Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite and Least Favorite Realms novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  16:12:41  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very tough one as there are quite a lot of books in each category. In general I have to say though, that there have been more positive novels I have read in the realms than deceptions.

My favorite is everything from Paul S. Kemp who I feel writes in a different league, but I also love Elaineīs stuff very much.

If it came down to specific favorites:
- The two middle books from Kempīs trilogies and his short story Continuum (from Realms of War)
- City of Ravens
- Azure Bonds

Top series like WotSQ and Songs & Swords I left out, because I loved them as a whole, without praising a book in particular.

I also feel free to mention which books from my list of least liked novels particularly did not work for me. As I know, that I will probably be an exception here with this selection, I hope no scribes or authors will take offense:
City of Splendors, Blackstaff and most stuff from RAS.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  17:01:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally thought the WotSQ series was a waste of time, and I didn't feel that the characterization remained constant throughout the series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  17:17:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I felt the WotSQ series had some highlights. I particular enjoyed Insurrection by Thomas Reid, as he admirably captured the true depth of Lolth's Silence. And the ensuing chaos, for that matter.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  17:25:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, it was not that constant and there where some annoying discrepancies in characters from one book to the next, but still: a six book series with lots of good authors and a great plot: awesome! I loved it.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  17:31:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I felt the WotSQ series had some highlights. I particular enjoyed Insurrection by Thomas Reid, as he admirably captured the true depth of Lolth's Silence. And the ensuing chaos, for that matter.

There were some high points in the series, and I particularly liked Pharaun.

But overall, I felt that the series as a whole didn't really do much of anything. Most of the characters I either didn't care at all about (like the guide, Nimor?), or I actively disliked (Halisstra, at the end). As I said before, I also felt the characterization was inconsistent; some books felt like they featured entirely new characters. This was a concern of mine when I went into the series, because of the different authors for each book.

The series picked up for me, briefly, around either book 4 or book 5, I don't recall which. Whichever it was, it didn't stay there.

I didn't actively dislike any of the books -- they just failed to interest me. Ditto for the Sembia series, which was also quite popular with a number of folks.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  18:08:57  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure it counts as a novel but The Rose Window by Monte Cook in The Best of the Realms I is my favourite. Evermeet and Homeland are honourable mentions.

The books that I dislike are the three that make up The Lady Penitent. I disliked the writing and I didn't like the story. Annihilation (WotSQ V) ranks low in my opinion also.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  18:21:18  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I personally thought the WotSQ series was a waste of time, and I didn't feel that the characterization remained constant throughout the series.

The series was more 'Lolth throws a wobbly' than anything else. Books I and II did a great job of setting the stage but then things went a bit strange. By the end, when Lolth came back no-one was greatly surprised and what would have been a great opportunity* on many levels was lost. The series was marred by bad continuity. At the end of one book, Danifae carried weapons (Book II I think) then at the start of Book III they were shopping in Gracklstugh in order to arm her. Then there was Aliiza's memory-blank about Danifae when speaking with Phaeraun. In earlier books, she is possessive and jealous of Phaeraun warning him of her; then later she's saying 'Who's she?' It's not worth going into all of them but they did jar throughout the series. Maybe the paperbacks caught a few though.

Apart from Books I & II, I'd rate Brom's artwork as the next best in the series. Lovely colours and evocative images.

* - there was so much they could have done to really catch people's imagination. I could go on and on but I won't.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 13 Oct 2009 18:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  21:10:20  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcdf

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Can I respectfully request that the title of the thread be changed to 'favorite and least favorite' or somesuch: All the above posts have been respectful, but I agree with the Hamster-in-Chief that I'd hate to see anything I've written be labeled 'the worst'.
For my $.02, my favorite has changed over time: It used to be Evermeet (which I still think the world of) but is currently Elmister in Hell. Least favorite is probably Spellfire: Not because it's a bad book (it's not), but because it was a bit too schizophrenic for my taste (Which Ed attributes, IIRC, to being asked to 'Showcase as much of the Realms as possible'). Then again, I'd just about kill to see the book Ed might have written left to his own devices.

Yes the title should be changed. This thread is based on opinion not fact so absolutes like best and worst are not applicable. I do not know how to do this, can you change the thread title to Knight of the Gate's suggestion moderator, please.

I have never read Spellfire. What specifically about it that you find "too schizophrenic" Knight of the Gate?

