Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Too Fast Evermeet Recovery?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  15:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In Evermeet, it is stated that the events in the novel with Kymil happened in 1371 DR. It is also stated that many warriors died in these events, as well as many mages. Yet, barely three years later, they feel secure enough to send an army to help Evereska, and then to go on a crusade to free Myth Drannor. How did they recover so quickly? Or were the losses in Evermeet exaggerated?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  16:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many is a relative term. For a country/nation that has barely seen active combat in decades, or centuries, and thus barely had to count losses a hundred would already be quite many.

"Last Mythal" explicitely states that Amlaruil is against the crusade because of the losses suffered in the disatrous Evereska expedition... IIRC it's not the main armed forces of Evermeet following Severil (so?)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  16:36:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

"Last Mythal" explicitely states that Amlaruil is against the crusade because of the losses suffered in the disatrous Evereska expedition... IIRC it's not the main armed forces of Evermeet following Severil (so?)

Indeed. It was an entirely voluntary force.

And the fey'ri didn't have huge numbers, either, as far as armies go.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  19:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although Rich did try to factor that in, the effects of all RSEs have been glossed, and all the big novel- and rules-driven elven events of the post-1357 DR timeline are massively too fast for the pace at which elves act in the Realms, which is well established by the over five hundred years (Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor p. 8) taken to decide on and carry out the Retreat from Cormanthor. Obviously, having elves act at human (or worse, books department) pace eroded their distinct nature and squandered some the setting's hard-earned credibility and mystique.

Edited by - Faraer on 28 Apr 2009 19:39:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  19:37:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Although Rich did try to factor that in, the effects of all RSEs have been glossed, and all the big novel- and rules-driven elven events of the post-1357 DR timeline are massively too fast for the pace at which elves act in the Realms, which is well established by the over five hundred years (Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor p. 8) taken to decide on and carry out the Retreat from Cormanthor. Obviously, having elves act at human (or worse, books department) pace eroded their distinct nature and squandered some the setting's hard-earned credibility and mystique.

I gotta admit, it did bug me how the Crusade was so soon after the Retreat. Yeah, it was a human generation, but it was about a week, for elves.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  20:20:40  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I gotta admit, it did bug me how the Crusade was so soon after the Retreat. Yeah, it was a human generation, but it was about a week, for elves.

LOL true enough, it was almost like "OK, we've seen Evermeet, got the T-shirt, now let's head back!"

Personally, I didn't and still don't like the reclamation of Myth Drannor, the novels were fine (IMO) but in my Realms that sort of thing won't happen, because it, quite frankly, is silly

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  21:17:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like Myth Drannor being reclaimed, but I see it as being a decades-long process. Even given a couple thousand elves, I think only a small portion would be pacified, initially...

In fact, there was a similar discussion, years ago, before the books came out. I think that the first stage would be securing a small area -- no more than a couple blocks, at most. It'd take some time to even make that secure... And then slowly expanding the areas of control. The best method would prolly be to work in sections, and as each section is claimed, then link them up.

With wild magic, random nastybads, packs of adventurers getting in the way, the opposition of rival groups (like the Zhents or the Cormathan drow) and the fact that some areas of the city were flattened, I think it would take years to claim even a quarter of the city -- and that would be more of an armed camp or outpost than a city. Given numbers and resources, the entire city would eventually be reclaimed -- but that's just cleaning it out. Repairing the mythal, rebuilding everything, and getting civilians settled would take much, much longer.

I don't think Myth Drannor would be an actual city for at least a century. With all due respect to the author, I disregard that bit of the Last Mythal trilogy that implies it's a normal city in just five years' time.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  23:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, the only way that would work is if you viewed it only as structurally a city, so if they had the mose dedicated work crews they could fix all the buildings up in a few years, just there wouldn't be the people to make it a proper city. The five years thing is probably just in there so it could be a city in 4e, though to be fair they do say that large parts of the original city have been reclaimed by the forest in the 4e FRCS.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  04:47:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of Myth Drannor being reclaimed as well... IN-GAME... by characters!!!

Seriously, talk about toasting one of the most interesting adventuring locales.

Myth Drannor should be re-settled... sometime in the far future... along with Ed's "fortold Doom". Having things hanging over PCs heads is cool, having them taken care of by someone else is not.

To be honest, I feel 4e is MUCH LESS a POL setting then it was before (no fallen Cormanthor, no Anauroch, no 'lost Imaskar', etc, etc...)

I remember when the complaint in 1e was that there was too much 'open space'; now you can't walk a mile without tripping over some 'returned' long-lost kingdom.

What ruins? They're all occupied again.

Anyhow, I picture the Retreat going something like this....

ElfLord: "Okay, everyone back onto the ships... we're heading back to the manland..."

