Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Search for Randal Morn - Discussion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  07:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would anybody here be interested in a play-by-post (messageboard) game?

Any preference of system edition (1st, 2nd, 3.5 ... 4e?)

Any preference on the DR year?

Any preferred geographic region?

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *

Edited by - Barshevy on 14 Apr 2009 14:46:58

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  08:41:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be. :) Just not for 4e... but any of the 1/2/3/3.5e rules are fine with me. Prefer anything prespellplague..... Otherwise, I don't have any other opinions. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  08:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if we went waaaay old-school : 1st edition, Gray Box, pre-Time of Troubles? Any interest there, folks?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  16:53:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, I'm good for anything as I said above except for 4e and post spellplague. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  17:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody else interested?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  17:40:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly. It's been a loooooong time since I've played 1st edition. Let me check out what I have and I'll let you know later this evening.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2009 :  19:34:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, I'd be interested, though I'm not entirely sure I have 1e game material (ie: PHB/DMG, I have the FR stuff). I grew up on 2e, though, so something old would be fun for me.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  01:49:37  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps 1e is too inaccessible (though the free retro-clone PDF called OSRIC is all a player would need.)

How would Ashe feel about 2e?

Edited by - Barshevy on 10 Apr 2009 01:50:19
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  03:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd prefer 2e for the mechanics, regardless of when you set the date. But that's partly because I'm such a big fan of kits.

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  05:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of campaign world, I'm thinking about something as close as possible to Ed's original Realms. So no Matzica, Al-Qadim or Kara-Tur. Maybe no Moonshaes. Of course, this would have no impact on the game unless you guys wanted to create PCs from those areas. And even then, we can say they exist as other worlds, reachable by dimension gates.

Edited by - Barshevy on 10 Apr 2009 05:14:42
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  05:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, please let me know which regions would you like to play in. The "central" Realms from the Sword Coast to the western Sea of Fallen Stars? Or somewhere more exotic, that you've never gotten a chance to experience in previous games.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  09:51:50  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey a bit late chipping in, but i'd be up for it. Say 2/3e don't really mind. Could start in the heartlands or the dales, as then you're not too far from the interesting areas which can be encountered later on.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  12:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I might be interested as well, and 2E wouldn't be much of a hassle for me.

But, how fast-paced would we be talking about here?

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  12:40:34  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be up for it also. And like Hoondatha, I'm a fan of kits too. I miss my old 2nd Edition campaigns.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  12:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, it looks like we're zeroing in on 2E.

Heartlands / Dales would be fun. The Volo's Guides would be my main resource then. Any other regions, folks? Any place specifically in the Heartlands?

In regards to pacing, in my experience on a PBP that's heavily dependent on the DM. So that's me, in this case. I post on games everyday, multiple times a day, so it shouldn't be a problem. An average of one post a day during the weekdays from players would be a reasonable target.

Edited by - Barshevy on 10 Apr 2009 12:42:41
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  12:44:21  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of the Western Heartlands, myself. I also love the Sword Coast. So for me, I'm even more interested than I was a few minutes ago!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  13:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep? Baldur's Gate? Calimport? Somewhere in between?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  13:19:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anywhere is good with me. And this got me looking longingly through my 2E books (something that hasn't happened in a looooong time). I'd be up for it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  13:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, great then!

Also, I don't want to give the impression that this will be an exercise in fantasy geography. The emphasis is on your character and the party. The basic idea is that we have the cities, towns (and forests for the nature-inclined) to give the PC's some context. I'll be using dungeons from published sources, adapting them to 2e if necessary. The Realms is what brings everything together, but the focus is on you guys.

Edited by - Barshevy on 10 Apr 2009 13:26:02
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  14:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, are we talking 2E rules, pre-ToT for the year, western heartlands and (just assuming here) mostly good-aligned adventurers then?

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1357 DR - the year the Grey Box introduced us to. 2E rules. Variant time line, so no ToT (if we get that far.) Western Heartlands and Sword Coast. The assumption on my part is that most of us would like to play heroes. But if you want to play a nascent villain, send me a PM on how you would like to do it.

Everyone please PM me with your PC ideas. Their homelands can be anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  16:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We might want to post a couple of character ideas here in the thread as well, to help keep us from having, say, a party full of wizards.

Personally, I've always wanted to play a tunnelrat (Demihumans of the Realms version, not Gnomes and Halflings), but that's heavily focused on dungeons/underground, so may not fit this campaign or other peoples' ideas.

What level do you think we should start at? Or XP, I guess, considering 2e's progression charts.

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  16:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some advantages to pbp games over tabletop games. You do miss much the good stuff ... the immediacy, the fun of hanging out with a group of friends, etc. On the other hand, I can split PCs off to their solo adventures and merge them back with the group without players feeling neglected. So if you always wanted to play a certain kind of character, then go for it. In other words, you can be a bit more 'selfish' in terms of what you want to do.

You can PM or post here, either way.

Level 1 is what I'm thinking.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  17:27:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll dig out my 2e material then and look through them for some ideas.

How do you want stats rolled? Every DM has a different method for rolling stats.....

Edit: And the Heartlands works fine for me.

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Apr 2009 17:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  02:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For each ability score, 4d6, dropping the lowest roll. Assign as you wish.

As anyone read Ed's 2e module "The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar"?

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  02:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not in a long time.

Hmm... I think putting some points into Find/Remove Traps just became a very good idea...

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  02:55:37  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

For each ability score, 4d6, dropping the lowest roll. Assign as you wish.

As anyone read Ed's 2e module "The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar"?

I read through half of it about a year and a half ago. Also, I'll get to character creation most likely late tonight, or at the latest Monday if that's all right.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  03:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please hold off on rolling up the characters until you've gotten a character proposal to me. A paragraph is all I need. Something about their history and personality.

Have you read "Doom of Daggerdale" by Wolfgang Baur?

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  03:36:21  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barshevy

Please hold off on rolling up the characters until you've gotten a character proposal to me. A paragraph is all I need. Something about their history and personality.

Have you read "Doom of Daggerdale" by Wolfgang Baur?

Understood, and no on the reading part.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  04:05:38  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, if some of us were interested in making a gold elf, would you want us to use the rules for making a grey elf in the Complete Book of Elves or the rules in Elves of Evermeet? I know it may sound like a stupid question, but I've had DMs in the past that differed on their preferences. Thought I should ask.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2009 :  04:13:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran that one, actually. Years and years ago, but I remember the high points.

I'll get you a character description either later today or tomorrow. I want to play around with some specifics on this tunnelrat idea first before I make a decision. What are other people thinking of playing? (in broad outlines)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000