TBH, I haven't read Spellfire in a looong time, so I should have re-read it before saying it was my 'least-favorite'. Having said that, a lot of the 'running around' felt shoehorned in to me, and didn't really serve to move the plot forward. On further review (and after reading the rest of the thread) it's hard to say that Spellfire was ACTUALLY my least fave; in reality, it's just that it was my least favorite at the time when I was reading loads and loads of Realms novels. In retrospect, I agree with Sage on the diminishing returns of R.A.S's Drizzt books; I was disappointed by anything after The Dark Elf Trilogy. And while 'El in Hell' is still my current fave, I was remiss to not mention Darkwalker. What a great book... I read it when I was about 16, and haven't read it since- I need to remedy that.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  22:32:19  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crap, forgot Downshadow. That book easily fits into my top 5. And no, it's not because I know Erik and enjoy his boyish charm.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  00:23:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There were some high points in the series, and I particularly liked Pharaun.
Agreed
quote:
But overall, I felt that the series as a whole didn't really do much of anything. Most of the characters I either didn't care at all about (like the guide, Nimor?),
Again, this is where Thomas Reid came through for me. He actually made me think something about Nimor that I found interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  02:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I categorize Realms novels in three categories, Favourites, Entertaining but unremarkable, and Least Favourites.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the original Moonshae trilogy. They are by far my favourite novels, though I know many readers truly dislike them. I am not sure why they are disliked, they original trilogy had excellent pacing and characterization.

My least favourite novels were the House of Serpents trilogy. I did not care for the main character, nor the repetitiveness of the series.

Many novels fall into the Entertaining but unremarkable category. I enjoyed reading them but they simply didn't impress upon me very much one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  06:18:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

I am surprised no one has mentioned the original Moonshae trilogy. They are by far my favourite novels, though I know many readers truly dislike them. I am not sure why they are disliked, they original trilogy had excellent pacing and characterization.

I somewhat enjoyed the Druidhome trilogy... But the Moonshae trilogy was another that simply failed to grab me. I couldn't wait to finish reading it, simply to be done with it and able to read something else.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  10:24:27  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i loved wotsq up until book 5 were i started getting a bit ired of it.it could have been done in 4.which author introduced nimor?one of my favourite ever characters.cant believe i failed to mention thomas reids genius scions of arrabar trilogy.and city of ravens.as for most dissapointing book by an established writer id have to say hand of fire.especially after enjoying the first two.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  14:19:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

i loved wotsq up until book 5 were i started getting a bit ired of it.it could have been done in 4.which author introduced nimor?one of my favourite ever characters.cant believe i failed to mention thomas reids genius scions of arrabar trilogy.and city of ravens.as for most dissapointing book by an established writer id have to say hand of fire.especially after enjoying the first two.

The Scions of Arrabar was an excellent trilogy. I'm not fond of most of the Realms fiction from that timeframe, but that one really outshone the rest.

I liked City of Ravens, but it seemed a bit unlikely to me that the main character, already up to his eyeballs in trouble, would happily accept even more without a thought.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  15:20:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I somewhat enjoyed the Druidhome trilogy... But the Moonshae trilogy was another that simply failed to grab me. I couldn't wait to finish reading it, simply to be done with it and able to read something else.

I actually enjoyed both trilogies. The first, mainly, because I read them as they were initially released. And, thus, they served as my introduction to the Realms. So I suspect they'll always hold a special place in my heart. The "Druidhome" trilogy was a worthwhile successor to the original trilogy, and rekindled some of my lost love for the Moonshaes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  15:22:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

The Scions of Arrabar was an excellent trilogy. I'm not fond of most of the Realms fiction from that timeframe, but that one really outshone the rest.
I've still to read this. Which is disapppointing in and of itself, because Thomas Reid has always been one of my favourite FR authors. It's really something I should correct, I think.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  15:47:21  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just out of curiosity, which timeframe is this and why do you feel that way about it?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  16:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Crap, forgot Downshadow. That book easily fits into my top 5. And no, it's not because I know Erik and enjoy his boyish charm.
But you *do* enjoy it, right? The boyish charm?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  16:27:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Just out of curiosity, which timeframe is this and why do you feel that way about it?

Most of the Realms novels that came out around the same time totalled failed to interest me. For most of the ones I have read, the characters didn't interest me and the plots didn't grab me. There's a bunch from that time frame that I've still not touched, because the back cover blurbs didn't grab me and because nothing I've heard about the books has made me want to read them.

And it wasn't long after that that the quality of the cover art abruptly changed -- I've hated almost every FR cover for the last few years.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  19:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I had boyish charm. As a fallback, I'm working on curmudgeonly truculence.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  23:00:37  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

As a fallback, I'm working on curmudgeonly truculence.

Hargh! There you have thrown quite a language challenge to all non-native speakers...

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  05:46:42  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only to those bad-tempered and aggressive speakers who don't use dictionaries!