Elf Crowd: "WHAT?! But we just got here!"

I'm glad that's a series I haven't read, and never intend to (along with the Archwizards one - some pages are better-left unturned).

Then again, maybe in a couple of years when I'm desperate and 'jonesin' from some 3e FR lore.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2009 16:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  05:28:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

ElfLord: "Okay, everyone back onto the ships... we're heading back to the manland..."

Elf Crowd: "WHAT?! But we just got here!"

You forgot the Elflord response to that:

"It is a silly place."

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  07:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Therefore, let's go search for the Holy Grail instead!"

I'm not sure. Even if the losses themselves weren't many dead, I understood many Priests and Mages died. Admittedly, most of the Mages would have been High Magi, magic which doesn't work outside Evermeet, but you'd still think they'd have some problem with finding mages and priests.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  16:47:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem was a severe lack of communication within the novel dept. - at least two authors tried to use The Year of Risen Elfkin (and I got that straight from an author), and there was a bit of a log-jam in the timeline. We even had Kaanyr Vhok and his Tanarukks doing something similar - immediately marching off to war again right after suffering a defeat elsewhere.

It sort-of became fashionable for the author's to lay claim to the year names (a rant for another time), so we had everyone rushing to use the Elves all at once.

Which is the real reason why we got the century time-jump; to give the author's 'elbow room' to write in.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2009 16:47:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  17:07:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The problem was a severe lack of communication within the novel dept. - at least two authors tried to use The Year of Risen Elfkin (and I got that straight from an author), and there was a bit of a log-jam in the timeline. We even had Kaanyr Vhok and his Tanarukks doing something similar - immediately marching off to war again right after suffering a defeat elsewhere.

It sort-of became fashionable for the author's to lay claim to the year names (a rant for another time), so we had everyone rushing to use the Elves all at once.

Which is the real reason why we got the century time-jump; to give the author's 'elbow room' to write in.

And this also shows a poor understanding of the setting, since it's been long established that year names don't necessarily refer to anything major.

I speculated a while back that the Year of Risen Elfkin could refer to nothing more than the birth of, or rise to local prominence (as in, a town or city) of a single half-elf.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Apr 2009 17:09:09
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  17:21:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

And this also shows a poor understanding of the setting, since it's been long established that year names don't necessarily refer to anything major.

I speculated a while back that the Year of Risen Elfkin could refer to nothing more than the birth of, or rise to local prominence (as in, a town or city) of a single half-elf.

Hmmm... Year of the Risen Elfkin, same year that the Shadowdale:SotD takes place and a certain half-elven ranger finds the Warblade?

Coincidence? Probably.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  18:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What other authors tried to claim it? Unless the whole Drow thing counts?

Edited by - Menelvagor on 29 Apr 2009 19:08:22
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  18:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, do people think it would have been a better event if they did something like the Avatar project and release adventure modules that tied into the storyline?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  18:54:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure. Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land tied in loosely to the Crusade, since your actions (supposedly) have an impact on the outcome. Granted the impact is simply the length of time it takes for the elves succeed, but still...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  19:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, by the way, Ashe: maybe the Year of Risen Elfkin refers to an Avariel wizard finding the Artblade, and then trading it with Syrumstar Auglamyr for her Choker and a few *ahem* favors...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  20:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Just wondering, do people think it would have been a better event if they did something like the Avatar project and release adventure modules that tied into the storyline?
Modules putting PCs on the periphery of NPCs doing stuff to other NPCs in Myth Drannor would have been as misconceived as the FRE series (and far less worthwhile without those adventures' Realmslore). Modules that really facilitated PCs responding to the opening up of the Inner Sea lands after the elven Retreat would have softened the harm of TSR and Wizards ignoring then reversing that thematic hook (the biggest in the original published Realms) and turning over the remains to their grim RSE treadmill -- but that would be a whole other approach to the Realms than the ones we've had.

The year-names aren't supposed to refer to anything definitively!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  21:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is why they probably refer to the event I mentioned. Or the event Ashe mentioned. Or The Creconquering of Myth Drannor. Or the War o fthe SPider Queen...
You get the point.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  15:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right, I totally agree with this. As I (and others) have said before, if Myth Drannor was ever to be reclaimed by elves (or just about any other creature) it should have taken much longer than it did, and it should have been more problematic as well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  17:03:33  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMG, I retconned it, saying that the Crusade was begun by survivors of the initial battles, within a decade of the fall of the City of Song. Thus, the Crusade was some 500 years in the planning; that the planning/weapontake/training/muster was all on Evermeet gave the lie to 'The Retreat'- many of the elves who 'Retreated' were in fact mustering on Evermeet in preparation for the retaking of M.D., so one stone>2 birds

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  18:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a really good idea, actualy. It would explain why Evermeet suddenly had a king, and this king was Zaor - a survivor of Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  18:34:46  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

That's a really good idea, actualy. It would explain why Evermeet suddenly had a king, and this king was Zaor - a survivor of Myth Drannor.

