Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Impilturran/Damarran War
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  08:39:04  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I'm running a Damaran/Impilturan campaign, with my PC's having been named the council of lords of Trail's End (Baron Donleavy the Young having been tried and executed for treason by King Gareth for collusion with certain Impilturans).
In my campaign, Damara and Impiltur are on the brink of war (a situation created largely by Sonellion's meddling with various Lords of Imphras the II and certain Damarran nobility).
My questions are these:
1)What, in your estimation, would this war look like? Would either side have a clear advantage? My assumption is that Impiltur has Quantity, Damara has Quality, basically making it a wash.

2)Other than the obvious revenge factor, I've set it up that Sonellion hopes that, once Impiltur falls (providing that it does) it will no longer BE Impiltur, and Soargar's banishment will no longer apply. The question being, does this thought hold any water, or was she banished from the region, not the political entity?

3)Also, in my Campaign Damara has 'annexed' Vaasa almost in entirety (Gareth raised an army, handed it to one of his Barons, and in return for giving them Baronies in the newly conquered lands, gained the support of the adventurers running Darmshall), thus giving him a port on the Moonsea. What sort of reponse can he expect from Zhentil Keep?

Note: This question was originally posted (in slightly different form) on George Krashos' scroll.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  14:16:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't imagine that Sonellion was banished from the political entity... Being banished from the region is more likely.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  17:04:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Considering that BOTH nations are based around goodly knightly orders, I think the war would be VERY dignified and lawful (if you can imagine such a thing), with neither side pulling any 'trickery', and the whole thing being done along the line of Chivalry (allowing the enemy to take their dead from the battlefield without being attacked, for instance).

'Old School' warfare (the kind that got the British's butts handed to them during the American Revolution), with orderly ranks and men marching nice and staight into battle - you won't see any guerilla-tactics here.*

2) This is up to you. Technically, if the banishing entity no longer exists (Impiltur's former gov't), then the banishment should no longer apply (unless it was magical). However, if someone is greatly disliked by the people of a nation, then it won't really matter who's in charge - they are still going to run her out of town on a rail.

3) This is pretty much the canon state of events at the end of the 1370's anyway - Gareth was 'forced' to annex Vassa by Jarlaxle (and Artemis). Zhentil Keep is another issue - it really depends on the exact year. The keep could be recently destroyed (that silly Cyric affair), or be rebuilt and growing (taking over most of the Moonsea, as we saw in the 1370's), or be completely obliterated (end of 3e - the Shades annihilated them). If it's during the expansion period (which is likely), then I would say they will do every dirty thing they can to stop this from being a successful venture. I doubt they will confront Gareth directly - thats not their style, unless they have overwhelming odds.

The most likely scenario, IMHO? The Zhents somehow manage to start a fight between the Thayan's in Mulmaster - which is damn close to the new Vassan coast - and Gareth's new port. That is the 'Zhent style' - they will try to get their enemies to kill each other. As for Thay - they are not stupid. They will probably try to turn this around and do the same to the Zhents... and the Harpers may get involved as well (helping Gareth, and fanning the flames between the other two... unless Gareth's army has already managed to embarrass itself - see below).

* About not using 'dirty tactics' - Gareth will now have a VERY large contingent of 'Frontiersmen' at his disposal - rugged individuals who aren't quite as 'nice' as Gareth and his homies. These guys would be the 'loose canons', running around behind enemy lines and reaking havoc with their supply lines - something Gareth himself would probably never consider (starving your enemy is NOT very Chivalric).

You could use a group of these 'dirty fighters' to stir-up even more trouble - perhaps Gareth and Sambryl begin to reach an accord before open warfare begins (I can see them meeting in a tent set-up betwen the two armies), and then word reaches her of a farm town behind their lines that was burned and the people 'put to the sword', which enrages her and she walks out on the peace-talks.

For this kind of group, picture Mel Gibson's milita in The Patriot. While evryone is playing all 'nicey-nice', he gets the job the done. These 'Vassan Irregulars' will cause far more problems for Gareth in the long run, and in the end he could probably lose a lot of 'face' with the rest of Faerûn over it. Also, try to use some of the weird groups in the Bloodstone Lands for this, some of whom made appearances in the Sell Swords books.

If you go with The Patriot scenario I outlined above, then you should bring-in his 'opposite' - that evil British officer who stooped to the colonist's tactics and even sunk lower then them. I would suggest having him go to Narfel and hire some of those barabraic horsemen as mercenaries for this. In the end, you'll have two noble rulers sinking lower and lower as their subordiantes keep trying to 'out-think' the other, with all sorts of less-then-noble deeds being done on both sides.

