

And singing :) Merry Christmas to everyone
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14395 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  18:47:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I believe Kajehase was making a rather clever reference to the final scene in the movie My Best Friend's Wedding.

For some reason, Julie Roberts can make a 'chick flick' watchable. Cameron Diaz is just a big plus.

First Project Runway, then Little Mermaid, and now chick-flick references... I need to get into a bar fight SOON....

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2010 18:49:46
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2010 :  19:29:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

I believe Kajehase was making a rather clever reference to the final scene in the movie My Best Friend's Wedding.

For some reason, Julie Roberts can make a 'chick flick' watchable. Cameron Diaz is just a big plus.

First Project Runway, then Little Mermaid, and now chick-flick references... I need to get into a bar fight SOON....

Yes... that's what I was doing... very clever wasn't it?

Spoiler:
If I was referencing anything, it was, in a not at all clever way, There Will be Blood - but only the title.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  01:45:11  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by manaeater

quote:

quote:

There will be dancing.

And singing :) Merry Christmas to everyone

Har, har, har. Funny, guys. (Dancing?! Singing?! In an Eilistraeean wedding? Gee, ya THINK?! LOL!!!)

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:05:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Har, har, har. Funny, guys. (Dancing?! Singing?! In an Eilistraeean wedding? Gee, ya THINK?! LOL!!!)

I'd even hazard to say that there may be some playing of musical instruments as well.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
Happy holidays to Ed and his clan, and to the always lovely and serene Lady Hooded One.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

manaeater
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:55:35  Show Profile Send manaeater a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I'd even hazard to say that there may be some playing of musical instruments as well.

And they will probably be naked LOL
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  04:27:31  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Happy holidays to Ed of the Green Wood; the ever lovely, ever lewd THO; and all the scribes and lurkers of the 'Keep! I wish you each the best of all possible Yuletides.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  04:44:11  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

You guys are such pervs!! LOL! I kinda figured at least some of them might be- or is that part for later....? *Starts thinking of looking up specs on a Betazoid wedding* Hmmm, seems kinda similar....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You guys are such pervs!! LOL! I kinda figured at least some of them might be- or is that part for later....? *Starts thinking of looking up specs on a Betazoid wedding* Hmmm, seems kinda similar....

The Sage tried to persuade me of the benefits of such a ceremony for our own wedding. When that failed, he then tried for a Klingon ceremony. :)

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  15:54:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Can't blame a man for trying.
Ahem.
In the interests of fulfilling a few scribes' fantasies, I'd like to share that I'm typing this reply wearing only a Santa hat, my new (Yule present) wristwatch, a black ribbon choker, and a smile.

Ed and I both had lovely Christmases. Ed's involved FIVE solid hours of family opening presents, then a 100-mile drive to Toronto for a family turkey dinner and lovely chat and "Secret Santa" present swap, then a drive home, and late to bed. Today, he's cooking a "leviathan turkey" for those of the family staying with him for a few weeks.
All of which has further delayed his Lisen replies (three planned: a long one about the physical conditions of the region, a speculative one for Hoondatha, then a report on the Battle of the Lisen Sands).
However, I'm back on duty, satiated after a Christmas night of eating cheese and chocolate, sipping wine, and making love on a thick, luxurious, century-old bearpelt rug (mmmmmmm), and I bring a note from Ed to Markustay:

"Bael" does indeed sound sinister/ill/bad, but it's actually a shortening of "imbraele" (which means revered or honored for an action/stand/decision/guardianship/service).

So saith Ed. There you go; elven linguistics on Boxing Day. Alone worth the time of being a scribe here at the Keep and reading this thread regularly.
love to all,
your still unclad THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2400 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  17:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Mmm... The Christmas present keep coming, in the best tradition of keeping the holiday going. Tell Ed I'm looking forward to the Lisen responses, many thanks in advance, and best, if tardy, wishes for a happy holidays.

And as for you, dear Lady Hooded, well, I'm not sure I've ever met your match in getting, and keeping, and working, a crowd. May you enjoy many more years of doing so (and may all the faint hearts of the CK scribes be able to keep up!).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ralderick Hallowshaw
Seeker

Italy
36 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  18:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Ralderick Hallowshaw's Homepage Send Ralderick Hallowshaw a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a question regarding numerical systems used in the Realms.
I know the arabic numerals are commonly used as the main numerical system, speaking about humans.
What about elves, dwarves and so on?
I also know roman numerals are used, for example in the regal title of the Shoon Emperors' dinasty, like in the honorary "Shoon VII"; is this only a tradition of the Shoon imperium? Do Roman numerals belong to a different culture?

And... happy holidays to Ed, lovely THO and all the fellow scribes here at Candlekeep!

PS: I apologize for my bad english.

"Adventurers are best used to slay monsters. Sooner or later, they become your worst monsters, and you have to hire new ones to do the obvious thing" - Ralderick Hallowshaw, Jester - from To Rule A Realm, From Turret To Midden, published circa The Year of the Bloodbird

And forgive me for my bad use of English language!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000