Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 master of chains
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  21:49:11  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
why was this set in 1369 when at the time of print all the realms novels were set around 1373-1374?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2009 :  22:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't actually have an answer to the question, but I will say that it was only the "trend" at the time to set Realms novels in the 1372-1374 time frame. There were lots of exceptions--RAS's are probably the biggest, as they were set back quite a ways. Rosemary Jones' Crypt of the Moaning Diamond was set back over a century from that.

1369 probably just fit with Jess's story.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2009 :  03:04:44  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Rosemary Jones' Crypt of the Moaning Diamond was set back over a century from that.

Really? Great, I like that! Crypt was a fun read and I love this feeling about the realms, that you can play in any time and basically all that changes are important NPCs at that time. So much freedom...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  14:58:21  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been a while since I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) 'Master of Chains', but might there not be a political-historical reason for that date? Isn't 1369 still 2nd Ed? Might there have been a significant change in the lore that wouldn't have worked with the novel as Jess envisaged and produced it?

Just a thought...

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  15:59:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

Been a while since I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) 'Master of Chains', but might there not be a political-historical reason for that date?
Well, it details a little more the events of that period, since all we had before that, was the section on Erlkazar in the 2e Lands of Intrigue.
quote:
Isn't 1369 still 2nd Ed?
Yes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000