Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 If you were going to pick ONE Realms novel/trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  19:27:18  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If you were going to pick ONE Realms novel (or trilogy)...

for your non-DnD, non-RPG, non-Fantasy-fiction-reading spouse to read which one would you choose if you wanted for them to get "hooked"?

My wife has never been into fantasy/sci-fi fiction in either gaming or novel or movie form but she just read the Twilight vampire series after her sis-in-law begged her and made a comment that she may try some other fantasy fiction.

My two oldest children just played DnD (in FR setting obviously) for the first time last week and maybe if my wife gets hooked we can all play together.

I need opinions here of the best novel for a "newbie" to get hooked

(I have all FR novels minus 2 or 3 so all are pretty much in play)

Bloodstone Lands Sage

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  19:44:05  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOTE:

i did see this http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4893

but ... i thought my situation was different (i.e. a novel a non-gamer/fiction buff would like)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  19:51:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I of course would recommend Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy without hesitation (first book: Swords of Eveningstar), and if I had to pick one book, probably Spellfire (Ed again) or Elfshadow (Elaine Cunningham). Perhaps even City of Splendors (the novel Ed and Elaine did together).
Please note: I'm not trying to present "best novels" here or "most representative of the Realms or D&D" stories, either. I'm trying to think of what will "work" for a fantasy novice.

However, two questions arise: being as your wife is coming from a popular vampire series, do you think she would prefer "Gothic horror" fantasy?
How is she with humour in her fiction (some like, some hate, some have very "specific" tastes)?
And would you say she'll be more interested in lots of character interaction, or the "foray into danger" (dungeon crawl or explore haunted castle, where fighting monsters is expected)?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  20:47:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like THO's sugestions for Ed's works.

I would strongly consider Ghostwalker , for it features a tragic romance with a dark outsider type guy and a tough and beautiful lady knight.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  20:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seconding THO's recs (the wife really enjoyed Swords of Eveningstar, our copy of which Ed signed to her personally), and a couple more:

I myself started reading the realms with Darkwalker on Moonshae (which my wife also read and could get into, despite having no Realms background, with its Arthurian themes) and the Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies.

I think Shadow's Witness and the Erevis Cale books are also a great starting place.

I've also heard from several readers that Ghostwalker works for Realms/fantasy newbies, as it spans multiple genres (fantasy, horror, western).

(Not just a plug for my own work--I really have heard that!)

Cheers

EDIT: Woah, TRW and I are totally on the same page.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 27 Feb 2009 20:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  20:52:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I was thinking the Erevis Cale Series, or the Last Mythal Series(yes I liked that series), or the Icewind Dale Series.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  20:52:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham's Song and Sword series as well. Danilo and Arilyn are an interesting couple to read. And Homeland, which shows Drizzt's early life growing up different than almost everyone else in Menzoberranzan.

Crypt of the Moaning Diamond by Rosemary Jones , who wouldn't love a dwarf who takes in and cares for stray puppies! (and humans)

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  20:55:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the top of my list that hasn't been mentioned yet is RAS' Cleric Quintet series.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  21:32:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would probably choose something other than a Realms book, but the Moonshaes and the Danillo/Arilyn Harper books would be a good idea. I might also consider The Night Parade, but I am probably in a minority there.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  22:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably either Spellfire or Elfshadow. I think The Crypt of the Moaning Diamond was a great suggestion too, though.

I will say, though, that I find this question a bit hard to answer without casting myself as the novice fantasy reader.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Feb 2009 22:59:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  23:17:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I actually didn't have to pick one. The Lady K found my collection of Realms novels all by herself while perusing my shelves of DRAGONLANCE books. She first picked up Spellfire, because she was intrigued by the "lightning-wielding protagonist" and the "attacking dragon-skeleton" on the cover [I think that's what she said]. Since then, the Lady K has had an intense interest in dracoliches. She also wanted to learn more about the Dalelands, and most of the organisations and peoples featured in the book. So, I handed her my spare copies of the 1e and 2e FR boxed sets and she spent the rest of the following week devouring most of the lore within each. [We really weren't THAT close at the time, so the original boxed sets remained sealed-away ]

From there, she moved on to Elaine's books [most of which had been released at the time]. I do know that Elfsong remains among her favourite FR books. She's an Elaith fan though, which kinda conflicts with my love for all-thing-Danilo. And our friendly rivalry has only grown since we got together -- to the point where we are subtlety attempting to sway little Narnra's opinion as to who is better.

So, basically, the Lady K found the Realms all on her own. I didn't have to choose a book to get her hooked.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  23:51:50  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks guys for the input ... and to answer The Hooded One's question

quote:
However, two questions arise: being as your wife is coming from a popular vampire series, do you think she would prefer "Gothic horror" fantasy?
How is she with humour in her fiction (some like, some hate, some have very "specific" tastes)?
And would you say she'll be more interested in lots of character interaction, or the "foray into danger" (dungeon crawl or explore haunted castle, where fighting monsters is expected)?

i'm pretty sure it wasn't the 'gothic' part but the 'forbidden love' part although i personally haven't read the Twilight series so just guessing there

she would enjoy humor and i'd say character building (but not an overwhelming number of characters) over foray into danger

the book City of Ravens is another I have thought of because protagonist Jack is so likable

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2009 :  23:55:32  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I would probably choose something other than a Realms book, but the Moonshaes and the Danillo/Arilyn Harper books would be a good idea. I might also consider The Night Parade, but I am probably in a minority there.

thought about that too (Lord of the Rings or Dragonlance Chronicles maybe?)

