Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Playing with strange characters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  15:06:15  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm,I don't know if I would want to play a Paladin Squirrel but
it is very interesting.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  21:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can play a squarel paladin but my psionic parrot is cooler I think I will use it in my campaign

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  03:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at the moment, my characters run more towards wizards, but for some reason, I have the strangest feeling that wizards getting turned into animals has been done before . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  05:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a friend that played a minotaur that dual-weilded two great mauls one had slight magical abilities the other was the same except the fact that it was smarter than he. You would hear the minotaurs grunty voice. Me want ale me pay. then you would here a british type voice speaking from the face in the head of the maul. You insufferable twit i wish you would use proper common, good bar keep if you could give my small-brained owner an actual barrel of ale. It was quite and experience.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  05:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, now that sounds . . . interesting. Hmm. I wonder . . . . It's given me an idea for a new item. Was this a player-created weapon, and would I be able to look at the stats? I'd rather not copy something that someone has already done. (I've had moments of disapointment when I find that Wizards has already release items that overlap things I think of . . . .)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  06:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a player created weapon and i will ask my friend for the stats.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2003 :  03:17:31  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You people are SSSSOOOOOO lucky and you don't even realize it... You seem to have fun and good games... My gaming group while fun is well... The DM thought it fit that we be banned from several towns in the campaign world. Two of us have bounties on our heads, You learn to only count on aid from the others if you have something suitable to trade in exchange for services (I.E. Killing a monster, saving one's butt, back-up when one of the many inner party fights break out, etc). I've been stabbed, drown, chased, bludgeoned and burned.. oh, and thrown against a ceiling... all this from my party no less... That squrrel you mentioned, I agree, GREAT gaming idea, Awesome character playing... but alas in my such group... he'd be dinner... Or atlease a midday snack... Buncha sodding mercs...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2003 :  03:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you need to DM a game and show them what way the game needs to go.

Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2003 :  10:06:22  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*lol* I don't mind I wasn't intending on marrying the squirrel paladin I have my eyes set on a better mate, one thats an elf. ^_~

But about eatting the squirrel I don't know he's a pretty scary little fellow, He has a bad habit of surviveing even when the DM got on his lets see what happens if we do this...kick.

I can honestly say that I would be appalled if you at my squirrel friend! lol.

I may lock myself up in Mithril Hall and never see the light of day, of course there are sooo many dwarves in there...@_@

Never mind, I think somewhere in the north in an Igloo, though no matter where I run adventure finds me.

I can't even eat dinner with out having trouble,or die but thats another story for another time.

Something about Get up get up your jobs not yet done.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2003 :  17:43:41  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You needn't worry your precious little head about it.. Most of the party is currently doing umm 'time' as it was, in the abyss.. Appearently we ruined a rather sweet soul exchange that one marilith was looking forward to doing... That's fine by us... we atleast fit in... plus it keeps the several metallic dragons we angered from finding us.... As for the DM with the exception of myself, the party has VERY good luck when it comes to rolls... bad luck in decisions... after all your supposed to USE oil of etherealness not drink it...... he when ethereal from the inside out.... and had a nasty case of the ethereal squirts

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2003 :  23:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did u have any strange human characters or what comes into mind that seem enaugh strange?

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  12:11:36  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

My latest 'two-week' planes campaign players have just drawn up their own PC's. The party consists of 4 characters - a yugoloth (Arcanaloth), a draconian (modified from DL), a Kaorti (FF), and a member of the Mechalus race (converted to D&D stats).

Interesting no?.

My character isn't that weird but I'll give it a go anywho.
It is a drow monk of lawful evil...
now you may say "How is that weird in the slightest?"
Well...Drow usually despise melee combat, do they not?

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  13:28:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some instances. Perhaps you could provide us with more detail?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  18:08:57  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sage,give us some specifics.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  02:41:13  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

In some instances. Perhaps you could provide us with more detail?.

I'm sorry, was this in response to my writing in this scroll?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  02:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is.(speaking on the Sage's behalf here.)
Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  03:02:33  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Ok then...
For what kind of details/specifics would he be looking?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  03:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, what would you be willing to give?
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  03:19:55  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SanguineDefect

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Ok then...
For what kind of details/specifics would he be looking?

Give us some stats and history,anything else you want to add or tell us that you feel is unique.

Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  03:43:43  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly enough the character stats are not allowed to be in the possession of the players (for reasons that have not been explained to me as of yet), but in the possession of the dm. Since I do not have the stats accurately memorized, I don't think I'm at liberty to do my character justice in rattling off his stats.