War is ugly- make it so.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2009 17:11:02
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  18:50:07  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
1)What, in your estimation, would this war look like? Would either side have a clear advantage? My assumption is that Impiltur has Quantity, Damara has Quality, basically making it a wash.

2)Other than the obvious revenge factor, I've set it up that Sonellion hopes that, once Impiltur falls (providing that it does) it will no longer BE Impiltur, and Soargar's banishment will no longer apply. The question being, does this thought hold any water, or was she banished from the region, not the political entity?

3)Also, in my Campaign Damara has 'annexed' Vaasa almost in entirety (Gareth raised an army, handed it to one of his Barons, and in return for giving them Baronies in the newly conquered lands, gained the support of the adventurers running Darmshall), thus giving him a port on the Moonsea. What sort of reponse can he expect from Zhentil Keep?

1. Damara is a country used to war, having fought Zhengyi, a civilwar among the baronies, and Sammaster's minions all in a 14-year span. Canon sources list that even the commoners are all at least 1st level fighters. So yes they have the quality advantage you mentioned and the obvious advantage of epic-level NPC numbers. I think their advantage is clear. One thing of important note here. Canon has Gareth worried about the great hobgoblin host in the Giantspires AND the blightlords of the Rotting Man from the great forests. Listed below my post are the sources that even say war is an option against these two entities. It would be hard for me to imagine Gareth leaving himself open to either of those two on his east flank so I doubt he would seek to extend his army too far into Impiltur. Also with as high a powered as the Damaran NPCs are even the power of Sonellion could be overcome eventually if she used the artifact to suggest outrageous things (I mean we are talking about two LG and friendly nations at war - so it would seem that even a magical reason behind it would be tenuous). Lastly another reason for war to be short and sweet with a quick treaty to end it would be the massive economic trade disruption that this war would cause both countries.

2. same thoughts as Wooly and Markustay on this

3. Darmshall is blocked from the Moonsea by the Galenas unless there is some new map that shows this in 4E (which I do not subscribe to) so for Vaasa to have a seaport it would have to annex another land ... perhaps they create a trail through the Galenas, started building a new port on the north bank of the Moonsea (due north of Mulmaster - east of Hulburg) in the sandy beaches in the shadow of the Galenas... twould be interesting for Bloodstone to become a naval entity of which absolutely they would be a greater threat to Zhentil Keep

quote:
16. Gareth may go to war against the Talontyr and his blightlord forces (UE p82,191
a. The Rotting Man’s blightspawned Volodni forces have burned Damaran homesteads near Rawlinswood (UE p82,191)
b. Talontar forces have become strong enough to force Gareth and the Nentyarch to form an alliance (UE p82,191)
c. Gareth will not allow Nar tribes or Talontar blightlords to harass any Damaran settlements and may deem it necessary to claim Narfell and/or Rawlinswood to make Damara’s borders more defensible (UE p191)
1. Secure mining sites in Giantspire Mountains (FRCS p109)
9. ‘The Giantspires – war between the hobgoblin hordes versus three Nar tribes and a Damaran regiment (FR9 p64)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  20:39:52  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies so far... some good stuff there, guys! Alot of which falls along the lines of thinking I was using as well.
As for the Talontar in the Rawlinswood, in the game, Gareth is now 'mopping up' in Vaasa: He created the PC's as a council of lords (with cumulative authority equal to a Baron- they are a group of equals, with the PC paladin being the 'most equal') over Trail's End, which includes lands on the edge of the Rawlinswood. The gist is, that (in about a year) when he gets his 'Grand Army' all back from Vaasa, the PC's will have pacified the region, creating a favorable launching ground for the invasion into Impiltur (which the PC ambassador from Impiltur is working feverishly to avoid, since I intimated that his sources don't think Impiltur has any chance in this war).
BTW, the party is 16th-17th level at this time.
As far as the Hobgoblins, remember that they are under Sonellion's banner: She intends to bring them down on the weakened winner after the fighting is over.
Coach, thanks for the UE references: I don't own that book, but once I'm done typing, a trip to Amazon will rectify that oversight.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  16:34:59  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sorry, double post

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 06 Mar 2009 16:40:59
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  16:36:20  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just curious, what entities did you have in Castle Perilous?