the Realms lean is just a selfish plug on my part so that she may join the kids and I for our second gaming session

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  01:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There aren't any people in my immediate family or my circle of friends who doesn't play RPGs or read fantasy, but I'd recommend Shadow's Witness or any of the anthologies to get started in the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  02:18:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

There aren't any people in my immediate family or my circle of friends who doesn't play RPGs or read fantasy, but I'd recommend Shadow's Witness or any of the anthologies to get started in the Realms

That is a great idea, Best of Elaine or the Best of Ed would be great starts.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  03:14:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the case of my wife, I'd start her with either Elfshadow or Azure Bonds. Not only are those two of my favorite Realms novels, but they also feature strong female characters, which would appeal to my wife-cicle.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  03:37:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Crypt of the Moaning Diamond by Rosemary Jones , who wouldn't love a dwarf who takes in and cares for stray puppies! (and humans)

-I named a stray cat after one of the Characters in that book.

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  03:52:32  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as anthologies go, I think Realms of Valor was great. For novels I'll throw in with the rest of the forum that is suggesting Songs and Swords.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  03:56:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sword & songs or the finders stone trilogy for older realms trilogies. Erevis Cale trilogy for newer realms novels.

For my wife, I would probably go non realms and start with the Dragonlance Chronicles.

Edited by - scererar on 28 Feb 2009 03:58:14
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  03:58:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I know, how about Return of the Archwizards! (Starts ducking food products that will be thrown my way in the near future. )

BRIMSTONE

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  06:07:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Harry Potter...

Oh wait... you said Realms novels...

Anyhow, Evermeet, by far. if that doesn't hook her, nothing will. If you want a trilogy, then go for the Starlight and Shadows novels, also by Elaine Cunningham. I'd go with that over Drizzt, because it has a female protagonist.

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I know, how about Return of the Archwizards! (Starts ducking food products that will be thrown my way in the near future.

My arms aren't quite long enough (consider yourself smacked in the back of the head).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Feb 2009 06:08:45
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  23:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first Realms novel was the first book of the Tuigan trilogy (Horselords?), but it was the book on Cyric post-ToT (Prince of Lies) which got me really hooked on Realms fiction.

(I apologize: I'm not at home and can't look up the titles. Thanks to the Sage for the info on the Cyric novel title.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 28 Feb 2009 23:38:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2009 :  23:18:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

My first Realms novel was the first book of the Tuigan trilogy (Horselords?), but it was the book on Cyric post-ToT (Lord of Illusions?) which got me hooked on Realms fiction.
I think you mean Prince of Lies.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  03:37:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Sage, would that Ed could publish all his dracolich lore.
Well after he "invented" them, they got noticed in the Realmslore turnovers he sent in weekly to TSR, and he was asked to "do them up" for a DRAGON article. He did, it was published, and then the TSR designers took turns phoning him and demanding more details (about variant dracoliches, how a dracolich would be altered if this spell or that dragon was thrown into the "becoming a dracolich" mix, and so on). Ed generated TONS of stuff. A LITTLE of it later got used in the CULT OF THE DRAGON sourcebook, but the rest of it TSR gratefully received, used in some small ways (such as a Dragonlance undead dragon in the pages of DRAGON, I believe), and otherwise . . . sat on. So they own it, it's covered by a NDA, and it'll probably never see the light of day, now.
If you or the Lady K have particular questions about dracoliches you'd like to pose to Ed in his thread, mind you . . . So long as he can answer them concisely rather than revealing the forbidden-hidden lore . . .
Ah, I'm such a subtle hinter.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  06:09:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ah, Sage, would that Ed could publish all his dracolich lore.
I know. And we'd love to read it.
quote:
Ed generated TONS of stuff. A LITTLE of it later got used in the CULT OF THE DRAGON sourcebook, but the rest of it TSR gratefully received, used in some small ways (such as a Dragonlance undead dragon in the pages of DRAGON, I believe), and otherwise . . . sat on. So they own it, it's covered by a NDA, and it'll probably never see the light of day, now.
I've been meaning to ask Ed about stuff like that, actually. I might do that now.
quote:
If you or the Lady K have particular questions about dracoliches you'd like to pose to Ed in his thread, mind you . . . So long as he can answer them concisely rather than revealing the forbidden-hidden lore . . .
Will do. And I'll let the Lady K know as well.
quote:
Ah, I'm such a subtle hinter.
So long as you don't tickle.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  08:01:25  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with the Starlight and Shadows series of novels. Elaine's one of the best to have written FR novels ever, and the series is a good mix of what makes the Realms tick (for me, at least) - some interaction with notable NPCs (the Blackstaff - still one of my faves), notable places (Waterdeep) but concentrating on the deeds of ordinary adventurers (well, relatively speaking...). That's the kind of stories the Realms are about.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  14:53:14  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would say the sities series.some great novels including the quite superb city of ravens.what is it about this book i live so much.no idea but i just do.temple hill is also great.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  14:54:04  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops poor spelling.im not really that stupid.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2009 :  21:10:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

oops poor spelling.im not really that stupid.

No worries! You will see loads of questionable spelling here. Just click the icon on the top portion of your post with the little pencil and you can then edit your posts. Hope you enjoy Candlekeep!

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  16:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It should be noted that my wife was a fantasy reader beforehand, but I started her in the Realms with the Songs and Swords series by Elaine Cunningham.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  19:03:42  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

i would say the sities series.some great novels including the quite superb city of ravens.what is it about this book i live so much.no idea but i just do.temple hill is also great.

I have read all of the FR books and this is my favorite also

Jack is one of the best (and funniest) FR protagonists

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000