Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  16:28:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
ZandroAmanodel,
off the top of my head I can tell you that many brothels and herbalists offer inexpensive "herbed bath" or "herb steambath" services, which always include a "rubdown" (deep hand massage). Many, many travelers and street-dwelling poor use these services regularly to get clean, get their clothes washed, get warm, and have aches and pains seen to; for some, it's what makes their lives (of having little, and being in contact with folk who have so much more) bearable. So that part of what chiropractors do (the application of heat, and massage) is in part covered by these relatively inexpensive services (usually 1 cp for a bath or a massage, and 2 cp for both with washing and "ovenboard" drying thrown in; "ovenboard" drying is laying wet clothing out flat on boards heated by proximity to an oven or hearth or chimney, to rapidly dry, the clothes being moved to new dry hot surfaces several times to speed the process).
This comes from my Realmslore notes imparted by Ed during play. I will of course relay your query to him to see if any "medical" chiropractor equivalents are present in the Realms, or anyone (besides the obvious trained monks) who knows and uses application of precise amounts of pressure in specific places, to loosen muscles and treat pain.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  17:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Are there "windowbox" flowers seen anywhere in Suzail? If so, what sorts of flowers are the most popular? (And if they're created fantasy varieties, what colors are they and what do they look like?)
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  16:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
This is an important question, and if anyone can answer it, I'll be glad. I looked in the Code of Conduct, and in the FAQ, but none of them told me what to do.
What do I do if I find the complete text of one of the Forgotten Realms boks on the web? Who am I supposed to go to? Am I supposed to send a message to someone? And this is very important, because I just found the complete (or so it seems from the brief perusal I gave it) text of Elminster in Myth Drannor while searching on the internet.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  17:01:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

This is an important question, and if anyone can answer it, I'll be glad. I looked in the Code of Conduct, and in the FAQ, but none of them told me what to do.
What do I do if I find the complete text of one of the Forgotten Realms boks on the web? Who am I supposed to go to? Am I supposed to send a message to someone? And this is very important, because I just found the complete (or so it seems from the brief perusal I gave it) text of Elminster in Myth Drannor while searching on the internet.

I would start with contacting WotC's Customer Service, and ask them where to direct you. They are the ones who hold the rights to the IP, and they're the ones with the lawyers to sic on people illegally sharing such material.

In the meantime, keep yourself out of trouble by not sharing the link or the pirated material with anyone. Sharing it could cause lots of legal issues for you, for whoever you share it with, and whoever facilitates that sharing (in other words, people, PM'ing him to ask for the info could cause us trouble).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  17:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
hank you very much Wooly. I'll do it. And what you say is precisely why I didn't post a link. And I'm also sorry for posting this here, but it was the speediest way i could think of getting a good answer.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  17:32:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

hank you very much Wooly. I'll do it. And what you say is precisely why I didn't post a link. And I'm also sorry for posting this here, but it was the speediest way i could think of getting a good answer.

No worries, my friend. We're here to help.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Dec 2009 17:32:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  23:33:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Heh. I was actually thinking about this the other day, when contacted by another scribe via PM re: a similar situation.

I think I'll probably need to add a section to the CoC specifically for this.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  23:42:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would start with contacting WotC's Customer Service, and ask them where to direct you. They are the ones who hold the rights to the IP, and they're the ones with the lawyers to sic on people illegally sharing such material.
I'd also recommend a quick message to the author of the pirated text in question, if you're able. I've seen similar suggestions elsewhere -- especially regarding illegally distributed BattleTech material. Some authors are keen on this, because they often have access to official legal channels that can correct the copyright breach quickly and surely. However, I don't recommend you attempt this UNLESS you're certain they can and are willing to help. There's no need to heap this kind of problem on their shoulders without their consent first.

