Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 BG3 in Development!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Five_X
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  01:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Five_X's Homepage Send Five_X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
According to thishttp://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/691433/Atari-To-Revive-90s-Franchises-in-2010-Baldurs-Gate-Test-Drive-And-More.html news post on G4, Atari and Infogrames are working on a new Baldur's Gate. Now, this is really hit or miss, looking at NWN 1/2. Personally, those two games couldn't match up to BG2, but who knows?? I have my fingers crossed.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  02:45:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back when DDO was on its way out, but before it was released, back in the summer of 2005, PC Gamer did a big feature on future D&D games, including NWN 2, and the "just beginning early development" Baldur's Gate 3, which, according to the article, was going to be set in Baldur's Gate's distant past.

Considering they aren't ready to talk details at this point, four years later, I'm not really holding my breath (and for the record, setting it in the distant past of Baldur's Gate really didn't do much for me either).

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  13:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3??

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  14:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Considering they aren't ready to talk details at this point, four years later, I'm not really holding my breath (and for the record, setting it in the distant past of Baldur's Gate really didn't do much for me either).

I agree--on both points. As of now, as far as I'm concerned, it's all talk.

And for what it's worth, Baldur's Gate 2 and it's expansion, Throne of Bhaal, came out in the early 2000s, not the 90s. It's a bit inaccurate to call the BG series a 90s franchise.

EDIT: Just as a note, the linked article is about 5 months old.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 May 2009 14:45:16
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  15:40:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

And for what it's worth, Baldur's Gate 2 and it's expansion, Throne of Bhaal, came out in the early 2000s, not the 90s. It's a bit inaccurate to call the BG series a 90s franchise.

On a side note, BG2 used 2E rules but was built in a way as if to ease us into 3E rules (see Barbarian, Monk and Sorcerer).

Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  23:05:34  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, don't forget Icewind Dale 2.

Infinity Engine, 3rd edition rules, basically. Much more like NWN, but with the Infinity Engine.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  17:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belgarathmth

Also, don't forget Icewind Dale 2.

Infinity Engine, 3rd edition rules, basically. Much more like NWN, but with the Infinity Engine.

That was a fun game for sure.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  02:07:46  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely! Actually I still play BG and IWD series from time to time. It is just so much more complex and well made in comparison to NWN series... and so much more atmospheric due to the Infinity engine compared to 3D...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Misery
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  11:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Misery's Homepage Send Misery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What made the BG series to me were your NPC party members. The fact that in IWD series along with the expansion of NWN 2 - Storm of Zehir, that you made all your own, was a big downfall for me.

Was a great big fan of the BG series through as well as Hordes of the Underdark for NWN 1 and NWN 2 along with it's other expansion Mask of the Betrayer. Great NPC interaction there.

... can I still be a bad A and like kittens?
Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  20:47:13  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Misery, you'd probably enjoy the IWD2 NPC mod available at G3.

It's got fully developed characters with hundreds of interactions and dialogue, just like BG2 and BG NPC Project.

It's really breathed new life into IWD2 for me.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  20:54:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a link to G3?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  22:11:43  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Do you have a link to G3?

...and a description of changes to the game when installing this mod?

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

belgarathmth
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  18:47:56  Show Profile  Visit belgarathmth's Homepage Send belgarathmth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwd2npc/

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  01:55:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misery

What made the BG series to me were your NPC party members.

Looking back, it does seem like the NPC party members and how they are written go a long, long way towards making a game memorable.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  13:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Looking back, it does seem like the NPC party members and how they are written go a long, long way towards making a game memorable.

Oddly enough, despite being quite deeply into a full trilogy playthrough of Baldur's Gate, I can't wait to start on Icewind Dale and make an entire party. Part of that may be indecision over classes, which lead to a fmt, which lead to carrying Jaheira, Imoen, and Khalid.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  05:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember when one of the splash screens in BG2 said that you would be able to port your BG characters to NWN?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  05:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Does anyone remember when one of the splash screens in BG2 said that you would be able to port your BG characters to NWN?

Yep, all the way at the end of Throne of Bhaal. If you want to simulate the same, run a single character through all three parts of NWN, in order.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  22:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yea, I wanted to import my fighter so badly, but the actual "adaption" bummed me out.

On a different note: Atari and Infogrames...no Bioware? That'd suck, cuz the new game will be, maybe, a nod toward BG I und BG II, but if the crew that created the originals ain't a part of it, I'm worried.

Also, they'll probably use 4e as a game system, and if they continue the Bhaalspawn saga after the events of the spellplague...um...good job folks, just the thought makes me wanna vomit

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  23:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

Yea, I wanted to import my fighter so badly, but the actual "adaption" bummed me out.

On a different note: Atari and Infogrames...no Bioware? That'd suck, cuz the new game will be, maybe, a nod toward BG I und BG II, but if the crew that created the originals ain't a part of it, I'm worried.

Also, they'll probably use 4e as a game system, and if they continue the Bhaalspawn saga after the events of the spellplague...um...good job folks, just the thought makes me wanna vomit

Somewhere in the 1390-1420 period might be interesting, though. Also, keep in mind that chronologically, BG is really far out there - the first game takes place in early 1370.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  00:02:17  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Bioware tied up with the Dragon Age trilogy the Mass Effect trilogy and The Old Republic MMORPG, I'm not holding my breath for this, unless Atari are talking to Obsidian, which might be promising.
Go to Top of Page

Misery
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2009 :  12:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Misery's Homepage Send Misery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It really is that way and continues to be so for me. After finding out about the IWD2 mod (thanks for showing me it Belga) I'm excited to give it a try. Simulation roleplay if you will. Might not be AS exciting and enticing as tabletop or atleast with with another human being, but it does what it needs to.

