Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running an Aquatic Deep Sea Game!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grumpyoldmage
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  06:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Grumpyoldmage's Homepage Send Grumpyoldmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I was thinking of running a small (3.5) campaign that takes place during the time of the rise of Deep Netheril, and completely as an undersea story arc.

Perhaps players could start playing any of a variety of undersea races such as Aquatic Elves. I'm open for any thoughts as to what elements could be added to such a campaign.

Thanks in advance!

Quote of Karsus - "The Elves started this when they tried to steal the Nether Scrolls. They are a culture of the past, who's idea's are as antiquated as their magic."

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  06:42:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I trust you have the 2E supplement Sea of Fallen Stars? I'm thinking it's pretty much required for your game.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  08:11:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also recommend the companion Wyrmskull Throne adventure module as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  08:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I know there is a 2e specific supplement that I can't remember the exact name, but it also has rules for ship to ship combat as well as additional ships that could be coverted pretty easy. Another general 3.5 supplement for a sea campaign is Stormwrack, but it is mainly only good for adding additonal races and some boats or general campaign ideas that may be of use.

I've always wanted to be in a sea campaign as a pirate or naval officer from Waterdeep or Cormyr, but seems (at least people I played with) could never really hold it together for long. Everyone wanted to be the captain of the boat, but the few times we didn't have that problem we ended up getting destroyed by a random generated storm on the seas or outnumbered and out gunned at sea by pirates (even though we were pirates/privateers ourselves sometimes, which was usually the case sometimes in the real world).

My suggestion would be for running a campaign is (if you're starting out at 1st) is have one be the 2nd in command with an npc captain. Have one be a navigator, the artillery expert/engineer, and the others other officer types as well. Then as time goes on and the group gets to at least respecting each others skills and talents they can bring (and to see who would best lead the crew by the PCs voting the captain if that is possible or just place the best leader type person as 2nd in command that the group trusts not to abuse that position of authority) then have the captain either die off, go missing, etc.

Those would be some of the ideas I would run with if I were to run one. One thing I would recommend, however, is the elements of nature alone will be challenging enough so take it easy on the mid to high level aquadic creatures for a while and just do ship to ship battles. Too many times GMs (again from my personal experience) pit us up against something like Shaugwins (sp?), or other nasty water creatures out the gate and it is just too much even with a fully crewed ship. I say wait until at the very least to start introduction such creatures like 5th, but 3rd at the most extreme if you want to give them an incredible challenge.

Aside from that I have no more advice I can think of at the moment. But I wish you the best of luck in this venture and wish you great success. I know naval campaigns can be a blast if they make it past 1st level!

Edited by - Ghost King on 09 Jun 2009 08:19:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  09:04:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

Well I know there is a 2e specific supplement that I can't remember the exact name, but it also has rules for ship to ship combat as well as additional ships that could be coverted pretty easy.
You're likely thinking of FOR3 Pirates of the Fallen Stars.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  13:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good resource is the 2e generic sourcebook Of Ships and the Sea. Details all of the subsea levels (sunlit, twilight, glood, etc.), plus races and magic along with a new kit for wizards. It formed the basis that Sea of Fallen Stars then modified.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Grumpyoldmage
Acolyte

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  15:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Grumpyoldmage's Homepage Send Grumpyoldmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the great tips on where I can get early sources of information. I was hoping for a free download of the 2E Sea of Fallen Stars since it is an older item, but haven't been able to find such yet.

Quote of Karsus - "The Elves started this when they tried to steal the Nether Scrolls. They are a culture of the past, who's idea's are as antiquated as their magic."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  16:05:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpyoldmage

Thanks everyone for the great tips on where I can get early sources of information. I was hoping for a free download of the 2E Sea of Fallen Stars since it is an older item, but haven't been able to find such yet.

It's not one of the free ones, and unfortunately, there are no longer any options for legally acquiring the pdf.

That was actually one of the first pdfs I got.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  16:34:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpyoldmage

There's some reasonably priced second hand copies over at nobleknight.com, if you're interested Grumpy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000