Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 (4E) Karshimis, the Tyrant-Primordial of Shyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  05:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As far as I can tell, the only references to Karshimis are as follows:

FRCG p90
quote:
Generations of Shyran genasi suffered under the brutal rule of a primordial named Karshimis.... The transported genasi rejoiced upon discovering that their overlord’s citadel of burning ice had not made the trip with them, and set about creating a realm of their own.

FRCG p207
quote:
Other such structures are rumoured to exist, such as the county-sized citadel of burning ice that brooded over the savage continent of Shyr to the east, before the Blue Breath of Change altered the world forever and Shyr faded to obscurity. What has become of Shyr and is primordial despot Karshimis is unknown and perhaps unknowable.

It appears that Karshimis combines both fire and cold. What is also interesting is that the Akanul background benefit provides resistance to fire and cold, as well as to thunder. Furthermore, the first Airspur article in Dragon mentions the free-floating elemental spires around Airspur that can discharge fire, cold or electrical energy.

What I am now trying to do, ideally with the help of fellow posters here, is paint a picture of Karshimis that is consistent with this limited canon.

To start with, Karshimis is imprisoned in a crystalline structure beneath and within the land of Akanul. The elemental spires are actually shards of this prison as the prison exists slightly outside normal reality. Genasi heroes from Shyr used the energies of the Spellplague and the merging of worlds to power a ritual to do this so as to free their brethren. A further side-effect of this imprisonment within Akanul is the natural resistances of its inhabitants.

On that note, Karshimis combines the energies of cold, fire and thunder, with thunder representing his wracking and quaking of the earth. Interestingly, Piranoth, the BBEG of Revenge of the Giants is also a primordial of cold, earth and fire. Hmmm. At least I can use his picture.

For the sake of symmetry (which I love), I will change the third energy type of Airspur's elemental spires to thunder rather than electricity.

(I will edit in more soon.)

Regards
NXB

Edited by - Neil Bishop on 19 Dec 2009 05:52:18

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  03:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you'll have alot better luck with this and other 4e related questions on the WotC boards or other such place. The keep is an awesome library for anything pre-4e though.

Anyway, more to the point; is there anything more specific you want input for? All I've got so far is a fairly nifty mental image of a huge ice locked mountain range composed of big dudes fingers, head, etc pushing up from the top of his prison. Somehow it's locked in my head that Karshimis is physically on the same scale as his digs.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  02:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries, GenericCleric. I actually found the ideas I was looking for on rpg.net. I avoid the WotC boards as much as possible. Yes, I am aware that this is not really a 4E board (and I know that the Sage will be along any minute now to say the Candlekeep is for all editions... which it is but I realise that 4E is not of interest of most posters here) but I thought I would try anyway.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  03:38:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's fair enough, Neil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000