Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  06:07:49  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Kinda miss the Candlekeep compendium, does anyone know if their going to be doing another one? the last one was in 2007 so im just wondering.

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  07:13:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're waiting to find out if we can do one. We were waiting on the Fan Site Policy, but that answered absolutely zero questions about whether or not we'd be allowed to keep doing them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  10:04:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. It's all still kind of a "gray area" in terms of the legalities surrounding what we can and cannot include in the Compendium. Until we know for sure, it's probably best to hold back any future releases.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  13:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, WoTC's policy of deliberate ambiguity is working well at creating a chilling effect, meaning that things like the Compendium don't get released. I don't think WoTC will clear up that ambiguity anytime soon either.
Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  13:57:41  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If their policy is unclear, why not go ahead anyway? The worst you would have to do is remove stuff later. Include more now and remove that which is not permitted at a future date, rather than waiting for that unspecified future date to publish that lesser amount anyway.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  14:33:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

If their policy is unclear, why not go ahead anyway? The worst you would have to do is remove stuff later. Include more now and remove that which is not permitted at a future date, rather than waiting for that unspecified future date to publish that lesser amount anyway.

The problem is that we already exist at WotC's sufferance. If we do something they decide violates their IP, then they could shut us down. They've already shut down a couple of sites for doing that. So we need to tread carefully until we know exactly what we can and can't do.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  14:47:31  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not simply ask them? I know it sounds silly, but if you could contact WOTC and present the project, they would be able to answer directly, and the case would be closed (and candlekeep still open), for better or for worse, no?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  15:10:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Why not simply ask them? I know it sounds silly, but if you could contact WOTC and present the project, they would be able to answer directly, and the case would be closed (and candlekeep still open), for better or for worse, no?

We've had a couple of people say they were going to do that, but either they've not done so, or they've yet to receive a response.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  17:04:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes. But the problem with that is, even if we removed the information later, it could still cause legal problems for Candlekeep.

You see, it really does depend on the exact wording of the Fan Site policy. After all, it might eventually contain provisions for retroactive clauses, for example. And that could potentially affect the function of the site based on whatever parts of Wizards IP we may have featured here -- regardless of whether we've removed it or not.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  17:05:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I've actually been in the process of writing up a lengthy letter for Wizards which would address this matter directly. I'm just waiting on some particulars from other private channels.

Go to Top of Page

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:27:27  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, interesting... Well thats nice to know i guess, and a little irritating at the same time. Guess ill just have to wait i suppose, and sage, good luck on the letter.

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  23:15:24  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The problem is that we already exist at WotC's sufferance. If we do something they decide violates their IP, then they could shut us down. They've already shut down a couple of sites for doing that. So we need to tread carefully until we know exactly what we can and can't do.

They already closed down some sites? Which ones?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  01:13:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

They already closed down some sites? Which ones?

*shrugs* I can't name them off the top of my head; I wasn't familiar with them. As I understand it, one had something that was pretty much a direct copy of their action cards for 4E, and another was a character sheet site that was asking for money.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  01:33:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

Huh, interesting... Well thats nice to know i guess, and a little irritating at the same time. Guess ill just have to wait i suppose, and sage, good luck on the letter.

Indeed. I've received some pertinent input from a number of legal aficionados, so I'm hopeful that I've got my point across in the letter.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  03:51:06  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused on how websites and publications like Kobold Quarterly are out there publishing material.... but Candlekeep is being extra cautious.

While the Compendium is produced by members of a fan site, it doesn't make the fan site. Wouldn't it fall under the existing 3.5 OGL and the 4.0 GSL?

Now Candlekeep itself not having been updated for a year now, is understandably related to a Fan Site Policy from WoTC.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  04:09:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It comes down to us using items in the Forgotten Realms IP, which is NOT on the 3.0/3.5 OGL or the 4.0 GSL.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  06:19:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I'm confused on how websites and publications like Kobold Quarterly are out there publishing material.... but Candlekeep is being extra cautious.

While the Compendium is produced by members of a fan site, it doesn't make the fan site. Wouldn't it fall under the existing 3.5 OGL and the 4.0 GSL?
Ashe has the right of it.. Basically, the main component of content here at Candlekeep is based on the FORGOTTEN REALMS intellectual property.
quote:
Now Candlekeep itself not having been updated for a year now, is understandably related to a Fan Site Policy from WoTC.
Most of the "Updates" on the main site don't specifically fall under the purview of the Fan Site policy, because they're mostly about products and/or novels released. As well as details about FR content uploaded to the FR website at WotC. Those updates are only lacking because Alaundo hasn't had the time to upload them to the site.

It's only when actual FR content is used as part of something here at Candlekeep, that the potential conflicts with the Fan Site policy could occur.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  06:41:35  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

If their policy is unclear, why not go ahead anyway? The worst you would have to do is remove stuff later.

You see, it really does depend on the exact wording of the Fan Site policy. After all, it might eventually contain provisions for retroactive clauses, for example.

I had that in the back of my mind while I was writing, hoping that such would not be the case. But we ~are~ talking about lawyers here, after all... Oh, well.

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  08:02:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Interpreting law is always a difficult process. Unless it's specifically spelled out, about what can and cannot be done, it's dangerous to assume anything.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  11:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, all this mucking about isn't helping Wizards any. The more they throw junk into the gears the more old timers will turn away.

This ain't 4e bashing, merely stating the obvious. It's sad when you think about it. Plus, the way they are doing their thing with the internet-rules etc. it's very unlikely someone like Brian James will be discovered again.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  13:33:13  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, given the first 9 Compendium volumes, I doubt the 10th could really make much of a difference in Candlekeep's legal position. On the other hand, I definitely understand the urge to be cautious.

I do find it hard to believe that WotC would want to shut Candlekeep down, as it takes quotes from Candlekeep to use as "mini-reviews" on the backs of Realms novels! Still, WotC does strange things sometimes.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  15:22:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

You know, all this mucking about isn't helping Wizards any. The more they throw junk into the gears the more old timers will turn away.

This ain't 4e bashing, merely stating the obvious. It's sad when you think about it. Plus, the way they are doing their thing with the internet-rules etc. it's very unlikely someone like Brian James will be discovered again.

Considering the way they've been operating of late, and the way they've stated certain things (like no criticism on fan sites, anything you put on their forums is theirs, the GSL that gave all benefits to them, etc), I'm actually a little surprised at his success. I think that if they'd found him now instead of a couple years ago, there's every possibility they would have simply taken his work without any compensation.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  12:02:16  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I intended to ask the customer service, but from that other thread it seemed that the matter required more discussion and the approval from who's in charge here.

Personally I think wotc wouldn't do anything if you continue to release the compendiums and that you're being too careful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000