Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Looking for a book - Tangled webs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  17:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, the only book i haven't been able to find for my latest shipping was "Tangled Webs" by Elaine Cunningham. Since the series turned out to be so good (the first book anyway), i'm desperately looking for a copy. In some cosmic coincidence however, it seems that every single retailer in Sweden, scandinavia and even german amazon is out of fresh copies.

I'm looking for an online bookstore that takes VISA (paypal is not an option) and has an either used copy in decent condition that they will ship internationally. Ebay is an option and that's where i'll turn eventually but it seems that most of the "stores" on ebay are inclined to only take paypal as payment alternative. So, i thought i'd check here first since some users seem pretty savvy when it comes to online bookstore alternatives :).

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  21:28:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try nobleknight.com

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  22:08:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a little curious as to why Visa is an option, but PayPal isn't... You can link PayPal to a bank account or a credit card. Just about everything I buy online, I use PayPal for.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  23:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I know that kind of pain, I just had a quick look around...

You can grab it via Amazon (the German one) as a 2nd hand novel for 3,55...

http://www.amazon.de/TANGLED-WEBS-Forgotten-Realms-Novel/dp/0786906987/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1246487514&sr=1-18

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  01:29:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm a little curious as to why Visa is an option, but PayPal isn't... You can link PayPal to a bank account or a credit card. Just about everything I buy online, I use PayPal for.

I'll second this.

I've done much the same for certain overseas orders, and I've yet to experience any particular problems.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  12:36:26  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can link PayPal to a bank account or a credit card.

Exactly my problem :). It comes down to the fact that i simply don't trust paypal with my money - not with any amount. I'm aware that 99,99% of the users of the service don't experience any problems in using it (my younger brother is a paypal freak :p) but the prevalence of sites such as Paypalsucks.com (while over-dramatized) shows that there are certain problems and i don't have enough money to become part of the 0,01% that experience these problems. It only becomes a pain not to have a paypal account during instances such as these, and there are usually ways to circumvent it.

Thanks for the nobleknight.com and the amazon.de advice. Seems i didn't check the older versions of the book properly and i'll be ordering one of the used ones from there.

//Sebastian
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  16:47:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Janav

quote:

You can link PayPal to a bank account or a credit card.

Exactly my problem :). It comes down to the fact that i simply don't trust paypal with my money - not with any amount. I'm aware that 99,99% of the users of the service don't experience any problems in using it (my younger brother is a paypal freak :p) but the prevalence of sites such as Paypalsucks.com (while over-dramatized) shows that there are certain problems and i don't have enough money to become part of the 0,01% that experience these problems. It only becomes a pain not to have a paypal account during instances such as these, and there are usually ways to circumvent it.

Thanks for the nobleknight.com and the amazon.de advice. Seems i didn't check the older versions of the book properly and i'll be ordering one of the used ones from there.

//Sebastian

Really, you're going to run some risk with any online transaction -- if you're not mailing them the payment or physically handing it to them, there's risk. PayPal has been great for me ever since I first used it like 6 years ago or so, and I've actually avoided some places because they didn't take PayPal.

If you're that concerned about it, start a separate bank account, link PayPal to it, and only put money in it when you're going to buy something.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  22:48:31  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
go with nobleknight mate.the sage put me onto them and if its good enough for him its good enough for me.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  00:56:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the confidence, swifty. But I must say that Kuje was actually the one who put me onto nobleknight.com a few years back. So, really, what was good for him was good for me and, apparently, is good for you too.

Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  12:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with nobleknight since i want the "new" printing of the book to go with the other copies of my Starlight & Shadows. Plus, they seem pretty fast - only took them a few hours to package and ship the book even though i am an international costumer. Kudos to Nobleknight :).
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  14:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did Nobleknight turn out for you? Did you have to pay taxes on your order when it arrived? How expensive was the shipping? The site looks interesting, I got curious :)
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  14:47:07  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i paid for the least expensive shipping but the book actually turned up a lot quicker than what id paid for.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  15:05:57  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just took a quick look at the site and did not quite get their contents system... how can I find a list of FR novels and supplements there? Neither D&D nor FR serve as category?!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  18:34:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I just took a quick look at the site and did not quite get their contents system... how can I find a list of FR novels and supplements there? Neither D&D nor FR serve as category?!

Go to the top left and click RPG items, then for older material it's still listed under TSR but 3e/4e items are listed under Wizards of the Coast.

Use the alpha listing at the top of the RPG section to jump to the T's or the W's.

And grins at Sage, thanks. As I've said before, I've never had any problems with Aaron and I've used his biz for.... gods, over ten years now?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  20:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only took them a few hours as in, pack it and send it off. Right now it's up to the USPS to handle the shipping. I expect i'll see the package sometime next week or so. As for taxes, it depends on the swedish toll. Sometimes they tax shipments, sometimes they don't. Since it's not within the EU, there's always a risk but even if they do tax it the fee is rather low on such a small, cheap parcel/letter.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  01:17:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kairin

How did Nobleknight turn out for you? Did you have to pay taxes on your order when it arrived? How expensive was the shipping? The site looks interesting, I got curious :)

Well, I'm all the way over in Australia, and even I've been impressed with the shipping rates -- considering the distance the mail will have to travel. Obviously, it's better for me to go with the least expensive delivery option, since the ultra-fast UPS service often ends up costing more than my actual orders. But even with the least expensive option, my package usually arrives well within the 60 days predicted [at most, it's taken two weeks].

Go to Top of Page

Janav
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  08:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Janav's Homepage Send Janav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book arrived this morning, mint-condition just like it was advertised. This makes it a period of 6 business days and considering there was a holiday in between (4th of july, right?) that's pretty damn impressive.

Kudos to Nobleknight.com (and to the USPS) :).

- And no , i didn't have to pay extra VAT/Toll

Edited by - Janav on 07 Jul 2009 08:51:26
Go to Top of Page

Zelg of Cyric
Acolyte

44 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  06:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Zelg of Cyric's Homepage Send Zelg of Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is well worth it. It is one of my favorite books. Elaine Cunningham has put out some masterpieces and this book was one them IMO.

"Even before he first walked the world as a mortal, Cyric had the will to resist the random call of Fate and make his own fortune. As his newborn soul stood before the goddesses, he cast a light upon Tymora's silver coin, blinding them to his presence. The deities never saw the coin fall, never settled their wager on Cyric's destiny. Thus was he born into the world without any fate save the one he himself could forge." -- from the Cyrinishad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000