Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Paul S. Kemp has ended his relationship with WotC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  18:31:00  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
really I like the githvyrik, ''yap yap little dog'', Rel's domain and Corpsehaven but I'm not sad
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  19:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I have mixed feelings, with the upside being that he won't be doing a series of books about the son of his main character. It sounded like a disaster in the making to me and this way he gets to go out on a high point. The Spellplague has caused all these weird attempts to keep plotlines going 100 years later. If you weren't writing about an elf and his interactions with other elves, you were hard pressed to make the leap plausibly.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  19:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow....this is truly disappointing. Paul is one of the finest author's in the Realms. I've loved every single one of his books. A sad day indeed.

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  04:21:41  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am utterly torn. The only book series I was looking forward to post spellplague......

And no, that is not meant as a slight towards all the other great Authors here. I have just been in love with certain series since I got into Forgotten realms years ago, and they have all been dying without hope of return because of 4th edition, and it has just killed my interest in buying any more Wizards of the coast books, or supporting the direction things are going.

I absolutely hate 4th edition. Playing it, and the fact that it killed so many favorites and series.

And now, the one series I was truly into and very happy that it was left a very good lead into 4th edition to keep me interested has been crushed.

This officially ends my relationship with Wizard's of the coast as well. No Elaine Cunningham's reclamation and no Paul Kemp's Godborn = I am officially done with the realms. Ill still stop by here to chat and talk about the old good times, but this is the nail in the coffin to me.

I understand some do not want negativity towards wizards, and that is not solely what I am getting at. But come on......

No "reclamation"? One of the books I was most looking forward to? I understand that there were circumstances involved in its cancellation, but in a series with Characters you know and love, you want to know that eventually, there will be some resolution. Hope of said resolution was virtually taken off the table completely. Given all that has been given to the realms, certain long term authors should have rights to write in whatever timeline they want, whenever they want.

Counselors & Kings by Cunningham I was also quite fond of, and it has been rendered obsolete because of all these changes.

Forcing authors to move 100 years into the future is absolutely wrong. they should be given a choice.

Many of my favorite characters from Salvatore's books were virtually forced to meet their end due to the jumping timeline, despite still having many many places their stories could have gone and books I would have bought.......

And now, this? The book I was most looking forward to above all others ?????

I don't need to know the details. This is what I do know. As of now, The realms has virtually no stories and characters that captivate me anymore(Aside from another Drizzt book).

I was hoping to read a few more stories, from Kemp and others, which would help me better adjust to the new environment, and help expand the new lore. Kemp's was one of the series which had a great lead into 100 years into the future. Now, I do not know where to even begin. In fact, I am too old to begin getting into an entire new landscape, devoid of the characters which lead to to love the world to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  17:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I am going to say is that like Elaine Cunningham, the loss of Paul Kemp is a tragic loss for FR fans. In regards to WotC, I want to say more, but I do not want to violate the intentions of the OP. That, and I don't really need to say what I want to say because most everyone has already heard it before, and many have said it before.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  03:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul was one of my favorite Realms authors, and it was a joy over the past few years to watch his characters develop and watch his writing likewise do so. He's really damn talented, and for whatever the reason may have been for them, WotC is losing a very talented author.

Because of the Spellplague and other reasons, I have not purchased a single WotC product for 4e FR or that edition in general, but I fully planned on buying a copy of Paul's novels because I enjoy his writing and really liked many of his characters. That's a shame.

I don't read Star Wars fiction, but if Paul ends up writing any fantasy work outside of that franchise in the future, I'll be there to read it. I wish him luck. :)

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  13:05:54  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

From his Livejournal blog:

quote:
Normally, I would not write anything about this, but I feel obliged to let those of you awaiting the release of Godborn know that I have ended my relationship with Wizards of the Coast. As a result, I will not be writing Godborn and my contribution to the Forgotten Realms will end with The Twilight War. I sincerely apologize to those of you who were awaiting The Cycle of Night.

