Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 wizards.com
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  23:15:19  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
not trying to stare up trouble but before i decided to join candlekeep i looked at wizards first but its such a bitchy aggressive forum on there.im amazed the moderators let them get away with half the stuff.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  23:33:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with a company hosting the forums dedicated to its own products is that those forums are going to be the ones that attract the most people. So while they will attract those that are reasonable and try to be informed (I myself was quite active over there for several months, before they banned me), they will also attract all the other types of posters, as well. So for every informed poster who just wants to discuss specific info, you'll have a handful of trolls, fanbois, and totally ignorant folk who aren't even that interested in the company's products.

Sites like this one are great, because they generally attract the best of the people from the company site.

I've noted this same thing with the BattleTech community. I checked out the company forums, and I saw some rather harsh commentary in response to legitimate comments and questions. So I found another site that was also related to BattleTech, but wasn't the official site -- and the people there are a lot better (though I do have a personal problem with one of the mods).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  23:34:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind too, that the Wizards boards does have a sizable population of members, who each have their own unique views and opinions on the Realms. So it must be difficult at times, for the Moderators to police every single thread and comment made.

I mean, we've got a much smaller population of dedicated regular scribes here at Candlekeep. But during the peak hours of activity, I find it can be rather time-consuming to keep up on every scroll that's been updated. And thus, sometimes, negative-posts/comments or inappropriate remarks will sometimes slip through.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Mar 2009 23:36:48
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2009 :  23:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

not trying to stare up trouble but before i decided to join candlekeep i looked at wizards first but its such a bitchy aggressive forum on there.im amazed the moderators let them get away with half the stuff.

Just so you know, there is a report button on every single post on the WotC boards (it has "!" in it). If you want a moderator to pay attention to something, you have to press that button and report the post. As the others have mentioned, there are simply too many posters and too many threads there for the moderators there to keep track of.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  01:17:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And a consequence of having so many members and relatively few mods is that sometimes the mods there take global action -- everyone who commented on a thread gets a strike against them if there are violations in the thread, regardless of whether or not they did anything wrong themselves. At least one of the strikes that led to my banning was a global one, and I suspect that the last strike was, too.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  01:50:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  03:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And so I say thank you Candlekeep mods for your due dilligence in keeping things in line here.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  06:28:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

And so I say thank you Candlekeep mods for your due dilligence in keeping things in line here.

We appreciate the thanks.

But it's not too difficult, most of the time -- we've got a good bunch of people here.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  06:41:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

We appreciate the thanks.
Indeed. Just being about to communicate with my fellow scribes on topics concerning the Realms makes the few difficulties I sometimes encounter [as a Mod], worth it.
quote:
But it's not too difficult, most of the time -- we've got a good bunch of people here.
And Wooly!

Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  12:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The real reason is we're all afraid of being shoved into a certain soemone's gigantic cheek pouch if we break the rules.

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  13:09:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am glad that I got banned from the Wizards site. I still lurk there, and I am glad I dont have someone calling me CENSORED (Yeah it should be in red ) names or calling me different types of sex toys. I kid you not folks. That is one disturbed dude.

So instead of making this a lets bash the wizards forum, I will quit posting in this thread. I do know I think I have been a very good scribe here. I kinda find this forum getting better in the 4E Hate. We can agree to disagree here at Candlekeep.

Mods you guys are doing an outstanding job moderating here.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  14:22:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I am glad that I got banned from the Wizards site.

I am glad I was banned, but at the same time I'm not... I'm glad because it prompted me to come over here, and this forum is much more to my tastes than the Wizards forum is. I don't think I'd go back if it was an option*.

On the flipside, I did not deserve to be banned -- two of my three offenses were rather inconsequential, and I don't know what the third one was.

One offense was agreeing that a poster's comment was entirely unclear -- the guy's English was so mangled it looked like it'd been fed thru three or four online translators. It was bad enough that it wasn't clear if he was making a statement or asking a question. The thread got kinda harsh, and everyone was warned. So even though I didn't say anything remotely rude, I was treated as if I had attacked him along with everyone else.

