Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 AD&D trading cards, I need a name of one of them
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  07:14:53  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There was a card, I think it was a forgotten realms card. It was an animal. I think it was a half-fox, half-wolverine. Does anyone know the card I'm talking about? And if so, could you please give me the name and if you know if it has 3 or 3.5 stats anywhere, that would be really nice to have.

thanks a lot,
Ander

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  14:25:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow, as soon as I saw the name of the topic, I knew exactly what critter you'd be asking about.

On card #606, we were intro'ed to a new critter called the carcavulp. As I recall, it was a bit of Elmore artwork, which means it was just some critter he came up with for the painting in question. So far as I know (and I was curious about this critter, back when the cards came out), the only official stats for the carcavulp were those on the card -- it's not been in print anywhere else.

There is an unofficial conversion of it, though. The folks at ENWorld have a project where they update 2E critters that weren't officially updated, and they did take on the carcavulp.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1024

The name comes from carcajou, another name for a wolverine, and vulpus, one of the classification categories for foxes. I'd personally rename them, to get rid of the Latin origins in the name. To follow the template given by the in-print duhlarkin (see below), I'd prolly dub it a wolverox.

In the Realms, you could use Duhlark's Animerge and the duhlarkin template to explain one of these critters. The spell first appeared in the City of Splendors boxed set, and was updated in Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa. The duhlarkin template comes from there, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Dec 2009 14:27:04
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  21:17:23  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Somehow, as soon as I saw the name of the topic, I knew exactly what critter you'd be asking about.

On card #606, we were intro'ed to a new critter called the carcavulp. As I recall, it was a bit of Elmore artwork, which means it was just some critter he came up with for the painting in question. So far as I know (and I was curious about this critter, back when the cards came out), the only official stats for the carcavulp were those on the card -- it's not been in print anywhere else.

There is an unofficial conversion of it, though. The folks at ENWorld have a project where they update 2E critters that weren't officially updated, and they did take on the carcavulp.

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1024

The name comes from carcajou, another name for a wolverine, and vulpus, one of the classification categories for foxes. I'd personally rename them, to get rid of the Latin origins in the name. To follow the template given by the in-print duhlarkin (see below), I'd prolly dub it a wolverox.

In the Realms, you could use Duhlark's Animerge and the duhlarkin template to explain one of these critters. The spell first appeared in the City of Splendors boxed set, and was updated in Volume 1 of the Realms Bestiary by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa. The duhlarkin template comes from there, too.

Wooly, you are my man. Thank you so much. That's really helpful. The stats seem pretty good. I did a web search with the name but couldn't find a scan of the card anywhere. If anyone has a scan on this card or is able to find one please post it. I clicked on everything that came up on a google search, but nothing. I use to have the card and know I kept it but it's lost somewhere.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  23:17:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the 2E stats, I think on the ENWorld site (a simple Google search). No luck finding an image of the card, though.

Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  23:48:02  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found the 2E stats, I think on the ENWorld site (a simple Google search). No luck finding an image of the card, though.

well, thank you for taking a look. What was the edition of these cards? I might look into buying the full set on ebay or elsewhere. But I'd need to know all the search terms.

Edited by - woodwwad on 31 Dec 2009 23:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  00:37:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodwwad

quote:

well, thank you for taking a look. What was the edition of these cards? I might look into buying the full set on ebay or elsewhere. But I'd need to know all the search terms.

I'm pretty sure it was the first set of the trading cards, and they came out in 2E -- while TSR was still around.

If you google carcavulp, one of the hits is a place selling the individual cards.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  02:34:42  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly

You're amazing.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  06:00:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Wooly

You're amazing.

Well, that's a given!

In all seriousness, the carcavulp was a critter that very much caught my eye, and that's why it's one of the few cards I remember from that set. I looked up the stuff on the name of it back then, after not finding it in any of the books I had.

Just about any other questions from any other cards, I wouldn't have been able to answer.

And connecting it to the duhlarkin wasn't something I thought of until today -- I just never thought of spinning that critter into something Realmsish.

Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  06:19:18  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Wooly

You're amazing.

Well, that's a given!

In all seriousness, the carcavulp was a critter that very much caught my eye, and that's why it's one of the few cards I remember from that set. I looked up the stuff on the name of it back then, after not finding it in any of the books I had.

Just about any other questions from any other cards, I wouldn't have been able to answer.

And connecting it to the duhlarkin wasn't something I thought of until today -- I just never thought of spinning that critter into something Realmsish.

Some of the cards in that set were campaign specific. I thought the card in question was a Forgotten Realms card. The art work on it was really cool, I would guess you and I were not the only people who's eyes caught that creature. Now to find an image on it on the net

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  14:06:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodwwad

Some of the cards in that set were campaign specific. I thought the card in question was a Forgotten Realms card.

I remember that some of the cards were campaign specific, but I don't remember if the carcavulp was one or not. At the time, I was quite enamoured of the Spelljammer setting, and wasn't really paying attention to any other setting.

Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  19:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
woodward - did you ever find the image of this card? I have the 1991 Factory Set and wouldn't mind taking a couple of shots of the card and e-mailing it to you.

The card is a conventional AD&D card, not a Forgotten Realms card, but it still would make an interesting addition to the Realms.

I may have to see if I can cobble together a couple of 28mm figures of this beast. A 4'to 6' fox/wolverine crossbred should put the fear of the Gods back into my players and their low-level characters :-)

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  00:05:49  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

woodward - did you ever find the image of this card? I have the 1991 Factory Set and wouldn't mind taking a couple of shots of the card and e-mailing it to you.

The card is a conventional AD&D card, not a Forgotten Realms card, but it still would make an interesting addition to the Realms.

I may have to see if I can cobble together a couple of 28mm figures of this beast. A 4'to 6' fox/wolverine crossbred should put the fear of the Gods back into my players and their low-level characters :-)

I have looked several times but was never able to find it, odd right, as much stuff is up on the net. If you would be willing to do that for me, It would be much appreciated. Thank you very much for the offer and your time

This is something that I'd love to get as an animal for a character I run. Something I've wanted since the set came out, havn't gotten it yet but the card shot will surely help.

thank again,
Ander

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000