Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Tlincalis/Manscorpions/Stingers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sammael
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  00:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Sammael's Homepage Send Sammael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently running a campaign in Amn/Tethyr, and I'm planning on using tlincalis as secondary antagonists. I've read all the information there is to read on them, but I still have no idea about their deities. Tlincalis are supposed to be from Maztica, but I didn't find any mention of them in the Maztica campaign setting, and none of the Maztican gods seems to fit them. I know they are originally from Sumerian/Babylonian myths, but associating them with Untheric deities doesn't work. I sort of need to come up with their religion to work it into the plot (tlincali clerics know a ritual to transform other races into tlincalis... or something similar to tlincalis, since I'm going to run "The Hive" adventure from Dungeon 127 next session, replacing formians with tlincalis, and trying to play off the "cursed by gods" aspect of the race. I'm setting it in the Small Teeth mountains, in the hills north of the (former) West Tower of the Eternal Eclipse.

Any help on their religion (and tlincalis in general) is greatly appreciated.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  01:35:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's really not a whole lot of info on the religion of the manscorpions. Though, Rip Van Wormer once suggested, via his Manscorpions in the City of Brass write-up [archived over at planewalker.com], that:- "... they worship the Nimmurian gods: Menlil the Guide, he of the whispered promises, the mother-goddess Nin-Hurabi, mistress of the primordial darkness, and Idu, the forsaken god of the sun ..."

Perhaps you could just utilise the Realms-equivalent [or as close to equivalent as you can find] for them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Sep 2009 01:36:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  19:43:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I connected them to Tiamet in my version of FR, because they were connected to her in RW mythology.

I had some homebrew history for them in some Maztica thread over at WotC, describing them as a group of Drow that followed Tiamet instead, who were punished by Lolth by turning them into something similar to Driders.

Nothing canon, just how I worked them into my Realms (which still has Maztica).

Edit: I liked the Lolth/Tiamet schism I had going on there - I was using the Maztican pantheon as a bunch of aliases for the Draconic pantheon, and the Tiamet/Tlincallis thing worked so well (especially consdiering that there is a Drow city named Tlindhet - obviously 'Tlin' means something in Dark-Elven).

Once again, nothing canon - I was just trying to explain my train of thought and why I went that way....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Sep 2009 19:46:32
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  05:00:20  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always assumed that the Faerunian Tlincalii worshipped Talona, having forsaken their ancestral gods.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  06:06:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I connected them to Tiamet in my version of FR, because they were connected to her in RW mythology.

I had some homebrew history for them in some Maztica thread over at WotC, describing them as a group of Drow that followed Tiamet instead, who were punished by Lolth by turning them into something similar to Driders.

Nothing canon, just how I worked them into my Realms (which still has Maztica).

Edit: I liked the Lolth/Tiamet schism I had going on there - I was using the Maztican pantheon as a bunch of aliases for the Draconic pantheon, and the Tiamet/Tlincallis thing worked so well (especially consdiering that there is a Drow city named Tlindhet - obviously 'Tlin' means something in Dark-Elven).

Once again, nothing canon - I was just trying to explain my train of thought and why I went that way....

That's an interesting spin on things, especially considering the drider parallel and the tlin angle. I generally don't care for assuming connections between similar words, but that's given me something to muse over.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

deaconrayne
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  16:59:25  Show Profile Send deaconrayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, where ARE these sources detailing the Tlincalis? I think they're fascinating creatures, but I am short on facts. Can anyone recommend a few good reads?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone."

-Tyrion Lannister
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  17:41:36  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really a bit of a needle in a haystack, but I do remember reading a very good article in Dragon Magazine about 15 years ago concerning the Manscorpions in the Mystara campaign world. It was quite thorough concerning culture, and I'm sure it must have included some stuff about gods.

I think it might have been part of the Princess Ark articles, can't recall the issue ...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  18:23:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

This is really a bit of a needle in a haystack, but I do remember reading a very good article in Dragon Magazine about 15 years ago concerning the Manscorpions in the Mystara campaign world. It was quite thorough concerning culture, and I'm sure it must have included some stuff about gods.

I think it might have been part of the Princess Ark articles, can't recall the issue ...

It won't be helpful if it was in one of the Princess Ark articles, but you could always consult The DragonDex...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  19:14:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Savage Coast stuff (free wizards downloads) contains manscorpion rules, lore, and histories. It's written for 2E, and primarily written for Mystara ... though the setting info and fluff should be easy imports into any D&D game. Good for more ideas and depth, at least, even if you disregard most of it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

deaconrayne
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  19:22:18  Show Profile Send deaconrayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I found some additional material in Dragon Issues Number: 192, 195, 196, 198, & 199. But tell me of these Savage Coast & Mystra supplements. Are you referring to the material that was published back in '85?

-Tyrion Lannister
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  19:25:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm ... circa 1987-1990, written (or at least re-written) into 2E rules formats.

I'll post the download links once I get home.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

deaconrayne
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  19:44:40  Show Profile Send deaconrayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that'd be most appreciated, I'm looking forward to it.

-Tyrion Lannister
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2011 :  22:37:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Monsters of Faerūn has information about them, albeit, mostly monster stats, and only a tiny, little slice of lore.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DrunkenHadozee
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2011 :  13:01:20  Show Profile  Visit DrunkenHadozee's Homepage Send DrunkenHadozee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll needs a little dusting...

I found some more information in the 3rd edition FR sourcebook Underdark, pp. 164-166. It details Oaxaptupa, a stinger colony located under the Cloud Peaks (between Amn and the Western Heartlands).

Of interest, however, are these tidbits:

There are nine major tlincalli deities and two minor ones.

The book names three of them: Huoxopica and his wife Ixtilli, the two main stinger gods; and Corantllil, the stinger deity of unceasing activity.

It might be worth the time to ask around the Chamber of Sages and try to find out who wrote the Oaxaptupa section; said author might have more info on the stinger pantheon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000