Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Sembia?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  16:42:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Where can I find out more about this country. 1e/2e seems extremely sparse (and yes, I know the reason why), and there isn't really a whole lot in the 3e FRCS.

I'm also very much aware of Paul Kemp's excellent novels... but they don't really tell me much of anything regarding Sembia.

I'm placing the locales in VGtC ATM, and I noted a few 'across the river' that belong to Sembia, and I was wondering if we ever got any info about Sembia, beyond what was in the CS.

I was going to ask Ed, but with Paul writing there, I'm sure its all under super-lockdown NDA. Maybe someone (Sage?) knows of some older responses regarding this area?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jun 2009 16:43:28

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  16:56:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Sembia specifically 'left blank' in the older editions to give DM's a place to build whatever they wanted?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  17:02:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some in the 1st edition gray box and FR Adventures. Beyond that, really it was left alone until 3e. The 2e edition box set has a little but not much.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  17:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the Death of a Dragon trilogy gave quite the insight into Sembian sociocultural stuff. In addition, the map of Cormyr from 4e Dragon has all of the VGtC locales on it, if you're having trouble.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  17:17:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia wasn't a heavily detailed region in the older Realmslore... mostly because TSR left it as a area for DM's to detail.

Aside from the sources already mentioned:-

"Land of Merchants" [POLYHEDRON #94] and Cult of the Dragon pgs. 33–34.

"Rand's Travelogue:- Caravans and Trading Companies in Sembia" -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010905b

"Rand's Travelogue: More Old Empires and Sembia!" -- http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp%3Fx%3Dfr/fx20020116rt

"Realmslore:- The Flourishing Career of Melvos Hammerstars" -- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

"Realmslore: The Matchmaker of Sembia" -- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/rl/20030709a

See Ed's replies here at Candlekeep also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  17:23:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm also very much aware of Paul Kemp's excellent novels... but they don't really tell me much of anything regarding Sembia.
I'm actually in the process of compiling most of the relevant Sembian/Selgauntan lore from the "Sembia" series [another worthwhile source]. It'll likely all be included in a easy-to-reference PDF eventually.
quote:
I was going to ask Ed, but with Paul writing there, I'm sure its all under super-lockdown NDA. Maybe someone (Sage?) knows of some older responses regarding this area?
I don't have time to search through the archives now. But as I said above, Ed has touched on Sembia in previous replies. You can probably perform your own search for the time being, until I've had a chance to compile most of the relevant stuff you're looking for.

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Jun 2009 17:25:12
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  23:02:40  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main Sembian cities got two-page write-ups in the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  03:20:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually looking for a little something on those smaller, lesser-known locales.

Ah, well.

Thanks for the replies.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  06:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul S Kemp's Shadow War and Erevis Cale Trilogies are the way to go - lots of color, lots of character.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  15:23:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And little in the way of Geography.

I need descriptions of locales; not necessarily the people that live in them.

When placing stuff on a map, I heavilly research each and every locale so that I get it's placement perfect - the official maps aren't always that accurate.

Although I'm sure the placements in the Volo's guides are pretty damn-near perfect, since those maps are all based on Ed's own... I still like to double-check everything, though.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2009 15:24:06
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  02:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some lesser-known places in Sembia:

Drelt: hunters’ hamlet, ne of Daerlun (Dragon #282 p. 71)
Ornstar: tiny hamlet, sw of Ordulin (Polyhedron #94 p. 5)
Skultan: gnome village, e of Daerlun (Dragon #269 p. 87)
Yuthgalaunt: village?, between Ordulin and Yhaunn (Cormyr: A Novel p. 142)

Griffonfang Bridge: bridge, e of Daerlun (Polyhedron #94 p. 5)
Old Hazard Hill Farm: monastic Tymoran retreat (Prayers from the Faithful p. 26)

Am I missing any?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  16:01:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!

You rock!

When I start to compile the Index for the atlas from my notes, I was going to ask the scribes here for references to every locale in Faerūn (and beyond). During that period, I plan to release a v.1.0 of the Atlas for folks here to go through and make corrections, but also mainly to add to whatever I may have missed. Those sites are EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for!

And that's precisely how I want them presented - a couple of words describing where it's located, and then the source and page numbers.

I was going through all my old Dungeon Mags last night, and found quite a few new ones, but I am missing a bunch of issues with FR lore and I will also be asking the scribes here to go through any they might have to help-out with this. Once I put together a list of the ones I'm missing (that contain FR adventures), I will be posting that request. It will probably be around the same time I release the 1.0 version of the Atlas.

I haven't even begun with the Dragon issues yet, but I'm pretty sure I have all of those, so I can probably do that one on my own (which I consider FUN, re-reading all those wonderful old FR articles).

Thanks Feraer, and everyone else who has been so helpful.

Edit: There were two small hamlets (thorps?) in And Wringing of Hands in the book Realms of Infamy, but neither was named. They were supposedly near each other, but other then that, there's no info - no-one knows if there was ever a name for them, eh?

There was also a bunch of burned villages between Cormyr and Sembia along the coast in one of the Dungeon adventures - I should see if I could 'pester' Ed for names for those.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jul 2009 16:20:18
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  17:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did I give you similar bits from my notes on the Thunder Peaks?

I don't think all the Dungeon articles by non-regular freelancers should automatically be taken as Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  20:18:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can make 'em work.

I'm even tryng to fit in the stuff from Nightmare Keep... no easy task, I can assure you.

If it appeared in an official TSR/WotC/Hasbro product, then I will try to make it all work, so long as it pertains to the Realms.

