Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lathander, Amaunator, and the Risen Sun 'Heresy'
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  13:37:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iliyan

I've got a question that is somewhat related to all this. Thing is I can't seem to dig up when exactly Amunuator( sp?) first appeared... It might have a peace of the puzzle as to which came first and how do they intertwine.

First off, I remember that in Baldur's Gate 2 there was the whole temple thing of Amunuator where you fought the shadows and the shadow dragon and the wraith thingie( can't remember exactly any more). Now, this was my first contact with the name, I'm not pulling any strings to BG2 though... it is hardly a reliable source, but I suppose that the deity must have existed somewhere before that for it to be integrated in BG2. Since I highly doubt that it was invented for Bg2.

So, any clues as to when( FR date or/and book in which it was released) Amunuator first appeared?

Amaunator was mentioned in FR13 Anauroch; I think that was his first appearance. He was expanded on in the Netheril box set, and then fully detailed in Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  15:16:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Iliyan

I've got a question that is somewhat related to all this. Thing is I can't seem to dig up when exactly Amunuator( sp?) first appeared... It might have a peace of the puzzle as to which came first and how do they intertwine.

First off, I remember that in Baldur's Gate 2 there was the whole temple thing of Amunuator where you fought the shadows and the shadow dragon and the wraith thingie( can't remember exactly any more). Now, this was my first contact with the name, I'm not pulling any strings to BG2 though... it is hardly a reliable source, but I suppose that the deity must have existed somewhere before that for it to be integrated in BG2. Since I highly doubt that it was invented for Bg2.

So, any clues as to when( FR date or/and book in which it was released) Amunuator first appeared?

Amaunator was mentioned in FR13 Anauroch; I think that was his first appearance. He was expanded on in the Netheril box set, and then fully detailed in Faiths & Avatars.

Yeah, I do believe Anauroch was the first reference for Amaunator. He's briefly mentioned in the Cormanthyr book as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  17:56:00  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the question of why there are 3 'sun' gods and only 1 moon goddess: The moon just isn't that important, comparitively. Without the sun, life isn't possible, and everyone realizes that.
And Menelvagor, I agree with the tone of your OP, but I was pointing out that it might not be canon.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  18:28:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

On the question of why there are 3 'sun' gods and only 1 moon goddess: The moon just isn't that important, comparitively. Without the sun, life isn't possible, and everyone realizes that.

By that logic, there is no need for a moon deity at all.

Also by that logic, either one deity should cover all aspects of the sun, or there should be, at all times, active deities covering all aspects of it. Because if the sun is so important, having just a dawn deity or just a noon deity isn't going to cover it.

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  19:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, this is real world logic, which does not apply to Toril at all. Selune and Shar are the very first gods created by Ao - they were even before the sun came into existence. It was Selune who created the sun at the bidding of Chauntea to make life on Toril possible - much to the chagrin of Shar.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  19:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly and Sage!
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  22:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And Menelvagor, I agree with the tone of your OP, but I was pointing out that it might not be canon.

I have to disagree that the moon isn't just as important as the sun. In our world the moon effects the tides, calendars, seasons, countless nocturnal creatures, and night travel (you see better with a full moon then you do with a new moon). It is fair to say the same happens in Faerun as well. Not saying the sun isn't a very important thing to the process of life, but the moon would as well. And since in Faerun certain creatures get their power from the moon, I would say it is probably incredibly important aspect of their lives, more so then probably the sun.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  02:36:47  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't say that the moon was UNimportant: Just not as important as the sun, nor to as many people in daily life. The average Faerunian is a farmer, and it silly to think that a farmer (real-world, or faerunian) doesn't recognize the correlation betwixt ample sunlight and bountiful crops.
In any case, I (personally) don't think the Realms NEEDs 3 'sun' gods, but I do like the interplay between the heretical and orthodox clergy. I like the idea, if not the implementation, in other words.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  03:40:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

I have to disagree that the moon isn't just as important as the sun. In our world the moon effects the tides, calendars, seasons, countless nocturnal creatures, and night travel (you see better with a full moon then you do with a new moon). It is fair to say the same happens in Faerun as well. Not saying the sun isn't a very important thing to the process of life, but the moon would as well. And since in Faerun certain creatures get their power from the moon, I would say it is probably incredibly important aspect of their lives, more so then probably the sun.

Not only for those reasons but people actually live on Selune and well, no one lives on the sun except for fire elementals and or beings from the Plane of Fire.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  04:41:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

After all, the New Moon Pact of Selūnite lycanthropes oppose Shar and her dark agents. 'Twould be somewhat difficult to explain this if Shar also represented an aspect of the moon itself.

Which is why when I gave her a moon, it stopped Lycanthropes from changing... which keeps everyting intact.

Of course, I've since shunted Shar's moon over to Abeir now that we have 4th edition - thats where all the 'icky' things go.

Another thought I had was that Selune's tears were actually Shar's moon, which was destroyed by Selune during their battle.

