Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Chalsembyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  18:08:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After re-reading the write-up on "Chalsembyr's Heart" on page 61 of CoV (Champions of Valor) for the umpteenth time last week, I asked Ed in his scroll here for any other lore that might be available regarding the realm and Torm pre-ascension. I decided to address the question here to all CK scribes to see what, if anything, others have come up with on the matter. In part, I'm trying to establish a rough date for Torm's ascension, now that I've been able to narrow it down for the Dark Three.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Edited Aug 22 to clarify for Nightseer's (and others') benefit.

Edited Aug 30 to fix a typo...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 Aug 2009 23:16:22

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  07:01:22  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CoV? Champions of Valor?

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  17:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested to know more about the date you think Torm ascended. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2009 :  23:32:27  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry... I kinda lost track of this scroll.

My thoughts are as follows:

As far as the Dark Three are concerned:

- We know that they ascended before -88, when the noble of Clan Fyrson is charged with worshipping Bane and Myrkul.
- It's also safe to assume that the death of Borem (-359 DR) and the transformation of Haask and Hargut (-350 DR) happened fairly shortly before the Dark Three's ascension, which probably happens after the fall of Netheril (-339 DR) and well before the fall of Jhaamdath (-255 DR).

As for Torm... I can find nothing that even hints at a date for his ascension, but the first mention of Torm in the Grand History of the Realms is in -256 DR, so it's possible that he ascended around the same time as the Dark Three. Of course, there are only three mentions of Torm in the entire GHotR, so there's a lot of missing lore there. Specifics, of course, are desired, but probably not forthcoming due to NDA...

Edit: This is why I'm hoping to get some canonical information regarding Chalsembyr, strictly to narrow the window for Torm's ascension. I'm completely expecting Chalsembyr to be under NDA, simply because there's no hope of any sort of project actually being put together to justify the NDA... after all, it's well and truly pre-Spellplague, which means untouchable according to recent Wizbro dogma, so the NDA must be in place simply to conceal "that which has gone before and is no longer relevant"... and I'm getting into paranoid ranting here, so I'll stop now.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 31 Aug 2009 19:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2009 :  21:16:40  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't have the books right now, wasn't he rewarded for aiding Tyr during the Procession of Justice - 240ish DR
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  03:31:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought so too, but the only occurrences of his name in the GH are in -256 (Shining South - the Adama), 729 (the Triad Crusade to Impiltur), and 1358 (ToT). Let me check my own timeline... nothing more there, apart from a more detailed breakdown of the ToT.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Sep 2009 03:36:38
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  08:13:32  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked some the books. Faith and Pantheons surprisingly has some of the info under Torm's history. It says he served as a war leader and champion for a mortal monarch of Chalsembyr which was most likely in the Border Kingdoms, immediately after the fall of Netheril. Maybe I'll check the Polyhedron articles for Chalsembyr, but doubt it's there. Torn doesn't sound to me as a southerner name.

Also Torm is served by gold and silver dragons, it says in CoV that some of these dragons are the founders of ancient sorcerer bloodlines
among the younger races. Maybe the Land of the Alabaster Towers, that would stretch the history way back.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  08:48:28  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the research, Quale!

If you find anything in Polyhedron, let me know; the only issues I have are from after it got bound together with Dungeon. I'd love to get all the Polyhedron back issues on PDF, but it doesn't look like they'll be available any time soon.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2009 :  08:21:10  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked what I have (not thoroughly), didn't find any gem. Still don't know where I got that about Torm helping Tyr, it only mentions Ilmater joined ...
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2010 :  05:01:31  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*casts resurrect scroll...*

Wow... I knew which room I'd posted this in, and I found the right shelf # on my first try. Sometimes I scare me... well, okay, more than sometimes...

Anyway, I was doing some more thinking about this (mostly regarding the Dark Three) and I'm more convinced than ever now that Torm and the Dark Three ascended around the same time, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was on the same day... I believe that Tyr sponsored Torm for divinity in much the same way that Jergal sponsored the Dark Three, and Ao agreed to Torm's ascension to maintain the balance between good and evil in the pantheon.

Here's some other bits of lore I found:

quote:

crazedventurers
Posted - 02 Feb 2008

quote:

Originally posted by Kenzuki Shinku

Dear Mr. Greenwood.

First time poster here. I've a very important question that I've been wanting to ask, it's always nagged me and I would like an answer concering the Dead Three.

Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul. Were these their mortal names or did they change names on becoming deities? And what year did they ascend to godhood? If it's NDA I understand.

Have you read Faiths and Avatars? - the 'Rolling the Bones' side piece?

Something else that might help date their route to ascension is here, placing their ascension shortly after -350 DR.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20071107a&pf=true

debate has taken place that the 3 figures are Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal - there is a thread here that discusses this theory further

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10224&SearchTerms=ironfang,keep

Hope this helps

Damian

quote:
The Sage
Posted - 02 Feb 2008

While Ed may have more to add... I have a few points I can add to this in the meantime.

quote:
Originally posted by Kenzuki Shinku

Dear Mr. Greenwood.

