Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Interesting article upcoming in Dragon #371
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RyldVrinn
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  15:17:10  Show Profile  Visit RyldVrinn's Homepage Send RyldVrinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When Races of Eberron came out, I liked the idea of Warforged. But I made a very special condition for the one player who wanted to play one, in place of his current character. It was a five game session quest to find the Three Singing Sisters - three artifact forges that were the only way one could make a warforged. After that, the group had to make a pact with the Guardian of the Well of All Souls to use the forges' gifts responsibly, or the Guardian would claim them, and the forges, to ensure mortal hands could never touch the Singing Sisters again.
The Three Singing Sisters were created in Netheril, and all lore about them and the warforged had been lost in the fall.

"Three brothers shall come from the East. Two be of dark skin, one be of light. But watch ye well, for Eilistraee's sons will change the face of Faerun for all time."
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  16:26:09  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I read that article...not very interesting at all. Just some stuff about how to adapt a story for these races in those worlds. Nothing concrete or official.

Darn. Oh well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  18:59:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Nothing concrete or official.
LOL...

I think that should be the 4e 'catch Phrase'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  21:44:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I read that article...not very interesting at all. Just some stuff about how to adapt a story for these races in those worlds. Nothing concrete or official.

Darn. Oh well.

How did they do it? Was there any attempt to ground them in existing lore, or was it a generic "here's how this race could be used in setting X"?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  23:43:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Darn. Oh well.

How did they do it? Was there any attempt to ground them in existing lore, or was it a generic "here's how this race could be used in setting X"?

Yeah, I'd like to hear about this as well.

Also, were there any examples of how these races would interact with existing Realms races?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  02:50:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the article gives examples of how a Warfordged character could be feasible within a realms campaign. most of the examples come as a rare construct type creature, left over from lost lands such as Lantan. Another example is of a warforged who found his way from Eberron to Faerun through Sigil.

The Genesi portion of the article talks more of how to fit that race into Eberron.

Interesting article, but nothing that locks Warforged into the realms in any significant numbers. Only very, very rare examples.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  02:58:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

the article gives examples of how a Warfordged character could be feasible within a realms campaign. most of the examples come as a rare construct type creature, left over from lost lands such as Lantan. Another example is of a warforged who found his way from Eberron to Faerun through Sigil.

Lantan is lost?

So, it's basically the same as what some of us have already come up with, from the sound of it.

quote:

Interesting article, but nothing that locks Warforged into the realms in any significant numbers. Only very, very rare examples.

Oh, that part doesn't bother me at all. I prefer that approach... The article I myself wrote only had two dozen of them being created -- and of the first dozen, nine were definitely destroyed, another is believed destroyed, and two are unaccounted for. The second dozen were built but the final activation never happened.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  03:18:47  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may have misspoke a tad about being "lost"

Lantan according to FRCG p. 162.

LANTAN’S REST
The great tsunamis that followed the shifting continents inundated Lantan as it ravaged other coasts and island nations. When the water receded, the island land was nearly gone. All its machines, its technology, and its people were drowned. The land is much reduced in area,and its clockwork marvels lie rusting below the waves. The pirates of Nelanther say a monster sinks any ship that draws near.

My example was just trying to portray Lantan as it was in the past, as one example of where A Warforged character could feasibly come out of.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  03:30:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting. Did the article elaborate at all on the experiences of the warforged in Sigil? I'd love to see how the warforged would react when it happened across the Great Foundry for example...

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  03:43:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Interesting. Did the article elaborate at all on the experiences of the warforged in Sigil? I'd love to see how the warforged would react when it happened across the Great Foundry for example...

A snippet from Dragon Magazine 371, Article: origin Stories, pertaining to Warforged traveling to Toril via Sigil.

Stranger in a Strange Land

"You followed clues and fleeting visions to creep behind the world, which is when you discovered Sigil, the City of Doors. You couldn’t imagine who could have created it or how, and Sigil held portals
uncounted, leading to other planes and even other worlds. It was a wondrously strange place whose sprawling streets looped around inside a mileswide ring so they met where they began. Creatures beyond count teemed in those streets, and you were one of them, but only briefly. Out of your element and unsettled by the sudden appearance of a woman bristling with living blades, you stumbled through a strange portal and fell into a strange land".

Character Motivations

"One or more primary desires might influence you. Return to Eberron: Though you were excited to find Sigil and even to travel to Toril, an entirely alternate world to your own dragon-prophesied home, you were dismayed to discover that no easy way back immediately presented itself. When you picked yourself up from the cobbles of a Waterdhavian alley, nothing remained of the passage. It went one way only".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  07:30:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it?!? They wrote an article that included a backstory that anyone could have thought up with about 5 seconds' time and a distraction?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  16:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that wasn't too impressive, was it?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  20:02:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I *was* going to post about the interview with Bruce Cordell and the 'Return of Acererak' in the Open Grave sourcebook for 4th Edition, but I find that I can't do it. Everything I tried typing turned into a rant and I don't want to rant anymore. So, if you want, check out the article. The first half discusses our favoritve one-eyed, one-handed evilness (Vecna). The second half is about the villain from the Tomb of Horrors.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  22:34:03  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's it?!? They wrote an article that included a backstory that anyone could have thought up with about 5 seconds' time and a distraction?

the example I showed was only one of several background possibilities from the article, but yes, for this specific example, it is it.

