Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  22:05:56  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I was talking in jest, Blueblade.
I know Susan is capable - she is one of the people who judge the LFR adventure summaries.
So far, she has given good comments and not shot down any of my ideas... yet. :P

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  17:34:22  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
The eye on te Realms article is up, but sadly only half of it is published:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/duad/20091210b

The pdf stops after page 2.
Hopefully they fix this.
I admit it is tempting to use the Flame Door.
I am wondering what the Flame Door's position is with respect to the Shades.
Work with them? Against them? Both?
And how deal with existing organsiations, such as the Six Coffers Market Priakos (controlled by Mirabeta Selkirk)?

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  17:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oops. Sorry about that, gomez. My bad.
I have (surprise) another question for Ed and our lovely Lady Hooded:
Would it be possible to provide us with the names of a few (er, if there are any) Cormyrean nobles who are staunchly loyal to the Crown, circa just-pre-Spellplague, whom the Obarskyrs KNOW are loyal, and trust (as much as they dare to trust anyone)?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  17:37:42  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
A Waterdeep question from me, this time, also just before the Spellplague. Are there, at that time, any really widely known satirical ditties being sung in the city ridiculing city personalities? Something impolite, but with a tune that if hummed or whistled, without actual words, even "respectable" citizens (and nobles ) will recognize?
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  19:45:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I have a question for Mr Greenwood.
will there be any Eyes on the Realms on Myth Drannor?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  23:47:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Another raft of excellent questions . . . and off they all go to Ed.
sfdragon, I doubt Ed is legally allowed to reveal what future columns will cover. I do know he's done ten or twelve of them already, so if Myth Drannor isn't among them, it may well be a year before Ed would get a chance to do it.
"If," I emphasize.
Right now, Ed is out ploughing (or plowing, if you prefer) icy snow, so he won't spend a THIRD day housebound. Not that he hasn't got a lot of juicy writing accomplished...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  23:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Is there anything you can tell me about a War Wizard named Imcathra Haelant? The name sounds female, but it's all I have. (From notes taken from a VERY-dimly-remembered talk with Ed in the Marriott lounge about two GenCons ago.)
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  01:32:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Ed my question regards Oghma, how does his clergy not face the most opposition due to his dogma of bringing what is hidden and kept secretive to light? Is secrecy used by his clergy/followers to accomplish a means to an end, fight fire with fire strategem? Does he make pacts with the more good aligned deities, they agree to part with certain information/secrets in order to continue with their more crucial endeavors without interference? Or do the other deities simply do their best to handle Oghma's meddling, I would think Shar's followers in particular would take extreme prejudice when they came across an Oghmyte, am I wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  18:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Are there any famous/infamous/legendary cases of people being murdered in Waterdeep by being hurled down wells? Are there any publicly-known cases of people who shouldn't have been in Castle Waterdeep being founded dead/murdered there?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  18:35:19  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm curious if the Sword Coast trade-roads have anything like a fast-responding "emergency breakdown service" for wagons, who come to the site of the damaged conveyance and do roadside repairs? Or rent or sell on-the-spot replacements?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  18:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed,
Have you seen the new Cameron movie, AVATAR, yet? Are you interested in the concept? It's hardly groundbreaking to any sf fan, I know, but what do you think of how the ideas were handled?
Go to Top of Page

A Publishing Lackey
Seeker

74 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  18:40:50  Show Profile  Visit A Publishing Lackey's Homepage Send A Publishing Lackey a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
In the years preceding the Spellplague, in Cormyr, Sembia, the Dales, and the Moonsea, how advanced is forensics? Are "fingerprints" known? Are Legend Lore or Stone Tell or other magics often used to help solve crimes ("who was there")?
Anything at all you can hint or say about this would be helpful. I'm wondering how authorities handle "ticklish" cases (murder involving highborn or envoys as suspects, etc., politically sensitive thefts and violence, and so on).
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2009 :  15:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear THO,
Are there aspects of the Realms or places and people in them that Ed as your DM has really brought to life, prominently in the "home" campaign, that haven't really received much notice or prominence in the published Realms?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  16:16:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring a brief Ed reply to Baleful Avatar re. AVATAR:

No, I haven't seen it yet. Way too busy with work and holiday family stuff to try to finagle my way into a press preview. The concept is, as you say, hardly new (hey, neither was TITANIC, being as we all knew going in that the ship sinks), but the execution, based on the "long trailer" I've seen so far, looks superb. So does what little I've glimpsed of the computer game (animation a cut above the standard thus far). I really can't tell you about the story or my overall impressions/judgement until I see it, of course, but I WILL be going to see it. Eagerly.