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  22:10:39  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I got a look at the WotC flyer that showed the cover for Elminster Must Die.
In particular intiguing was the subtext: 'Sage of Shadowdale Book 1' (if I remember correctly).
I assume NDA's limit what Ed can comment, but that is at the least interesting. :P
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  00:46:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Was it the Summer 2010 one Gomez?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  01:22:28  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Brimstone, the subtitle "The Sage of Shadowdale Book 1" certainly appears on the colour cover of ELMINSTER MUST DIE that's printed in my copy of the 2010 Summer Catalog from Wizards (spread on pages 8 and 9, the cover being on page 8).
Interesting indeed . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  01:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Interesting, but not at all surprising.
You'd expect Wizards to try to sign Ed to a multi-book contract, and their recent publishing pattern is trilogies for authors writing about signature characters, and quartets of themed stand-alone books. So just as RAS has trilogy after trilogy about Drizzt, most of them following chronologically after the preceding trilogy rather than jumping about in time, this is probably Ed doing an Elminster trilogy.
I'm expecting NDAs prevent him from saying much of anything, but I'm going to guess that this is post-Spellplague, and I'm even going to speculate farther, and say that it will probably have Cormyr in it, because Ed seems to have unfinished business there, and that I expect we'll learn something about the fates/futures of some more of the "core" Chosen (more beyond El and The Simbul, I mean), even if only in passing.
Beyond that, my speculations go from "gut hunches" to the usual shopping list of what I'd love to see Ed cover in an Elminster novel . . . so I'll stop.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  04:16:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Brimstone, the subtitle "The Sage of Shadowdale Book 1" certainly appears on the colour cover of ELMINSTER MUST DIE that's printed in my copy of the 2010 Summer Catalog from Wizards (spread on pages 8 and 9, the cover being on page 8).
Interesting indeed . . .
BB

Thanks I did not remember seeing that part. I guess I was entranced by the Cover.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ZandroAmanodel
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  04:48:49  Show Profile  Visit ZandroAmanodel's Homepage Send ZandroAmanodel a Private Message
Thanks much for the info, THO! I look forward to hearing more from Ed himself, and in the meantime I'll entertain myself with pleasant fantasies of hot rubdowns.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  18:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Beside Vangerdahast and Caladnei, are there any well-known (as in, citizens in Arabel, Marsember, and Suzail can pretty much be expected to have heard their name, and know what organization they belong to) War Wizards, just-pre-Spellplague?
Thanks in advance for anything you can share on this.
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  18:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I recall listening to you talk about Tharsult years back, at a convention. Do you have any really big plots or power groups or important events up your sleeve about this strategic trading island, that haven't been published yet? If so, could you hint or even spill major beans about them?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  18:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I need the name (and a little about the notoriety) of any Highknight of Cormyr who's known to have turned traitor, or been caught up in a scandal and seen as guilty/dishonest/disloyal in some way.
Sure, I can invent one, but I'd just as soon stick with canon if you have any candidates in mind, published or unpublished.
No rush on this. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  18:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Does Cormyr have any sort of equivalent to a passport, for frequent travelers who don't happen to be the envoys of foreign governments? Do any priesthoods issue "the bearer of this really IS our Magnificent Plenipotentary Most Holy of X" documents?
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 07 Dec 2009 22:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  22:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ah! Here comes another one . . .
Are there any "black sheep" courtiers in Cormyr, gone missing after a revealed swindle, mistake, treason, or just an operational screw-up, in the five years or so before the Spellplague hits?
Thanks!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 07 Dec 2009 23:44:37
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  23:49:32  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I'm hoping Ed can spill a teaser or two about his forthcoming Elminster novel. Anything at all?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  23:51:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem. Hi, all.
Well, Malcolm, there MIGHT be a ghost in it.
And I'd be very surprised if it didn't have several wizards in it (beyond the two we already know about, of course).
Yet I'll see what I can get Ed to reveal, in my usual winsome way . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  00:11:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ooh, ooh, I bet Elminster smokes his pipe in it, too, and refers to someone as "ye"!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  00:17:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ooh, ooh, I bet Elminster smokes his pipe in it, too, and refers to someone as "ye"!

Heh. Maybe that's why it's titled Elminster Must Die!. He finally learned about the long-term dangers involved with smoking his pipe.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  00:26:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
This, from Ed:

I'm afraid I can't say anything at all about ELMINSTER MUST DIE! without clearing it first with Wizards. Sorry.
I might let slip that before editing, the book did have a "ye" or two in it.
But then again, I might not. :}

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on something Realms-ian that he can't (of course) tell me about. Which is frustrating but bodes well for us all in the long run . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  06:55:29  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
So Susan is editing out the "ye"s?
Tsk.

