Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Question about "The Sellswords"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  11:37:06  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can I read this trilogy without reading most of the other Drizzt books? I stopped with Salvatore's Drizzt books around the time of Starless Night. But I recently picked up the other two books of "The Sellswords" trilogy and I'm wondering whether I can fully appreciate and enjoy them without having read any of Salvatore's books that might have led up to this trilogy.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  15:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you can read the Sellswords books without bothering with the rest. There is some lead-in in [i]The Silent Blade{/i] though to give it a better context, but other than that The Sellwords, is thoroughly divergent from the Drizzt books.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2009 :  15:30:47  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fully concur with Lady Fellshot's assessment. they can be read without the others, but you may out on some of the backstory.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  08:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never read any of the Drizzt or Cadderly main novels and had no problem. It was in fact quite refreshing to only read about the Entreri/Jarlaxle doings in The Sellswords series.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  08:44:24  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May I inquire how it was "refreshing" to read only about Entreri and Jarlaxle while not having read any of the other books involving them? Seems an odd way to put it, with the information you put forward.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  15:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would be better if you keep reading up until at least Servant of the Shard first IMO

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  07:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: Formatting, nothing else.

quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

May I inquire how it was "refreshing" to read only about Entreri and Jarlaxle while not having read any of the other books involving them? Seems an odd way to put it, with the information you put forward.

"Refreshing" as in no Drizzt, Wulfgar, the girl (I forget her name) or the Mithral Hall dwarves. No Menzo, no endless, overpowered, haughty drow (exept to the extent that they feature in Servant of the Shard) and very little Drizzt monologues. The backstory of how Entreri dueled Drizzt and therefore hates him (and *MILD SPOILER* Jarlaxle's involvement in that) is sufficiently explained to not have required me wading through any of the Drizzt main novels. Also, while Cadderly, Danica (I think it's her name) and the Bouldershoulder twins also feature in Servant of the Shard one needn't have read the Cleric Quintet either.

To put it another way: while I'm not a great fan of RAS, the three books (and some of the accompanying short stories that were published in anthologies of the same time: I'm thinking of That Curious Sword, Wickless in the Nether and the other one where they decide to depart for/from the Bloodstone Lands) were so well written that one didn't mind reading only a 'chapter' of their lives. And that 'chapter' is three of my most favourite Realms books because of it.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 03 Nov 2009 07:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  06:58:45  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was referring to the first part of your post -- "I have never read any of the Drizzt or Cadderly main novels and had no problem". By this, did you mean that you hadn't read them at the time of reading The Sellswords?

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  08:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was referring to the first part of your post -- "I have never read any of the Drizzt or Cadderly main novels and had no problem". By this, did you mean that you hadn't read them at the time of reading The Sellswords?

No, you were referring to my use of the word "refreshing".

To answer your new question, I meant exactly that (first part you quoted), and it was in response to the OP's question:
Can he/she attempt The Sellswords trilogy (not really, more like three linked books) without reading many other Drizzt books?
My response, thus:
I hadn't at the time and still haven't read any Drizzt or Cadderly novels. I had no problem reading The Sellswords and enjoyed them a lot.

To clarify even further, I never will read any Drizzt or Cadderly novels, but will and have re-read parts of The Sellswords. I will also not read any of the Drizzt or Cadderly novels even if they feature scenes with Entreri and/or Jarlaxle in them. Those scenes are not a pre-requisite to reading or enjoying The Sellswords.

All of the above of course IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  19:51:18  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still slightly confused -- how can you find the lack of "Drizzt, Wulfgar, the girl (I forget her name) or the Mithral Hall dwarves. No Menzo, no endless, overpowered, haughty drow (exept to the extent that they feature in Servant of the Shard) and very little Drizzt monologue" refreshing if you have not read any of the novels about them? Are you basing this on what you've heard, or reviews you've read?

What you're saying now seems to come out something like this to me: "After running the marathon, I found a glass of water most refreshing. However, I've never ran a marathon".

I'm sorry if we're talking past each other here, and please don't feel as if I'm insulting you with these posts -- I am merely curious. If you feel we're getting nowhere, I'll happily terminate this conversation.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
734 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2009 :  08:16:45  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you basing this on what you've heard, or reviews you've read?

What you're saying now seems to come out something like this to me: "After running the marathon, I found a glass of water most refreshing. However, I've never ran a marathon".

No, I'm basing it on the Drizzt-centric stories (in the Realms antholgies I own) that I have read and on the sheer amount of data about Drizzt out there on the internet one can run into without even looking for it. Here's a quick few questions you can simply answer without posting it here: Name four of Superman's powers and have you ever read more than ten Superman comics? Would you be able to form an opinion about Superman based on the answers to the previous two questions?

Your analogy is only partly correct: After I ran a kilometer or so of the marathon, I found the glass of water most refreshing and vowed never to attempt a marathon again.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  22:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't really be an issue. As long as you understand that (ARTEMIS' FEELINGS ON DRIZZT SPOILER) Artemis believes Drizzt is dead, then you have no worries. :D

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Hordak
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  20:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Hordak's Homepage Send Hordak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

[quote]Originally posted by Sandro

Are you basing this on what you've heard, or reviews you've read?

QFA I hear exactly the same.

You're so dull

Edited by - Hordak on 07 Nov 2009 20:05:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000