Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 which author would you like to see return
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  17:28:18  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
as in which author who has written in the setting in the past but no longer does so would you like to see come back and what would be your ideal setting,plot etc.for me it would be doug niles with a new moonshae trilogy.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  17:30:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff Grubb.

'Nuff said!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  18:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Jeff Grubb.
I don't know how Jeff feels about it, but I could not agree more.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  18:24:14  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
whats he doing now?and kate novak.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  18:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Jeff is working on stuff like this.

http://www.guildwars.com/

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  20:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff Grubb for me as well. Others whose last Realms novel is far too long ago would include Elaine Cunningham and Mel Odom.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  21:15:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Elaine and Jeff definitely...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  22:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Call me sentimental, but since we're dealing with wishes, I would like to see Brian Thomsen come back.

Granted, his novels for the Realms were not his strongest work, but I'm finding I'm missing the snarky guy from NYC more and more. I'm so grateful I had the chance to sit down with him at the last Gen Con, only to hear he passed away only a month or so later. So yes, he's missed by me and likely a few other Candlekeep scribes, though more for the man than the novels.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  23:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hear hear for BT. The man is sorely missed.

Per the OP, I couldn't pick one veteran Realms author over another. I grew up reading all their stuff, and wouldn't part with a bit of it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  23:20:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The writing duo of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak, definitely.

Elaine, too.

James Lowder did some good stuff, too.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  23:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seconded for James Lowder, but can I vote for ALL of them to come back? Referring to Elaine in the past tense of the Realms saddens me greatly.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  01:27:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Brian has a point. I'm still not comfortable with the thought of likely never reading another Elaine-crafted Realms work.

Brian Thomsen is definitely well worth the consideration. It's truly heartbreaking to realise that we'll likely never see his like again.

I'll second James Lowder too. Though I will admit that I'm having a lot of fun with his Screaming Tower at the moment.

And any Douglas Niles fans should pick up his new "Dwarf Home" trilogy for the DRAGONLANCE setting, for an example of his current work.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  04:42:23  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Jeff Grubb for me as well. Others whose last Realms novel is far too long ago would include Elaine Cunningham and Mel Odom.

Speaking of Mel Odom...Wrath of the Blue Lady is due out in December, so I think you'll get your wish on that one.

For me, just like most people here, it's Grubb & Novak and Cunningham. I hope one day she finds the inspiration to finish Reclamation and Wizards isn't stupid enough to say no. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  22:59:02  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mnb128

quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Speaking of Mel Odom...Wrath of the Blue Lady is due out in December, so I think you'll get your wish on that one.

For me, just like most people here, it's Grubb & Novak and Cunningham. I hope one day she finds the inspiration to finish Reclamation and Wizards isn't stupid enough to say no. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

wrath of the blue lady.what series will this be in.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  00:24:53  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope to see new stuff from Elaine Cunningham asap! I know it is kind of weird to talk of her in the past, but honestly right now it does not sound as if WoTC had scheduled her for something new already.

Regarding the other authors: have to fill the TSR novel gap to be able to comment on that. I am working on it.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  10:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently enjoying Starlight & Shadows, it already seems very disappointing that Elaine Cunningham isn't going to grace us with more FR literature. She's the first author in a long time (since J. Carey) who i've enjoyed this much. Her writing "flows" - she creates amazing characters and it's obvious from her lyrical, almost poetic writing style (though not in the same degree as Kushiel's Dart) that she's enjoying every minute of it. I deeply hope to read newer works from her and my next book order will most likely hold every title she's written in Forgotten realms ^^.

Secondly, i hope that Erik Scott DeBie writes a longer series of FR-themed books - Downshadow was thoroughly enjoyable. No matter how much you oh-so demurely downplay your own role in the introductory acknowledgements, i think we all know that you're a talented young writer with an eye and grasp for both the english language and the creation of enjoyable and memorable characters as well as plots :).

Judging by this thread, i suppose i'll have to pick up the collected works of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak as well ^^.

