Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite and Least Favorite Realms novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  22:26:00  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I myself have not been a big fan of Ed's fiction. I really liked Elminster's Daughter and City of Splendors, but most of his other fiction hasn't grabbed me.

My personal problem with Spellfire is that there was simply too much going on. I understand that there's a lot going on in the Realms, and that plots-within-plots isn't an uncommon thing for a lot of schemers...

A long-running soap opera has all these characters and plots popping up and then disappearing again, with plots, subplots, and characters from as much as 15 years before suddenly returning and having an impact on the current action. And that was what the book felt like -- like I was walking in, with no prior knowledge, and trying to pick up everything that's going on. The overall plot didn't bother me, it was the way the other stuff ("Die, then, Shadowsil!") just popped up out of nowhere. It showcased a lot of things, but also was jarring.

i quite like that in realms novels.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  23:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

quote:

I myself have not been a big fan of Ed's fiction. I really liked Elminster's Daughter and City of Splendors, but most of his other fiction hasn't grabbed me.

My personal problem with Spellfire is that there was simply too much going on. I understand that there's a lot going on in the Realms, and that plots-within-plots isn't an uncommon thing for a lot of schemers...

A long-running soap opera has all these characters and plots popping up and then disappearing again, with plots, subplots, and characters from as much as 15 years before suddenly returning and having an impact on the current action. And that was what the book felt like -- like I was walking in, with no prior knowledge, and trying to pick up everything that's going on. The overall plot didn't bother me, it was the way the other stuff ("Die, then, Shadowsil!") just popped up out of nowhere. It showcased a lot of things, but also was jarring.

I like that there's stuff going on... It's just that in Spellfire, there was too much going on for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  23:53:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorites : Ghostwalker, Thornhold (Bronwyn is easily the most under the radar great character that needed more of her story written.) Knights of Myth Drannor, Scions of Arrabar, Lady of Poison

Least Fav: the Crystal Mountain, Plague of Spells both made me want to remove my eyes and I could not read more than a few pages of one. But I like most of those authors other works, so go figure!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  05:38:56  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget Shadow Stone! IMO, it was a very good book, regardless of what others may bash about it. I think we need more Aeron Morieth books! Heck, it was the first FR book to have a Shadow Adept in it and artifacts and relics of Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  09:32:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Let's not forget Shadow Stone! IMO, it was a very good book, regardless of what others may bash about it. I think we need more Aeron Morieth books! Heck, it was the first FR book to have a Shadow Adept in it and artifacts and relics of Shar!

I don't know, I must admit that I never managed to finish that one, I didn't like either the story or the "realmsianisms" of the book. It felt like it was something just shoved into the Realms for convenience sake. Wasn't it originally intended to be a Birthright novel?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  14:24:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

I don't know, I must admit that I never managed to finish that one, I didn't like either the story or the "realmsianisms" of the book. It felt like it was something just shoved into the Realms for convenience sake. Wasn't it originally intended to be a Birthright novel?

Yup, it was originally a Birthright novel.

I've not read that book in years. I don't recall particularly liking or disliking it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  14:53:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Yup, it was originally a Birthright novel.

I've not read that book in years. I don't recall particularly liking or disliking it.

Embarrassingly, I can't even recall where my copy is, at the moment. I recently placed most of my BIRTHRIGHT material into storage, and I've got a feeling that Shadow Stone ended up in that pile too.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  16:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was it? Didn't Ed's Temptation of Elminster come first? Or am I misremembering publication order? I recall Ed outlining what Shar's clergy would be like at a GenCon that was, I think, years before Rich Baker became a TSR employee (and years before the great "god books" such as Faiths & Avatars, et al). So "the Shadow Weave" was Rich's way of explaining how the events of Shadow Stone could fit into the Realms, after it got orphaned with the cancellation of the Birthright line, but Shar and the look and feel of her priesthood were around long before him.
Hmmm.
BB
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  19:49:40  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I like that there's stuff going on... It's just that in Spellfire, there was too much going on for me.

wooly.did you read spellfire early on when you wernt sure about some of the established characters.manshoon,fzoul etc.coz i read it after i was already aware of them.i may have felt different without the aforementioned info.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  22:39:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

wooly.did you read spellfire early on when you wernt sure about some of the established characters.manshoon,fzoul etc.coz i read it after i was already aware of them.i may have felt different without the aforementioned info.

