Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Moonstars' Goals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  16:53:39  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, Cloak and Dagger mentions that Khelben ran across certain of Alaundo's prophecies that led him to believe that he needed to be ready to combat (IRRC, I am AFB) 'the darkness below and the 3 Prefects'.
Has any source ever elucidated what these cryptic evils might be?
If no other work of Realmslore clarifies the nature of this, do any scribes have any good ideas? To me, they sound like Elder Evils: I don't know why, but the wording sounds vaguely 'Lovecraftian' to me. Thanks in advance.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  17:11:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially, it's all under an NDA-cloud, as I recall, according to Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  17:24:20  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd assumed as much- well, I have a few ideas of my own on the subject. Thanks for the confirmation, Sage.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2009 :  22:42:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
page 25 of Cloak & Dagger

quote:
At least one sagely member identified an ancient prophecy in Amagal's Tome, an ancient elven text of early Cormanthor, as noting that the Tel'Teukiira "will come hidden and in many guises and faces. They dwell in shadow and speak in omens, yet they shall bring about waking dreams and save us from the Three Threats Who Wait In Darkness, the Prefects, and ourselves." None of the Tel'Teukiira can say what all this means, though many suspect Khelben knows and simply does not say.

I'm not as keen on the idea of it being any of the Elder Evils we know about... It just doesn't seem a likely idea to me: when these things can go toe-to-toe with the gods, what can a bunch of mortals do?

There's a mention or two of the Prefects in Blackstaff.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  00:33:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not as keen on the idea of it being any of the Elder Evils we know about... It just doesn't seem a likely idea to me: when these things can go toe-to-toe with the gods, what can a bunch of mortals do?
I'm not entirely comfortable with the "Elder Evils" possibility either. But I'm not as quick to dismiss it completely. For the simple fact that, because it's been a plot hook open for so long, that it could possibly be anything at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  21:23:25  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm not entirely comfortable with the "Elder Evils" possibility either. But I'm not as quick to dismiss it completely. For the simple fact that, because it's been a plot hook open for so long, that it could possibly be anything at this point.

Input appreciated, gents. As I said, I thought 'Elder Evils' simply due to the wording.
I'm considering using this in my current campaign (coming back after a few-month hiatus), as the PC's were linked to a prophecy about 'Darkness Below' (which turned out to be the City of the Spider Queen module- moved to Impiltur). In my initial plotline, they were manipulated into taking the job of finding out about the drow attacks by a Harper agent, but I'm now retroactively making her a Moonstar and onetime apprentice to Khelben. As they are now facing off against Sonellion (though they don't know it), I've decided that she (or maybe Eltab)is one of the Prefects. Any thoughts on the subject would be helpful.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  21:27:13  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Wooly, I haven't read Blackstaff, and am not likely to get to it this week: Can you draw any inference as to who or what the Prefects are from the references there? Much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  06:12:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Oh, and Wooly, I haven't read Blackstaff, and am not likely to get to it this week: Can you draw any inference as to who or what the Prefects are from the references there? Much appreciated.

Five of them are mentioned, though at least one was apparently killed.

One was a vampire named Palron Kaeth. He may have been the leader of the Prefects. We know that he pops up multiple times; I don't recall if there was any closure with him or not. I need to reread Blackstaff.

Another Prefect was a drow, Ahaud of House Tanor'thal. He was a wizard, too, but also used short swords. There was an illithid named Saquarl; he was apparently killed. There was a lady vampire, Xaerna. She was referred to as Kaeth's mistress, though whether this meant lover or the vampire that had turned him isn't clarified. Last was Luuthis Fharren, Lord High Obfuscator (priest) of Leira. He was a friend of Kaeth's from when Kaeth was still alive.

There was a reference to the "Three in Darkness we all serve" (page 164). There was also a reference to a pact that all of the Prefects would share equally of magic gained, or destroy it (since both vampires and the drow were wizards, and we have this pact, we can infer that all of them were wizards). And all of this was in a tower called Silorrattor. When the then-unnamed Khelben left, Silorrattor was rubble, and the screams of the buried Prefects had ceased. Considering that Palron Kaeth popped back up later, and that Xaerna, as a vampire, would have similar inherent means of escape, that silence is not conclusive. Besides, Steven Schend is a fan of the comic book idea that if you don't see a body, then the person isn't necessarily dead.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  15:40:03  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Five of them are mentioned, though at least one was apparently killed.