So saith Ed. Who lives in a rural area, and so has more limited opportunities to take in a particular movie on big screens than he did when he lived in "the Big Smoke" (Toronto - - and for the Americans on this forum, Toronto is the third-largest North American city; it's smaller than New York or LA but bigger than Chicago, and has more of the "feel" of the Windy City than the other two cities).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  16:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Arre toboggans (and their use as a fun, downhill run activity) known and used in the Realms? If so, what are they called?
I seem to remember from an Ed talk that sleds and sledges, which are essentially the same item, are used for overland travel carrying goods across snow and ice-covered ground.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  16:58:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Earlier this year (I’m sorry, but I’m away from both my computer and proper display access to the Forum right now; I hope Sage or Wooly or someone can “fill in the gap” as to just when; I know it was revisited on page 92 of this year’s thread, but that wasn’t when it was first asked), Menelvagor asked Ed, in part, this: “Rereading Elminster In Hell, I noticed this: On page 30, El has a memory where he bows over an elven woman who's deathly wounded. Silver Fire springs around her. What is interresting, however, is that it comes from her, not El. Who is this elf?”
(BTW, the page number Menelvagor cites is from the paperback edition of EL IN HELL, not the hardcover.) I consulted with Ed and provided this reply: “Menelvagor, Ed tells me that the dying elf woman in question is, to borrow your words, "someone else entirely." Unfortunately, she's also NDA. So we have a battlefield (in the past, Ed hints at least a few centuries, and we have a dying elf female known to El and dear to him, and yes, she certainly seems to be a Chosen . . .
Ed wishes very much he could say more.”
Well, now he can. So, scribes, NDAs DO fall. Once in a proverbial blue moon. Heeeeeere’s Ed!

The battlefield in that brief memory fragment was somewhere in the upper Delimbiyr valley (on the eastern bank of the river, a little south of halfway between The Shining Falls and Hellgate Keep). The date was 882 DR, the Year of the Curse. The strife was the battle of Blades Afire (so named for a mighty high magic elven spell that made magical fire leap from sword to sword wielded by the elves, enabling them to do greater damage to the demons from Ascalhorn they fought), wherein elves of Eaerlann defeated a demon army.
It was a Pyrrhic victory; the elves won the day, but their heavy losses left them unable to properly defend their realm against future attacks, whereas the demon force they exterminated was but a part of Ascalhorn’s strength - - so after Blades Afire, Eaerlann was doomed.
The dying moon elf in Elminster’s arms, who spent her strength in several great magics during the fray, ensuring the elven victory but sacrificing herself in the doing (she left herself unprotected against demonic counter-attacks), was Duethaea Lauraunfeir (pronounced “Doo-eth-AY-ah Lore-AWN-fear”), a Chosen of Mystra whom Elminster had recruited and trained. She was young, vigorous, and strong in Art and will, but driven by her emotions, described as “spirited” and even “difficult” by her own family.
Duethaea and El were close friends but never lovers, El regarded her as a daughter, and he thought her foolish to sacrifice herself for her land, though he understood why she made that decision (“’Tis unusual, indeed, for an elf to take the shorter view, and not cleave to the longer”) and later came to respect her for it. Duethaea was tall, “rapier-thin,” and preferred to go about in a battered old leather human warriors’ greatcoat, that came down to her ankles.
She fashioned several multi-function magical bracers that enabled her to fly and hurl an array of battle spells, she had a “hard-bitten” face rather than great beauty, and far more than other moon elves of that time and place, she loved to drink ale and stronger beverages, befriend and spend time with halflings and dwarves, and keep close watch over ever-expanding human settlements and activities in the Sword Coast North, trying to see the wisest future for her realm and her people (and increasingly coming to the view that living with humans was better than fighting them and seeking to keep them out of the High Forest).

So saith Ed. And there you have it, bright new (or rather, long-hidden) Realmslore!
Ed tells me there are still more as-yet-unrevealed or -detailed Chosen, but VERY few of them were still alive by the 1350s (in other words, don’t expect to learn of many “secret hidden Chosen dwelling among us” during the decades extensively detailed in published pre-4th Edition Realmslore).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  17:24:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all!
Earlier this year (I’m sorry, but I’m away from both my computer and proper display access to the Forum right now; I hope Sage or Wooly or someone can “fill in the gap” as to just when; I know it was revisited on page 92 of this year’s thread, but that wasn’t when it was first asked),

Page 19, on the 23rd of February.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2009 :  23:51:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Hi again, all!
Earlier this year (I’m sorry, but I’m away from both my computer and proper display access to the Forum right now; I hope Sage or Wooly or someone can “fill in the gap” as to just when; I know it was revisited on page 92 of this year’s thread, but that wasn’t when it was first asked),

Page 19, on the 23rd of February.

Given Alaundo's extended absence, and the lack of access to compiled '09 replies files for Ed's scroll, I've been thinking about offering them, temporarily at least, via a sub-section of my work website. But I recall had much trouble Kuje had with downloads and bandwidth and site access when he allowed for much the same during his time as compiler of Ed's replies. So unless I can come up with an alternative, we'll all just have to wait until Alaundo finds the spare time needed to upload the rest of the '08 and '09 compilation files to Candlekeep.