All that happened here is that Wizards made a decision that they thought was appropriate (and was, in fact, based on perfectly valid reasons), but that decision conflicted with what I thought was appropriate. We tried to resolve matters in good faith, but it just wasn't to be. It's unfortunate, but it goes that way sometimes. And that's all I'll have to say about it so please don't ask for further details.

I remain grateful to Wizards for publishing my novels, and in particular have nothing but the highest of praise for my editor, Phil Athans. Honestly, my primary regret here is that I feel like I've let a lot of you down. So again, please accept my apologies if you were one of those awaiting Godborn.

We live in interesting times.

If Paul is reading this, congratulations on making this decision. Sometimes even the best of business relationships have to change. It can be a little scary but you have all the right skills to continue your success.

May inspiration always guide your pen (or your fingers on the keyboard).

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  23:27:20  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really sad for WOTC, and really sad for the FR fans. I am one of those who had Mr. Kemp's novels as one of the few reasons to keep buying stuff from WOTC. The others being the novels of Schend, Greenwood and Byers, so i guess i will keep at it for a while longer. I considered Kemp to be the most original author in the realms, and i really thought he gave it some sorely needed inspiration and image. I hope Paul Kemp has great success elsewhere, wherever his work will take him. I am sure he will continue writing enthralling novels in whatever setting he writes in. I am also sure his other fans, along with me, will follow his work wherever it will take him.
Now.. Where is that remarkably slim serving wench? I am in dire need of a new tankard to go with this rather dusty tome!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  06:25:16  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A loss for WotC and for the FR fan community = a gain for Paizo and for the Pathfinder/Golarion fan community?

PS: Pathfinder fiction is in the works folks... The great Mona said so on the Paizo boards at some point. Not sure of the status though 'cause I'm too busy gaming with the Pathfinder Adventure Paths (four current campaigns going on, approx 13 hours of gaming a week total... )
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  07:22:15  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

A loss for WotC and for the FR fan community = a gain for Paizo and for the Pathfinder/Golarion fan community?

PS: Pathfinder fiction is in the works folks... The great Mona said so on the Paizo boards at some point. Not sure of the status though 'cause I'm too busy gaming with the Pathfinder Adventure Paths (four current campaigns going on, approx 13 hours of gaming a week total... )

Well I was there during GenCon at the Paizo booth chatting with Wes Schneider when someone* walked up and said something to the effect of, "So I hear that you're going to be doing Pathfinder fiction. I'm interested."
*It wasn't Mr Kemp, but it was someone who has written FR fiction before (in case they didn't want to say anything if things are in the works I won't name them). :)

That said, Kemp coming to play in the Golarion sandbox too would be awesome.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 08 Nov 2009 07:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  09:28:25  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

It might be time for me to head over to the Paizo/Pathfinder forums. What's the link again? Although, I heard the forums were tricky to navigate.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  10:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forums. At first glance they seem to be tricky, but after a short time you should feeel comfortable.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 08 Nov 2009 10:06:47
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  13:09:39  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Forums. At first glance they seem to be tricky, but after a short time you should feeel comfortable.

Thanks.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  04:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I'm out of touch for a little while and come back to this? I am truly sad, but I wish Paul the best and look forward to anything he produces.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  08:43:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These things happen, as sad as this may be. None the less I wish you all the best for your future projects, Paul.

And, I believe I speek for all of us here at Candlekeep:

We would be glad to see you here at the Keep every now and than. There most certainly is still lots of information you need to share with us about your FR-books and all the unique characters you created for the setting so far.

Hope to see you around!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  16:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the saying goes ... gæð a wyrd swa hio scel! or, in other words, Wyrd (Fate) goes ever as she shall. The Realms will lose one of its finest, the community though will always have the novels. From first to last, these novels rank amongst the best fantasy and not just FR literature I have come across and that is something that will always remain. I just hope that Paul keeps on writing and sharing his stories with us, be they FR or not!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  19:02:33  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IcelanderThe integrity to say 'no' when someone wants you to write drek is important. If more artists had it, we'd see less of things like Basic Instinct 2, Son of the Mask, Mac and Me, Dumb and Dumberer and Forgotten Realms 4e.

