Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Forgotten Realms MMO
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  21:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to hear everyones thoughts and opinions on a Realms MMO.If the developer could take fans comments and decide on them. What would it include ...races,deities,regions,and other things of that nature? Just curious

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  23:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be really good to see happen, though its probably the least likely due to sheer size, unless they only used a single region. I was just reading through the old first edition setting with the comparison of Western Faerun being about 5/6 times bigger than the USA.

It'd probably have to be pre-4e as an MMO needs to have interesting back story, which the Realms had until the Spellplague. Otherwise they should throw in as much FR material as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  23:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ironic thing is that 4e (as a rules set) is more adaptable (IMO) to a computer game (MMO or otherwise), but with the flavor of the 4e Realms I would never consider playing an MMO set there.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  01:57:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

The ironic thing is that 4e (as a rules set) is more adaptable (IMO) to a computer game (MMO or otherwise), but with the flavor of the 4e Realms I would never consider playing an MMO set there.

I concur. Besides, one MMO at a time is enough for me. I've been quite active in Lord of the Rings Online since Christmas, and it's the most fun I've had in an MMO.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  08:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

These things you say? They are all true.

I really miss 3.5....and I think it's best suited for a MMO.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  10:09:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is probably a stupid question, but what is a MMO?
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  10:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, did anyone play D&D Online, which I believe is Eberron, and know how they did the mechanics in that?
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  12:00:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dedicated FR MMO that is properly monitored and fully canon (in whichever era) I would LOVE to play in.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  12:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

No worries Jorkens, an MMO is a game where you have a single persistent world populated by a large number of players, such as World of Warcraft or Lord of the Rings Online.

Not to be confused with the persistent world servers they use in games like Neverwinter Nights, which are similar but lack the large player count and game world or Guild Wars, which is essentially a 3D version of a system similar to Blizzard's Battlen.net
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  14:32:24  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

No worries Jorkens, an MMO is a game where you have a single persistent world populated by a large number of players, such as World of Warcraft or Lord of the Rings Online.

Not to be confused with the persistent world servers they use in games like Neverwinter Nights, which are similar but lack the large player count and game world or Guild Wars, which is essentially a 3D version of a system similar to Blizzard's Battlen.net

Thanks. Even as outdated as I am, I should have known that one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  14:47:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Just wondering, did anyone play D&D Online, which I believe is Eberron, and know how they did the mechanics in that?

Not I. I heard it wasn't a bad game, just that it was lacking in content.

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  19:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I concur. Besides, one MMO at a time is enough for me. I've been quite active in Lord of the Rings Online since Christmas, and it's the most fun I've had in an MMO.

Lord of the rings online is a pretty good game, but the landscape has been downsized. Why couldn't they make a full faerun map but just not make it overly huge...that would solve the problem.Or they could make expansions opening new areas like lotro did...it might actually work, and make the game more manageable.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  20:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it would probably only work along the lines of making Cormyr for example, about 20 miles across.
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  07:37:59  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's a bit dated now but wouldn't the many FR Neverwinter Nights Persistent World servers running count as a 'Realms MMO'?

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  09:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you were able to move freely from one to another and there were thousands playing then it could be, but I don't think the NWN architecture allows it.

Also there seems to be a definition split between thousands pre server and thousands in the game, regardless of server.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  15:25:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering the 4e illustrations I have seen so far (especially the dwarfes!!!) in 4e rule books, there is almost no difference to WoW's style, so why bother about launching 4e FR-MMO?
Would be a visual redundancy...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  15:29:27  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

A dedicated FR MMO that is properly monitored and fully canon (in whichever era) I would LOVE to play in.

This would be fatal for my social life and job...
But that would require much more perfectionism and investment and monitoring than you can possibly expect from a comercial company who wants to earn as much as possible with as little development and operations cost as possible...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  15:30:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Considering the 4e illustrations I have seen so far (especially the dwarfes!!!) in 4e rule books, there is almost no difference to WoW's style, so why bother about launching 4e FR-MMO?
Would be a visual redundancy...

