Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Journals of a Purple Dragon Knight
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  08:51:34  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I had this thread up at the WotC boards, but do to the drastic changes that have happened and the fact that the campaign this character is involved in is on hold, I cut it a bit short. But I'd like to restart the thread and I'm looking for feedback about it. The thread is about detailing our groups game in the Shadowdale adventure though the eyes of my character in his journal. It'll have that old-style civil war feeling and it'll go into detail our trials against monsters and party interaction. For those who are going to be playing this adventure, there will be SPOILERS along the way as we deal with the different battles described in the book. I hope you enjoy it and as always, feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Wheloon, Cormyr
12th day of Marpenoth
Year of Lightning Storms
1374 DR

It was another uneventful day at my post. Captain Tholl has been up in arms ever since those adventurers discovered that the temple to Mystra was a front for Shar's black doings. Now he's been nit-picking over every detail down to the polish of our swords and boots. It wasn't our fault that we didn't discover what was going on and drilling us all day long isn't going to change that fact. Still he's young for the post and I think he's only doing what he thinks is best.

More important though is that the adventurers are back from their harrowing journey. I had a chance to meet them at the Wyvern Watch and it seems their story is legit. After having a few pints with them, they mentioned they were heading off to Shadowdale to gain info. on some evil book they found. They've asked me to help in their quest and first thing tomorrow, I'm going to Lord Redbeard and Captain Tholl to discuss my country's stakes in all of this. Maybe I can go along to represent Cormyr's interests in tracking down the rest of the Sharran scum and bring them to justice.

Sir Ivan Brightflame,
Lionar of the Purple Dragons

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  08:56:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
20 miles out of Wheloon, Cormyr
13th day of Marpenoth
Year of Lightning Storms
1374 DR

In accordance to Lord Sarp Redbeard and Captain Maximanus Tholl orders, I'm ordered to oversee this mission to discover the remnants of the Sharran cell and bring them back to be judged. However, if the cultists resist, then I'm given permission to execute them if need be. Along with me in this quest are three others, the adventurers who have dealt with the Sharran bastards before. Though I'm not sure how I'll fair in this group, seeing as that I'm the "new guy", I'm certain we'll be able to accomplish this mission without any losses. Unfortunately the lack of mounts means it will take some time to get to the Dalelands.

We've started our trek early this morning and the hike felt good. Though moving more than 20 miles a day will surely kill our endurance so we've got to keep it slow. We're camping out and being so close to Wheloon, we've come across no problems. My companions however are another story. The scout named Morn Beskash is an annoying man who loves practical jokes and an instigator to say the least. He says he hails from the Dales but any further talk about his past is only met with him changing the topic and insulting you "playfully". He'll cause us problems yet I think.

My other two companions are a very attractive sorceress named Navarra Silifrey who calls the eastern country of Rasheman home and a Cormyrean man named Cryde Amblecrown who is a priest of Lathander out of Thunderstone. Both are more approachable, and Navarra more so. Both seem optimistic about our quest. I'm hoping to gain some mounts in the next town of Immersea so we'll be able to reach Shadowdale sooner.

Sir Ivan Brightflame,
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  09:00:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2 miles south of Tilverton's Scar, Cormyr
19th day of Marpenoth
Year of Lightning Storms
1374 DR

We've rested here for the time being, deciding to wait until morning to traverse old Tilverton town. The past few days have been rough going, considering we're still on foot and we've had to bypass two large orc encampments. The party voted me down for going in and disbursing justice to the vile creatures, saying the mission was more important than a handful of the ugly brutes. I may not feel the same but with Castle Krag close by I can rest my worries that they'll handle any problems orcs throw at them.

Morn has been eerily silent the closer we get to the Dalelands. I've asked him multiple times what his problem was but I get the silent treatment. If I had to guess, he's an outlaw and I fear I may have to turn him into the authorities if that's the case. A hero and companion he may be, but no ones above the law.

Speaking of companions, I think Navarra has shown some interest in me. Though I think she's too proud to admit it, I believe she finds the idea of me being a knight enticing. And hearing her stories of her home has passed the time rather quickly. I wonder how I'd fair in single combat with one of her berserker warriors or who would win in a spell battle between one of her Hathran sisters and a War Wizard?

Well the night grows dark and people say that Tilverton is an evil place with shadow that move and creatures of fearsome power. I must be at my best so it's with a heavy heart that I end my writing. Fair the night well.

Sir Ivan Brightflame,

Edited by - Diffan on 29 Dec 2009 09:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  09:07:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
North of Shadow Gap, Daggerdale
22nd day of Marpenoth
Year of Lightning Storms
1374 DR

I write this today after our first serious battle. I hate to admit it but without Morn's keen sense, we may have suffered a different fate. Among the rocks at the base of Shadow Gap, we were confronted by two creatures with bodies that were truly disgusting. A strange looking blob of eyes and teeth came at use with such swiftness that belied it's size. Morn called it a Gibbering Mouther and the sound it made was something I've never heard nor would ever want to hear again.