Yup. It was among the first dozen Realms novels I read, when there wasn't much more than a dozen out. And I've read it more than once since then, too. My impression remains the same -- there's simply too much side-action going on for my tastes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  23:55:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

quote:

Was it? Didn't Ed's Temptation of Elminster come first? Or am I misremembering publication order? I recall Ed outlining what Shar's clergy would be like at a GenCon that was, I think, years before Rich Baker became a TSR employee (and years before the great "god books" such as Faiths & Avatars, et al). So "the Shadow Weave" was Rich's way of explaining how the events of Shadow Stone could fit into the Realms, after it got orphaned with the cancellation of the Birthright line, but Shar and the look and feel of her priesthood were around long before him.
Hmmm.
BB

Indeed. As I recall, the FRCS merely 'canonised' the concept of the Shadow Weave in the Realms... a concept that was already at play in The Shadow Stone. It's inclusion in 3e, simply gave it a more solid grounding in the Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  15:24:54  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought there was great potential for the shadow stone but it kind of went a bit flat for me.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2009 :  22:55:38  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I mean it does have its slower parts, but everything with the Stormwalker was great. The pace picked up completely once Aeron started training in the school of arts. I believe Aeron Morieth is mentioned in the FRCS under the Chessenta section. Wizard 13/ Shadow Adept 3 or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  05:24:16  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I liked City of Ravens, but it seemed a bit unlikely to me that the main character, already up to his eyeballs in trouble, would happily accept even more without a thought.

Actually, that is EXACTLY the reason I loved it, Jack was simply UNpredictable... hard to find in fantasy novel protagonists

I just finished Shield of Weeping Ghosts of the Citadels collection and it was outstanding

Also loved The Rogue Dragon trilogy

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  15:02:11  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've enjoyed more FR novels than I've not enjoyed. 'Cormyr' is right up there at the top of my list, I think. A very clever, skilful collaboration between two amazing authors. Least favourite would probably be 'Obsidian Ridge'. Hardly any of it worked for me, I'm afraid, although it's reasonably well-written.

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  15:41:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

I've enjoyed more FR novels than I've not enjoyed.

That's been my experience, too -- but of the ones I've disliked, some of them I have seriously disliked. I can't say I recall disliking any non-FR book as much as a couple of the FR ones, though it must be admitted that the larger percentage of my library is FR books.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2009 :  16:02:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

I've enjoyed more FR novels than I've not enjoyed.

That's been my experience, too -- but of the ones I've disliked, some of them I have seriously disliked. I can't say I recall disliking any non-FR book as much as a couple of the FR ones, though it must be admitted that the larger percentage of my library is FR books.

I don't think I've ever hated an FR novel. Certainly, there are some I'll likely never read again -- but that's mostly because of the subject matter of a particular novel, rather than the writing/editing style.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  22:23:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Most favorite:

Return of the Archwizards trilogy (the first FR series I read)

The Haunted Lands trilogy (I like the War of the Zulkirs and the new look of Thay)

The Making of a Mage (I enjoyed the five other books in the series, too, but not as much as this)

Twilight War trilogy (More Shadovar action!)

Wizardwar (A breathtaking conclusion to the trilogy)

Least:

Pools of Darkness

Lies of Light

Whisper of Waves

- I literally puked during and after reading these 3. Horrible writing style and storyline.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  08:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most favorite:
- Evermeet
- Dan & Arilyn series
- Starlight and Shadows series
- Blackstaff
- WotSQ

Least favorite:
- Baldur's Gate I
- Baldur's Gate II

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  16:06:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I second Baldur's Gate. I can't believe I forgot to mention it. I got a serious headache after reading that load of ****.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

brando
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  03:52:45  Show Profile  Visit brando's Homepage Send brando a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picking one series would be difficult, picking just one individual novel is exponentially more difficult. That being said I would say Spellfire as a single book really hooked me into the FR setting. As far as trilogies go I absolutely loved the Finder's Stone trilogy, The Dark Elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy.