One was a vampire named Palron Kaeth. He may have been the leader of the Prefects. We know that he pops up multiple times; I don't recall if there was any closure with him or not. I need to reread Blackstaff.

Another Prefect was a drow, Ahaud of House Tanor'thal. He was a wizard, too, but also used short swords. There was an illithid named Saquarl; he was apparently killed. There was a lady vampire, Xaerna. She was referred to as Kaeth's mistress, though whether this meant lover or the vampire that had turned him isn't clarified. Last was Luuthis Fharren, Lord High Obfuscator (priest) of Leira. He was a friend of Kaeth's from when Kaeth was still alive.

There was a reference to the "Three in Darkness we all serve" (page 164). There was also a reference to a pact that all of the Prefects would share equally of magic gained, or destroy it (since both vampires and the drow were wizards, and we have this pact, we can infer that all of them were wizards). And all of this was in a tower called Silorrattor. When the then-unnamed Khelben left, Silorrattor was rubble, and the screams of the buried Prefects had ceased. Considering that Palron Kaeth popped back up later, and that Xaerna, as a vampire, would have similar inherent means of escape, that silence is not conclusive. Besides, Steven Schend is a fan of the comic book idea that if you don't see a body, then the person isn't necessarily dead.

OK- Another book for me to add to the pile...
Thanks, Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  17:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

page 25 of Cloak & Dagger

quote:
At least one sagely member identified an ancient prophecy in Amagal's Tome, an ancient elven text of early Cormanthor, as noting that the Tel'Teukiira "will come hidden and in many guises and faces. They dwell in shadow and speak in omens, yet they shall bring about waking dreams and save us from the Three Threats Who Wait In Darkness, the Prefects, and ourselves." None of the Tel'Teukiira can say what all this means, though many suspect Khelben knows and simply does not say.

There's a mention or two of the Prefects in Blackstaff.

A bunch of heroic mortals working cohesively could bring one down...at least it would make for a great epic story (for a home run campaign at least)....mortals suceeding where gods have failed. Aren't there stories like this (or similiar) somewhere, perhaps in greek mythology, where heroic mortals surpass their limitations like this? It kind of rings a bell in my head

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  18:48:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

A bunch of heroic mortals working cohesively could bring one down...at least it would make for a great epic story (for a home run campaign at least)....mortals suceeding where gods have failed. Aren't there stories like this (or similiar) somewhere, perhaps in greek mythology, where heroic mortals surpass their limitations like this? It kind of rings a bell in my head

It still doesn't work for me... How could mortals do something that vastly more powerful deities can't do?

I think its more likely that the Three in Darkness are something else... Maybe they've got traces of divinity (more than a Chosen, but less than a demigod), maybe they're just the closest you can get to divinity without becoming a deity... Maybe they're rogue divine agents, or some sort of nasty extraplanar critter... Something like that could be reasonably opposed, without the mortals doing it being on a level at or near the gods. It still makes for an epic challenge, without invoking implausibility.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  20:38:21  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It still doesn't work for me... How could mortals do something that vastly more powerful deities can't do?

I think its more likely that the Three in Darkness are something else... Maybe they've got traces of divinity (more than a Chosen, but less than a demigod), maybe they're just the closest you can get to divinity without becoming a deity... Maybe they're rogue divine agents, or some sort of nasty extraplanar critter... Something like that could be reasonably opposed, without the mortals doing it being on a level at or near the gods. It still makes for an epic challenge, without invoking implausibility.

