Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  03:28:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

<chop>
1) Ed, with regardt to the Uthgardt... no, no typo, just me being silly... how close is what was published over the years (particularly as seen in the original Savage Frontier supplement and as written by Bob Salvatore) to what your Uthgardt are like? I'm developing the long-term ancestry of two of my original 1E Realms PC's (brothers) and I have a theory... and I'm curious as to (a) how close that publication/origination correspondence is, and (b) how you would characterize the Uthgardt language in relation to Earth languages? I know you've said in the past that you have tried to keep your fictional cultures and languages as non-derivative as possible (and succeeded quite well at this, imho, knowing what I know about the published Mulhorand, Unther, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara). <snip>

I've managed to answer this one myself, having found a very old scroll here at the 'Keep that describes the Uthgardt as being Paul Jaquays' creation. One less question for Ed to deal with, and I'll give my questions quoted above the answers that I want.

Edit: And I'd forgotten about the distinction between the Uthgardt and the Reghedmen... silly of me, what with Wulfgar not having black hair and all... regardless, my question's answered, so strike it from the list.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 02:13:44
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  19:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ed, I assume rainbows exist in the Realms. Do Moonbows http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap010704.html? And if so, are they venrated by any religion, for example Sehanine?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  01:16:15  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Ed, I assume rainbows exist in the Realms.
Rainbows do indeed exist in the Realms, though they're a little different to those of Earth.

As Ed explains:-
quote:
Yes, rainbows in the Realms do differ from those of our real world, but only VERY slightly. Essentially you can think of them as the same (same spectra bands, same conditions for their appearance, et cetera). The presence of the Shards and the slightly different Torilian lunar situation make rainbows in the Realms shine much more brightly and persist in visibility longer than they do in our real world, with a longer “pink and purple” fadeout as they do dwindle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Aug 2009 01:17:02
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  02:09:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Since I've mentioned it elsewhere, and am now curious, I may as well ask Ed (although I'm expecting "NDA" as my answer):

quote:
From page 55 of Book 1: The Wilderness in the 2E boxed set The North:
The only building that weather the centuries without scars is an eerie, black pyramid that pulses and flickers with a sickly green radiance.

Does this pyramid (edit: found in the ruins of Karse; sorry ) have anything to do with Wulgreth? Phylactery, for instance? (Assuming, of course, that this particular pyramid was not the creation of someone else.)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 17:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  15:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Hello again, Mr. Greenwood and Lady THO. I actually have a couple of old questions that I'd like to ask if that's all right. My first question is: What year was it when Storm and Elminster went to the magefair? I think it was before the Time of Troubles, but just wanted to make sure.

My second question comes from a module that is my absolute favorite ever that Mr. Greenwood himself wrote, though I've never found anyone that would run the adventure. I've always wanted to take Joran through there at low level in 2nd Edition. The module is the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. I was always interested in the young woman Miior that was in temporal stasis and wondered if perhaps you could give us a little more information about who she is, her background, and also what the year was when she was put in stasis.

Oh, and one last question if that's all right too. I had a character that met Storm once for a few minutes in a campaign, but the adventure wound up being ran only one night, sadly. It made me wonder... what kind of man would it take to win the Lady Bard's heart? I appreciate both your time and also Lady THO's. Thank you both so much!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2905 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  18:06:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
THO, I heard Ed went to Gencon this year. What about you. If so what did you and Ed think about this one.

Spoil us, spoil, spoil us.

Any tidbits to share from the Realms Seminar from Ed and maybe you if you went?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  04:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Pierre-Luc's Homepage Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Does anyone know of current (1479 DR) schools of magic in Cormyr or the Dalelands? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  04:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Now I know I'm not Ed, but I'm putting my oar in here to see how close I get to accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart
Oh, and one last question if that's all right too. I had a character that met Storm once for a few minutes in a campaign, but the adventure wound up being ran only one night, sadly. It made me wonder... what kind of man would it take to win the Lady Bard's heart? I appreciate both your time and also Lady THO's. Thank you both so much!

Now that would depend on exactly when it was happening... As far as I know, Storm has an invisible boyfriend (Maxer) who hangs around on her farm as per the end of Stormlight (and comments by Ed about what happened to Maxer afterwards). So the first thing is, if Maxer is still around - it would depend on if your character felt like sharing! (And also, what Maxer's attitude towards sharing is as well - Ed, care to comment?)

If Maxer is not around, I think she'd after someone who is tough and no nonsense, but also kind and compassionate, with their heart firmly in the right place. Someone with a good attitude towards life and a strong sense of humor. Someone who isn't too phased by the unusual or magical, and could deal with/get along with Storm's friends. Someone who can put up with her rather legendary temper (see the novel Shadowdale for an example*), but not necessarily someone who was a match for her physically (lets face it not many people (men or women) would** - said potential mate would have to be able to accept that Storm is going to be the stronger partner***), and also someone who won't take any nonsense from Storm herself****.

I expect that any potential mate would also have to settle for being with her when they can - this for two reasons, the first that she's often off "saving the world behind the scenes" and they may not be powerful enough to go along with her (ie: they would be a liability), and the second is that I don't expect anyone would get total monogamy out of her. Also, I don't think male gender would be mandatory in a mate, though I suspect the underlying preference would be in that direction (sadly enough).

Footnotes ('cause my parenthetical comments were getting out of hand!).