i currently have the Church of Tiamat controlling it as per the Powers and Pantheons sourcebook

quote:
2. The Church of Tiamat (CotD p61) (DoF p69-74)
a. Hesthera Draketalons [LE Vaasan female cleric 14 of Tiamat] (CotD p62) (DoF p74)
b. Handmaidens of the Undying Queen (CotD p62) (DoF p74)
c. Multi-headed dracolich (CotD p62); The Undying Queen avatar – undead version of the Chromatic Dragon - used in Tiamat’s plan to subvert the Cult of the Dragon (PaP p134-137)
d. Seek metallic dragon eggs and corpses to feed the Undying Queen (PaP p136)
e. Chromatic dragons of Castle Perilous (FRCS p110) (FR9 p14,22,37) (GTotR p118) (DoF p9)
f. Tiamat is gathering a huge flight of dragons in Castle Perilous for revenge against the Damaran mortals who defeated her avatar (PaP p134-136) (GG p8) (FR9 p22,37) (DoF p9)
g. Oversee massive breeding program in Castle Perilous, creating Spawn of Tiamat, using monsters from the area (DoF p9,74)
h. Church of Tiamat and the Church of Bahamut followers race to seek out impact points of lightning strikes and gather eggs (DoF p10)

i had to come up with a logical reason why 100 chromatics would delay an attack for over a dozen years so i went with this:

they are waiting until Gareth gets completely finished with the building/rebuilding of the two massive gates and then attack from the air and take the Pass

so in essence a backwards siege where they take the pass and the humans have built the massive gates that would block a large human army from Damara to take the pass back

so the Vaasa in my campaign is still a question mark

Bloodstone Lands Sage

Edited by - coach on 06 Mar 2009 16:38:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  19:18:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at the map, and began to add a city on the river... when i ealized Ironfangkeep is already there (it is misplaced on the FRCS map). Then I started to place a town to the north, when I noticed another town - one not shown on the official map - that would work for the new 'Garethsport'.

The town of Sulasspryn is indeed canon, and works beautifully for this. I have some conjecture shown here on this quick mock-up.

That could either be a pass, or a tunnel (dug by Dwarves?). I'd personally go wth an ancient dwarven tunnel (a'la Moria), recently re-discovered, just because it's different (FR has tons and TONS of passes... but no mountian-crossing tunnels). In fact, 'cleaning out' that tunnel could ba a whole series of adventures unto itself.

As for coach's post - there was a powerful Red(?) Dragon controlling ALL the Dragons in this region quite some time ago. He planned on attack on Phlan, which fell-apart, but for awhile he was gathering Dragons to himself and forcing them to 'lay low' until the time was ripe. I don't remember any more details then that, or exactly when it happened, but I think it was discussed in the Pool of Darkness novel.

Just mentioning that as another good (canon) reason why you could have a massive number of dragons sitting around doing nothing for awhile.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Mar 2009 21:42:07
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  20:55:52  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually having the Vaasan campaign happen off-stage. It gives me a reason why the PC's have a year on their hands: A year to either find the real cause of the agression (Sonellion), to prep for the invasion (namely, by defeating, or at least weakening the Rotting Man- they can do this in conjunction with the Nentyarch, who has set up a 'court in exile' in my game), or to use diplomacy to defuse the situation, or whatever else they want. IF they are doing good work, and need more time, the war in Vaasa will hit a snag (like Castle Perilous). My ultimate goal for the PCs is to see them figure out the truth about the Demoncysts/Eltab/Sonellion, go to Rashemen to treat with the Witches for the loan of Hadryillys (sp), come back, and cut the Adamantine binding in the Citadel of Conjurers. I figure that this will take them to about 21st-23rd level, in time to square off w/ Eltab, for the blow-off. Then again, they may not take it in that direction: Despite repeated hints about the diseased creatures in the Rawlinswood, they have elected to spend the last two sessions in a spirited public-works project in their new lands.
Markus, I dig (heheh) the idea of a Mountain-Spanning Dwarf tunnel. It feels right in this place. Truth be told, the PC's will likely have little interaction with it, unless they make it a point to, since they now have lands in Damara proper.
Nonetheless, thanks for the mock-up! I hadn't considered Sulasspryn OR Ironfang Keep. Is Ironfang Keep occupied at this time? What sources mention it?
Thanks for all the help, folks.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  21:50:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Orc nation of Vastar once controlled most of the Galenas, and the last holdouts of that defunct Kingdom still battle the Earthfast dwarves continuously in the far southern portion of the Range. That means it is more likely an Orcish tunnel, although Dwarves theoretically could have have preceded them there. Either way, you gat a nice 'Moria' feel, and can even add-in a Balor (or two), considering the levels your dealing with, if you want to go full-bore LotR rip-off.

