Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Paul S. Kemp has ended his relationship with WotC
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  22:04:22  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From his Livejournal blog:

quote:
Normally, I would not write anything about this, but I feel obliged to let those of you awaiting the release of Godborn know that I have ended my relationship with Wizards of the Coast. As a result, I will not be writing Godborn and my contribution to the Forgotten Realms will end with The Twilight War. I sincerely apologize to those of you who were awaiting The Cycle of Night.

All that happened here is that Wizards made a decision that they thought was appropriate (and was, in fact, based on perfectly valid reasons), but that decision conflicted with what I thought was appropriate. We tried to resolve matters in good faith, but it just wasn't to be. It's unfortunate, but it goes that way sometimes. And that's all I'll have to say about it so please don't ask for further details.

I remain grateful to Wizards for publishing my novels, and in particular have nothing but the highest of praise for my editor, Phil Athans. Honestly, my primary regret here is that I feel like I've let a lot of you down. So again, please accept my apologies if you were one of those awaiting Godborn.

'Tis a sad day since I was truly looking forward to Godborn and his new trilogy.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 03 Nov 2009 22:07:54

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  22:51:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, before this gets started... We do not know any of the details, here. Paul himself says he's not going to say anything more about it. So we need to respect that, and not bug him for details he's not going to share.

And we need to keep in mind that for his own reasons, Paul himself chose to walk away. It's not a WotC conspiracy and they're not being the evil empire some consider them to be. Business decisions were made, and Paul decided it was better to move on. That's it. That's all we know, and all we're likely to ever know.

So let's not use this as an excuse for yet another round of ranting about WotC. I just want to keep this thread civil.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  23:01:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly... I wanted to say something similar, but words had failed me (I was minutes from leaving work... )

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  23:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I have said here in public and to Paul in person, I deeply respect and admire Paul's writing, and I think the Realms will miss his contributions of such a high caliber. His writing exercised considerable influence on my work, and I can't thank him enough for that.

There's no doubt in my mind that he will go on to bigger and better things, and I wish him all the luck in so doing.

Also, I intend to read all his books I can get my hands on.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  23:49:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I'm truly sorry for you.

As an aspiring writer myself, I can only sit here and imagine about some of the difficulties you may have faced with respect to this significant decision.

I know from the experiences of other authors I've chatted with during similar negotiations, how both stressful and trying these times can be. I hope you can weather this particular storm with the same determination and strength you've long been known for.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  23:51:41  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So let's not use this as an excuse for yet another round of ranting about WotC.

Ah .. come on ... it's so much fun ... darn.

<kicking a stone, putting hands in pockets, and walking away pouting>

JK

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  01:43:53  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truly saddened to hear this. Paul's novels are among the finest I have read and he will be missed from the Realms. But as Erik mentioned I know he will move on to other things and I for one look forward to whatever he does next.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  02:21:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His next book: Star Wars: Crosscurrent. Due out Jan 2010.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  02:52:17  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw man! That's it for me then...

This is my personal 500 years timejump regarding realms novels...

No, actually it is even worse than that...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  03:44:45  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I wonder if you need any knowledge of Star Wars to read this one? I've seen the movies but never read a Star Wars novel
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  04:03:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I wonder if you need any knowledge of Star Wars to read this one? I've seen the movies but never read a Star Wars novel

It's main character, Jaden Korr, was featured in the Jedi Knight video games, as well as a few other sources here and there. The story itself will include events from the Great Hyperspace War [about 5,000 years before A New Hope], and the 'Legacy of the Force' era [around 40 years after Episode IV].

I'd imagine a basic knowledge of that material would be helpful, but not required, to enjoy Crosscurrent. Alternatively, you could simply read the entries for those subjects at the Wookieepedia and learn a little about them.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  04:14:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there are a LOT of new novels. Fortunately, the main character (Jaden Korr) has only been featured in Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy videogame and, from what I've read of description, doesn't involve any of the central characters or main plots of other novels.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  04:38:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speechless...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  06:38:56  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear that Mr. Kemp has moved on. I've enjoyed his writing and it would have pained me to see him trying to write in the new setting WotC is selling as the Forgotten Realms.

