Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pre-4th Ed Halruaa - Language/Culture Sources?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  08:03:48  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm building a game to be set in Halruaa and as I've been reading through both editions of The Shining South I've been left with a largely unanswered question of what some aspects of Halruaan culture are like. (Just got the Cunningham trilogy to read through, but haven't had a chance just yet, and I'm not sure if my question will be answered by them, anyway.)

I know the "inspiration and influences" question has come up before for various regions of Faerūn as for what region resembles or was/seemed based on what real-world equivalent (i.e., Mulhorand and Egypt) and I wanted to revisit that for Halruaa:

- Was there a particular inspiration or "source" for Halruaa?
Geographically at least, the encounter tables and environment liken it to parts of Africa, but the human-aspect doesn't match up. There's vague hints at a fantasy Middle-eastern to east-Indian style of dress.

- Is there a particular style and "sound" to the Halruaan language?
When naming their cities or people, is there any definitive inspiration, or a suggested real-world equivalent (Semitic language family, maybe?), or was it constructed without a "source"?
From various 'net information I learned that a Jordaini in the Magehound novel is named Matteo, an Italian version of Matthew. This doesn't seem to fit with the loose name-theme, but I so far haven't been able to figure out what that naming-theme even is.

Anyone have any insights or thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  09:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you search for material about Halruaa, you should consider material about Netheril as well-after all, Halruaa is living Netheril, the true heir of this ancient empire. Their language, for example, is the modern form of ancient Netherese.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  10:16:44  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember rightly from what I read in Netheril: Empire of Magic, ther wasn't terribly much to answer my questions in that source.

I may have found my answer in the thread: Architecture of the South (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6071) though!
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis
Halruaa

Real world touchtones: ? Touareg and Saharan?

The roots of Halruaan culture are a blend of Lapal tribes and Netherese, also influenced by Arkaiunan (human) tribespeople from Dambrath. According to the 3rd. ed. FR Net Compendium, Netheril's real world inspirations are "Touareg and Saharan desert-like nomads."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  23:05:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My view would be that you shouldnt search for Earth analogues but rather focus on what you know of Halruaa from the sources and extrapolate from there.

Where Ed has given us glimpses of Halruaa he has touched on the powerful position of families/clans in the social hierarchy and the fact that most families have their 'base' in remote, rural areas of the realm. To that end I would focus on coming up with some powerful Halruaan families (I could give you a list if you like) and choosing where to place them geographically for future reference. Loyalty to family would outweigh loyalty to the realm given the decentraliseed nature of the authority structure. Success in politics would be valued only where the interests of the entire realm were furthered (a rare occurrence in Halruaan history) or where a family/clan gained pre-eminence or a benefit in terms of land and influence.

Minor clans or individuals of no family would either latch onto the powerful families and use them as patrons (much like the client system of ancient Rome) or go their own way by seeking a succesful career in the military, civil adminsitrative government or ... most important of all, wizardry.

Magic is obviously a facet of everyday life and I wopuld expect that the rich would use an abundance of 'unseen servants' for their daily needs while the poor would rely on cantrips to assist with domestic tasks. Magic would also be used in building, architecture and gardening - 'land sculpting' was big in ancient Netheril and that tradition continues in Halruaa. The society would be an ordered one with likely a small criminal element, and likely a sophisticated criminal element where such activity occurs.

If you can find the old FR16 Shining South accessory that pre-dates the 3E version, you will get some further insights into dress, culture and how magic, geography and weather impact on Halruaan society.

We haven't seen anything on the Halruaan language and you have free rein to come up with words that fit. Ed provided a host of names for the 3E FRCS that unfortunately was greatly truncated but I'm sure if you asked him on his thread he could give you some pointers. With all due respect to Elaine, "Matteo" should in no way be read to be an indicator on Halruaan naming patterns.

Have fun and get creative. I've always considered Halruaa an awesome opportunity to do 'right' and deliver a huge amount of detail and realmslore. Too bad it's gone in 4E.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 25 Mar 2009 23:05:49
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  01:40:31  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be going my own way and filling in blanks myself, of course. DM's prerogative and all that. :D

What I wanted to know, however, was the original designer's ideas of the place. I like a sense of consistency in my worlds and for there to be a natural flow and evolution from one thing to the next. To best decide on what something is to be, I like to know what the designers were thinking or inspired by for the common roots.

For instance, knowing that the designers had the Tuareg in mind when they were working on the Netherese gives me a style to work with that should, theoretically, remain consistent within itself as it grows to encompass the descendants of Netheril. The cultures branched off in their own directions, of course, bot the common roots are fascinating and important to my method of building. If there are none, then I can work it out myself.