But I can give his first name (house name and surname still undecided), which is "Bayne", an exotic form of the word "Bane". Yes, yes, a bit n00by, but again that is to be expected from a n00b, right? Anyhow, I could give you the stats I know, though I do not know any of my modifiers. Also, my history is a little vague, but I do know this for certain: I was in a raiding party when I first encountered the surface world, and was taken capture...I was sold into slavery until freed by a group of kindhearted monks (who were much more powerful than I,{no it was not Cuthbert!} and taught me their ways, therefore I chose to become a monk. I do not know much of the history because I rushed into this game headfirst (Now where's the fun in not building the history) but oh well, eh?

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  04:27:08  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess,mostly I was at least looking for what made your character strange,for the most part he seems normal so far.

Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  04:29:03  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by William of Waterdeep

I guess,mostly I was at least looking for what made your character strange,for the most part he seems normal so far.

I guess he does...it's just the class that makes him strange to me...meh

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  04:41:24  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess being a monk is different for a drow, but maybe I don't think of it as strange because I have heard of it before.I haven't used it myself but know of others doing so.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  11:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heve never heard a drow monk before. How can a drow be trained as a monk in Underdark especialy in a drow city.Does new eddition of Underdark have schools that trains monk in their cities? If there are not how can a drow be trained as a monk? What is the chance of a drow to be born on the surface? Maybe some adventurers would earn respect in drow society teachs lads but this would be unique I
think. Maybe a drow who was on surface for some reason for a longtime returns a drow city after he gains a few levels of monk, he could train as well. No levels of fighter means that he never learned anything about fighting with swords, that fella cannot survive in underdark alone so he cannot escape drow city alone. Yes he can escape with a monk prisoner rescued by his fellow friends and maybe monk takes the lad hostage to retrieve a lost artifact they are seeking, then he can despise the system of drow society. That made sense they leave underdark, drow learns how to be a monk but if there are mages and fighters in the group he tend to learn those but if party only has monks that would work but why are they departed the drows seeking the kid find them on surface and decide not to negotiate. Our fellow drow escapes from both brutal drows he hated and his captives. Why a monk teaches a drow lad? Maybe he insisted a lot and learned more than expected and monk start to like him.Everything is possible yeah.

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Lolth slayer
Acolyte

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2003 :  16:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Lolth slayer's Homepage Send Lolth slayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure there's mention in one of my dusty old 3e tomes of an elite school of drow monks who serve Lolth. (can't remember for the life of me which one it is!)

I think the concept of a drow monk is a very frightening one indeed.

If i can find it I'll post it back here.

I demand a recount! my contestant is a dope fiend!-
-Ahfera Derunadel, Gold elf mage after losing a magedual against a Red Wizard-

We can't stop here! This is Bat country!
-Raul Duke-

Edited by - Lolth slayer on 10 Dec 2003 16:40:06
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  13:06:42  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
indeed, there is a drow monk order, followers of Lolth. there is two lines about them in Dark Lords book, but nothing more, i think.
they say they are pretty much faired by others, since they don't have any relation with merchant families and totally under the control of the only Lolth.
don't remember anything else about them.

but its true that the concept is quite interesting and even exciting, so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2003 :  13:10:26  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
did anyone play an intelligent beast?
i would like to listen to the resuling feelings...
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my previous game a player was a a fey'ri fighter sorcerer with neu/evil alg she was playing very well.
The group rescuqed her from drow in underdark when they were 8th level after that the cleric in the group he was a mage/cleric(1st level cleirc) secretly worshiping shar created a very good alignence with her
It was a very amazing game,I sometimes even found my self in trouble becouse of unexpected events which they caused

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2003 :  06:12:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...in my upcoming 'Ruins of Delhumide' adventure, a player in my group has chosen to use a Fey'ri as her chosen PC race. Since I've never had this race used in my games before I would appreciate some input on how well it worked, and whether there where any problems?.

Can you tell me about it Jander?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2003 :  21:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage the most important problem was her neverending evil schemes.
Since she looked like a beautiful gold elf maiden, she wasn't attracting too much attention. However she killed a group member in the very first game and She heven't liked elves, that sometimes troubled the party and she convinced a mage in the party (wielder of shadow wieve),he wasn't apparently strong enough, to summon a demon and after the unfortunate death of the mage she and the demon made a pact of some sort. Till the heroic party discovered her true nature and schemes she fled and continued the game as a npc for a while.the others killed the demon and show went on.
Her attitudes were like Elaith's, but she was less loyal to her word.
I m not a master dm thus I cannot know how approprate her role play was for a fey'ri but I was annoyed with the arguments between the group members whining about how they didin't trust each other.But I liked the intrigue and suspision in the party

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000