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  06:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only read about 30 Realms books thus far and they are mostly more recent (the last few years), so my pool is limited for a question like this. Having said that, I have mostly enjoyed what I have read and haven't found any to be downright awful. So, this is like saying which dessert I like most, or least, from a list of desserts I myself wrote up.

Favorites thus far: Downshadow-I was suprised a paladin could be a character that I found interesting. The way I typically envision a paladin was nothing like that, and I liked the way it turned out. Interesting characters throughout. I plan to look into more of Eric's books as soon as I work through the books I have at the moment (Sembia series, some of the Drizzt books, and House of Serpents).
The Haunted Lands Trilogy-I've been interested in Thay since I started learning about the FR, along with Szazz Tam and the undead in general so this was like the best of all possibilities for me. I also enjoy "villain" stories so having a story set in an "evil" nation with various factions fighting each other was nice.All of the characters, even the villains (well, the actual villainous types) were interesting characters that kept me wanting to know what happened next to them. I look forward to the spin off about Aoth.
City of Splendors-This is the book that got me interested in Waterdeep and it's history (and future). This book is the main reason I am reading the current Waterdeep books, which means it indirectly lead to me reading Downshadow so that alone is worth it being on this list.

Honorable mention on the favortes: Blades of the Moonsea-I like the books thus far, but I need to see where it ends up to judge the trilogy as a whole.

Least favorites thus far: Neversfall-It wasn't poorly written or anything, nor boring, it's just that I prefer more magic in FR stories so this is more a personal taste thing than any criticism on the writing.
Obsidian Ridge-I am not sure what about this didn't sit well with me, to be honest. Again, it wasn't poorly written or anything and I did finish it but something about it just didn't do it for me.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  08:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I wish I had boyish charm. As a fallback, I'm working on curmudgeonly truculence.

How's that working for you thusfar, Richard? I find it helps when I throw words like that around using kexy wit.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  09:20:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did mention the first volume, but I was trying to limit the number of books I proposed. All the both Moonshae series would be among the Realms novels I would keep if (or rather when) the house more or less sagged into the ground from the weight of books.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  14:17:21  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Only to those bad-tempered and aggressive speakers who don't use dictionaries!

???
"Lazy" due to my not having used a dictionary seems apropriate to me!
But bad-tempered and aggressive?

Go to Top of Page

KingLouis
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  15:01:24  Show Profile  Visit KingLouis's Homepage Send KingLouis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favourites: Dark Elf Trilogy was my absolute favourite. Very interesting and I had my eyes glued on those 3 novels for a week and a bit.

Least favourite: Will probably cop a lot of flak for this but I found "Spellfire" and "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" as my 2 least favourite novels. CoS was written in a very Dickensian manner - with a lot of storytelling going towards the establishment of a setting and the slow moving of chess pieces to set up the final conflict. I can certainly understand the charm in this style of writing but this is not my favourite type of literature. "Spellfire" seemed all over the place to me - and I found Shandril's romance very cringeworthy.

I understand how many readers enjoy them but those 2 books were not compatible with me. Having said that I did enjoy other of Elaine Cunningham's series (including those outside of FR), just not CoS.

"I guess enough painkillers can make even the worst kind of hurt go away. The thing you need to know is that Mara was innocent, and Jackson was innocent - they didn't know what they were drinking and their last moments together were happy ones. They left the way I first found them - perfect and innocent. They were innocent and they're in heaven now and we'll always be a family. The guilty ones are me and Vic, Vic led but I kept following. I don't think one's worse than the other but we made each other into something worse than our individual selves. I wish I never met him. I see it all now - there's no apologies I can make, no explanations I can give - I was who I was and I can't be that person anymore. I can't let myself..." Shane Vendrell
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  15:31:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself have not been a big fan of Ed's fiction. I really liked Elminster's Daughter and City of Splendors, but most of his other fiction hasn't grabbed me.

My personal problem with Spellfire is that there was simply too much going on. I understand that there's a lot going on in the Realms, and that plots-within-plots isn't an uncommon thing for a lot of schemers...

A long-running soap opera has all these characters and plots popping up and then disappearing again, with plots, subplots, and characters from as much as 15 years before suddenly returning and having an impact on the current action. And that was what the book felt like -- like I was walking in, with no prior knowledge, and trying to pick up everything that's going on. The overall plot didn't bother me, it was the way the other stuff ("Die, then, Shadowsil!") just popped up out of nowhere. It showcased a lot of things, but also was jarring.

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  16:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

???
"Lazy" due to my not having used a dictionary seems apropriate to me!
But bad-tempered and aggressive?

You might find the joke easier to understand if you looked up 'curmudgeonly' and 'truculence' in a dictionary.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2009 :  18:13:33  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, got it!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000