Gomez,
who is currently reading Wrath of the Blue Lady (it's a fine read so far).
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  23:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
Just a quick query that was suggested by a recent reread of Silverfall (a book that never fails to bring a smile... and the occasional sympathetic wince to my face, by the way) and was wondering about the past of the not-so-young Taern Hornblade, follow in footsteps (with his lips anyway) of Alustriel. I had remembered, accurately it seems, a reference to a "reckless youth" in Silver Marches and being fond of him (and of any character who serves with love from love) I had wondered about the details. Having spent a few hours searching what materials I have at hand I came up with nothing. Is there any possibility you could shed any illumination on the subject for me?

Your humble (and awe filled) servant, Iluvrien

Edited by - Iluvrien on 08 Dec 2009 23:49:29
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  08:29:05  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
So this is a question that I've struggled with asking (mainly worrying over the phrasing, hoping to elicit as much info as possible, without offending any scribes) but one I'd love to see an answer to.
We all know that the Realms are (mostly) far more freewheeling when it comes to sexuality than most of our real world. I have always taken it as read that most kinks/fetishes are (again, mostly) openly, or open-secretly, tolerated or endorsed by the populace. For instance, 3 somes, 4 somes (and More-somes) seem to be rather commonplace, and openly accepted by the average Faerunian. Not to say that Husband A wants Wife B to be one of the participants (unless he is invited too, maybe) but again, on the whole, it seems that we can guess that common kinks are mostly accepted/tolerated.
The question, then is this: What sort of intimate activity would be regarded as 'deviant' by (say) the average Cormyrian or Waterdhavian? Does this change from social class to class? In other words, is it expected that the nobility will be 'kinkier' but that commons 'should be more 'grounded' or 'normal'? Also, are there intimate acts which are universally reviled across Faerun? For instance, can we assume that things that we find reprehensible (like rape and incest) are likewise held to be universal crimes, or are there places in Faerun where there acts are tolerated, or even the norm? Of course, being as magic is always a differential when calculating how Realmsian values differ from our own, are there magically-enabled sex acts which are frowned upon or even illegal(Shapechangeing alone seems to offer a load of possible new fetishes)?
Again, any light you'd be willing to shed would be useful in allowing (at least) this DM to get a better handle on Realmsian thinking.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  16:01:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hey, now, gomez, I wouldn't assume that "ye-s" are being edited out. I think it was just Ed being both coy AND careful. As in, even if he was free to talk about the upcoming El novel as much as he wanted to, he'd not promise something would appear in it when there IS an editorial process that could affect that. Being as Ed has praised Susan in this thread, I don't think he's taking any sort of aim at her.
I just wish there was something we could do to get some teasers out of Ed about the book. Short of buying Wizards of the Coast, that is, being as my wallet is a little lean this month.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  16:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Watching a recent episode of a TV program wherein a servant of a noble family either killed to protect the family reputation or claimed to have done the killing to shield the real murderer who was a family member, I'd like to ask just how deep the loyalty of longtime retainers (say, servants who have lived with and served the same noble family for generations, as the TV show servant was portrayed as having done/been) in Cormyr is? I realize that I'm asking for a generalization and it will vary with each individual servant and with every noble family, but some of Cormyr's nobles have been portrayed as so unsavoury or "casually, constantly rude" by Ed in his Realms fiction that I'm really curious as to how much they'd be backed up by their 'most loyal' retainers?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  16:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hmm. That spurs me to ask a question: if a servant is ordered by his/her Cormyrean noble master to commit a crime, and they do so, is obedience any sort of defense for them? Are their masters liable in any way (if there's not much doubt that the servant WAS ordered to do whatever the deed was)? And how often does this happen in cormyr, just pre-Spellplague? If a servant CLAIMED to have been ordered to, say, murder someone, how likely is it that general public opinion, among Cormyreans who heard about it, would believe the servant's claim if the noble family denied it?
Ah, I love the depths of the Realms. Whenever I start to think about things like this, the richness deepens, and MORE questions pop up . . .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000