Not only that, but many people -- myself included -- feel that the 4E rules are nothing more than a pen-and-paper version of an MMO.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  16:19:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
[Not only that, but many people -- myself included -- feel that the 4E rules are nothing more than a pen-and-paper version of an MMO.

I am always open to change and not everything about 4e ist bad, but if there is something that I can really not stand is the FR being pulled close to WoW in terms of aesthetics! The dwarfes looks as if they where put into space-can suits and I am still angry about the explanaition I read regarding why Halflings live in Swamps now which was kinda "woods and dales are already ocupied, so we put 'em in the swamps". Great.
Plus their illustrations look like fighters, just smaller. No halfling style anymore...

Ok, enough of the ranting....

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  17:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironically, when I first read 4e the first thing I though about was WOW, not as in 'oh that's amazing' wow, due to the similarity in how powers work.

Artistically it would need to be gritty and real, maybe a bit more than how they did it for the LotR films.

I might use the idea for some uni work next year, seeing as we've gotta start working towards making a game. Though an MMO would have content requirements on a massive level, far more than a small team can generate.

Edited by - Tyr on 17 Apr 2009 17:47:12
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd absolutely love to explore the Realms in a MMO. More importantly I'd love to do so with my friends here at Candlekeep. Now how cool would that be!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:25:40  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'd absolutely love to explore the Realms in a MMO. More importantly I'd love to do so with my friends here at Candlekeep. Now how cool would that be!

Plus there are probably few scenarios with that many very dedicated fans. Thus would make the realms very much alive.

-

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Man, this is totally wrong."
"Yeah. I mean, really! Her eyes are supposed to be blue."
"And her bosom is not nearly as ample as described in the novels..."

Sometimes knowledge is a dangerous weapon, my friends. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:29:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

"Man, this is totally wrong."
"Yeah. I mean, really! Her eyes are supposed to be blue."

That was my thought as well. We could probably set a new record in grumbling and disagreeing with something like this. And I would probably be the worst of us all.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  18:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always do the old Star Trek panel thing, to ensure continuity. Of course it would have to be a non-WotC panel, just to ensure continuity.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  21:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not into MMOs, so if such a game did come out I'd be unlikely to play it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  01:42:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll second this. Adventuring with some of the scribes here at Candlekeep through a Realms MMO is something I've thought about before.

Though, I get the feeling we'd all end up probably talking more in some tavern of Waterdeep, than we would questing across virtual Faerūn.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  02:21:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'll second this. Adventuring with some of the scribes here at Candlekeep through a Realms MMO is something I've thought about before.

Though, I get the feeling we'd all end up probably talking more in some tavern of Waterdeep, than we would questing across virtual Faerūn.

Count me in as well! How fun would it be to gather a group of a robes and Sagify the realms?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  09:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well just did some looking around and it seems nobody has actually tried to make a FR conversion for another game, just a lot of NWN adventures, which is wierd.

Will have to rectify that at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2009 :  22:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah. I mean, really! Her eyes are supposed to be blue."

Regardless of what disagreements you would have from this...it would do wonders for gamers and Forgotten Realms as a whole...maybe a good director would see the success of the game, call up Salvatore(or any other author) ,and offer to organize a movie using the author as a basis of knowledge. This could also be used for the game...because if the author that made up the character in the first place created the character in the game...you couldn't say much regarding their "ample bosoms" or things of that nature, because it is strait from the view point of the author.

Edited by - Dantrag on 18 Apr 2009 22:23:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  23:16:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

quote:
Yeah. I mean, really! Her eyes are supposed to be blue."

Regardless of what disagreements you would have from this...it would do wonders for gamers and Forgotten Realms as a whole...maybe a good director would see the success of the game, call up Salvatore(or any other author) ,and offer to organize a movie using the author as a basis of knowledge. This could also be used for the game...because if the author that made up the character in the first place created the character in the game...you couldn't say much regarding their "ample bosoms" or things of that nature, because it is strait from the view point of the author.

D&D Online didn't do wonders for gamers -- and that was for everyone, not just a subset of D&D players like we are. So I don't see a setting-specific MMO doing all that much for the game as a whole.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000