Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your favorite realmsian magic item
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  12:53:04  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What magic item do you like best in the realms as printed in novels or sourcebooks?

Which item did you get to use in a campaign that you still remember fondly?

Personally I am fond of the magic spellbooks in the Pages from the Mages tome. I like magic staffs with blasting powers such as the Staff of Thunder and Lightning aswell.

Still have fond memories of my ex-smith swordsman's greatsword, Flametongue. He claimed being the fastest greatsword wielder of the Swordcoast He got pushed into a portal to the Barrens of Doom and Despair by a Nighthag without his trusty blade though

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  13:12:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane must of been pleased with you nighthag.....

Kerivian

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  14:59:31  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My top three fav's are...

1. "The Seven Lost Rings of Mhzentul" (pg 66 Volo's Guide to All Things Magical) and "Mhzentul's Runes" (pg 76 Pages from the Mages).

When I first read the entry of Mhzentul in the Old Grey Box, I fell in love with the mystery of this character and his works. (I know it's really two items but for the sake of a top 3 list I'm putting these two together).

2. Manshoon's "Battle Gorget" (pg 126 Ruins of Zhentil Keep [Now]). Very cool, very Manshoon

3. "Guenhwyvar", the famous Onyx Panther of Drizzt Do'Urden (pg 177 FRCS 3e) - being a fan of the big cats, Guen as a magical item holds some x-factor for me.

Fun question...thank you
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  15:44:27  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem I like to get pointed to cool things in realmslore and this way is as good as any.

I'd like to mention the sword Angul of Bruce Cordells novels aswell. That almost childlike intelligent sword thats the Keeper of the Cerulean Sign wielded by the rather unusual elf character Kiril that makes her impervious to pain and doggedly determined to smite otherworldy enemies.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  17:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a particular favorite*. All I know is, if it's good enough for Iryklathagra, it's good enough for me. She's got all the best toys.

(*Which is not to say my characters don't have their favorites. My Amaunatori Invoker is much enamored of the Defensive Staff +2 he found in the ruins of Windsong Tower at GenCon!)

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:17:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked up her hoard. Impressive!

The Staff of Shoon is my new favorite magic staff now!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 23 Aug 2009 18:18:46
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  20:19:53  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorites is Kuraltaar the Demonshield (Dragons of Faerūn, p. 135).

Aside from just being cool (demon stuck in a magic item, thus granting the item many of the demons powers) that shield's history opposite Halaster (then Hilather) is awesome. All that info about Halaster's past is a blast to read about.

Edited by - Mr_Miscellany on 23 Aug 2009 20:20:18
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  20:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

One of my favorites is Kuraltaar the Demonshield (Dragons of Faerūn, p. 135).

Aside from just being cool (demon stuck in a magic item, thus granting the item many of the demons powers) that shield's history opposite Halaster (then Hilather) is awesome. All that info about Halaster's past is a blast to read about.

Yes, and what was it's last known location? Hmmm?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  01:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shattering Swords of Coronal Ynloeth, of course . . . though you should have the bracer too, probably.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  01:42:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I'd really have a favourite one, as there's simply too many that I like reading/learning about.

At the moment, I'm kinda intrigued more by the Imaskarcana though. I've postulated several theories about them in my Realms, and I'm always eager for new lore about them in the published Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  03:16:47  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myself, I've all ways been partial to the Golden Grove of Hidden
Knowledge....
Phenomical Cosmic Power=itty bitty living space.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  04:42:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Shattering Swords of Coronal Ynloeth, of course . . . though you should have the bracer too, probably.

Cheers

Erik, I'm with you on this. I had a half-elf ranger (no, his name was not Ashe) who found the swords and the bracer when we played the 2E Ruins of Hellgate Keep adventure. He never did use the shattering power; he returned the swords and bracer to the elves of Evereska (the elves had not yet begun re-establishing a presence in the High Forest, which was very Mirkwoody in my DM's Realms, at that time) and received a sizeable reward. He asked for magical items of equivalent value to the reward, and got swords that were very similar, but without the shattering power. Much more useful, from his perspective.

Edit: 800th post!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 24 Aug 2009 04:43:30
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  05:24:38  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The magic items I liked best where:

- the anti-magic stone that Errtu uses in Siege of Darkness and that makes Matron Baenre fall from her floating disc.

- the magic orbs that the Sojourner uses in the Erevis Cale novels and that Riven then uses for himself.

- the Katana "Celestial Fury" from BG2

- the Robe of Vecna from BG2

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  06:43:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my personal faves has always been one of the simpler ones, an Ed creation that saw print in the first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set: the flying dagger. Something about these daggers flying around has always intrigued me.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  16:59:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Splendid! All very interesting. I cant seem to find that Golden Grove of Hidden Knowledge's reference... any help there?