But I've always been a guy more interested on the story and characters/character development then the actual game itself.

... can I still be a bad A and like kittens?
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2009 :  21:23:53  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

On a side note, BG2 used 2E rules but was built in a way as if to ease us into 3E rules (see Barbarian, Monk and Sorcerer).

True. Not juss the storyline, but I think the gameplay in BG2 is the epitome of AD&D gaming. With a few flaws of course, due to 2E restrictions which BG2 made light of (ie--Halflings couldn't be paladins, but here comes Mazzy with her own innate powers!)

But am I the only one who feels that 3E and 3.5E rules were "less than stellar"? And that 4E is kind of....hopeless? (Hopeful, I mean....sigh )
Go to Top of Page

slayer
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  17:08:09  Show Profile Send slayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not holding my breath for this, whoever has the license to the title is taking real careful steps not to sully it (and for good reason). I believe a good tactic to make another successful series is to use the same technique (I.E. a mortal who becomes or challenges powers of the planes through excessive trial and tribulation). In short, another godtale arc would be a good way to go about it, can't really miss if you include all the juicy details, intrigue, and verity that Baldur's Gate had. Plus with all the strange deities and powers (primordials, archdevils, titans, celestials/demons and the many multiple pantheons) it shouldn't be too hard to put another exciting story together that plays well too. But perhaps that isn't the hard part and they're still deciding on a play-perspective in the game on which to base the engine itself (infinity 2.0? :o).

Regardless, I will always watch this closely and if BG3 shows up in any slightly credible news anytime I will likely see or hear about it.

"When you get to hell, tell em I sent ya, you'll get a discount"

Edited by - slayer on 13 Aug 2009 17:09:17
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  18:20:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we're seeing plans for BG3 *now* (instead of 5 years ago) screams "4E marketing desperation" to me. That's all I have to say that's on-topic; I just "untyped" four lines of entirely non-CRPG-related rant (before posting), and I'm trying to avoid ranting.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Sonny
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2009 :  04:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Sonny's Homepage Send Sonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we're seeing plans for BG3 *now* (instead of 5 years ago) screams "4E marketing desperation" to me. That's all I have to say that's on-topic; I just "untyped" four lines of entirely non-CRPG-related rant (before posting), and I'm trying to avoid ranting.

Baldur's gate 3 is something they've been trying to get made for years now. plans were made back in 2004-2005*, but it never materialized. Considering it's Atari's choice on what D&D titles to develop, and they're the ones in need of big name games. I doubt it has anything to do with Fourth Edition marketing.

* Also another Baldur's Gate 3 (The Black Hound) was being developed before that, at Interplay before they lost the rights to use the name. This will make the third attempt to make a BG3.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  14:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would love to see a BG3. but i would be extremely disappointed if they didnt hold up to the first two. infinity engine would be a must, none of that NWN crap. im not a fan of NWN...at all. IWD didnt really do it for me, it was ok, but i was kinda bored with it. IWD2 was better, but not anywhere close to the BG games. BG1 and BG2 are pretty much the perfect games to me so unless it was build like those, i would likely be disappointed. but if they did do it right, thatd be amazing

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  18:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

i would love to see a BG3. but i would be extremely disappointed if they didnt hold up to the first two. infinity engine would be a must, none of that NWN crap. im not a fan of NWN...at all. IWD didnt really do it for me, it was ok, but i was kinda bored with it. IWD2 was better, but not anywhere close to the BG games. BG1 and BG2 are pretty much the perfect games to me so unless it was build like those, i would likely be disappointed. but if they did do it right, thatd be amazing

Regarding the IWD games, would that be because of the fact that they weren't as epic in scope as the BG games??

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  20:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no i found them boring because you were in dungeons/caves the entire time. BG has a well rounded amount of wilderness exploration, towns and cities, and dungeons thrown in here and there. it was just more well rounded. if you got sick of exploring the wild, go to a city and do some thieving and some quests. if you got sick of that, go hunting for a dungeon someplace in the wild. it kept more options open for what you wanted to do. thats how it felt for me anyway. IWD was just dungeons and dungeon-type areas for pretty much the entire game so it got old. get what i mean?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  08:08:10  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

no i found them boring because you were in dungeons/caves the entire time. BG has a well rounded amount of wilderness exploration, towns and cities, and dungeons thrown in here and there. it was just more well rounded. if you got sick of exploring the wild, go to a city and do some thieving and some quests. if you got sick of that, go hunting for a dungeon someplace in the wild. it kept more options open for what you wanted to do. thats how it felt for me anyway. IWD was just dungeons and dungeon-type areas for pretty much the entire game so it got old. get what i mean?

They both used the Infinity Engine, but the BG series spent time making the storyline as awsome as the gameplay, whereas the IWD series focused less on the storyline, and more on hack'n'slash. So two completely different series'.

A few years ago, I was hyped about a BG3. But now upon reflection, how could they make any effective add-on to it? Double that, when you consider that it was already a trilogy (BG1, BG2-SoA and BG2-ToB).

They can't make it any more epic than it was, w/any continuation theme, especially since there are already mods that make you fight ridiculously epic foes like Orcus.

Really, coming from as diehard a BG fan as any other, the best thing would be to juss leave the BG series as is, and make other games w/the same intense storyline and awsome gameplay, while not at all making it a clone of the BG series; much like it appears they've done w/Dragon Age: Origins.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  11:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yuppers....I guess they didn't want your character to freeze to death in IWD

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  11:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yuppers....I guess they didn't want your characters to freeze to death in IWD

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000