For instance, that village furthest west on the map I posted coincides nicely with Dawngleam... and it also fits perfectly with the lore of that place (a build-up of Cormyrian military there). After nearly being destroyed by a pirate raid, Azoun ordered a major fortification of the place, including new docks and several ships assigned to it's new naval base. Rather then going against canon, the adventure plays into the canon perfectly.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Did I give you similar bits from my notes on the Thunder Peaks?
When I'm done with the preliminary version of the Atlas, I will be looking for whatever lore I happen to be missing as part of a community project - the Thunderpeaks are a VERY busy place and I already have quite a bit on them.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jul 2009 20:25:50
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  11:36:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rosemary Jones's short story in Realms of the Dragons II is set in a small Sembian community - though I do not recall it's name, and since my books are at a different house than me...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2009 :  16:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Halfknot" I believe...but I“m not 100% sure.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  03:29:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if anyone has the tome, I'd appreciate any sort of placement, and whatever text described it, along with the page number.

I really need to get the rest of those "Realms of..." books... I think I only have three or four.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  04:33:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- Halfknot is indeed the name of the "small town" as it is described [pg. 22]

- 'Thas "a mixed population of humans, dwarves, and gnomes" [pg. 22]

I don't specifically recall the exact location of the town being noted in the story. And a quick flick through it now didn't reveal any details either. I suppose you could ask Rosemary herself, as she may have some thoughts on where exactly Halfknot is located.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2012 :  04:55:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No description of the town (Halfnot)? Was it on the coast?

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Dec 2012 06:22:28
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  07:20:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And little in the way of Geography.

I need descriptions of locales; not necessarily the people that live in them.
Ordulin and Selgaunt were sufficiently described in The Twilight War Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp; that is, before the former was annihilated.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  15:17:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They Tilverton'd Ordulin? Why?

Anyhow, I will just place Halfnot in an empty-looking area I guess, unless further info is forthcoming. Going by the official maps, I would say Sembia's coast is either mostly cliffs or there is some danger involved with them (like reefs and sandbars). All that coastline and no towns (the few good ports are all cities). I guess no one goes fishing in Sembia.

Cormyr, on the other hand is LOADED with locales.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  17:27:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ordlin has a Shadow Weave/Spellplague thingy above it that the Shades are trying to recreate the Shadow Weave out of...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  19:57:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They Tilverton'd Ordulin? Why?
A priestess of Shar (not from Shade, for once) read The Leaves of One Night to bring about the Shadowstorm, a preternatural storm that consumes all things. Telamont commanded Rivalen to put a stop to it. That's why most of Sembia was "saved."

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2012 :  19:58:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Ordlin has a Shadow Weave/Spellplague thingy above it that the Shades are trying to recreate the Shadow Weave out of...
Source please?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  02:56:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4E FRCG...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  04:03:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah, yes. Found it, on p. 177. I didn't really read that book from cover to cover, for obvious reasons; just skimmed through most parts.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2012 :  16:55:53  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WOW!

You rock!

When I start to compile the Index for the atlas from my notes, I was going to ask the scribes here for references to every locale in Faerūn (and beyond). During that period, I plan to release a v.1.0 of the Atlas for folks here to go through and make corrections, but also mainly to add to whatever I may have missed. Those sites are EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for!

And that's precisely how I want them presented - a couple of words describing where it's located, and then the source and page numbers.

I was going through all my old Dungeon Mags last night, and found quite a few new ones, but I am missing a bunch of issues with FR lore and I will also be asking the scribes here to go through any they might have to help-out with this. Once I put together a list of the ones I'm missing (that contain FR adventures), I will be posting that request. It will probably be around the same time I release the 1.0 version of the Atlas.

I haven't even begun with the Dragon issues yet, but I'm pretty sure I have all of those, so I can probably do that one on my own (which I consider FUN, re-reading all those wonderful old FR articles).

Thanks Feraer, and everyone else who has been so helpful.

Edit: There were two small hamlets (thorps?) in And Wringing of Hands in the book Realms of Infamy, but neither was named. They were supposedly near each other, but other then that, there's no info - no-one knows if there was ever a name for them, eh?

There was also a bunch of burned villages between Cormyr and Sembia along the coast in one of the Dungeon adventures - I should see if I could 'pester' Ed for names for those.

PM me regarding magazine info, as in which ones you are missing. I have all of them (Dragon and Dungeon) so anything Realmslore related I can help with.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  17:41:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Casts *** Raise Scroll ***

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Here are some lesser-known places in Sembia:

Drelt: hunters’ hamlet, ne of Daerlun (Dragon #282 p. 71)
Ornstar: tiny hamlet, sw of Ordulin (Polyhedron #94 p. 5)
Skultan: gnome village, e of Daerlun (Dragon #269 p. 87)
Yuthgalaunt: village?, between Ordulin and Yhaunn (Cormyr: A Novel p. 142)

Griffonfang Bridge: bridge, e of Daerlun (Polyhedron #94 p. 5)
Old Hazard Hill Farm: monastic Tymoran retreat (Prayers from the Faithful p. 26)

Anyone have access to that issue of Polyhedron (#94)? I need to know if the bridge is over a ravine, or a river (or both).

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  18:57:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might have. Ill check tonight

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  19:00:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dazz

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  19:29:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There have ben bloodied blades at Ornstar (a tiny hamlet southwest of Ordulin), at Griffonfang Bridge on the main road east of Daerlun

That's the extent of the quote. Given that its a main road I'd be tempted to go with a river (although if there isn't one on the map maybe its a small river but we already know only the major rivers are shown

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page