However, it's fairly obvious there was real-world inspirations of the majority of the places on Faerūn regardless of if they can be directly translated or if it's only the vaguest of similarities. So if the inspiration for the Netherese was Berber Tuareg or even just "desert nomads", from that I can extrapolate further to fill in the details and elaborate on the descriptions of Halruaan style, how urban and rural architecture differ, customs and so forth that I feel are missing in the information provided by the accessory books.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  03:06:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say they are a hybrid of the Netherease and the existing 'primitives' (Early Lapalease - actually a Turami {Chultan} derivitve themelves) that were inhabiting the south of that time, which is why you have Africanesque Geography, a Northern (Romanesque) civic set-up, and Moroccan culture (dress and some architecture - although the architecture is a blend of classical and Middle-Eastern {almost Byzantine}).

If I 'had to' liken them to any RW state, I would say Tripoli, and its very complicated and culturally diversive history.

The Why and How:
An event happened in Zakhara's distant past called The scattering of Fate, wherein a foolish Caliph wished that all the people of Zakhara would stop their constant fighting. Fate answered his 'prayer' by dispersing ALL the inhabitants of Zakhara to the edges of the sub-continent - mostly along the coasts, but also up into the Utter East, and from there they spread north (into the Raurin) and west (across the Shining South). This branch of the Zakharan people are known as the Muhjein (or Muhjari), and their influence can be seen throughout the Raurin, Shining Waters, and Lapal peoples (think north-African coast for that last group).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2009 02:52:33
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  04:19:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and our first 'official' look at Halruaa was here:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsrnewsletter.pdf

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  06:20:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. As I recall, 'twas one of the "overrun entries" from the Ol' Grey Box. Though it was briefly referenced -- pgs. 56 and 67 in the Cyclopedia of the Realms. However, they don't particularly say too much about Halruaa itself.

It was expanded in more detail a little later in the 1988 TSR "Secrets of the Sages" -- complete with a map.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  06:27:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

To that end I would focus on coming up with some powerful Halruaan families (I could give you a list if you like)

Share! Share!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  08:15:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

I'll be going my own way and filling in blanks myself, of course. DM's prerogative and all that. :D

What I wanted to know, however, was the original designer's ideas of the place. I like a sense of consistency in my worlds and for there to be a natural flow and evolution from one thing to the next. To best decide on what something is to be, I like to know what the designers were thinking or inspired by for the common roots.

For instance, knowing that the designers had the Tuareg in mind when they were working on the Netherese gives me a style to work with that should, theoretically, remain consistent within itself as it grows to encompass the descendants of Netheril. The cultures branched off in their own directions, of course, bot the common roots are fascinating and important to my method of building. If there are none, then I can work it out myself.

However, it's fairly obvious there was real-world inspirations of the majority of the places on Faerūn regardless of if they can be directly translated or if it's only the vaguest of similarities. So if the inspiration for the Netherese was Berber Tuareg or even just "desert nomads", from that I can extrapolate further to fill in the details and elaborate on the descriptions of Halruaan style, how urban and rural architecture differ, customs and so forth that I feel are missing in the information provided by the accessory books.

Just curious, has it been mentioned anywhere that the Tuareg where an inspiration for the netherese or is it an example of your own workings on the Realms?

My handle on what is canon and what is not gets worse from year to year. Thankfully.
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  09:00:12  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jorkens,

quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

(...)
I may have found my answer in the thread: Architecture of the South (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6071) though!
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis
Halruaa

Real world touchtones: ? Touareg and Saharan?

The roots of Halruaan culture are a blend of Lapal tribes and Netherese, also influenced by Arkaiunan (human) tribespeople from Dambrath. According to the 3rd. ed. FR Net Compendium, Netheril's real world inspirations are "Touareg and Saharan desert-like nomads."

I'm still looking for this compendium to confirm this; I haven't been able to find it by searching the WotC site.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  09:30:02  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh, and our first 'official' look at Halruaa was here:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsrnewsletter.pdf

Are the Aglarond and Halruua maps Ed's originals? (similarly is the Simbul sketch an Ed original?)

Oh and I echo Wooly - share share!!

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  12:42:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, they were original "Ed maps".

As for Halruaan families, here is a partial list of some that are still around and some who are not:

Daycloaks (FOR9/55) [banished]
Vaeldern (FOR9/122) [extinct]
Darusk (PftF/49) [northern Halruaa]
Esculphion (PftF/49) [archmages]
Ilmeth (PftF/59) [extinct - last died mad]
Deirin (PftF/114) [archmages]
Flamefist (PftM/35) [mercenaries]
Malson (PftM/41) [extinct and/or exiled]
Mritavvalan (Dragon259/73) [extinct]
Halargoth (Dragon238/52) [dead/extinct?]

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  02:41:02  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that list!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  03:00:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A member of the Daycloaks family was also a Magister - SotM, pg. 54

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  03:12:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh very intriguing

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  03:20:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you George

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  10:44:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Thank you George

Damian

Pleasure.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000