Though the effect did not hinder our party, its ferocious attacks and blinding spittle more than made up for it's debilitating, but ineffective, attack. Without hesitation I charged into battle. Gaining inspiration from Helm, I used a technique that let me strike with the weight of a mountain and sank my blade into one of the creatures. My allies did as they saw fit. Morn unleashed a barrage of missiles and moved around the battle field quicker than I thought possible while Navarra unleashed blast after blast of lightning. And were it not for the supportive aid Cryde gave us, the battle would've lasted that much longer.

I learned that one of the most annoying things about fighting these Gibbering Mouthers is their ability to warp the ground. After the initial attack, I was fighting to keep my footing as I started to skink in a quicksand puddle. Not deterred, I fought on using the techniques known to many crusaders and I was able to best my foe. The others fought well though Morn became blinded by the creatures acidic spit and Navarra suffered an attack that severely wounded her.

With the steady hands of Cryde, we've all healed up nicely and our rest is well deserved. However, I fear that this is just the beginning of our journey and we'll need more than prayers, spells, and steel to complete our job. May Helm watch over us that we see this to the end.

Sir Ivan Brightflame,
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  09:10:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10 miles south of Thistledale
28th day of Marpenoth
Year of Lightning Storms
1374 DR

Quite a few days have passed since my last entry. The weather has not favored us due to the abundant snowfall and frigid temperatures. Still, despite the onset of a bad winter, our goal has remained unchanged. We are currently on the outskirts of a small hamlet known locally as Thistledale, though I suspect it's not big enough to even warrant a spot on any map. Never the less, trouble has a way of finding us, even in a rat's nest like this.

Our venture into this town started out simple enough. Morn grudgingly said he knew of a shortcut that would take time off our trip if we cut through this backwater town. He said he knew the locals and they would be welcoming enough. How he knows of this place or these people is beyond me, but my convictions stands that he's probably an outlaw and has done wrong to these people in some way.

As we came upon the road into town, I noticed a large, burned out structure not far into the forest. I asked Morn about the building but I got no response. Big surprise there. Yet his behavior became tense and a bit hostile when I criticized it's lack of defenses and structural flaws. He told us to wait here while he scouted ahead for any enemies. After waiting eight hours and Navarra doing her own scouting did we realize that he might not coming back.

So now we're camped outside the burned out manor. Wading through the deepening snows at night isn't the best of ideas after all. Come morning, I'm sure we'll see signs of Morn. Cryde is ever the optimist, saying that he'll probably spend the night in town visiting old friends and whoring. My first thought was that he was dead or in the town's dungeon by now. But, the only way to be sure is for us to go in ourselves.

Sir Ivan Brightflame,
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  09:16:33  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cedar Creek Inn, Thistledale
29th day of Marpenoth
Year of Lightning Storms
1374 DR

The morning came and went and still no Morn. So we decided to make it to Thistledale ourselves. The going was tough, even with the sun melting much of the previous night's snowfall. A few hours before sundown we came into the village proper. It's not much to see. Four buildings, not one over three stories, and a corral for the horses were all that marked that this "town" of Thistledale even existed. The people were mostly farmers but I was surprised to find a strong militia presence too.

We made our way to the town hall to see if Morn had shown up. Inside, we found the mayor and an wood elf having a heated argument. The wood elf, from appearance, seemed to be your typical ranger or tracker. Leather armor, longbow, camouflage cloak, and a stern demeanor. We waited patiently while they argued, and then the elf stormed out.

Upon meeting Mayor Ferrandal, I found myself liking the man. He seemed to the kind of guy that took action, defended his people against lawlessness, and exuded charisma. The others in my party, especially Navarra, were put off by him saying that he was "overdoing it". I figured the guy was generally nice, and even more so to a party with a Purple Dragon leading it. We asked Mayor Ferrandal about our friend Morn, but he told us that we were the first new faces in town for almost two tendays.

With seemingly no luck, we took our troubles over to the Cedar Creek Inn. There we were met with a mix of hostility, fear, and hope. The patrons were mostly farmers and the looks they gave us ranged from anger to almost a plea for help. The town's soldiers faces on the other hand were much more grave. The bar-keep told us to drink up quickly and leave town before we're shown out. Not one to be daunted by a lowly inn-keeper, I refused. Of course the arguing ensued with Cryde and Navarra and I finally conceded to look for Morn before it got too dark.

Not ten yards from the Inn we were approached by the elf we saw arguing with the Mayor. He identified himself as Illandel Silverspear and that he was a friend of Morn. He told us to head down to the town cemetery where we found our friend. Then the elf was gone as if he had just vanished. We found Morn a short while later. There he stood, staring at two gravestones. The names engraved upon it's surface were Ardren Beskash and Melia Beskash, his parents. Morn finally told his story. Apparently the old burned out ruins we stayed at the night before was his old house, destroyed the night he returned home a year ago. It's destruction was blamed on him as were his parent's deaths by the Mayor Ferrandal, a Zhentarim soldier. Morn had no where else to go so he fled.

