Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster, Orbakh and Reddansyr Village
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Glaurach
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Glaurach's Homepage Send Glaurach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi scribes,

I found an interesting tibit in the Elminster entry of wikipedia. - "Elminster is currently secretly helping a small group of adventurers near Westgate at the Reddansyr Village, investigating the destiny of the clone of Manshoon, and unmasking the real leader of NightMasks of Westgate, the Night King known as "The Faceless" (the Manshoon clone, now know as Orbakh), three years after the Manshoon Wars in the year of 1373 DR."

Does anyone know the official reference of this event? I searched some books, but I did not find it.

Thanks for any reply.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:04:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with Wikipedia is that I have found many times people add events from their own campaigns into the entry.

So take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: The 4e LFR DMs (and players) use the Wiki... which leads me to believe that may be a current LFR plothook (although I would think using Elminster would be one of their no-no's, since WotC is avoiding ANY details about the man at this time).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2017 16:14:29
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:18:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention that it's pre-Spellplague.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:21:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack!

I didn't even notice the date... I assumed it was 'current' (which technically means 4e, unfortunately).

My bad.

Still, that sounds an awful lot like homebrew to me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:26:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three years after 1373 is 1376 -- and 3E basically stopped in 1375. Since 4E picked up much after that, I'm thinking this factoid is not a canon one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:32:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, to top it off the non-canonical aspect, prior to the Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land adventure (1375 DR), it's told that Elminster disappears as his Tower is blasted into another plane. It's been my understanding, at least, that he's not available to the Realms for a good period after that (3-5 years).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I'm familiar with the reference, but I think that it's dated in 1373 DR, not 1376 DR. The Manshoon Wars were in 1370 and three years after that would be in 1373 DR, as the blurb correctly states.

On the other hand, I'd be very interested in knowing if Elminster and the Harpers have any idea about the real identity of the leader of the Night Masks in 1373 DR. I ask because my players just found out and what they do about will depend to a large degree on how many others know about it.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  00:44:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall seeing anything like this in canon material. And I've got most of the "Manshoon clone" stuff compiled into a handy reference file.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2017 :  13:01:02  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was from a geocities page that some here on the Keep thought quite highly of. Can't access said page any more so the information that was on it has been lost unless somebody archived it.

Sorry for the thread necromancy but here's hoping *crosses fingers*

Original link: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-elwhere.htm

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2017 :  13:40:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

And, to top it off the non-canonical aspect, prior to the Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land adventure (1375 DR), it's told that Elminster disappears as his Tower is blasted into another plane. It's been my understanding, at least, that he's not available to the Realms for a good period after that (3-5 years).

Hmmm, I had not realized that piece. Do we actually have anything that says he was back prior to the spellplague? I know he was affected by the spellplague, but with his special ties to the weave I would think that it would affect him whether he was physically in the realmspace crystal sphere or not. It would be interesting though if a lot of what happened was because Elminster and others were forcibly removed from the path.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2017 :  16:16:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since 'Reddanyser' is in the title of the thread, maybe someone is interested in actually using my new Five Shires conversion?

Mind you, it had to be shoved around a bit to make everything work.

As for Elminster, that's not the same event that sent him to hell, is it? That had to do with the RotAW series, right?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2017 :  00:58:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree that this is someone's home-brew. I've ready everything I could about the Manshoon Wars (I thought it was the best plot twist we were given in that period bar none) and there is not a word published that I know of that would confirm this account.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2017 :  01:43:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since 'Reddanyser' is in the title of the thread, maybe someone is interested in actually using my new Five Shires conversion?

Mind you, it had to be shoved around a bit to make everything work.

As for Elminster, that's not the same event that sent him to hell, is it? That had to do with the RotAW series, right?

Hmmm, yeah, I'm forgetting... was that what sent him to hell? Its kind of odd if that's the case... Elminster sent to hell just prior to the spellplague, then right after the spellplague Azuth lands there to be absorbed by Asmodeus... almost like they planned on having Elminster get absorbed instead of Azuth or something and changed their minds.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2017 :  04:13:23  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Original link: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-elwhere.htm

If that is where it originated, then it's definitely something said by Ed; those pages were direct quotes from the authors.

Unfortunately, there's nothing on the Wayback Machine for it, and I never kept any of the original materials past the death of that particular computer.

Asking Ed himself would seem to be the best bet at this point.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2017 :  11:24:06  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks AJA. I'll drop him a line.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000