Least favorite is more difficult. I have read a few novels I didnt care for but I dont regret reading any of them.
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  06:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My fave was City of Ravens.

Least fave is a tie. Making of a Mage and Evermeet. Loved City of Splendors though. I find Greenwood and Cunningham's laid back story telling more entertaining when its churned or cut.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  18:24:46  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
least favourite would be the veiled dragon.best would be city of ravens.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2010 :  20:53:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice topic, it's always fun to hear about other people reactions to the very few admittedly terrible Realms products...

The Good

My top five novels:
Midnight’s Mask
Azure Bonds
The Night Parade
The Depths of Madness
City of the Dead

Top five trilogies:
Erevis Cale
Finder’s Stone
Icewind Dale
Counselors and Kings
Knights of Myth Drannor

AND… let me say that I absolutely love the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (set in Waterdeep) and Forgotten Realms comics. Both are very well-written with great artwork and interesting storylines.

The Bad
I can't stand anything written by Brian Thomsen. I guess he was trying to be clever using names like "Justin Time" for an editor, or making real-time pop culture references in a Forgotten Realms novel, but it makes his work stand out to me as the absolute worst the Realms has to offer. Wait, I take that back, I did actually finish reading Once Around the Realms, which is more than I can say for:
Pools of Darkness - I quit reading this one after just a couple of pages. Bane throwing a temper tantrum was bad enough, but combining that awful idea with even worse writing actually made me angry. I never finished this book, nor have I read Pools of Twilight because this one pissed me off so much.

Let me also add that the comic book adaptation of the Avatar series is probably the worst comic book series I've ever read. There is absolutely nothing redeemable about the series.

The Ugly
The Veiled Dragon – I split this one off into it’s own category because it’s not actually bad, but… I love the character of Ruha, I typically enjoy Troy Denning’s work, and the story itself wasn’t that bad, it’s just that I can’t understand why he felt it appropriate to write the Shou character’s lines in broken English, like some lame comedian making fun of Asians.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i know what you mean about pools of darkness.banes minions sounded like they were from brooklyn or something.i seem to remember the line 'you gotta get tough with those bums'.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  21:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe the proper Brookynese would be, "Youse gotta get tough wit dem bums." Or maybe "dem palookas."
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  07:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
and the entire Avatar Trilogy, including its two add-ons Trial of Cyric and whatever that other one was.

I agree with you on the first three books (although their "historical" value is deep). However, the following "Prince of Lies" and "Crucible" are part of my favorite FR novels.

I also like Elfsong and Elfshadw by Elaine a lot.

Everybody I know (who read it) liked Murder in Cormyr, by the way. A fine book, and much better than its successor, Murder in Halruaa.
Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  12:49:47  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my favourite realm novel would be

Crucible strange as I normally can't get into Denning normally

finders stone trilogy

city of ravens

ring of winter

murder in cormyr

The god catcher (I love dragons)

city of the dead and crypt of the moaning Diamond by Rosemary jones

elfshadow it what got me into reading the realms in the first place

Guess I Like humorous novels with a bit of intrigue thrown in the best to read

novels I unfortunately couldn't cant get into

Ed Greenwood realm novels, Sorry I just can't get into them with the exception of making of a mage I enjoyed that one, I think its because i find the tales a bit too confusing for me esp the short story ones with all the diffrent charcters to keep up with

same goes for Douglas Niles Realm novels I tried to like them but there just don't work for me don't know why

Nethril trilogy

the threat from the sea

king pinch

council of blades this one i found a bit strange maybe because the humour in it didn't work for me

Edited by - Tremaine on 26 Sep 2010 10:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  19:56:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, this is an interesting topic, but I would like to make a call for politeness in expressing discontent--there's no need to resort to "I puked" or "piece of @#$%" sort of comments. It's disrespectful to the hard-working author and to readers who actually *did* enjoy said novel.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  00:55:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Erik has the right of it. If some scribes detest a particular work... well that's fine. But please try to remember also that many authors do visit these halls. So it would be worthwhile considering that point before you post your views.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000