As for the latest Ironfang info - our very own Brian James can help with that.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Mar 2009 21:51:46
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  22:18:25  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus is that map from Mysteries of the Moonsea?

i seem to remember the super adventure in that hardback having a Galena Pass and even a "ruined city" with a temple to Kossuth in it near that pass

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  22:27:13  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That could either be a pass, or a tunnel (dug by Dwarves?). I'd personally go wth an ancient dwarven tunnel (a'la Moria), recently re-discovered, just because it's different (FR has tons and TONS of passes... but no mountian-crossing tunnels). In fact, 'cleaning out' that tunnel could ba a whole series of adventures unto itself.

i think both in Mysteries of the Moonsea and the old 2e Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms there is discussion of a tunnel in the Galenas

matter of fact in 2e PGFR i am almost positive, lemme get home and grab that source and get back to ya

also, the Warrens are a 300-mile spiderweb complex of tunnels underneath Bloodstone Pass used by the Halflings/Svirfs/Dwarves so tunnels aren't rare in the area

not to mention the Holes of Sunderland as another underground example

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  22:33:07  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i meant Black Holes of Sunderland, and now that I think about it, the Kiaransalee-worshipping drow city of V’elddrinnsshar is in the underdark near here so even more examples

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  23:21:16  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay found the info in my stuff at home:

quote:
Canon Portal #2 - SUBSURFACE TUNNEL UNDER THE GALENAS

2.1 Tunnels connect Damara, Vaasa, and Thar (2nd edition Player's Guide to the Forgotten Realms p120-125)
2.2 a subsurface (not necessarily underdark) means of travel
2.3 relatively safe once you actually get into the tunnels
2.4 now getting from Moonsea through the Ogre-infested land of Thar is another thing
2.5 Oddly enough this may be the safest route of them all. If Gareth is serious about attracting adventurers to help clear out the humanoid tribes in the Eastern Galenas, he may work out a deal with the dwarves to keep these paths relatively open.

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  23:34:39  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also, found this in my notes but for some reason i didn't list the source

speaks of a trail called Garumn's Climb between Moonsea and Vaasa

quote:
Thereafter, his long, unbroken line of kindly heirs ruled Damara well, only ending with King Virdin?s death. Until the most recent generation, the kingdom was a force on par with Impiltur. Damara maintained strong trade relations with the city-states along the Moonsea and along all the reaches of the Sea of Fallen Stars. The narrow gap between Rawlinswood and the southern expanse of the Earthspurs is still known as Merchants Run, and it is slowly returning to its former glory.

At the height of Damara?s glory, long caravans of merchants transported chalcedony down this pass to the fortress of Ilmwatch along the Easting Reach. They were welcomed and even protected by the legions of Impiltur. Fortified by brigades of Impilturian soldiers, the Damaran merchants then crossed through the Traders Bay region and into the great port of Sarshel. Ships from Thesk and all the nations floating vessels on the Sea of Fallen Stars met the merchants with open arms and open purses.

A second trade route, shorter but more difficult, carried the precious stone through Bloodstone Pass, the only sensible trail through the mighty Galenas. From there, the stone went to points north and west. Because it crossed through the wilds of Vaasa and through the mountains along Garumn?s Climb, this route was not preferred. But Garumn?s Climb has proven invaluable to Sembia and the city-states on the Moonsea, especially in times of heavy pirate activity, or on such occasions as when the Moonsea was cut off from the main waterway by a particularly nasty dragon turtle, as happened a few decades ago.

The bloodstone was traded in bars, each measured at 25 gold pieces in value. The crest of a Damaran noble house marked every bar, and on the opposite side was the year in Damaran reckoning. Nearly 1,000,000 gold pieces worth of the stone was taken annually from the mines in the Galenas alone. Particularly rich was the small region surrounding Bloodstone Pass, aptly named the Barony of Bloodstone. This annual yield of raw wealth more than kept the interest of merchants and speculators, and therefore the craftsmen, farmers, and ordinary folk of Damara lived quite well. Furthermore, Damara had little to fear from its neighbors. Protected by imposing natural boundaries, with the noble houses united under the rule of a single well-accepted king, there was little cause for unrest. The king maintained an army only to protect the caravans, and to defend the outlying rural communities from bands of raiding goblins or other wretched creatures. Certainly, the scattered tribes of Vaasa could never unite or pose more than a marginal threat. Peace was the norm, and the expectation of future prosperity, obvious.

kinda got off on a tangent from original post, i'll try to stay on topic from now on :)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  01:59:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know... I think that may be why I mentioned making it a tunnel. I had something tickling the back of my mind about it, but since I didn't know the source I didn't mention it.

quote:
Originally posted by coach

Markus is that map from Mysteries of the Moonsea?
No, that would e from my own customized map, which no longer has a complete Moonsea/Bloodstone region, because of that time I accidently saved over it.