Not to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, Wooly, but- I have to disagree.
There are a number of scenarios that I can think of off the top of my head where this could in fact be the case, with the most common being the fantasy trope of 'the gods can't interfere directly, soo....' and cue the epic party. The one I've actually used in pitting a party against the EE is better, I think: The Evil has not yet escaped its prison completely. It can interact with the outside world a bit (enough to have gathered its cultists, as well as servitor beasties) and the PCs have to fight to keep it imprisioned, which they ultimately fail to do, but have one last chance to stuff the EE back in its hole by defeating the just released/reawakened (and not yet fully operational) baddie.
I understand (and generally agree with)your feeling that anything that the gods themselves fear is likely to be unassailable by mortals, but mythology is full of just that sort of scene. After all, Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul dealt with Haask and Haargut (sp?) while still mortal, not to mention any number of gods. AND these aren't just any mortals; the Moonstars are a group led by a pair of Chosen, allied to several others, and with a membership littered with epic characters. More importantly, Khelben is quite the forward-thinker. I can think of few threats, that given a few centuries to prepare for, these folks couldn't handle.
Back on topic- I, too, agree that the Three in Darkness are likely something else. Given the source of the prophecy, I am inclined to believe that it might have something to do with the Trio Nefarious. Then again, it's just as likely something completely different. In the context of my game, I might use some really Cthulu-esque elder evils, just b/c I think it's fun- but then again, my PCs will come nowhere near these guys; they'll be totally off-stage.

EDIT: On further review, Wooly, I like your idea about the 'Rogue divine agents'. I'd already worked Malkizid into the narrative, so the concept of 'fallen' divine agents is already present in the campaign.... Food for thought.

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 14 Oct 2009 20:41:42
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  04:23:02  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

see this i don't understand

with 4e and 100 year time skip, why can't NDA be lifted when talking about pre-1385 lore?

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  04:32:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

quote:

with 4e and 100 year time skip, why can't NDA be lifted when talking about pre-1385 lore?

Because it takes time and effort, and therefore money. There are likely hundreds, if not thousands, of NDAs in effect. To review them and see which ones could be lifted and which ones couldn't would require a joint effort by the folks planning everything and the legal department.

On the other hand, leaving them in place costs nothing. And since WotC is basically ignoring everything pre-4E, there's no reason to worry about those NDAs from before.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  05:00:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by coach

quote:

Because it takes time and effort, and therefore money. There are likely hundreds, if not thousands, of NDAs in effect. To review them and see which ones could be lifted and which ones couldn't would require a joint effort by the folks planning everything and the legal department.

On the other hand, leaving them in place costs nothing. And since WotC is basically ignoring everything pre-4E, there's no reason to worry about those NDAs from before.

And I'm sure that, if things were to change in terms of the NDA for this, Ed would share any info he may have with us here at Candlekeep. As a kind of follow-up to the previous questions he's been asked about them.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  12:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as the NDAs go, it would be nice if they could at least make it a slow process to go through them and one at a time put the ones that can be freed up aside in a "different pile" from the ones that are to remain NDA.

And about mortals doing what the divine can't, Knight of the Gate expressed it better with the "Gods can't interfere - cue the mortal heroes" scenario...this is how I also see it best working for mortals to accomplish what the gods cannot (with a bit more "prevention" rather than direct confrontation with the EE).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  12:25:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can dig gods not being able to interfere... But ignoring that restriction, we're still talking about mortals doing something gods can't do. That's kinda like the idea of me climbing on a bicycle and out-pedaling Lance Armstrong: theoretically possible (if Lance has some sort of handicap and a really bad day), but about as likely as a community of Malarite vegans. There's a hell of a difference between "can but won't" and "can't".

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Oct 2009 12:28:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  14:25:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as the NDAs go, it would be nice if they could at least make it a slow process to go through them and one at a time put the ones that can be freed up aside in a "different pile" from the ones that are to remain NDA.
There's a problem with that perspective, however. And that is, designers/writers can't really know what they can and will be able to use in the future in terms of NDA material. What might be feasible for inclusion at one point, might later be withdrawn before publication of a particular source.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  15:57:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There's a problem with that perspective, however. And that is, designers/writers can't really know what they can and will be able to use in the future in terms of NDA material. What might be feasible for inclusion at one point, might later be withdrawn before publication of a particular source.