I have a question which is semi-related to his subject, only because people have connected it to the whole Lathander/Aumanator thing -

About when did the Dawn Cataclysm take place? I know we never got a definitive date, but I remember bringing this up awhile back (somewhere) and someone had posted a VERY comprehensive break-down pinpointing the year (or at least, a set of 'target years').

It may have been Gray Richardson... I forget...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2009 06:59:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  05:00:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

About when did the Dawn Cataclsym take place? I know we never got a definitive date, but I remember bringing this up awhile back (somewhere) and someone had posted a VERY comprehensive break-down pinpointing the year (or at least, a set of 'target years').

I've narrowed it down to approximately 700-712 DR.

There's a lot of uncertain info about it, and some designers favor an approach of "it happened outside of time". I can't stand that approach, myself.

Anyway, there are repeated references to the Dawn Cataclysm "presaging" the Fall of Myth Drannor. And Myth Drannor's Fall ran from 712-714. So the Dawn Cataclysm was obviously before 714.

Next, we have a reference in the FRCS: on page 264, it talks about the schism in Tyche's church. During 8th century DR, Tyche's church split into the churches of Tymora and Beshaba.

We know that those two deities sprang out of Tyche's remains during the Dawn Cataclysm. And it's not at all unreasonable to assume that the two sisters would start segregating their faiths almost immediately. I've heard others suggest otherwise, but I don't see why the deities would take their time, or why they'd allow any sharing of worshippers pre-schism.

So the schism happened after 700 (or 701, depending on how you look at it), and the end came for Myth Drannor in 712. Therefore, we can assume that the Dawn Cataclysm happened during that same time frame, or perhaps just a little bit before it.

And something that occurs to me... Maybe the Dawn Cataclysm caused Myth Drannor's fall. After all, a lot of goodly deities would be interested in keeping Myth Drannor around -- deities of just about all the goodly races, in fact. And the Dawn Cataclysm caused a lot of problems for the deities... Maybe Myth Drannor's fall was a reflection of the turmoil in the heavens.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  05:56:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do know that Murdane was killed during this event, and it was also around this time that the division of Tyche occurred -- resulting in the creation of both Tymora and Beshaba.

As for when, that's largely unknown as well. Based on some *facts* however, various possible dates have been thrown into the debate. It was dated once [161 DR], in a poster handed out a GenCon -- the seriously flawed [and now largely ignored] "Netheril Timeline" handout as I recall. Another possibility suggests that it occurred somewhere between 700 DR and 712 DR.

However, it's been said that Tyche division had little to do with the actual Dawn Cataclysm. Which is partly why I'm not really a proponent of this theory anymore. I don't believe we should be reading too much into this. In fact, I think it may mean exactly what it means. After all, Krash did personally re-write that particular section in the FRCS. And before the re-write, that section was ALL about the DC. But because the designers didn't want to ruin the endless debates and threads that were to come, they changed it a little and wrote it up differently.

A third option, and the one I had previously been leaning toward, is the theory put forth by Eric Boyd. He first suggested that the Dawn Cataclysm happened outside the timestream and, thus, cannot be properly dated.

My current theory however, based on some recent private communications with an FR designer, suggests it may have occurred somewhere in the period between 200 and 400 DR. With the actual ramifications of the event starting around two or three centuries later -- about the time of Myth Drannor's fall.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  06:12:00  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, was Murdane the deity with whom Helm was 'involved- the one with the portfolios of reason and logic? If so, do we know what killed her? I recall thinking that it didn't sound as though she died from lack of worship.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  06:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't say that the moon was UNimportant: Just not as important as the sun, nor to as many people in daily life. The average Faerunian is a farmer, and it silly to think that a farmer (real-world, or faerunian) doesn't recognize the correlation betwixt ample sunlight and bountiful crops.
In any case, I (personally) don't think the Realms NEEDs 3 'sun' gods, but I do like the interplay between the heretical and orthodox clergy. I like the idea, if not the implementation, in other words.

I never said you said it was unimportant, I was disagreeing to the fact you said it wasn't as important as the sun. However, I wasn't disputing the sun wasn't just as important either. What I was saying was both are needed even if said farmer doesn't think so or know so.

That is all I was saying. Nothing more.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  06:41:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sage, was Murdane the deity with whom Helm was 'involved- the one with the portfolios of reason and logic? If so, do we know what killed her? I recall thinking that it didn't sound as though she died from lack of worship.

Yes, that was her. And I can't recall how she died. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  07:14:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, it's been said that Tyche division had little to do with the actual Dawn Cataclysm. Which is partly why I'm not really a proponent of this theory anymore.

Oh, I don't assume the two events had anything to do with each other. We just know that Tyche fell during the Dawn Cataclysm. Nothing I've seen suggests that her corruption had anything at all to do with the DC -- it just happened at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  07:19:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmm... and then years later we have Helm accused of sneakin' around with Tymora...

... methinks Murdane was somehow merged with Tyche - briefly, and then re-split into two new goddesses.