Actually we don't know whether he was asked to write drek or merely insisted on writing something that was running against what has been decided (maybe even with an agreement between designers and authors) to be the future development of the FR continuity
quote:
Originally posted by IcelanderPaul S. Kemp explicitly said that his ending of the business relationship was due to a decision made by WotC which he thought was inappropriate. In other words, WotC and Kemp had differing ideas and rather than conform to whatever WotC wanted, Kemp opted out.

And in a shared world setting this is not something that automatically speaks for the author.

Now if he had been doing his own personal thing and refused to have his publisher meddle with his world, that would be one thing. But in a shared world every author is expected to coordinate with what all the others are doing and if two or more prefered plots contradict each other a solution has to be worked out. And this means that at least one side has to change her plot.
quote:
Originally posted by IcelanderThe only assumption I've made was that the decision made by WotC was of an artistic nature, i.e. related to the work of the author and/or the setting, rather than being of a personal nature.

Annother assumption you made was that Paul was right for insisting on his version, which can not automatically be assumed to be true in a shared world setting. Maybe Paul's vision was running contrary to annother author's vision who already had the approval of the design team?

Maybe everything you assume is correct. Maybe Paul was asked to write drek for no particular reason and he did the only right thing by ending his business relationship with WotC. I am just saying that you should not automatically assume this

Edited by - Mirtek on 09 Nov 2009 19:11:13
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  20:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have absolutely no inside information on why Paul left WotC. But in light of some of the comments in this thread, I thought it might be appropriate to mention that writers sometimes leave a particular publisher or a particular franchise for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with content and creativity. Sometimes it's all about money. I realize that some fans don't like hearing that, but we are called "professional writers" for a reason.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  02:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Sometimes it's all about money. I realize that some fans don't like hearing that, but we are called "professional writers" for a reason.
Well said, Richard. Remember everybody, Paul's got a family to support, including increasingly cute twin boys. He's got to do what's right for him and for them.

Also, 4e Realms is not drek. Period.

There. Just making sure my stance was perfectly clear.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  04:25:15  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Well said, Richard. Remember everybody, Paul's got a family to support, including increasingly cute twin boys. He's got to do what's right for him and for them.

There. Just making sure my stance was perfectly clear.

Cheers

Maybe not to you but thats not the topic. I think it sucks that Paul left. "The great writers" are leaving the franchise can replace them. The Grubbs left and Elaine Cunningham left WotC was able to replace them with people like Paul and Erik up there. Now those newer people are moving on and WotC doesn't/hasn't made it clear who their "heirs" are and are without those types of authors in the wing (ignoring the maiin two of Ed and R.A Salvatore). Maybe theyll have enough open-book contest as they move on and existing authors become "flagship" people and leave spaces for "secondary" authors?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  04:55:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeeDiGi

quote:

Maybe not to you but thats not the topic.
Yes, but that didn't stop the opinion from being voiced, and I felt it was reasonable to contradict it. Some stuff in the 4e Realms might be pretty bad, sure, but that doesn't mean everything is.

I am quite happy to stick to the topic.

I also find it very sad that Paul is no longer writing WotC novels, but then, I'm happy as long as he's writing anything.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  06:02:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. As Wooly said back on the 3rd:- "So let's not use this as an excuse for yet another round of ranting about WotC."

Now, let us move on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  13:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, but that didn't stop the opinion from being voiced, and I felt it was reasonable to contradict it. Some stuff in the 4e Realms might be pretty bad, sure, but that doesn't mean everything is.

I also find it very sad that Paul is no longer writing WotC novels, but then, I'm happy as long as he's writing anything.

Cheers

On a sidenote, it is "dreck", not "drek" - unless you were referring to Yiddish? Then again, it should be capitalized in either way. Of course, nec scire fas est omnia.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  13:57:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheers

On a sidenote, it is "dreck", not "drek" - unless you were referring to Yiddish? Then again, it should be capitalized in either way. Of course, nec scire fas est omnia.

