Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is sanity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  08:22:58  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been pondering this for quite a while now, ever since I read Ed's statement that the chosen were insane to one degree or another. What exactly is sanity and insanity? Couldn't it be said that El is the sane one, and the short-sighted, foolish mortals who repeat their forebears mistakes time and time again are insane? Certainly if one looks from the outside at some of the things humanity has done, one could argue that the entire species is bonkers.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  09:18:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ELmister, Old SAge, Old SAge of Shadowdale, Elminster the Mad,Elminster future god of magic, Elminster this, Elmister that, give me 2000 years and I'll show you madness......

He was insane before, his description in previous edition lore stated, that he often had discussions with old friends long gone.
and now after the plague, I think it gave him an incurable case of schizophrenia ..
The Symbul's insanity was showable just how she acted.
Storm's was well, she was a Super PErv, going into battle nude...
well, insanity various between people,most are crazy mad in various things, only difference is how they control it, and if its manageable.

what is sanity and insanity, parallel opposites, ask 200 different people, and get 200 different answers.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  10:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Simbul is VERY insane....which makes her VERY Dangerous. lol

It might just be people's perceptions on the Chosen, as they appear insane, but there is a very distinct and meaningful reason behind their acts of apparent insanity.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  12:19:14  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The definition of sanity is making sure everything is clean, disinfected, sterile.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  14:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inaubryn

The definition of sanity is making sure everything is clean, disinfected, sterile.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  15:29:14  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is sanity? No idea; but then I don't have any and have a certificate to prove it
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  16:46:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inaubryn

That actually sounds completely nutty.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  22:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sanity is hot fudge sundae.

Mystra's chosen aren't just insane, they're functionally insane. They have their little crazy problems, but they can get by in the world just fine in spite of them.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  23:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Mystra's chosen aren't just insane, they're functionally insane.

That seems like an appropriate way of putting it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  23:32:35  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I have been pondering this for quite a while now, ever since I read Ed's statement that the chosen were insane to one degree or another. What exactly is sanity and insanity? Couldn't it be said that El is the sane one, and the short-sighted, foolish mortals who repeat their forebears mistakes time and time again are insane? Certainly if one looks from the outside at some of the things humanity has done, one could argue that the entire species is bonkers.

I think sanity is defined by the conditions of the reality one lives in. You are being defined as insane when your behaviour or thoughts escape the range/scope of the reality we live in, which in itself has a certain "bandwidth"/tolerance range in which you can perceive this reality and still be considered "sane".

Now if you take the Chosens for example, that is an extreme case.

I have to think about the Avatars novel series where Midnight becomes Mystra and realizes, that every god sees reality through the (extremely narrow) eyes of what he/she stands for among the believers and that the gods are incapable of seeing other perspectives than their own narrow ones.

Considering that a Chosen is a mortal being on Faerun (mostly) and on Faerun there exists a "bandwidth"/tolerance range as stated above in which people on Faerun perceive reality. A Chosen in general would adopt quite a bit of the narrow god-perception of reality of his god, which may lead to a rather extreme perspective/point of view of things and how they should be.
An extreme position on the other hand increases the probability to be out of the scope of what is considered sane.

So I'd say, yes the Chosen are insane to one degree or another.

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000