Which would explain why Helm may have some sort of attachment to Tymora - she was the result of Murdane's brief mixing with the luck goddess.

Still, we don't really know what the Dawn Cataclysm was, or what Lathander was intending (perhaps making himself permanent?), or weather or not it even had anything to do with the Tyche split (although maybe he was trying to use 'luck' to accomplish whatever).

Perhaps it did take centuries... If the two goddesses were merged - probably against their will - it may have taken centuries for them to split apart again (which resulted in two completely NEW deities, because they got 'scrambled' from having been mixed for so long).

Just a theory... and no less weird then others I've heard.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2009 07:21:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  08:20:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes.

And according to Krash's "as-close-to-official-as-we-have" write-up of Murdane, she had the portfolios:- reasoning, sensibleness, and deduction. As for her demise:- "Her worship rose to prominence with the fall of Savras, and was ended only a short time later as gods reckon such matters, when the deity Lathander indirectly caused her destruction during the Dawn Cataclysm."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  08:28:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

However, it's been said that Tyche division had little to do with the actual Dawn Cataclysm. Which is partly why I'm not really a proponent of this theory anymore.

Oh, I don't assume the two events had anything to do with each other. We just know that Tyche fell during the Dawn Cataclysm. Nothing I've seen suggests that her corruption had anything at all to do with the DC -- it just happened at the same time.

As I see it, Tyche splitting into Tymora and Beshaba does not logically lead to the statement that the Dawn Cataclysm must have happened in the 8th century of Dalereckoning. However, I've seen alternate thinking which suggests otherwise.

Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  09:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is revelent to the Dawn Cataclisym or what not but i'd thought I would throw this tidbit in. Selune was the one who created Tymora and Beshaba by cleaving Tyche right down the middle because of her corruption. She stated that herself in Tymora's Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  13:57:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As I see it, Tyche splitting into Tymora and Beshaba does not logically lead to the statement that the Dawn Cataclysm must have happened in the 8th century of Dalereckoning. However, I've seen alternate thinking which suggests otherwise.

My thinking is that the schism would have closely followed the separation of the two deities. And we know that they were separated during the Dawn Cataclysm -- therefore, the schism would closely follow the DC.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  15:14:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm content with either interpretation, really. And I've suggested both in my Realms. Your position, and the possibility that the split occurred much earlier -- taking awhile for this knowledge to disseminate and propagate among Tyche's faithful.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  15:50:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

I don't know if this is revelent to the Dawn Cataclisym or what not but i'd thought I would throw this tidbit in. Selune was the one who created Tymora and Beshaba by cleaving Tyche right down the middle because of her corruption. She stated that herself in Tymora's Luck.

Indeed she did because Moander had corrupted her. BTW, the Greek deities are still looking for Tyche, or, at least, they were in 2e's cosmology according to On Hallowed Ground.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  02:54:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only one MAJOR problem I see with Wooly's logic - the time period from -133 DR to -25 DR in Tethyr was known as Tethyr under Beshaba's Cloak - pg. 27, Tethyr booklet (from LoI).

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Mar 2009 02:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  03:25:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Only one MAJOR problem I see with Wooly's logic - the time period from -133 DR to -25 DR in Tethyr was known as Tethyr under Beshaba's Cloak - pg. 27, Tethyr booklet (from LoI).

Elminster was born in 212. And at that time, Tyche was still worshipped in Athalantar. Ed's words, from page 32 of Dragon 228: "in those days, the Luck Goddess had not yet split into Beshaba and Tymora".

So either the Tethyr info is erroneous, or there was an earlier Beshaba.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  04:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One could of course argue that Toril is no longer in its Dawn Age, and has through chronology of time alone, entered into the peak of its life as a world, and the sun god merely reflects this.

I would imagine then that 5th ed would see Lathander become the Lord of the Evening, then maybe the High God of Prime Time and then later Master of the Time Just Before Conan O'Brian Comes On. :)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  04:24:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Elminster was born in 212. And at that time, Tyche was still worshipped in Athalantar. Ed's words, from page 32 of Dragon 228: "in those days, the Luck Goddess had not yet split into Beshaba and Tymora".

So either the Tethyr info is erroneous, or there was an earlier Beshaba.

Indeed. And this has been brought up before.

I've speculated in the past that the "Beshaba" reference itself may not actually be an error. Rather, it may just be an creative expression derived from Count Gamalon's reporting skill.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Mar 2009 04:26:37
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  06:42:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or Tyche is still around and is two faced

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  11:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess this is the last time I'll say this, and then let the drift happen...
What do you think of the theory? DOes it make sense? Impossible? Would you use it in a game?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  15:45:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

I guess this is the last time I'll say this, and then let the drift happen...
What do you think of the theory? DOes it make sense? Impossible? Would you use it in a game?

I don't see it happening. Once Lathander started realizing he was losing worshippers, he'd do just about anything he could to retain the ones he had and to get the lost ones back.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000