Skychrome those magic orbs are Ioun stones, nay? I believe Riven and the Sojourner used the higher end ones... the vibrant purple prism and the lavender ellipsoid Ioun stones.Really good Ioun stones, better known in ancient ages as Congenio's Pebbles (see 2nd ed Netheril: Empire of Magic).

About those flying daggers, I recall them being devised by the Blackstaff or Halaster. Correct?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  17:33:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Splendid! All very interesting. I cant seem to find that Golden Grove of Hidden Knowledge's reference... any help there?

Skychrome those magic orbs are Ioun stones, nay? I believe Riven and the Sojourner used the higher end ones... the vibrant purple prism and the lavender ellipsoid Ioun stones.Really good Ioun stones, better known in ancient ages as Congenio's Pebbles (see 2nd ed Netheril: Empire of Magic).

About those flying daggers, I recall them being devised by the Blackstaff or Halaster. Correct?

Halaster may have invented them, but I tend to doubt it. Page 115 of the Campaign Guide to Undermountain (from the first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set) says of them that "This useful magical item was very popular as an animated guardian in younger days of the Realms." There's also mention of many different flavors of them. So I'm sure he created the ones in Undermountain, but that the original concept originated elsewhere in the Realms, likely at multiple times and places.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  18:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So I'm sure he created the ones in Undermountain, but that the original concept originated elsewhere in the Realms, likely at multiple times and places.

Or maybe they were "imports" like the gods from the Kalevala and the Rus tribe and so on. Seems like there are flying daggers flitting around the Puranas, aren't there?

Edited because the board doesn't seem to like some diacritics. For the record, more-or-less standard transliteration from Sanskrit theoretically requires the first letter A in "Puranas" to have a macron, and the N should have the anunaasika subdot dealie. Mac users love diacritical marks!

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 24 Aug 2009 18:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  20:23:11  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many to chose from, but the Nether Scrolls would probably float to the top of the list, in one way or the other!
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  21:28:20  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff of the Magi from BG2.

Anything Jarlaxle has seems pretty awsome to me! Ha!
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  23:19:58  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed, I am pretty sure they are Ion stones. Nothing unusual, but I liked that the Sojourner used a whole bunch of the high end ones orbiting him like the moons of Jupiter. Nice mental image!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  00:49:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

So many to chose from, but the Nether Scrolls would probably float to the top of the list, in one way or the other!

I've spent some time fleshing out the Nether Scrolls in my Realms. Several theories surround their origins, but my current favourite suggests that they are the product of magical works conducted in an alternate reality, and that accidentally found their way to the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  07:15:22  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

I've spent some time fleshing out the Nether Scrolls in my Realms. Several theories surround their origins, but my current favourite suggests that they are the product of magical works conducted in an alternate reality, and that accidentally found their way to the Realms.

Why, Sage, how about sharing some of that? Having a night to sleep on it, I have a better idea why I like them: it's not so much because of their alleged powers, but mostly because, as an artifact, it's totally integrated in the Realms' history. I never defined what it's actual powers are, but I use it as a catch-all explanation for any "special" magical abilities some of the NPCs in my Realms may have - "Aye, that machine was inspired by one of the Nether Scrolls." A convenient (if easy) way of explaining the origin of some special ability, and yet make sure that the PCs do not get it (unless they find one of the Nether Scrolls - I just make sure they do not feature on the Random Treasure Tables ).
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  12:18:33  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the ''learning'' type of artifacts, like Imaskarcana, the Nether Scrolls and that dragon scales. Tough I'd change them mechanically, more like legacy items.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  11:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nether Scrolls!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  12:32:33  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what would the effect be if say farming commoner with a pitchfork #3 found a Nether Scroll and he manged to read it somehow? Phenomenal Cosmic Power (gain 20 free levels of sorcerer?)?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2010 :  19:29:11  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Casts Scroll Ressurection*

For me its the "Elminster's eversmoking pipe", along with a plain harper's Harp (and pin) are the Heart and Soul of the Realms, as i loved them at least
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  03:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Tel'Kirras are very cool, but my favorite item that I actually got to use was the Ollamh Harp.

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  03:17:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My faves? Hmm, Guenhwyvar has to top my list. Love big cats, especially panthers, (one of my totem animals!) and what could be better than an item that is also an ally/friend? Jarlaxle's hat and eye-patch are up there, too. (I would have both- can't take one without the other!) And finally, any elven Telu'kirra. Love those Lore Gems!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  06:58:44  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So what would the effect be if say farming commoner with a pitchfork #3 found a Nether Scroll and he manged to read it somehow? Phenomenal Cosmic Power (gain 20 free levels of sorcerer?)?

I figure that situation qualifies the farmer into becoming a 'wild mage.' Though instead of being a student of wild magic, the farmer is more a product of it, be it willingly or reluctantly!
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  08:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love Elminster's ever-smoking pipe. Also, the Rashemi witch masks are pretty funky.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2010 :  15:03:01  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horreb Ritual Cube!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000