Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Spellfire Feat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  11:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This looks like a fairly straight forward system and is self limiting.
It clearly is very powerful compared to other feats and gives the player a significant boost.

If I allow this in my game am I in for some nasty shocks later?

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  12:24:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think so. I think that spellfire works better for NPCs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  13:48:54  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My char. has spellfire, and when you have to ready an action to absorb the incomming spell, and only spells tageting you can be absorbed, I personally have never realy used it. I took the feat for the added protection but mostly for the role playing aspect.. which I think is awesome... "only a handful per generation is born with this ability"

But the Spellfire channeler prestige class is quite hard core!
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  14:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Spellfire in 3E isn't as balance breaking as it was in 2E (correct me if I am wrong fellow sages, for I have never played one in either).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  14:53:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree, at least partially, that it's not as 'broken' as it could be. But it is still pretty powerful, since you become a Rod of Absorption and can heal or damage with the spell energy absorbed.

And I agree with Nicolai, it's mostly great fun as a Role-playing aspect. Because as soon as it's known that you wield Spellfire, all the baddies are going to come gunning for you.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input.

Do you differentiate between direct spell casting such as from wizards and indirect methods such as, wands, scrolls and potions?

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:14:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

And I agree with Nicolai, it's mostly great fun as a Role-playing aspect. Because as soon as it's known that you wield Spellfire, all the baddies are going to come gunning for you.

See, that's one of the things that would bother me. I'd prefer not to have a bullseye tattooed on my back and forehead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:22:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

See, that's one of the things that would bother me. I'd prefer not to have a bullseye tattooed on my back and forehead.

Ah, but it's perfect for the Thespian player that wants the game spotlight to be on him.

"Woe is me! See how I am hunted by the agents of evil no matter where I shall go?" <blast some zhents into non-existence> "How do I live? Where can I call home?" <blast some red wizards into non-existence, heal the party> "I am cursed to be forever alone. The burden of my power shall bury me..." <Alright! A nat 20! Take THAT, Manshoon!>

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  16:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree...it does act as more of a role-playing opportunity.
Works good for an NPC that you have to protect also (maybe someone who has levels in Commoner)

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  17:01:23  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me I found that it just makes your char. a bit more special, and thats what i like about it... if one were to buff up with spell levels before a fight, that would make one bad ass... but that just the combat issue of the feat. You can generate a lot of special questlines and roleplaying for that char. but just remember the other players, who might feel overlooked if one person gets all the attention. But besides that... go for it!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  12:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because as soon as it's known that you wield Spellfire, all the baddies are going to come gunning for you.

Is there a specific reason for this adverse reaction or is it simply a power thing. I can understand Red Wizards haveing a real problem with this but why would everyone care so much?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  12:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SO they can harness the power out of you for themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  12:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

SO they can harness the power out of you for themselves.

Yes, but as already pointed out, it is more a roleplay thing as the power is not world shaking. How much time and effort is it worth?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  13:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since it was more powerful back in the day, it was worth it at the time...since then though, not so much (something about our world's "game balance" is affecting their world)

Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  21:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question or two, same topic:

Spellfire 3e is a supernatural ability, can this be quicken like a spell-like ability?

Are there seperate feats for augmenting supernatural abilities?

Also it requires a touch attack to be made, in melee or at range. If the touch attack is made in melee could you apply strength bonuses to hit?

This is probably in the rules somewhere but I know you guys will just know this kind of stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  22:06:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feats that augment spell-like abilities (Sp) cannot be used to augment supernatural abilities (Su). Evidently, there are feats to augment supernatural abilities in the Tome of Magic. Also, you add your Str bonus to hit on a melee touch attack (unless you have Weapon Finesse, then you can use your Dex bonus).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 04 Mar 2009 22:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  23:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a little sicker in 3.5 if I recall rightly.

Spellfire lets you act as a Rod of Absorption, yes?

3.5 rod no longer needs you to use an action to absorb incoming spells.

Ergo, spellfire would auto absorb now, too, if the right conditions are met? (ie, spell allows SR and it targets wielder specifically?)

Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  20:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank god for Spellfire, though. Because so many characters just aren't strong enough without it. :)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ikki
Seeker

Finland
57 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  19:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Ikki's Homepage Send Ikki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and a few dozen orcs with clubs wont toss a single spell to power up that spellfire hellion... she will just be bludgeoned to pulp..
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  10:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note, in 4E, a spellscarred can have a Paragon Path that gives them an encounter power called Spellfire Channeler (or something to that extent with Spellfire in it) where they can use an Immediate Reaction to use a healing surge when they are hit with a fire power (spell, breath, etc...)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000