Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cities of the Tashalar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  05:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow Sages,

Once again, I am seeking more information on the Tashalar (it's been awhile).

My biggest question is that there are no listed cities in any 3.x source other than Tashluta and Procalith (Referenced the FRCS, Serpent Kingdoms, and Shining South). There is no real theme to the naming, and I'm wondering if anyone has made any additional cities of either their own or any ideas for names (I'm terrible at naming cities).

Thanks
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  16:26:26  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tashalar is pretty much just the city of Tashluta and the Tashalar Basin, though some include the ruins of Procalith and the city of Narubel.

Outside of Tashluta, the basin supports a few small farming villages in the central valley and several large merchant estates, most of which are located on the flanks of the encircling peaks and along the northern shore. Most of the country estates of the wealthy merchant families include a hamlet just outside the villa walls.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  19:01:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed (creator of the Realms, Tashaluta, the Tashalar, et al), Procalith and Narubel should be included, plus the many, many trading "tent cities" along local roads (which come and go with caravan movements and the seasons [which govern some of the goods being traded in, and moved to markets by caravan]), and the many unmapped, unnamed-in-published-lore dwellings and domicile compounds ("villas," but that's not the local term) outside the cities. This is a region where many, many people live in walled compounds that enclose wells, orchards, stables, food gardens, and either a grand mansion plus smaller and more spartan servants' quarters, or multiple modest dwellings (along the inside of the encircling wall).
I've drawn this from Ed's notes. If you want to ask him more, post questions in his thread, and I'll ferry them to him (and bring back his replies, posting them there).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  19:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

According to Ed (creator of the Realms, Tashaluta, the Tashalar, et al), Procalith and Narubel should be included, plus the many, many trading "tent cities" along local roads (which come and go with caravan movements and the seasons [which govern some of the goods being traded in, and moved to markets by caravan]), and the many unmapped, unnamed-in-published-lore dwellings and domicile compounds ("villas," but that's not the local term) outside the cities. This is a region where many, many people live in walled compounds that enclose wells, orchards, stables, food gardens, and either a grand mansion plus smaller and more spartan servants' quarters, or multiple modest dwellings (along the inside of the encircling wall).
I've drawn this from Ed's notes. If you want to ask him more, post questions in his thread, and I'll ferry them to him (and bring back his replies, posting them there).
love,
THO

Done, although I wasn't quite so sure how to ask, so I posited it much like the original question here. Many thanks THO!

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  20:02:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just checked my Tashalar Map (which includes everything I have found), and thats about it, canon-wise.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  07:31:12  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just checked my Tashalar Map (which includes everything I have found), and thats about it, canon-wise.

I know Narubel is supposed to be somewhere on that map, do you know where?
Many thanks in advance.
/d

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  15:53:28  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

quote:

I know Narubel is supposed to be somewhere on that map, do you know where?
Many thanks in advance.
/d

Narubel is along the coast, but more to the west off the map, it's in the little indentation along where the coast runs to the northwest.

if you have the FRCS, and look at the big map on pages 100-101, it's just east of the western border of Thindol where that one foothill is sticking through the red line and just to east of that you will see a little indentation.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  15:55:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Narubel is on the Samarach Map.

Not sure what it has to do with the Tashalar, judging by the distance and intervening nations.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jan 2009 15:58:04
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  16:18:22  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure what it has to do with the Tashalar, judging by the distance and intervening nations.

Your answer can be found on page 10 of Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009) as well as Darkmeer's as Ed has already answered his question about Tashalar and some unmapped cities... more stuff to add to your maps there markustay
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  16:27:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

quote:

Your answer can be found on page 10 of Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009) as well as Darkmeer's as Ed has already answered his question about Tashalar and some unmapped cities... more stuff to add to your maps there markustay

I just finished reading that. If I added all those small settlements (holdings, really), the map would be too cluttered.

Also, I'm thinking about shifting the view of that particular map East by about an inch, or even combining it with the Samarach one (at least in part).

The road along the coast is interesting, but not really do-able with the lore regarding Labrand's Folly - since the creation of that artificial waterway, it would now bisect the road (and I don't really have room for a bridge there - at least not an icon for it).

When I do the higher-res versions of all the FR Maps (which I've begun), I'll have to set it up different, now that I know Narubel is part of Tashalar.

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2009 :  06:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

quote:

I just finished reading that. If I added all those small settlements (holdings, really), the map would be too cluttered.

Also, I'm thinking about shifting the view of that particular map East by about an inch, or even combining it with the Samarach one (at least in part).

The road along the coast is interesting, but not really do-able with the lore regarding Labrand's Folly - since the creation of that artificial waterway, it would now bisect the road (and I don't really have room for a bridge there - at least not an icon for it).

When I do the higher-res versions of all the FR Maps (which I've begun), I'll have to set it up different, now that I know Narubel is part of Tashalar.

I thank you for all of your help Markustay, and I agree about all the small holdings in the Tashalar would clutter your beautiful map needlessly. Reposting that map of Samarach helps with a campaign I'm running over at Paizo, as well as helps me figure out a few places that hadn't been mapped all that well in official source books (3.x, at least).

/d

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  07:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mark,

You just need to spell "Procalith" correctly on that map. At the time of viewing (10-02-2009 09:00 GMT+2) it still says "Proalith".

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  04:00:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted.

I haven't worked on any maps in over two weeks, but when I get back to them, that will be the first thing I correct...

.. and maybe add that coastal road.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  04:24:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well hop to it Markus!

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sinjin Oban
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2012 :  22:42:41  Show Profile Send Sinjin Oban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay's map answers a question I had about Narubel's location. Since the City of Seasnakes is described in Serpent Kingdoms as being "built into the seacaves that honeycomb the walls of a small natural harbor surrounded by steep cliffs", I wasn't sure if it was where Markustay places it, or in the next indentation to the northwest. I prefer Markustay's locaton.

Also, Narubel was founded by Tashlutans (ethnic Tashalarans and Calishites) and it is described as being on the western end of the Tashtan Coast. The Tashlutan based Rundeen consortium runs most of their pirate operations from Narubel. For these reasons, most people probably think of it as being part of the Tashalar. It is an independent city state. It is ruled in secret by yuan-ti purebloods of the Sauringar tribe. Narubel was the northern end of an overland trade route from Thindar until the yuan-ti isolated it from the rest of Thindol.

One last note: Serpent Kingdoms describes Labrand's Folly as a "subterranean waterway from the tip of Cape Talath to the head of the Thingulph". The head of the Thingulph would be in the Sanrach mountains, west of Thindar, correct? That is a long way.

Markustay seems to have it crossing to the River Guth in the Hazur range. The would make more sense. Or even the River Lundeth. Perhaps the entry in Serpent Kingdoms was meant to read "to the head of the Guthlangulf"?

Favored brat of Beshaba. (Which is just as awful as it sounds.)

Edited by - Sinjin Oban on 16 Aug 2012 19:51:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000