Another offense was using the dreaded "n-word" when such discussions were officially verboten (I don't know if they still are). Here was the gist of the discussion: someone asked if Skip Williams had written a novel. I said he hadn't, but that I would prolly read it if he did. Apparently, discussing the possibility of a non-specific novel was the same as commenting on ones that had actually been written.

And as I said, I don't know what the third offense was, because the thread was deleted before I could check it out, and attempts to find out what happened got me nowhere.

So I didn't deserve to be banned. And that irks me. I've said I won't go back there without them apologizing to me and allowing me to use my chosen name, and I won't. But even if they did do that, I'd still only wander in there a couple times a week, at most.

*Yeah, I could go back if I registered another nick. I will not do that. I will use my chosen name, or I will not use any name at all.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  15:45:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't been banned for a few weeks now, and they gave me a novel, so I suppose you could say that I'm getting along there now. I guess it only took three bannings for me to learn my lesson... or for them to just give up.

Of course, I don't spend even ½ the time there that I used to (which is probably why I'm here more).

They've taken to editting my posts, rather then flat-out banning me, which I find amusing - I'm being censored (yesterday they felt the need to erase an entire sentence from one of my posts because I used the word 'crabs'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Mar 2009 15:47:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  16:24:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They've taken to editting my posts, rather then flat-out banning me, which I find amusing - I'm being censored (yesterday they felt the need to erase an entire sentence from one of my posts because I used the word 'crabs'.

You used the c-word!?! That take some serious cajones!

Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  16:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Marcus, they cannot allow you to hurt any crustaceans feelings, that might open them up the a lawsuit!

Edited by - Artemel on 19 Mar 2009 16:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  16:41:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started to explain the way in which I used it, but I had half-a-page here and still wasn't done, so I decided not to elaborate.

It was in a thread where we were having a very good and serious discussion about the inter-relationships of various churches in the Realms, and Sune and Talona came up, and what would Sunites possibly want to deal with Taloners for?

Cures for 'social diseases' came-up, and all I did was add in that they could also get crab-repellent.

The entire sentence (but not the rest of the post) was deleted due to 'inappropriate language'.

I would be interested to know which one of the mods didn't find anything funny about crabs. <smirk>

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Mar 2009 16:41:43
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  21:07:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think forums like that are more acerbic because there are so many people (as opposed to the smaller, quality-type posters here). When you have such a large crowd, there's just a greater chance to find bad apples in the bunch. Of course, I think the moderators are also more strict and have less sense of humor because they have so many people to keep in check. With so many people, there's a lot more potential for conflict of personalities even when people aren't necessarily being offensive.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  21:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I think forums like that are more acerbic because there are so many people (as opposed to the smaller, quality-type posters here). When you have such a large crowd, there's just a greater chance to find bad apples in the bunch. Of course, I think the moderators are also more strict and have less sense of humor because they have so many people to keep in check. With so many people, there's a lot more potential for conflict of personalities even when people aren't necessarily being offensive.

I agree. Also, when there are a lot of people, each person is less likely to "know" most of the other people and (IMO) are less likely to care about how they present themselves.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  22:36:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I will do one more post in this thread.

Wooly I got banned for Impersonation.

Markus I saw that post. I wondered what was going to happen with it. So they are editting them now instead of just deleting like they used to?

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  23:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another offense was using the dreaded "n-word" when such discussions were officially verboten (I don't know if they still are). Here was the gist of the discussion: someone asked if Skip Williams had written a novel. I said he hadn't, but that I would prolly read it if he did. Apparently, discussing the possibility of a non-specific novel was the same as commenting on ones that had actually been written.

I don't get it. What was wrong with asking about a novel on the Wizards boards?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  23:13:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talking about novels used to be taboo.

Thats no longer the case.

Which is a good thing, because I would have gotten perma-banned long ago, if that were still the case.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2009 :  23:23:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually come close to being banned -- twice. And I've received two official warnings. But still to this day, I really don't understand why I received them. One of the warnings was in response to my talking about a novel [even though it was a quoted tidbit from Ed to help a poster out with understanding a part of Elminster in Hell]. And the other was for, apparently, participating in an argument about Shadow Weave magic [which is strange, because I only posted in that 23-page thread once, and only to outline the differences between Shadow Weave magic and Shadow magic].

