Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Jungles of Chult, The Black Jungles and Mhair
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  12:11:36  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am curious about The Jungles of Chult, The Black Jungles and Mhair Jungles. About their politics, history, life and society, government, cities, religion, peoples and monsters. Any knowledge or even tad-bits would be nice, thanks.

Serpent Kingdoms book by Ed Greenwood covers this area, is it any good? Where can I buy it quickly?
Are there any fiction novels set in Chult, Samarach, Thindol or Tashalar?

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  13:37:50  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcdf

The Ring of Winter by James Lowder. Harpers Book 5

This is set mostly in the jungles of Chult and is a good read aswell.
Artus Cimber is the main character, a ranger I belive from memory.

Try looking on Ebay.

Delz
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  14:40:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

quote:

Try looking on Ebay.

Delz

It's one of my fave books from the Harper series, too. I made a point of getting an extra copy for my brother-in-law.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  15:34:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Serpent Kingdoms book by Ed Greenwood covers this area, is it any good? Where can I buy it quickly?
Serpent Kingdoms is actually one of my favourite 3e FR tomes. Mostly because of Ed's contributions, but also because I've long been a fan of the Scaly Folk in the Realms. Well worth the purchase, I can assure you.

As for where you can purchase it quickly... try nobleknight.com.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  16:28:00  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serpent Kingdoms would by my absolute favourite of anything published during the 3ed. era.

There's also the The Jungles of Chult adventure(and to a degree source-book)from the 2ed. Not among the best, but still
Go to Top of Page

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  17:40:32  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Try looking on Ebay.

Delz

Thankyou for your help.

In what year is the book set?
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  19:35:12  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Try looking on Ebay.

Delz

Thankyou for your help.

In what year is the book set?

1363 DR (see Grand History of the Realms, p. 146). Oh, and in his first game description (under 2nd Ed), Artus was listed as an 8th-level fighter.
Go to Top of Page

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  20:19:16  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth
1363 DR (see Grand History of the Realms, p. 146). Oh, and in his first game description (under 2nd Ed), Artus was listed as an 8th-level fighter.

8th-level I would have thought his level would have been lower. No matter.
Do you know what is his best weapon proficiency?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  21:08:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of Winter also mentions, in passing, the character Razor John, who was one of the major characters in Crusade. And it was Danilo Thann who gave Uther the butler his devilish appearance, though he's not named in the book, nor does the scene take place in the book.

I like little touches like that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  21:17:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

8th-level I would have thought his level would have been lower. No matter.
Do you know what is his best weapon proficiency?

Code of the Harpers makes him a 7th level bard, though there is a question mark after the seven. Heroes' Lorebook named him an 8th level fighter. He doesn't have a favored weapon named, but the latter source gives him a preference for daggers, and that was most of what he used in the novel.

In the novel, he's generally described as a historian, and doesn't really do much that could be narrowed down to a specific class. Given his scholarly background and leanings, I'd prolly class him as some sort of non-spellcasting, non-entertaining bard, or maybe a fighter/bard mixture.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  12:15:30  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a fighter or rogue with the archaeologist kit from Dragon 241 would have been a better fit for the 2nd ed.

Its been a few years since I read the book, does Artus use any clearly bardic abilities at all?
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  13:31:32  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Maybe a fighter or rogue with the archaeologist kit from Dragon 241 would have been a better fit for the 2nd ed.

I was thinking along similar lines - I always thought of Artus Cimber as the Forgotten Realms' Indiana Jones .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  15:19:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Its been a few years since I read the book, does Artus use any clearly bardic abilities at all?

Well, he's a very knowledgeable sort, but that's about it. I'd assume he has the bardic knowledge ability, but that's about the only bardic thing he did. As I said, he really didn't do much of anything that could be limited to any one class... He's a really smart guy who fights with a dagger. That's hard to classify.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  16:40:53  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel Vanity's Brood also happens partially in Chult, tough not as good as Ring of Winter.
Go to Top of Page

jcdf
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  20:49:22  Show Profile  Visit jcdf's Homepage Send jcdf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

The novel Vanity's Brood also happens partially in Chult, tough not as good as Ring of Winter.

What is it about? Why not as good?
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  09:41:51  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's about a psionic from Hlondeth chasing some yuan-ti who are along with the wild dwarf character the only Chult-ish elements in the book. Ring of Winter has the great Mezro, that alone trumps Vanity's Brood.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  15:24:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of Winter is more of a "Lost World"-type of tale. Modern (for the Realms) guy going into the jungle, finding dinosaurs and a lost civilization. It's a fun tale.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  15:47:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's about a psionic from Hlondeth chasing some yuan-ti who are along with the wild dwarf character the only Chult-ish elements in the book. Ring of Winter has the great Mezro, that alone trumps Vanity's Brood.

Heh. I actually preferred Vanity's Brood. Ring of Winter had its moments, but then, I'm a sucker for Scaly Folk-tales... and Smedman's novels simply delivered more of what I was looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  20:11:08  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh. I actually preferred Vanity's Brood. Ring of Winter had its moments, but then, I'm a sucker for Scaly Folk-tales... and Smedman's novels simply delivered more of what I was looking for.

Ring of Winter, maybe the plot could have been better, but it had a few wonderful ideas, and I like the mystery around the artifact, the ice-age threat.