I'm sure I'll get back to it again some day.

Anyway, the map you are referring to is This One, which does indeed show the adventure labeled 'excavation site' along the route I marked - good catch.

And since I only posted a small snipet of that map, I don't think I'm violating anything (and rather, generating interest even). Just be careful - both Ironfang Keep and the Monastery of the Yellow Rose are improperly placed on those official maps.

There was an article by Rich Baker that included a map of Thar. The funny thing about that is that it came out toward the end of 3e... and no-one understood a few of those locales.

Turns out they were for 4e and his novel, Swordmage.

I had all of the locales from those two sources and others (inluding the "Pools of..." novels) done, but alas, I have to re-do it all now.

Good thing I enjoy it, eh?

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Mar 2009 18:55:54
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  18:44:14  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering about that, since, upon hearing 'Garumn', I thought of Garumn's Gorge in Mithral Hall.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  19:00:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL...

I was just looking for some sort of map of Sossal (without any luck), and while I was checking the Bloodstone Lands product, I did come across the trail you guys just so happen to be talking about -

You can see it here.

A little different then how I placed my trail, but there could be two... or a trail and a tunnel...

I haven't bothered to look-over the Moonsea product and check the Excavation Site adventure, but it seems reasonable to me that a 'dig' could have uncovered an ancient Dwarven (or Orcish) tunnel through the mountains.

It looks to me like Gramble's Climb leads to Hulburg.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Mar 2009 19:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  19:02:57  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, this begs a question: Where the heck IS Sossal? I recall that (in Power of Faerun) a Merchant Prince was abducted while crossing Damara enroute to it, but I've never seen in on a map. I wanted to know for my campaign, but always forget to ask.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  19:47:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL...

You guys keep staying one step ahead of me.

Little bits and pieces of it can be seen on various regional maps (Great Glacier, The Horde, etc...), but as far as I know, there has never been map of just Sossal.

It lies in the far northeast corner of the Realms, wedged between the Endless Wastes and the Pelvuria (the Glacier). It appears on early maps, but was 'lost' when the map was rotated in 3e (which I have taken the liberty of rotating back the other way).

I just brought back an old thread to help me with my research, because I'd lik to include at least apiece of it on the 'naked' Unapproachable East Map I almosy have complete.

The idea is to get it correct on the nakit version of the map, so I can then go ahead and start detailing it on my main map (and release the entire thing on a Bloodstone/Demonlands Map).

Here's what I'm working with right now

I will have to make some adjustments, due in part to discrepencies with other maps, and also the weirdness brought-about by the 3e map changes.

However, because of the extreme northern projection on this map, one must assume a LOT of distortation caused by translating the globe onto a flat-map. Unfortunately, no FR map (that I know of) allows for this, so this may be something new I need to come-up with. The scale on the continental map is way off when applied to these nothern climes.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Mar 2009 19:48:42
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  05:21:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that's where Mount Sundabar is! I haven't had access to my 1E/2E maps for almost three years now, so I've forgotten these little things.

Interesting concept, re: war between Damara and Impiltur. On a related note, does anyone have a royal succession for the old kings of Damara (Virdin's line) mentioned in the quote in coach's post? I'd also be interested in the original source for the quote, if anybody happens to know. It's probably something I have on a shelf 200 miles away with no way to get to it.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  21:12:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, while looking up info on Dareth (for Sossal) in Dwarves Deep, I happen to find the Kingdom of Dwarves I just knew used to live here - it was called Sarphil! The lived in the Galenas around the Moonsea region - here is a quote (pg.50, DD):

quote:

Of old, the realm encompassed the eastern end of the Moonsea, and the mountains running north to what is now Glister. Beset by Orcs and Elven resistance to surface expansion, the Dwarves of Sarphil tunneled under what is now Mulmaster, going deep to pass under the Lis. Their delves, sought by adventurers in the Mulmaster region, are called "The Lost Ways".

There you go - I knew there were some old Dwarven tunnels here-abouts.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2009 21:14:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000