I for one felt the fool. That bastard Ferrandal played my like a lute and I actually respected the man. I swore I'd show no mercy when we went back to town to bring them to justice. Luckily for us, the mayor had similar notions. Before Morn had even finished his story, we were attacked with a barrage of arrows from the mayor and his own personal guards. Suddenly the fight was on.

My companions fought with the intensity and experience I've come to respect. Soon the cemetery-turned battleground was alight with bolts of sizzling lightning, bow fire, and the rays of searing light. I engaged the Zhent myself. We traded blows for a short while, each of us getting the feel for another and soon it became a game of endurance. Each of us were evenly matched and the duel could be won by either of us. In the first few seconds, I realized that his men were just as capable as my friends and we were out numbered.

The battle soon turned for the worse as a Zhent wizard hit Navarra with a stunning blast of fire, throwing her to the ground. The cleric was in a fight for his life as he battled a Banite and a first class swordsman. Morn was faring no better, keeping the other four archers busy. I knew our chances were slim.

As if on cue, arrows streaked out from the forest. Some of the Zhents went down in that first attack which gave Morn the upper hand. Their wizard went down in a hail of arrows while Cryde blinded the Banite. For myself, I was tiring fast and bleeding out to boot. Ferrandal was good, but he made a critical mistake and slipped in the snow. This gave me the chance to end his life with the plunge of my blade wraithbane.

After the battle, Navarra had to be taken into town for Cryde to perform his healing. She was in bad shape and only due to our few healing potions was she able to survive the trip back. With the end of the Zhent's rein at our hand the townsfolk's attitude improved greatly. I can't thank enough the elven ranger Silverspear for his crucial timing and spot-on accuracy. His archery kept us alive and gave us a fighting chance. The villagers gave us food and lodgings for free and there is talk of a celebration on the morrow. Though morale is good, its over shadowed by the Zhentarim occupation of the Dalelands and the constant fear that this small town will once again be overrun. If this place has been compromised, I can only fear what has happened in Shadowdale.

Sir Ivan Brightflame,

Edited by - Diffan on 29 Dec 2009 14:06:50
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  12:36:46  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, I enjoyed playing those mods.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  12:37:33  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  14:38:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Thanks. I DM'ed the Cormyr campaign and ended up DMPCing the Cleric because one of our players dropped out. And when we started the Shadowdale adventure my other friend DMed that but I was reluctant to play the cleric yet again, so he's pretty much all-time DMPC, lol. And strangely enough, it fits because he doesn't over-shadow the other PCs and our DM doesn't pull punches when it comes to RPing the character or playing him as a regular PC.

BTW, so far all of the storyline has been pre-adventure to get our group associated and involved with the Dales, so I haven't even scratched the surface of the actual adventure. I just hope I remember how things went cuz it's been a while.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2021 :  20:59:29  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blatant thread necromancy, all consequences accepted:
Is there more to be recorded to this campaign from Sir Ivan's perspective?
I want to check the man who fought Mel to a standstill until the wyverns came.
It will help my campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2021 :  01:30:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Blatant thread necromancy, all consequences accepted:
Is there more to be recorded to this campaign from Sir Ivan's perspective?
I want to check the man who fought Mel to a standstill until the wyverns came.
It will help my campaign.

I wish there was. Still, as remember how most if it went down, how we fought a lich, and how we secured the aid of the elves to help fight the Zhents in Shadowdale. Sir Ivan's stats are on my FR NPC Generator page.

His personality is that he's a loyal soldier to the Crown and to his friends, the ones he made here in this adventure. He's a devoted follower of Helm, having levels in Crusader to gain Divine inspiration to help his cause. His father and Uncle are both former Purple Dragon Knights and his cousin is also a member of the organization. Her name is Ardalis 'Ardy' Brightflame, found in the Purple Dragon Knight example character in the Complete Warrior book.

After defeating the Zhents and Scyllua, he saw the significant advantage of air superiority and that's why he bequeathed the Steel Regent to allow him to create the Pegasus Knights of Cormyr (you can find their Prestige Class if you search for it).

So, while he split from his friends as they went on to nearly complete the third adventure (Anauroch: Empire of Shade) he tirelessly worked to get the squadr off the ground - so to speak. His work paid off and eventually he found himself gaining ranks quickly. He's now the Battlemaster of the North near the northern Stormhorns and patrols the Stonelands.

This is essentially where he and Mel square off.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2021 :  02:18:38  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan,
Thanks for the information you provided. While the party still wants to deal with the ogre magi empire in Amn, they know this is no kick-in-door operation.
Cormyr has not proven a hospitable ground for recruiting mercenaries for foreign operations.
Mel has been the devil's advocate. Sir Ivan Brightflame might be the devil if the PC's play their cards wrong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000