Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Question about evil plan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  13:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm considering to have a villain who wants to cover the land in ice. But I have a bit of a problem figuring out how she would do that. I suppose I could just make up some kind of ritual, but I would much rather have it anchored in some rule somewhere. My players have a tendency to rule-lawyering and it's fun to make them happy...

Zealot
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  15:31:07  Show Profile Send Zealot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you playing 4E or 3.5? I love the idea of a global threat because its gives the players a chance to play characters from different walks of life. The idea of a story driven reason to stick together is bloody brilliant. In 3.5 it would have been easy, you just blame Auril and what kind of rules lawyer argues with the will of a goddess? As for 4E I am a little out of my depth, I just picked up the new books and am still trying to make sense of them. I'm just a wee bit slow on the uptake. Sorry to ramble.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  15:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play 3.5. The character who wants to accomplish this is indeed a follower of Auril :) But it makes everyone so happy if I find an obscure spell or ritual or item to refer to. If Auril personally is doing this it will be pretty hard to the PCs to stop... I'm not sure if I dare to take on such a long campaign yet.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  15:57:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can figure out a way to get around the fact that it's currently owned and used by a guy living in Chult, you can use the Ring of Winter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lodis Knight
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  16:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Lodis Knight's Homepage Send Lodis Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frostburn's Ice Age spell summons a massive glacier. The Major Icehearts items from the same book generates a zone of eternal winter. Also, the book's Winterhaunt of Iborighu PrC would be a good fit for the villian. I'd modify it a bit to fit the Realms. Iborighu sounds like a cheap knock-off of Auril.

"Troubled times are upon us."
- Cernd, Baldur's Gate II
Go to Top of Page

Zealot
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  18:53:50  Show Profile Send Zealot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about the Ring of Winter, but it could lead to some prequel adventures. The Frostburn book has alot of stuff in it that is absolutely brilliant when it comes to the climate changes. You may consider using the Epic level handbook, they have the system for the development of rituals and Epic level spells. Such a spell or Ritual could be made to fit right into your campaign. I would recommend you refer to the Artifacts guide. I think you may find some kind of Relic that will be able to fit into your campaign premise. Good luck mate, and let me know how it turns out.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Go to Top of Page

Kairin
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  21:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Kairin's Homepage Send Kairin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I borrowed Frostburn. Should have gotten it imminently, it is awesome. Thanks for the Iceheart idea, that will be perfect. Ring of Winter is probably a bit too epic for what I have in mind. Now I just have to figure out a good way to use it so I don't have my players running around with a Major Iceheart, laughing manically :)

And Winterhaunt was lovely too. I wonder if I can change it to apply to an arcane caster, which I had planned my villain to be...
Go to Top of Page

storyweaver
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2009 :  23:57:20  Show Profile  Visit storyweaver's Homepage Send storyweaver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from all of the books out there(which are great resources)why not just make up your own artifact to fit the adventure that you want to play? An unknown ancient artifact lost by the gods, and this evil villian has found this ancient 'key' could be a scroll or an actual key of mysterious origins. It only takes a ritual (which may need components that the players would unknowingly fetch for the evil villian) to unlock the artifact which will blanket emprison the lands and or world in an ice age, at the same time, it could also unleash denizens from a frozen plane on the lands. The artifact could be as simple as a blue crystal orb, or an intricate mechanism resembling a rubic cube? There could also be command words to put the finishing touches on its release of power which would give you time to allow the players to try and stop the artifact from working. Just some helpful ideas.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2009 :  06:33:42  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iyraclea had an epic spell called Cold Claws that created a blizzard over a 20 mile radius for 20 hours and which took a full day to return to normal.

If she had a large number of loyal spellcasting followers she could research a more powerful and wider area version that used additional spellcasting participants (who contribute a spell slot to the casting to reduce the Spellcraft check DC) as a mitigating factor to make the more powerful version castable by her.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  00:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kairin

I borrowed Frostburn. Should have gotten it imminently, it is awesome. Thanks for the Iceheart idea, that will be perfect. Ring of Winter is probably a bit too epic for what I have in mind. Now I just have to figure out a good way to use it so I don't have my players running around with a Major Iceheart, laughing manically :)

And Winterhaunt was lovely too. I wonder if I can change it to apply to an arcane caster, which I had planned my villain to be...

'Fimbulwinter', a 9th level spell in 'Frostburn', covered a surprisingly large area with an effect like this (1 mile radius per level, I think?). I can't recall if it is an arcane spell, though, because I picked it out of a friend's copy (I just needed a 'sudden-winter-in-a-large-area'-type of spell, and I decided that either he cast it directly, or via 'Wish').

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000