As it is, I'll apologise on his behalf for the delay. He's just too busy with non-Candlekeep related stuff at the moment. But rest assured, it's among the first few items on his and my "To-Do" list once he gets back.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  16:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Are there book copying services available in Suzail? As in, a stranger arrives on the doorstep, willing to pay and with a tenday or more to wait, who DOESN'T HAVE a copy of a fairly-well-known Common Tongue book, but is willing to pay for one . . . are there scribes who have copies of such works and will copy out another copy for someone who pays?
For that matter, are there large and well-stocked bookstores? Street vendors?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  16:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Thanks for asking that question, BA! It reminded me of something I've wanted to ask Ed for a long time.
Ed, THO, any scribes who read this, please feel free to chime in...
For a long time now, I've had vague memories of Ed once writing something about a book that has some secret or other hidden in it (NOT a spell or spellbook with magically-concealed/disguised pages).
The problem is, I can't track it down. Volo's guides, I thought, but I can't find it.
Anyone remember this?
Ed, is my mind playing tricks on me? (Er, about this, I mean. )
Thank you, all!

Edited by - Malcolm on 15 Dec 2009 16:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  16:43:02  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Hello dear friend Hooded, and hello of course to you Ed.

Well Ed, hopefully you are not still digging out of the snow there in Coburg, though those of us here in "Big Smoke" lol lol never heard Toronto refered that way before, still have escaped snow.

Let me first take this opportunity before I ask my question to extend to you both my friends sincerest wishes of a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and that 2010 bring you joy, lots of love, health above success(heehee since you are already successful in our view), and that long lost projects you have been itching to get out for years finally see the light.

Here is my question...

In Lisa's last novel, Qilue is killed. Now Laeral mentions in that book that technically it she cannot be killed like that. Now correct me if I am wrong, but since Mystra differed to Eilistraee Qilue's fate, and her soul is lost according to the novel, does that mean that she is destroyed fully or Mystra somehow took her in?

Now I think we all know that Mystra has been murdered, so will there be a novel or a series of novels pertaining to her murder? I think most of us would like to know the circumstances around that and how that will trully impact FR. After all I think even the Gods are having trouble channelling their energy to Faerun because Mystra is no longer there? Why didn't Mystra have prepared another vessel in case she was killed to infuse her power in order for a new Mystra, like all the other times it has happened?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  18:24:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Bruce, you pose some very good questions, all of which have been asked before and that the answer to are NDA, I'm afraid.
So let me just say this:
It SEEMS to me, from the responses I've had from Ed and from various Wizards staffers I've asked at cons, that there won't be a novel or series of novels describing Mystra's demise/destruction. It appears that WotC has decided to "jump over" the cause of the Spellplague, the cataclysm itself, and its immediate aftermath, and move on into a later era in the Realms when it comes to storytelling.
I also have a more than sneaking suspicion that although we may never learn all the details of the whys and hows and Mystra's plans or safeguards or forethought or lack of same, that this story isn't quite finished yet...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  19:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
One thing that's always puzzled me is...what happens to PC paladins of a deity killed or "vanished" in the Spellplague?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  21:40:50  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
Where can we read up as to what really happened in the Spellplague and what exactly it is?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2009 :  23:29:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Where can we read up as to what really happened in the Spellplague and what exactly it is?

You mean beyond what was included in the online DRAGON articles at WotC and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Dec 2009 23:32:44
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  00:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
I also have a more than sneaking suspicion that although we may never learn all the details of the whys and hows and Mystra's plans or safeguards or forethought or lack of same, that this story isn't quite finished yet...

This ignites in me the very faint hope that we may not have seen the last of Mystra in the Realms.

By Tymora, I think she might make a come back.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  00:35:12  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
You know, it's nice to see a NDA actually fall. I thought that
they never will.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  01:48:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Ed I assume you helped with much of the lore and characters mentioned in "Blackstaff" novel. Can you elaborate on any of the mages, chars mentioned in that novel like Gamalon, Turlun and more importantly a WHAT IF query. Say in home campaign some of these mages met their end, who would have been YOUR replacements for them and can you elaborate on the replacements? Basically who was Kehlben's or better yet Mystra's second unit if something happened to first unit?
Go to Top of Page

draethe
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  02:41:21  Show Profile  Visit draethe's Homepage Send draethe a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Yes thats exactly what im hoping. That there is more twists to play out after mystra's downfall. Hopefully the new elminster novel will enlighten us more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2009 :  03:15:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello,

Ed I assume you helped with much of the lore and characters mentioned in "Blackstaff" novel. Can you elaborate on any of the mages, chars mentioned in that novel like Gamalon, Turlun and more importantly a WHAT IF query. Say in home campaign some of these mages met their end, who would have been YOUR replacements for them and can you elaborate on the replacements? Basically who was Kehlben's or better yet Mystra's second unit if something happened to first unit?

Gamalon Idogyr was Steven Schend's creation -- he was, I believe, Steven's first D&D character.

Tulrun was written up long-ago in a two-part Polyhedron article. I happen to have both issues, but there appears to be some dropped text in the article, and I've not been able to find anything on that dropped text.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000