Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Gontal: Dominions of Nehu
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  13:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
New Realms article up at Dragon today!

"Gontal: Dominions of Nehu" by Bruce Cordell. Dragon 375 (May 2009): 62-69. 8 pages.

Cheers,

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 22 May 2009 16:17:43

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  15:03:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting. How much of the article is new information? I mean, Bruce just did an article for Dragon last year (in Dragon 366). So what's the update?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  15:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get an Eberron / steampunk vibe from the article blurb.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  15:56:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh... Why include a link that doesn't go to the article?

Here's the actual link: "Gontal: Dominions of Nehu"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  16:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

That's interesting. How much of the article is new information? I mean, Bruce just did an article for Dragon last year (in Dragon 366). So what's the update?

The article in Dragon 366 is by Bruce Cordell and Ed Greenwood, actually, and basically consisted of a "country level" entry that didn't make it into the FRCG for whatever reason. It's more or less the same length and format as the Fimbrul entry in that book.

This piece isn't so much an update as it more details about one particular section--the Glaur Barrens mentioned in the Streetwise and Plots and Adventure Sites sections of the original article. The details take both the form of pure lore (history, NPC descriptions, geographic descriptions) and gaming mechanics stuff (a few monsters, a ritual, etc). I'd say the ratio of lore to mechanics is maybe, what, 80/20? There's also a small map and a couple of illustrations.

Cheers,

Edited by - Christopher_Rowe on 22 May 2009 16:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  16:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read much Eberron material, but it doesn't have a steampunk vibe, at least not in the KW Jeter/Tim Powers way I understand the term.

quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

I get an Eberron / steampunk vibe from the article blurb.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  16:11:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

The article in [i]Dragon[i] 366 is by Bruce Cordell and Ed Greenwood, actually, and basically consisted of a "country level" that didn't make it into the FRCG for whatever reason. It's more or less the same length and format as the Fimbrul entry in that book.

This piece isn't so much an update as it more details about one particular section--the Glaur Barrens mentioned in the Streetwise and Plots and Adventure Sites sections of the original article. The details take both the form of pure lore (history, NPC descriptions, geographic descriptions) and gaming mechanics stuff (a few monsters, a ritual, etc). I'd say the ratio of lore to mechanics is maybe, what, 80/20? There's also a small map and a couple of illustrations.

Cheers,

Thanks, CR. Wanted to get clarification on this information versus the previously released article.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  16:14:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

I've only had time to flick through it briefly. But I like the concept of the anaxims. And they're constructs, which I'm always very partial toward, so that's a plus in my Realms book. Woot!

I'll read the rest tomorrow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  16:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a copy-and-paste slip, there, Wooly--I updated it. Thanks for the catch!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Uh... Why include a link that doesn't go to the article?

Here's the actual link: "Gontal: Dominions of Nehu"

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  17:09:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats NOT an article.

Its an advertisement for a DDi subscription.

As a subscriber, you are probably getting a different webpage.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 May 2009 17:10:37
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  17:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, 'pseudolife'? Sounds like the sci-fi stuff Bruce Cordell tried to slip into the Realms even before the Spellplague.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  18:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I shallow to be turned off by that picture in the link? Sorry, but it just doesn't grab me. :/

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  19:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's quite a good article. It doesn't really have a traditional FR vibe but it very much fits the post-Spellplague version of the Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy
Hmm, 'pseudolife'? Sounds like the sci-fi stuff Bruce Cordell tried to slip into the Realms even before the Spellplague.

It's also consistent with the pre-existent soul stuff that he made up for Bastion of Broken Souls and which inspired Incarnum. I have to admit, I really find he has lost his creative mojo since the early days of 3E (I thought the Sunless Citadel was quite good). He has gone from my favourite adventure writer (The Shattered Circle and the truly wonderful The Gates of Firestorm Peak) to someone whose name makes me wonder whether I will be wasting my time (and how did WotC allow him to write a trilogy of novels involving a character named Kane- surely that is the most overused name in all fantasy, sci-fi and horror novels?).

Regards
NXB

Edited by - Neil Bishop on 22 May 2009 19:26:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000