Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Shadowless
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  06:07:45  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello I'm reading Shadowstorm right now after reading Shadowbred....It's really a great novel, filled with great characters ...I encountered some instances where Elyril's (a character in the novel) hound eats shadows of people. Surprisingly, the effects seem to be none or little...So, what actually happens if your shadow gets eaten?

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  14:54:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You start losing money at your daily shadow puppet shows...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  17:43:55  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not too mention being constantly harassed by a pre-pubscent boy flying around wanting to fight pirates.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  18:29:45  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if you don't have any puppet shows? Are shadows that important for puppet shows? And pirates? I'm a bit confused? Are there pirates in the Shadoworld? I think I was able to have a glimpse of the Shadoworld pure when Cale magicked and entire ship to it, there were huge bat thingys circling all over...Are there pirate ships in the Shadoworld too?

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  19:36:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem... I apparently forgot the icon in my post jokingly referencing Peter Pan.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  20:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if I were a PC in that situation, I would argue that it makes you completely cut off from the Shadow Weave, and Shar's influence as a whole. Which would also have negative connotations. I would play the character sort of "innocent" of morality, and without a dark side to his soul at all he would be unable to recognize evil, no matter how blatant it was in front of him.

Ooo...I got all philosophy-y there....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  02:58:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

What if you don't have any puppet shows? Are shadows that important for puppet shows? And pirates? I'm a bit confused? Are there pirates in the Shadoworld? I think I was able to have a glimpse of the Shadoworld pure when Cale magicked and entire ship to it, there were huge bat thingys circling all over...Are there pirate ships in the Shadoworld too?

We were making jokes. Shadow puppets are when you use your hands to make shadows on the wall that resemble things -- like linking your thumbs and waving your fingers to make a butterfly, and so on.

If I remember correctly, one of the planes in Beyond Countless Doorways had something going on that could cause someone to lose their shadow, and specific consequences of it. Off the top of my head, that's the only place I can think of where a person loses their shadow and has a in-game effect.

That said, I think it'd be fun to have a PC lose his shadow, and then become hounded by a paladin who was convinced the PC was some sort of vampire...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Dec 2009 03:02:22
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  05:17:41  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Races of Faerun (p.126) it lists not having a shadow as one potential "physical" manifestation of outsider blood for a Tiefling. In fact the no shadow/no reflection combo is one of my favorites for Tiefling characters because its subtle, but when an NPC notices, it REALLY freaks them out.

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  12:44:30  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I read the book, but I always assumed her dog eating shadows was just a hallucination or delusion on her part. She was quite, quite mad after all.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  14:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to rememeber something in old ravenloft, where if a person lost his shadow. Slowly his constitution would diminish. But that's what crawling at the back of my brain. But I can't think of any Forgotten Realms connection..

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  02:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, one more thing I wanted to add about Elyril and her little pooch.

I believe that much of what we saw with Elyril was a drug-induced hallucination. I'm pretty sure her dog was just a dog, that it didn't talk and that it couldn't eat anybody's shadow or do much but lick itself (if it was even there at all. Did anybody else ever refer to it? I don't remember...).

As you said, the man didn't even seem to notice it was happening, which would be pretty much impossible, I would guess.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000