First time poster here. I've a very important question that I've been wanting to ask, it's always nagged me and I would like an answer concering the Dead Three.

Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul. Were these their mortal names or did they change names on becoming deities?

Ed, in Stormlight, suggested that Bane, who used to be a mortal before he ascended to godhood, might have been born on another world far different and far removed from Toril. "Bane" may have been his mortal name as well. So given Bane's "mortal" origins, it's definitely an intriguing possibility.

On the other hand, Bane... or possibly a world-specific derivative, could've been a common name on the world from which Bane came from. After all, we do have plenty of examples of gods, in the Realms, who have retained their mortal names upon ascending to godhood -- Kelemvor and Cyric being the more obvious examples, and Velsharoon being another.

The ascension details, in Faiths & Avatars, surrounding Bane's rise as a god also seems to suggest that Bane was his name prior to becoming a god. Or, perhaps, this was merely the name Bane adopted upon arriving in the Realms... an indication, possibly, of seeing himself as the "ultimate tyrant" and "bane of all that is lawfully just."

quote:

And what year did they ascend to godhood? If it's NDA I understand.

The year of the Ascension of the Dark Three has never been specifically referenced.

We can't really provide a "rough" year either. Initial estimates suggest between 267 DR and 700 DR as the time of ascension for Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul.

Though... Lands of Intrigue notes that a young noble of Clan Fyrson, in -88 DR, was charged with worshipping the dark gods Bane and Myrkul. This tends to throw the above estimates out and suggests that Bane and Myrkul ascended earlier than 267 DR and after -339 DR which marks the Fall of Netheril.

Specifically, we can probably assume that this event occured sometime between -339 DR and -88 DR.

We also know that Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul likely slew Borem -- one of the Seven Lost Gods -- each seizing a portion of Borem's divine essence for themselves. This was, perhaps, shortly before they entered the Castle of Bone and confronted Jergal.

Faiths & Pantheons places the possible location of the Lake of Boiling Mud, which may have been the "avatar" of Borem, on Mezeketh Isle -- two miles SW of Saerloon's harbor.

It's also said that the Lake may have existed, during pre-Dale Reckoning, somewhere in Jhaamdath -- possibly in the vicinity of what would become Sembia. No specific dates are offered.

Jhaamdath "falls" in -255 DR. And Chondathan, which will eventually become Saerloon, was "properly" established between the 360's and 380's DR. 'Tis likely founded some time before that... given that Chondathan migrations across the Inner Sea to the lands of what will become Sembia, occur around the -200s DR.

Given the -339 DR starting point, and the details about the Lake possibly being located in pre-Dale Reckoning Jhaamdath, that could possibly narrow the period of Bane's ascension to between Netheril's Fall in -339 DR and the Fall of Jhaamdath in -255 DR.

Additionally, Eric offers this little tidbit...

"Implicit in your assumption is that the Lake of Boiling Mud is a "real lake". I'd suggest that maybe it's a moveable lake (in other words, the lake is the "avatar" of Borem).

Alternatively, it could be the lake is created by opening a blood-spewing portal. When the portal closes/moves, the lake drains away.

--Eric"

There's a few tidbits in Grand History as well but, again, nothing definitive.

GHotR, page 46: sidebar by Eric L. Boyd: The Battle of Boiling Mud

The author of the chronicle reproduced here is almost certainly Kiisonraathiisar, the topaz dragon who was ruler of Westgate until -349 DR, describing his encounter with the mortals Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul in -359 DR (the Year of Boiling Moats). Kiisonraathiisar describes his realm as extending "south as far as the Lake of the Long Arm and west as far as the Giant's Run Mountains," which is consistent with Westgate being the seat of the realm. The River Reza is probably the unnamed river and lakes south of Westgate and Teziir, making Rezamark the surrounding scrublands north of the Lake of the Long Arm.

I would agree with Eric's conception of the lake, particularly in light of his work on this sidebar. Interestingly, it's similar in nature (if not substance) to the Pool of Radiance of Tyranthraxus.

Ironfang Keep web article by Brian R. James: Last Days of Grong-Haap

In -350 DR (the Year of Craven Words), the Dark Three kill Haask and Hargut, again with the Jathiman Dagger according to the description... but how were they able to remove it from Borem's heart to do this without him regenerating, as he does in the adventure in Faiths & Pantheons?

That's all the canon I can find... I would place the ascension of the Dark Three and Torm at somewhere around -335 to -330, as I believe that it follows the fall of Netheril, and it almost certainly precedes the Dawn Cataclysm.

Given the reluctance at WotC to give us precise dates for things divine (despite us having a day-by-day account of the Time of Troubles), we'll probably have to hammer this out based on published lore regarding other events that we can assign relatively to the time frame of the ascensions. Maybe what we need is a novel about the Dark Three... of course, that's about as likely as the flying pigs I'm so fond of...

In any event, I'm still hoping to get more information on Chalsembyr at some point... but with WotC now apparently doing everything they can to reverse the last three years of real time, I suspect that all the old lore is about to become useful again... to them, and so, not to us.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Sep 2010 05:04:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000