Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Mythical elves in Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  19:44:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has there ever been even the slightest hint that the Rockseer elves or the Snow elves might canonically exist in the realms? I like the idea that the Rockseers are the Miyeritari Green elves who Descended with the Dark elves from Miyeritar as Lord_Karsus (with the most valuable help of MarkusTay) suggests at Realms Vault. But is there any official evidence pointing to it? What did actually happen to the Green Elves of Miyeritar?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 12 Dec 2009 19:33:37

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  22:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall another thread addressing snow elves and the like not long ago... there is no canon specifically addressing mythic elves in the realms AFAIK.

As for the Miyeriteri green elves, I shall leave that question to sages greater than I.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  23:26:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no official placing for snow elves in the Realms. But some D&D lore, mostly from DRAGON #155 and the 3e Frostburn tome, which I suppose could be transposed to FR with slight tinkering.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  23:42:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the Rockseer elves, back in the day... I'm not sure that connecting them to the Descent is such a great idea, though. I mean, it works for Core, but I'm not liking the idea as much for the Realms. If I was going to port them into the Realms, I think I'd have them be a separate group that fled underground (perhaps to fleeing a homeland being overrun by an orc horde, or fleeing from another group of elves during the Crown Wars). They could even be a group whose homeland was lost during the Sundering.

I'd also locate them somewhere either very far below Faerūn, or somewhere far enough from everything else to explain why no one has found them before.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  20:12:49  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your answers,
Talking about mystical elves to the far North: is it known where prince Lamruil's city Auseriel is located? And what of his travels with Araevin to find his betrothed? Has a novel been written about that? Will it be written (pst..Rich Baker!)?

Drmg155. very interesting... When reading about Tarsellis Meunniduin a question came to mind: might he be considered as a FR-demipower, if not deity, given his relation with Solonor and Lolth/Megwandir (I knew I had seen that name in a FR sourcebook and I found it! Success! It is one of her aliases in 2e "demihuman deities")? And might the usage of that very name not point to the actual existence of Tarsellis and his followers in the Realms?
I like to think of it as a hint.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  20:50:28  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and has the names Megwandir or Tarsellis occured in any other Realmslore?

Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  19:18:38  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked about Megwandir before. Karsis said that Megwandir is one of Lolths aliases from demihuman deities and that Megwandir is/was a snow elf deity, or the consort of one, according to the deimihuman deities author. Or something like that. This was like six months ago and I dont have the information saved from my email.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  11:04:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I GAVE that idea to Lord Karsus. I found those Elves, turned him onto them, and told him how I'd spin them.

I also wrote the article on the 'Mythical Snow Elves', and a good chunk of the Drow stuff. Odd-ball elves are 'my thing'.

I don't care too much for the normal, 'Tolkienesque' kind.

At first I thought they were meant to be in Faerūn because of the mention of the nearby High Moor, but that is just a common name. Also, using the Realms is suggested right on pg.1 of the Night Below product... but it's merely a suggestion.

However,if you were to imagine that it is indeed the same High Moor, then the back-story of Miyeritar fits perfectly.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2009 11:06:33
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  20:37:55  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then Markustay I must thank you a lot as I am a great fan of that theory. Much Kudos and acknowledgemends for that, and if you find more evidence that might suggest their existance do not hesitate to let a scribble fall upon this scroll about it.

@ Seedigi if we a referring to the same text, then Megwandir was the name Lloth let herself be known by when courting Tarsellis, I'd just like to know if that makes Tarsellis canon (as Megwandir is canon)?

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  12:00:01  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and since you wrote the Snow Elves article I think you are the best to tell me if the Tlok'Olonti are an invension of yours or mentioned in any realms product. I didn't understand from the text where they lived on the globe. What language do they speak? It doesn't seem like Ulutiun. Are the Ishigaq some sort of snow lythari?
Anyway, I like both the rockseer and snow elf articles so:well done!

Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  23:38:37  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana
@ Seedigi if we a referring to the same text, then Megwandir was the name Lloth let herself be known by when courting Tarsellis, I'd just like to know if that makes Tarsellis canon (as Megwandir is canon)?

I guess it would have to. It would be hard to be something if it doesnt exist.
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2009 :  21:56:05  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Tarsellis is FR canon but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has worshippers in Faerun or that snow elves do exist in faerun but they might just as well, other than a few planar interlopers. On the french wikipedias FR-section the snow elves are listed under the name Dae-Tel'Quessir. Has anyone else seen that name used?