Vanity's Brood was refreshing after the awful second novel where only the marilith in the end was interesting. Scaleyfolk are fun, but we didn't see enough of their lifestyle and about the inner-conflicts of their houses, except the ''baths'', needed more of that. Smaragd, finally there was something planar but I felt the place was too desolate, with ''from point A to B purpose''. So I still prefer Stygian stuff or the Pantathians etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  22:28:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I still prefer Stygian stuff or the Pantathians etc.

I don't believe the Pantathians have ever before been mentioned on this forum! I preferred Draken-Korin's tiger-men, myself, but we only got to see them once, and it was brief.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  00:40:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't believe the Pantathians have ever before been mentioned on this forum! I preferred Draken-Korin's tiger-men, myself, but we only got to see them once, and it was brief.
I'm actually more a fan of the Saaur, so...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  01:12:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oooh, yeah, them and their massive horses... That might be fun to adapt for the Realms!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  01:45:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oooh, yeah, them and their massive horses... That might be fun to adapt for the Realms!

Aye. Thought about that somewhat, myself. At first, I had kind of a "Talenta halflings and their dinosaurs" from EBERRON vibe. But after some early and initial tinkering, I've divorced myself from that concept now. I'm working more on integration with the Realms, at the moment, but I really need to read Shadow of a Dark Queen again, because I didn't take any notes about the Saaur, the last time I read it.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  12:02:08  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lol. They are intriguing, always wondered why they didn't show up again when the action was in Novindus. I'd imagine them as rakshasas, with a militaristic bend. Similarly that new creatures, the quor, want to see more about them.

I wasn't a fan of the sauur initially, but that got improved. Their shamans and the city of the demented priests is interesting. About adapting the to the Realms, the Shaar would be ideal for some people. My continent where is Katashaka is dominated by reptillians and serpents, so I'm thinking some pampas-like plains.

The idea of Talenta halflings is a bit ridiculous imo.

Midkemia is among my favourite worlds, adapted a lot of stuff from there to the Realms, and it fitted easily comparing some other ideas from fantasy that I tried adjusting. I'm not jump through portal to another planet type, it always has to include the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  13:13:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The idea of Talenta halflings is a bit ridiculous imo.
Well, it wasn't really a direct translation of the Talenta halfings. Rather, it was kind of a mix between them, the Lizardmen of Warhammer, the Sarrukh, and the Pahkwa-thanh of Star Trek.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  20:51:51  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea WH has lots of usable ideas, I imagine Slann as something between (evolutionary) the batrachi and the reptilians, always thought the amphibians should be older. Of other scaleys Aelfinn of WoT are interesting, but there's not enough about them.

Anyone else used Feist's ideas in their campaigns? The Talnoy seem perfect as weapons of Imaskar.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  21:16:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

yea WH has lots of usable ideas, I imagine Slann as something between (evolutionary) the batrachi and the reptilians, always thought the amphibians should be older. Of other scaleys Aelfinn of WoT are interesting, but there's not enough about them.

Anyone else used Feist's ideas in their campaigns? The Talnoy seem perfect as weapons of Imaskar.

I've always liked his idea for dark elves... The fact that a moredhel can become an eledhel, and vice versa, is to me a lot cooler than dark-skinned subterranean elves. Don't get me wrong, I like drow (though not as much as some! ), but I love the idea of dark elves and regular elves being virtually identical.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  00:40:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Slann have featured heavily in my PLANESCAPE campaign. In fact, I've derived part of their origin from the Slaadi.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  20:52:05  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The slaadi, that's another good option for them.

quote:

I've always liked his idea for dark elves... The fact that a moredhel can become an eledhel, and vice versa, is to me a lot cooler than dark-skinned subterranean elves. Don't get me wrong, I like drow (though not as much as some! ), but I love the idea of dark elves and regular elves being virtually identical.

Agree about the drow and dark elves, probably the drow would be irredeemable. I hardly ever use drow. It's a good idea of different elven cultures rather than subraces. The -edhel names are annoying tough. And the eldar place on Kelewan reminds of Auseriel. The elven spellweavers fits, being that elves are creatures of the Weave.

Other ideas I like, the Conclave of Shadows and the Moonstars are similar, and the idea of artifacts like the ones Tomas has. And I had Armengar as an isolated city in the Tortured Lands (except there are daemons around, and no oil).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  00:56:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Other ideas I like, the Conclave of Shadows and the Moonstars are similar, and the idea of artifacts like the ones Tomas has. And I had Armengar as an isolated city in the Tortured Lands (except there are daemons around, and no oil).
Heh. I'll admit, I kinda used the basis of the Conclave as the reason for a further schism among the Moonstars -- re-aligning the actual aims of the 'Stars and taking them into territory even Khelben would be weary of.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  09:22:52  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The slaadi, that's another good option for them.

quote:

Agree about the drow and dark elves, probably the drow would be irredeemable. I hardly ever use drow. It's a good idea of different elven cultures rather than subraces. The -edhel names are annoying tough. And the eldar place on Kelewan reminds of Auseriel. The elven spellweavers fits, being that elves are creatures of the Weave.

This is simular to Dragonlance with Dark Elves being cast out / renegade elves, I have used this in FR, the elves in question being a Golf Elf Family cast out from Evermeet for their dark ways, the clan grew with like minded Elves joining the clan. thus in my own homebrew a new sub-sub race of Evil Gold Elves was brought about.

Delz

Just noticed we are a bit off topic here +sorry+

Edited by - Delzounblood on 02 Oct 2009 09:24:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000