Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Forgotten realms maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guy
Acolyte

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  16:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Guy's Homepage Send Guy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

Back at 1988 I had the wonderful Forgotten Realms box set with great, detailed and useful 4 maps, today I started playing again, bought the 3.5 campaign setting and the player quiet to the realm, but the only thing I got was a not so well detailed map.
Does anyone know how I can buy good maps of the realm?

Many thanks.
Guy.

Mod edit: I relocated this scroll from the ethers to this area.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Jan 2009 21:19:57

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  21:38:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buy? You could try eBay.

But I recommend checking out the maps on Candlekeep's home page or some of the maps from the various books published (most are free from the Art and Map Gallery archive on WotC). Save `em to a thumb drive and then get them professionally printed out at your local Staples/Office Max/etc. type of store for a couple of bucks.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  03:08:36  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
some of my favorite realms maps to this day are in the Forgotten Realms Atlas (the paper one). You can still find it at a reasonable price on ebay and similar sites.

Go to Top of Page

Guy
Acolyte

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  19:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Guy's Homepage Send Guy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

some of my favorite realms maps to this day are in the Forgotten Realms Atlas (the paper one). You can still find it at a reasonable price on ebay and similar sites.

Thanks for the answer guys, just to make sure I understood correctly, there are no "poster size" maps you can buy in the 3.5 edition, unless they are part of one of the books, if there is one (there is no such map in the player guide to the realm).

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  20:41:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true. But like I said before, the image files that you can download are usually high-enough resolution that they can be printed out to poster-size.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  20:55:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the highest Res one available at the WiotC site is only 72dpi, which is pretty crappy for printing.

I was doing all of mine at that (to sync-up with the official map), but I got some complaints about printing quality (at large sizes), so I bumped it up to 140dpi (still sub-optimal, but I'm probably going to go 200 in the near future).

The four-parter that was in Dragon magazine isn't available anymore (last time I checked, they only had two pieces left).

The one scererar is referring to is This One. which someone did a bang-up job pasting back together from the book).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  21:34:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the file listed as 150 dpi on the site opens up in Photoshop (with 72 dpi) at over 66"x44", so it should print out nice. Most of the map gallery maps are a bit smaller, but I can personally attest that the Shadowdale maps in from the adventure book's gallery print out very nice as mini-posters (17 x 11)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  02:22:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Actually, the highest Res one available at the WiotC site is only 72dpi, which is pretty crappy for printing.

I was doing all of mine at that (to sync-up with the official map), but I got some complaints about printing quality (at large sizes), so I bumped it up to 140dpi (still sub-optimal, but I'm probably going to go 200 in the near future).

The four-parter that was in Dragon magazine isn't available anymore (last time I checked, they only had two pieces left).

The one scererar is referring to is This One. which someone did a bang-up job pasting back together from the book).

yep, that is the the one. The Atlas has many more that are just excellent.

to the OP, you might check out a PDF version of the 2nd Edition FR setting. then you could print out and tape the maps, which were also good. Probably won't get much larger than what is in the back of the FRCS though.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  18:50:10  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the 4 part FR map was from Dragon issues 287-290 and you might be able to find them for sale besides from WotC...

Edited by - rjfras on 07 Jan 2009 18:52:18
Go to Top of Page

Guy
Acolyte

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  18:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Guy's Homepage Send Guy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks all, you scholars have been a great help :)

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  20:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the 4-part map as a set from eBay for next-to-nothing.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  19:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget the Waterdeep Trail Map, which is a fantastic wall poster.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000