Indeed. And this still involves getting multiple people to go thru all the NDAs, when it costs nothing to simply let them be.

I'd assume that each NDA came about as a need for it was noted, and that none of them have expiration dates attached... There's no need, for example, to NDA something that no one's touching, but as soon as author/designer A says "hey, let's do something over here!", then NDAs get whipped out for anyone else who might even peripherally affect it. And by not having expiration dates, they don't have to go back and re-NDA something if plans change or schedules get smoked.

And also, as an effect of how they're implemented, I'd imagine that there's no master list of NDAs, either. There's prolly still multiple filing cabinets full of NDAs at WotC headquarters, and I wouldn't expect there to be an easy organization system for them.

This isn't a knock at WotC; how would one properly organize NDAs in a shared setting? By region/subregion/critter/entity/event/object? By author? By date signed?

The latter two would be easiest to sort thru, but you'd have to wade thru everything to find who signed NDAs about something.

If it's the first option... Say that an NDA covers a mysterious murder in a Waterdhavian alley. Everyone touching Waterdeep at that time would be under an NDA on it. If the victim was a particular NPC, people working even peripherally with that NPC (friends of the NPC, relatives of the NPC, other members of the same group, etc) would be under an NDA. If it was the work of a specific power group or NPC, again with the NDAs... One minor event, and yet potentially dozens of NDAs on a very wide selection of stuff. How would you properly classify it, if the victim was an expatriate Cormyrian agent of the Lords of Waterdeep and a Harper, the murderer was an nobleman-turned-assassin with Zhent connections working for the Knights of the Shield, and it was somehow related to a particular temple?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that they should be actively going thru NDAs and seeing what can be discarded and what needs to ride. But I'm also looking at it from the business side, and seeing why they're not doing it. I personally think the fan goodwill for releasing some of this info would be worth it, in the long run, but I'm not one of those making decisions at WotC. Suffice it to say much would be different about D&D right now -- particularly for the Realms -- if I called the shots at WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  19:34:17  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well-said on all sides, gents. I think what really rankles about the NDA issue is its complete lack of common sense; as Allisttair said,it's not as though ANY of that stuff is now going to be used, and yet here we sit (having spent untold sums of money on the setting) with myriad unanswered questions and access to the people most qualified to answer them. But despite how willing the authors/designers/etc. are to share these things with us, they are hogtied by a legal fiction- fiction because we know that these are areas of FR which will never see the light of day. In reality (and others have said this before) if WotC was savvy about this, they'd get a handful of the ppl who've signed these NDAs together and publish a 'Secrets of the Realms' book, consisting of 200 pages of previously NDA'd stuff written by the original authors of same. As none of it is 'new' material, I have to think that they could produce this pretty cheaply and quickly, and how could it NOT sell? But then again, I don't really have a working knowledge of the publishing industry in this regard, so I'm likely oversimplifying. But a boy can dream, can't he?

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  08:29:18  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In reality (and others have said this before) if WotC was savvy about this, they'd get a handful of the ppl who've signed these NDAs together and publish a 'Secrets of the Realms' book, consisting of 200 pages of previously NDA'd stuff written by the original authors of same. As none of it is 'new' material, I have to think that they could produce this pretty cheaply and quickly, and how could it NOT sell?

Sadly, I think that the majoity of WotC's new 'target group' wouldn't be interested in purchasing such a tome. While people like us would love it, it would not contain any new combat features (what are the feats / attacks of the 4th Edition called?), epic destinies, and whatnot. But indeed, one should have his dreams...
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  14:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well-said on all sides, gents. I think what really rankles about the NDA issue is its complete lack of common sense; as Allisttair said,it's not as though ANY of that stuff is now going to be used, and yet here we sit (having spent untold sums of money on the setting) with myriad unanswered questions and access to the people most qualified to answer them. But despite how willing the authors/designers/etc. are to share these things with us, they are hogtied by a legal fiction- fiction because we know that these are areas of FR which will never see the light of day. In reality (and others have said this before) if WotC was savvy about this, they'd get a handful of the ppl who've signed these NDAs together and publish a 'Secrets of the Realms' book, consisting of 200 pages of previously NDA'd stuff written by the original authors of same. As none of it is 'new' material, I have to think that they could produce this pretty cheaply and quickly, and how could it NOT sell? But then again, I don't really have a working knowledge of the publishing industry in this regard, so I'm likely oversimplifying. But a boy can dream, can't he?