You could take it in that direction: but Zaor was 'chosen' via the Moonblade process, rather than by blood or acclaim. I actually prefer your idea, but it's WAY off-canon.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  21:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it off-canon?

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  22:31:54  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why is it off-canon?

B/c Zaor (and thus the house Moonflower) was chosen as 'High King' via the Moonblade process- not because he was a popular survivor of the fall of Myth Drannor- Which is what you seemed to be suggesting- but then I could have just misunderstood your idea, as well... I'm known for being easily confused.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  06:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... it could go both ways. it could be that the Moonblades chose him because he was a survivor of Myth Drannor, and so forth. But he also had much support from the people - because he was a hero, but also maybe because he was from Myth Drannor.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  07:18:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well... it could go both ways. it could be that the Moonblades chose him because he was a survivor of Myth Drannor, and so forth. But he also had much support from the people - because he was a hero, but also maybe because he was from Myth Drannor.

I don't see survival as being all that wonderful a trait... A lot of elves didn't die in Myth Drannor. Only one became king.

And all the moonblades didn't choose him -- only one did. The rest were held by other members of his family. And the gig was, the family with the most moonblades.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  08:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but the point was, a Moonblade being worthy to be a king's blade. Zaor had that one, which was kind of what led to the whole choose a king thing.
Admittedly, it's rather weak, but that's why we said it was rather off-canon.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  16:08:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Menelvagor on this one (not that it is canon - just my preference is all).

I can definately see the Moonblades tied into 'Elven destiny', and the one survivor who was able to weild the King's Blade would be the "chosen One' to rebuild the Elves strength and return them to the mainland.

Then we had all that unpleasantness, but fate is not so easily thwarted, and the destiny switched to Amluiral (after Zoar had been rebuilding the Elven Military for years and years).

Ergo, even though Zoar died, he stilled fulfilled his destiny (through Amluiral), since he was the one in-charge through most of the 'rebuilding era'.

It works for me.

When WotC hands us lemons, we should make Lemonade.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 May 2009 16:10:14
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  17:50:16  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This actually ties in neatly with what I'm using IMG (stated above)- if the Crusade really began within a decade or two of the fall of Myth Drannor, then it makes sense that the individual who was most inclined (and best suited) to the task of marshalling the might of the Elves (i.e. Zaor) would also be the one 'destined' to become king, via the 'Moonblade process'.
So, it looks like this then: Myth Drannor falls- many escape the sack of the city, scattering across the face of Faerun. Many of the survivors flee to Evereska or the Elven Court, but a group of (mainly) Moon and a few Sun elf nobles and High Magi head to Evermeet, convinced that the fall of Myth Drannor is only prologue to an even greater attack on the Tel'Qessir, and that Evermeet must be protected. Their leader is a charismatic young moon-elven noble, and wielder of his family's Moonblade, named Zaor. Within a few decades, this group divides its responsibilities: Zaor (I have no clue when he was crowned) becomes king (?) and concentrates on the defense of Evermeet; should the Crusade fail, Evermeet must not fall- and a second group begins laying plans and gathering support for the eventual retaking of the City of Song. Among the other races on the mainland, over the next 4 centuries, there is talk of 'the Retreat', noting how so very many elves have fled Faerun to Evermeet, and these other races suppose that eventually, the elves will abandon the mainland altogether. In reality, of course, these elves are answering the call of either Zaor (to defend Evermeet) or the Crusade (gathering in Evermeet in preparation for the retaking of Myth Drannor).
Then, as the plan was ready to set in motion, a group of elitist Sun Elves (IMG, the Eldreth Veluthraa, who again, IMG, are under the direction of Malkizid) assassinate Zaor, believing that it is his intent to place one of his children on the Throne of Cormanthor as Coronal of Myth Drannor (or one of his children on the throne of Evermeet, and to take the Crownblade for himself- either one works), a position which they see as belonging to Sun elves. This delays the Crusade by a half-century, while these traitors are smoked out and dealt with, and introduces other complications regarding Amlauril's children and attacks on Evermeet itself, prompting Amlauril to take action not forseen by Zaor.

How's that sound for a start? I know I left out a lot, but that sounds decent to me for a start at a comprehensive retcon. I'm AFB, so I don't know just when Zaor was crowned, or even if he was a survivor of Myth Drannor, but I like the sound of it. This begs a question or 3- when/where/how did Zaor and Amlauril meet? When were they married? How old is their eldest child?

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 01 May 2009 18:43:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000