Anyways, that's largely why I'm not as active over on the Wizards boards these days. I check in every so often, just to help out with any posters looking for Realmslore. But that's it. I stay away from most other discussions, simply because I'm too cautious about saying something that may be interpreted incorrectly by the current generation of Mods.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  00:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for that thing about discussing novels, I know a guy that got banned at the WOTC forum because he reported a mod's post for mentioning a novel. Apparently, they just stacked a bunch of warnings up on him in one shot after that and sent him packing.

They took that real serious for awhile. I guess there was a lot of criticism coming in about certain novels and they didn't want to promote that kind of "anti-product behavior" there. I'd say it was to shield the writers, but if I recall correct, they made a point asking people to take their conversations about novels to the authors' own forums to discuss them (for better or worse). It was pretty zero tolerance. I remember it because that's about the time I started lurking over there and quickly decided (because of that and a lot of user negativity in other regards) that my time could be better spent sawing off my own toes with a spork.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  01:23:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To many arguments with people, especially over Ed's material, drove me away from the Wizards boards. My stress has been a lot better ever since I left. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  01:28:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

I don't get it. What was wrong with asking about a novel on the Wizards boards?

As Nerfed said, they basically banned all discussions of novels. I seem to recall that the official reason (and I could be mistaken; it's been a while) is that some authors were tired of getting hammered about their novels. So *all* novel discussion was banned. You could supposedly say some novel-related stuff without them coming down on you, but it was very limited and couldn't be much more than "yeah, a character did that in a novel".

It was quite zero tolerance, in actuality. My example proved that -- someone asked if a particular person had written a novel. In no way were any existing novels being discussed, for good or ill -- and yet they came down on us hard for it.

I'd actually signed up right when the novel ban went into place, so it wasn't a big deal for me -- but a lot of other people were royally upset. I seem to recall (and again, my memory could be faulty here) that the mods finally got tired of people complaining about the ban, and basically banned complaining about it.

It was pretty bad...

I had a lot of complaints about those forums when I was there, and things like that simply added to the list.

However... It was because I was active on there that I first started compiling a list of pre-formatted links and responses that I could simply copy and paste when I needed them. I've since greatly expanded this list (and actually spawned separate pages off of it, for reason of organization) and made it into html pages. I've used those pages a lot since then!

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  01:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to post there regularly before I knew about CK having a forum. The site has the keyword games so its banned at work so I can't check it, but I don't even at home which is fine cause it's more fun here

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  03:27:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

To many arguments with people, especially over Ed's material, drove me away from the Wizards boards.
Indeed. When I came back to the boards in '05 after a year's break, I distinctly recall noticing how many arguments over Ed's stuff had become apparent. Despite my best efforts, I often got drawn into a few. But my faith in whatever Ed may have said about a particular topic always got me through whatever nonsense posters could come up with to explain what they often championed as "facts" -- even when Ed's official word proved them wrong.

*sigh*

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2009 :  10:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

To many arguments with people, especially over Ed's material, drove me away from the Wizards boards.
Indeed. When I came back to the boards in '05 after a year's break, I distinctly recall noticing how many arguments over Ed's stuff had become apparent. Despite my best efforts, I often got drawn into a few. But my faith in whatever Ed may have said about a particular topic always got me through whatever nonsense posters could come up with to explain what they often championed as "facts" -- even when Ed's official word proved them wrong.

*sigh*

It takes all kinds...and thankfully those ones are there and not here

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  15:19:17  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Wooly! "Cajones" means "drawers". So unless you are implying that Markusthay has two drawers in his pants, it would be "cojones"...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Hi Wooly! "Cajones" means "drawers". So unless you are implying that Markusthay has two drawers in his pants, it would be "cojones"...

I actually always believed that Markustay had two drawers in his pants...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  17:22:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Obviously, my high school Spanish was a long time ago.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000