Edited by - scererar on 23 Jan 2009 22:36:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  23:31:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

the example I showed was only one of several background possibilities from the article, but yes, for this specific example, it is it.

Okay... Well, then for the other possibilities: are they more well-thought out and grounded in lore, or are they also generic attempts that anyone could come up with?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  20:19:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like the Rauthamari angle myself. Or use them as Terra Cotta Warriors from Shou-Lung (That is the right spot in Kara-Tur Markus?)

-Shifters would be the People of the Black Blood.

-Kalashtar(sp) would be from Jhaamdath or descendents of them that went into hiding. Doesn't Elminsters Ecologies have something about a Hidden City of Psionic Monks in the Stormhorns?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  21:57:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

the article seems like it's been done quickly

possibilities are:

One-Off Wizard Experiment

Lantan’s Remnant: You are a marvel of spirit-infused clockwork that
surpassed all Lantan’s previous craft.

Red Wizard Exclusive: produced by one enclave

Stranger in a Strange Land: arrived from Eberron, the Draconic Prophecy extends to FR

Vestige of Gontal: emerged from the destroyed fortress of a primordial

Shifters: in Dambrath, Luruar (People of the Black Blood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  22:19:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

quote:

possibilities are:

Stranger in a Strange Land: arrived from Eberron, the Draconic Prophecy extends to FR

Well, the one-off experiment idea isn't a bad one. And the Red Wizard idea is also decent. The Lantan and Eber-whatsit ideas are simply too obvious, though.

In fact, that's one thing that's bothered me in general about the 4E stuff: the sample backgrounds. I understand the intent, but most of the ones I've seen are a combination of bland and almost painfully obvious. It's almost like they're trying to dumb the game down to the point that role-playing is an afterthought.

Back on topic, I don't see a need to connect shifters to People of the Black Blood. It is an obvious connection, but it's not like the Realms doesn't have weres elsewhere. And it seems to me that most weres would be individuals, and not part of an organization -- so shifters can pop up in isolation, anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  22:22:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:

quote:

possibilities are:

-Thanks Quale.

BRIMSTONE(FREE CYRIC)

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  23:22:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Lantan and Eber-whatsit ideas are simply too obvious, though.

Well, one idea I've had on that angle is that it could be that the warforged in question is actually an evolved form of Gondsman [thanks, maybe, to the empathic link it shared with its creator Techsmith], originally crafted by the Lantanese of Illul. This particular Gondsman/warforged may have grown up from its infancy "assistant" stage... embracing the warrior-aspect of its make-up and embarking on a life of adventure all its own.

There's actually more to this idea, but I'm currently sitting on the majority of the theory until I've written up a proper article for inclusion here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  04:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more stuff I see come out for 4E the more I'm loathe it. Many of the points given about their obvious lack of creativity in their work shows, at least to me, they are not interested in the roleplaying aspect of the game anymore and more interested in just making another wargame. Which is fine, but they just should have said that up front then waste people's time and money. Any case, Sage, good luck with your work on that idea. Looks like you got a good start I'll be interested in reading it once you post it up to see your take on things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  05:03:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

The Lantan and Eber-whatsit ideas are simply too obvious, though.

Well, one idea I've had on that angle is that it could be that the warforged in question is actually an evolved form of Gondsman [thanks, maybe, to the empathic link it shared with its creator Techsmith], originally crafted by the Lantanese of Illul. This particular Gondsman/warforged may have grown up from its infancy "assistant" stage... embracing the warrior-aspect of its make-up and embarking on a life of adventure all its own.

There's actually more to this idea, but I'm currently sitting on the majority of the theory until I've written up a proper article for inclusion here at Candlekeep.

Speaking of articles on that particular topic...

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  05:05:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going through the map galleries for the new Dungeon magazines and came across this gem of a map from Dungeon 161.

WHY would you create a map that shows a street going diagonal to the map grid? I understand the road is not built along the north-south or east-west lines, but are you serious? North is up, so you have to make movement MORE difficult for the miniatures? How hard would it be to show the road inline with the map grid and offset the COMPASS key?

I don't know if this was laziness or if the designer was trying to be difficult or something.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  05:14:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Speaking of articles on that particular topic...
Believe it or not, I had some time early yesterday morning to start on that. But then I encountered one of the nuisance ASP errors when I tried to post. And since I've had to deactivate the post buffers I've installed in SageBrowser, I lost my reply.

Better luck next time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000