It's a holdover from Shadowrun (which is the same as the Yiddish).

But we digress...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  14:11:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is it that my 1800th post would be about crap?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  20:15:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine Cunningham

This was a surprising thread. I've read about Paul Kemp's decision elsewhere, but this is the first time I learned of mine.

For the record, I have never stated nor implied that I will not write in the Realms again.

It is not my intention to hijack this thread. Please carry on.

Cross Posted from the thread/scroll in the Wizards Forums.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 11 Nov 2009 02:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  22:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

It's a holdover from Shadowrun (which is the same as the Yiddish).
Heh. I just assumed it was a made-up word, the meaning of which seemed quite clear from context.

quote:

But we digress...
True that!

So. Sucks about Paul, huh?

I have no doubt, however, that he made the right decision in whatever situation he found himself in, and I look forward to his future work, wherever and whatever it might be. These past few months, I've been seriously considering getting back into the lore-stuffed pack-rat den that is the expanded Star Wars universe, *just* because Paul is writing in it. (I used to be *quite* the fan a long time ago . . . in a galaxy far, far away . . .)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 10 Nov 2009 22:20:50
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  22:47:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have looked at this and guidance provided by the moderators.

Paul indeed will be missed from the Realms by many, however my brief experience with him it strikes me as good that he departs.
This though based on limited exposure to his writings and I expect that he has done more good for the Realms then what I perceive he did damage to the Realms.

All in all I wish him, and his well, in whatever he does in the future.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  13:28:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have absolutely no inside information on why Paul left WotC. But in light of some of the comments in this thread, I thought it might be appropriate to mention that writers sometimes leave a particular publisher or a particular franchise for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with content and creativity. Sometimes it's all about money. I realize that some fans don't like hearing that, but we are called "professional writers" for a reason.

Thanks for pointing this out, Richard.

In situations like this, many people assume that WotC must somehow be at fault. That isn't always the case. Sometimes it's as simple as an author getting sick and missing a deadline, or requesting that a deadline be moved so they they can give priority to a new opportunity.

After Reclamation was cancelled, I spent the better part of several days online refuting the WotC-bashing. Nothing will stop the speculation when such things occur, but I appreciate the efforts of Candlekeep moderators to keep the discourse limited to what is known.

Why?

From time to time I do a name search on certain forums to catch up with reader comments, and I was surprised to see my name mentioned on a thread on the Wizards forum discussing Paul Kemp's decision to end his relationship with WotC. People were stating as fact that I had done the same.

This is what comes of speculation. I strongly urge you to stick with what you know, because what you think MIGHT BE the story will probably be repeated, reposted, and eventually accepted as factual. Please keep in mind that writers are not just bylines on a book: We are real people who have to live with the online biographies you write for us.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  13:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

Thanks for pointing this out, Richard.

In situations like this, many people assume that WotC must somehow be at fault. That isn't always the case. Sometimes it's as simple as an author getting sick and missing a deadline, or requesting that a deadline be moved so they they can give priority to a new opportunity.

After Reclamation was cancelled, I spent the better part of several days online refuting the WotC-bashing. Nothing will stop the speculation when such things occur, but I appreciate the efforts of Candlekeep moderators to keep the discourse limited to what is known.

Why?

From time to time I do a name search on certain forums to catch up with reader comments, and I was surprised to see my name mentioned on a thread on the Wizards forum discussing Paul Kemp's decision to end his relationship with WotC. People were stating as fact that I had done the same.

This is what comes of speculation. I strongly urge you to stick with what you know, because what you think MIGHT BE the story will probably be repeated, reposted, and eventually accepted as factual. Please keep in mind that writers are not just bylines on a book: We are real people who have to live with the online biographies you write for us.

Very well said. A cold hard fact of life is that people tend to believe what they want to believe be it true or false. People also tend to be gullible in believing what others tell them, be it factual or fictional. The internet makes all of this worse and even harder to keep facts separate from hearsay.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000