Edited by - Janav on 08 Jul 2009 10:21:16
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  12:52:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham
the Novak-Grubbs
Lynn Abbey
Dave Gross

'nuff said.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  16:34:14  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I agree with all the authors mentioned so far (especialy Elaine Cunningham) and would add:

Ed Gentry
Douglas Niles (if there are no more DL books)
Edward Bolme (if he is not writing anymore Eberron novels)

I am sure there are others I am forgetting but these jumped to mind
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  17:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janav

Secondly, i hope that Erik Scott DeBie writes a longer series of FR-themed books - Downshadow was thoroughly enjoyable. No matter how much you oh-so demurely downplay your own role in the introductory acknowledgements, i think we all know that you're a talented young writer with an eye and grasp for both the english language and the creation of enjoyable and memorable characters as well as plots :).

Wow, thank you. I am honored.

I do hope to write more in the Realms--it's just a matter of convincing WotC to give me more to write. If my books prove successful, and I keep getting good reviews, I'm hopeful it'll happen.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  18:00:34  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely Jeff Grubb (first author that pop into mind before I openned the scroll), Kate Novak, Douglas Niles, Elaine Cunningham (didn't know she had stopped!), oh and also Jean Rabe.

Edited by - Auzoros on 08 Jul 2009 18:02:03
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  19:55:29  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty
wrath of the blue lady.what series will this be in.

The Wilds.

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
Elaine Cunningham
the Novak-Grubbs
Lynn Abbey
Dave Gross

'nuff said.

I'll second Dave Gross. Love his stuff.
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2009 :  20:14:19  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well I agree with all the authors mentioned so far (especialy Elaine Cunningham) and would add:

Ed Gentry
Douglas Niles (if there are no more DL books)
Edward Bolme (if he is not writing anymore Eberron novels)

Thanks for that, DR. I appreciate it.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  05:35:48  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham.

Even though I never really read her work beyond short stories and brief samplings, and initially disliked some of it (of course this attempt was before I knew much of anything about the FR..and could just as easily be applied to nearly every other FR author before and since), I still would prefer to see her return. Also the cancellation of Reclamation pretty much killed my inclination to read the Song and Swords saga, just as I was about to delve into it.

Edited by - The Simbul on 09 Jul 2009 05:37:16
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  20:45:11  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yessssss...thatīs great news. I wasnīt really aware of him writing the novel, so thanks for the headsup.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  02:07:54  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Elaine Cunningham.

Also the cancellation of Reclamation pretty much killed my inclination to read the Song and Swords saga, just as I was about to delve into it.

I think it would be a big mistake if you don't read it. Just finished The Dream Spheres, and although I long for closure, I certainly don't regret having read the five existing novels (Don't miss the short stories either. Cunningham's are some of the best ss in the anthologies and add even more depth to the Songs and Swords characters).
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2009 :  19:33:29  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i just long to see whats become of kymil neilson.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  00:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the words of Benjamin Bradock:

ELAAAAAAAINE!!! *pounds on glass* ELAaaaAAAAaaine!

So yeah. I agree. Ms Cunningham needs to get her shot at that 'what happens to Eliath' novel.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  03:18:36  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham.

Good lord do i ever want to read the wrap up of Danilo Thann, Arylyn Moonblade, Elaith Craulnober and Kimil Nimesin.

Danilo's reaction to His uncle's death for one. Elaith because, well, he is just one of my favorite Realms Characters.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  12:12:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets see; Doug Niles, Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak, Troy Denning (with smaller stories), Cunningham and Scott Ciencin (with a follow-up to Night Parade). Mark Anthony and Zeb Cook would also be a welcome sight.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  01:54:10  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see Jeff Grubb come back, also Cunningham, Lisa Smedman, and Phil Athans. I really miss Mark Anthony. The haper books he wrote ( Crypt of the Shadowking and Curse of the Shadowmage) were awesome books. The wife and I read those together and we still talk about them after reading them 3 years ago. David Cook is a good writer also. I just finished King Pinch and it was kick arse.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Darkstar Daimonizomal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  02:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Darkstar Daimonizomal's Homepage Send Darkstar Daimonizomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham

~ Darkstar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000