Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Aasimar?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Five_X
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  16:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Five_X's Homepage Send Five_X a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm doing research for a novel I want to write, and I was wondering, what would a planetouched that was part moon elf instead of human be called? This has been bugging me for a while!

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  17:19:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feytouched, I'd say.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  17:51:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Feytouched, I'd say.

That's a Prestige Class in the book Faeries.

Me, I'd say what our planetouched moon elf would be called would depend on what the planar race was.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  18:09:56  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aren't they called Celadrin?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  18:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would stick with "Planetouched." Since both Moon Elves and Humans have the Humanoid type.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  18:45:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Aren't they called Celadrin?

Celadrin are a particular breed, indeed. They are elf/eladrin crossbreeds. They typically live among gold elves, though, and resemble them. In the Realms, they are considered gold elves for what they can play with.

They are detailed in "Legacies of Ancient Empires" in Dragon 350, an article written by Eric L. Boyd.

Many years before Eric's article, Sean K Reynolds did something similar on his website: the Eladree template.

Anyway, though, we're looking at a moon elf, here, and we don't know what the celestial parent was. So I don't think celadrin are an appropriate choice.

There's a 3rd-party book called Children of the Planes that presents a lot of variant planetouched. They also did the elf/bralani thing SKR did in his template, but took it in a slightly different direction.

The same book also has a succubus/elf crossbreed, but I'm thinking they'd serve better as NPCs than PCs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  20:22:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say originally, in Planescape, aasimar and tieflings didn't have to be descended from humans. Any human/demihuman blood still made you an aasimar or tiefling. Why Wizards decided to change that to human only, mostly, in 3e I never understood.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Five_X
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  22:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Five_X's Homepage Send Five_X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'll probably just classify the character as an aasimar to make things simpler.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  02:05:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Celadrin is the proper term.

When Eladrin were still Outsiders (not High Elves), a mix of them and Elf would have been Celadrin, ergo that should still be the term for such a Celestial/Elf crossbreed, even though Eladrin themselves have been retconned.

Until we have lore that says otherwise.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  00:11:59  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it would be a bit easier if you wanted that character for an actual game. In that case I'd suggest simply using the aasimar traits as a template and apply them to an elf...
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with aasimar. In fact I specifically recall there being an aasimar of largely elven descent back in Planescape.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:05:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

I'd go with aasimar. In fact I specifically recall there being an aasimar of largely elven descent back in Planescape.

Echo. :) Thought someone said that earlier... cough. Grin.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  16:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even without the prior knowledge about planescape, I have used both aasimar and tieflings stats as elves of celestial and fiendish descent (respectively).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  15:40:13  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like eladree over celadrin (but wish there were more such articles)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  16:56:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Celadrin would simply be a sub-group of aasimar, just as a Cambion is a sub-type of Tiefling (direct lineage as opposed to 'Fiend-blooded').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000