How about getting all the realms fans to do a fund-raiser to pay for the sorting of the NDAs. Someone with a lot of influence would have to organize this of course, but before they would have to maybe have someone at Wizards calculate the approximate man-hours of sorting needed and have the cost calculated by an accountant and then it can be done in phases. I doubt this would happen, but its an idea.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  15:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can dig gods not being able to interfere... But ignoring that restriction, we're still talking about mortals doing something gods can't do. That's kinda like the idea of me climbing on a bicycle and out-pedaling Lance Armstrong: theoretically possible (if Lance has some sort of handicap and a really bad day), but about as likely as a community of Malarite vegans. There's a hell of a difference between "can but won't" and "can't".

Well if we use sports as a metaphor, huge upsets do happen and those are the best stories to tell (when the underdog team wins the championship by defeating the clear-cut favorite). I know that this is comparing apples to oranges, but that's what would make it such an epic accomplishment that would be told for centuries after. Stories of people "surpassing" their limitations - especially since its not something that is expected and is a once in a era thing. How much time do the gods wpend trying to vanquish these entities anyways?

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  08:09:48  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, some insomnia and some persistence have yielded this: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2258
I'm pondering posting to Mr.Schend's scroll in hopes of asking what he 'might have done' with these plot threads.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  08:16:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can certainly try. Just remember, Steven's occupied for most of this month, and maybe longer, so any reply may still be weeks in the coming.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  08:29:43  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can certainly try. Just remember, Steven's occupied for most of this month, and maybe longer, so any reply may still be weeks in the coming.

Thanks, Sage- I'd heard about Steven's exile from the various Internets, which is why I didn't sprint off to do just that; I'll likely post it in the next few days and wait patiently. Not that I honestly think he'll be free to speak on the subject even when he returns, but it can't hurt to ask, eh?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  10:32:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course. You can post the question now, if you wish. I'm sure Steven will address it upon his return.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:08:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Haec mando volumine et resurgere a Domino iussus scientiarum studiosi virtutis!

I'm doing some additional research on Leira for my current and next campaign. As you know, specialty clergy of Leira are called, Mistcallers and Mistwalkers. However, in the novel Blackstaff, there is a character referred to as Lord High Obfuscator. Are you familiar with any sort of ranking system in that faith? As far as I can tell, such a ranking system would be anathema to that faith.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:24:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 94 of Faiths & Avatars:

quote:
Leiran clergy members (of all kinds) are called whatever they choose to be called, and official titles vary from day to day and from person to person. Pompous titles are often followed by misleading ones, and this tenday's high pontiff is next tenday's acolyte. This wild, constantly changing array of grandiose, silly, frivolous, and obviously spurious titles ranges from Supreme High Lord of the Heights and Depths to Most Holy Guttersweeper. Within the faith, specialty priests are known as mistcallers to distinguish their capabilities from those of clerics and illusionists, but they sport the same diverse and ever-changing titles as others of their kind when asked publicly what their duties and positions are.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2020 :  23:33:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

A hearty thank you for pointing that out! I have no idea how I missed that. Especially since I've referred to that very tome on several occasions. I think I was experiencing tunnel vision so much on the novel, that I just didn't see the forest through the trees!

Do you know of any other identified clergy of Leira, such as the Lord High Obfuscator?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

EDIT: Adding question

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 22 Nov 2020 23:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  20:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious that this thread should resurrect itself spontaneously just as I was looking at detailing info on Those Formerly Referred to as Prefects (whose name rankled George Krashos unto fits).

Yes, I'm blowing the dust off my keyboards and hoping to get some new stuff out into the world whether for free on my website or for sale via DM Guild.... More soon, gentles and less-than-so's...

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000