Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Permanency and MetaMagic Feats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Exploit
Acolyte

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  23:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Exploit's Homepage Send Exploit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does the Permanency spell work with spells that have metamagic feats applied?

In particular, if a Red Wizard uses his Circle Bonus Levels to heighten a Symbol of Persuasion to level 20 (thus increasing its DC) could the heightened spell be made Permanent?

On a side note, has anyone else had to deal with permanent Symbol spells placed upon moveable objects? If the symbol is activated and then moved does the area of effect move with it? If so then a permanent symbol of sleep could be used to wipe out entire armies of goblins and such by merely flying it overhead.

My best interpretation is that the symbol area of effect should be non-mobile once activated and that if the symbol is moved out of the area of effect then no new individuals should be affected because they cannot see the symbol but that existing effects continue as normal (ie the charm from a symbol of persuasion does not expire once a creature moves out of the area of effect). Once the symbol's normal activation time is expired then it can be reactivated in a new area.

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  04:11:39  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that metamagic feats may be applied to item creation, I see no reason why they wouldn't work with Permanency.

As far as movable symbols are concerned, I think they would need to be on an object that can be clearly observed. Therefore, flying it overhead may not affect anyone if there is no reason for them to look up. Unless their attention is somehow drawn to the sky, there would be no reason for a soldier to look up. Using a flying symbol in conjunction with catapults might be an interesting combination.
Also, if the symbol is flown so high or so quickly that it can't be clearly viewed, then it wouldn't have an effect. But putting the symbol on the banner of an army may work because a banner typically draws a lot of attention to it and is clearly visible to many. I think the affect would work on new targets as well because there aren't any articulated restrictions on a permanent symbol, and I think the xp cost combined with the fact that only relatively weak creatures can be affected offsets any imbalancing factors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000