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2014 :  21:58:00  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesss! :

Tarsellis is the patron god of those
known as snow elves, who mainly
inhabit the Crystalmist mountains of
Oerth. (Rumor has it that snow elves
also exist on the far reaches of the Spine
of the World or even the High Ice portion
of Anauroch in Faerūn, though this
is unproven.)

From Dragon #236

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  00:58:08  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...)
What did actually happen to the Green Elves of Miyeritar?

Not sure if it was actually written, but it seems they are the forefathers of the Misty Forest, Laughing Hollow and maybe even some High Forest green elves.

The GHotR tells of some Miyeritari elves fleeing to Illefarn during the Crown Wars, and of some clans being responsible at the founding of Evereska.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  17:00:46  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! Thanks, Barastir! I'll be looking into those ^_^

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  19:08:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the slow response (3 YEARS?!) - I only noticed this now.
quote:

Oh, and since you wrote the Snow Elves article I think you are the best to tell me if the Tlok'Olonti are an invension of yours or mentioned in any realms product. I didn't understand from the text where they lived on the globe. What language do they speak? It doesn't seem like Ulutiun. Are the Ishigaq some sort of snow lythari?
Anyway, I like both the rockseer and snow elf articles so:well done!
On the cover of the novel Evermeet: Island of Elves we see a picture of that city the elves were heading for to build. Not only were we never told where it was, but it is already abandoned as of 3e (like so much 'novel lore', it got dismissed 5 minutes after the book was published... {sigh}). Thus, it is somewhere in the far north - so far north, in fact, that it is pretty-much 'north of everything'. Picture it being quite a bit north of Icewind Dale, within the arctic circle.

I had to actually go back and re-read that - my original is long-lost. Aside from a few editing problems, not half bad. I writed that the goodest! I'd probably change the name 'Estefan'... not sure what I was thinking.

Anyhow - all of those races are solely my creation, or rather, my interpretations of existing races, through the eyes of the traveling elves and local natives. The 1st 'hostiles' were yetis, and the 2nd were neanderthals (not real ones - the ones from the 3e MM's... I like THEM, just NOT the name). The language is also my creation - I did use a word from the Greyhawk setting: "Shnai" means snow in 'the Cold tongue' (ancient debased Suel dialect from the Greyhawk setting) - not sure where I was going with that. Maybe trying to infer that the human portion of their bloodline originated there? As for the rest - the language is probably a pidgin-tongue, comprised of human (Suel?), orc, giant, Ulutiun (which they do have interaction with), etc. The 'Olonti' portion of the their name (Tlok'Olonti) comes from the Ondonti - peaceful farmer-orcs that live in the northern Moonsea region, and time has shortened/changed it to 'olonti' (I guess my thinking there was that one tribe of Ondonti had been driven FAR north by the enslaving Zhents).

Yes, I meant for the ishigaq to be a group of Lythari living in the 'Faerie Ice' of the Great Glacier. There may be more then one group of them (there may be more then one tribe of Tlok'Olonti a this point, for that matter). Its really your call what to do with these stories.

Huldrafolk are from RW folklore, and are very similar to elves, but they have tails. At the time I wrote that, I was trying to work them in as the Kara-Tur equivalent of elves (a group called the 'Maraloi' are mentioned in a few K-T sources). The Maraloi live/lived in the Ama basin, in the far northern portion of Kara-Tur, but are rumored to have died-off (or just left?). I was also working on the K-T project at the same time, and I was trying to bridge the two. When you consider that the entire northern edge of the map is really quite a bit smaller then it appears (distortion through mapping a round world onto a flat surface), all of these regions are actually VERY close together (hence my assumption of all this interaction going on between them, unbeknownst to the people of the south).

Glad you like both articles. I only wrote the snow one - I just gave my basic ideas for the Rockseer to Lord Karsus and he ran with it.

EDIT: The word 'igloo' sticks in my craw a bit, but I used it because thats what I was describing, and it seemed a bit silly to just make-up a word for something that was already in another language. Like everything else we read 'in world', just assume thats the modern, English translation (for our benefit) of a word in The Forgotten Realms (so they aren't saying 'igloo', just like they aren't speaking English any of the other times).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Dec 2014 19:14:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000