The integrity to say 'no' when someone wants you to write drek is important. If more artists had it, we'd see less of things like Basic Instinct 2, Son of the Mask, Mac and Me, Dumb and Dumberer and Forgotten Realms 4e.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  07:39:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That last bit really isn't appropriate, Icelander. Let's try to keep such commentary away from these halls.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  07:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That last bit really isn't appropriate, Icelander. Let's try to keep such commentary away from these halls.

In order to better help me understand the boundaries of acceptable conduct, what precisely is inappropriate about it?

Is is drawing comparison between fictional works that I do not like or is it the suggestion that refusing to write a work when there are irreconcilable differences between the artistic vision of the author and the demands of the publisher is indicative of integrity?

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  10:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that you do not know why the relationship between WotC and Paul ended. You're blaming the publisher for reasons not known to you, so I think any hateposts against WotC in this thread are not appropriate (unless in the unlikely case that we do get to know the reasons..).

I for one was looking forward to Godborn, would've been the only reason to actually buy any 4e novels (and probably get back on the ship)

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 04 Nov 2009 10:37:28
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  10:45:12  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what happens to the characters paul created.will wotc use them with another author?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  10:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

The problem is that you do not know why the relationship between WotC and Paul ended. You're blaming the publisher for reasons not known to you, so I think any hateposts against WotC in this thread are not appropriate (unless in the unlikely case that we do get to know the reasons..).

Excuse me?

Paul S. Kemp explicitly said that his ending of the business relationship was due to a decision made by WotC which he thought was inappropriate. In other words, WotC and Kemp had differing ideas and rather than conform to whatever WotC wanted, Kemp opted out.

The only assumption I've made was that the decision made by WotC was of an artistic nature, i.e. related to the work of the author and/or the setting, rather than being of a personal nature. And I think that the wording of Kemp's blog post supports that interpretation.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  12:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tis' a sad day for FR fans indeed

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  12:41:35  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icelander: Please see this thread for a refresher.

This thread is about Mr. Kemp. It's not about your desire to link what must have been a deeply personal and difficult decision on Mr. Kemp's part to some imaginary shared novel author hate of the 4E Realms.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 04 Nov 2009 13:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  12:44:07  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish Paul all the best; I stopped reading Star Wars two years ago. And WotC owns the characters in the novels and they may use them again.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  12:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

what happens to the characters paul created.will wotc use them with another author?

WotC probably owns the rights to the characters (as with all the other characters), but as with Elaine Cunningham's characters I don't think they'd use them unless it was necessary.

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  13:18:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

WotC probably owns the rights to the characters (as with all the other characters), but as with Elaine Cunningham's characters I don't think they'd use them unless it was necessary.

I'm not as sure about that. I remember the mess with Shores of Dusk.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  13:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I'm not as sure about that. I remember the mess with Shores of Dusk.

This actually gives me hope that Paul will one day return to WotC to write another FR story.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  14:43:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In order to better help me understand the boundaries of acceptable conduct, what precisely is inappropriate about it?
Simply, it's just about the negativity. See the URL Mr_Miscellany provided earlier for a more detailed explanation.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  14:43:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Tis' a sad day for FR fans indeed

You can say that again.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  15:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Kemp has written some great novels that I'm happy to have on my shelf, and I'm positive I'll get to add more in years to come, whatever their setting. I thank him for what he's given me so far, and wish him godspeed on future projects (mainly for selfish reasons, more Kemp faster!).

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  15:42:24  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's a conspiracy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  16:16:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Errr... Let's try to avoid attaching any unfounded motives to these developments.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  16:36:01  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't been this fething disappointed since it was announced that the last Arilyn book wouldn't be published.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000