* Though I still think she was acting rather out of character in that novel.
** In 1st Edition, she had 18/00 Strength, or something close to that and I definitely recall she exceeded the maximum female strength.
*** Which isn't to say that Storm can't be "soft" with a person, but that if she is, the potential partner would have to accept that Storm could still tie them into pretzels if she had a mind to - some men are that insecure that they wouldn't be able to accept that (they would be forever striving to be dominant), which I think would be a real turn off for Storm. So an Alpha Male is right out, IMHO.
**** For example, getting past the standard: "Oh but my life is complicated and dangerous, and you might become a target if I get involved with you, so it's best if I don't!"

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  07:25:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ooh! I second Joran's request for lore regarding Miior. I'm also interested in anything else Ed can say about the Haunted Halls... I know about the Spellplague-related inscription that was cut from the published adventure, but are there any other bits of similar lore that Ed can share with us? Please?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  07:58:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Quoting myself here, from the Candlekeep Castlemourn scroll...

quote:

Hrm... five months since Sage's post [regarding the inaccessibility of the Margaret Weis Productions website]... the site is accessible now, but there's no sign of Castlemourn on it. If MWP has dropped the setting, maybe Paizo will pick it up? Has anyone else heard anything?

THO? Ed? Anything new to add to this yet? If not, I'll try to be patient... really, I will...

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  11:49:52  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

any potential mate would also have to settle for being with her when they can - this for two reasons, the first that she's often off "saving the world behind the scenes" and they may not be powerful enough to go along with her (ie: they would be a liability),

From what little I have read (Silverfall, mostly - but you also see it in Qilue's behavior in the Lady Penitent series), the sisters have some issues to work well with others.
They seem a bit overeager to go off and solve it all themselves, rather than ask aid or use other people's skills. A partner (lover or otherwise) may have to work to gain recognition as being something more than the supporting character at home.
I am unsure if it is Sister specific, or if it is something inherent in a Chosen.

Gomez,
back from GenCon, and still recovering from his first participation in the pudding - I mean, the Spin-A-Yarn seminar ;)
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  11:55:34  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pierre-Luc

Does anyone know of current (1479 DR) schools of magic in Cormyr or the Dalelands? Thank you!

Not in the Dalelands, as far as I know (maybe in Highmoon? Doesn't sound likely though).
There is a boarding school in High Dale (the Arrowpoint Institute), but it doesn't teach magic other than a basic background on history and principles (i.e. enough so you won't look like a fool when dealing with arcane spellcasters).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  12:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez
From what little I have read (Silverfall, mostly - but you also see it in Qilue's behavior in the Lady Penitent series), the sisters have some issues to work well with others.
They seem a bit overeager to go off and solve it all themselves, rather than ask aid or use other people's skills. A partner (lover or otherwise) may have to work to gain recognition as being something more than the supporting character at home.

See the problem is, in most cases Storm would actually be correct - Said love interest would be a liability.

The Chosen are exceedingly powerful beings - one would have to be Chosen as well (or at least an extremely experienced adventuring type) to be on the same footing. That's why we've really only seen three long term relationships amongst the sisters... I am sure Florin sometimes (most times?) feels like a liability to Dove, since he's pretty much a bog standard adventuring ranger (leveling at a glacial rate ) - when Dove has to deal with something important, the chances are Florin would not be at her side. As for the other two, well the Simbul and Laeral are both involved with other Chosen. (I know Alustriel's 12 sons have the same father (don't know about the daughters though), but he seems to be very much in the background when compared to Elminster, Khelben, and Florin.)

quote:
I am unsure if it is Sister specific, or if it is something inherent in a Chosen.

I don't think it's inherent in being a Chosen of Mystra... I think it's just inherent in being very powerful with a lot of enemies - and you don't need to be a Chosen of Mystra for that.

quote:

back from GenCon, and still recovering from his first participation in the pudding - I mean, the Spin-A-Yarn seminar ;)

*Zandilar is jealous*

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  14:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I appreciate all of the help and thoughts on this, lady(ies?) and gentlemen. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes from it when we get a response back. I personally can't wait!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  15:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Well met Ed,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking time to speak with me at GenCon. It was a pleasure to meet you, Garen, and the folks from Paizo. I had a grand time at my first GenCon, and maybe someday will be able to return!

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Seeker

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  17:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
My first ever question to Ed... although it has been a while in coming.

Having searched the scrolls here, and indeed ranged far and wide (electronically), and have found no further information about the subject of my question I thought I might now trouble you with my question instead, Ed and Lady THO.

Is there any more to the story of Sharindala, the Lady of Scorchstone Hall (near Ripplestones) featured in, I think, 2 scenes in Temptation of Elminster. An interesting lady who had... vitality issues.

The scenes never failed to both amuse and move me, and I always wanted to know if there is more to her story than this? Thank you both!

Edited by - Iluvrien on 08 Dec 2009 21:31:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5041 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sorry for my silence, as I went "on mission" in an attempt to once again sneak off to GenCon to see Ed and buy some games.
That try failed this year, though I did manage to chat with Ed on the phone Sunday evening. He was tired but very happy, and will be sending me some e-mails to post here soon.
Menelvagor, moonbows do indeed, as Sage has said, exist in the Realms, and are venerated in various ways by the clergy (and worshippers) of Selune, Eilistraee, Sehanine, Lurue, and others. Hopefully I can cajole some details out of Ed for you, but it may take a while. The boy is awesomely busy.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi. I picked up a "giveaway" sheet off the Goodman Games booth at GenCon. I haven't noticed it posted at the Keep (apologies if it has, and I just missed it):

"Goodman Games is pleased to announce that it has signed an agreement with Forgotten Realms creator and legendary fantasy author Ed Greenwood to publish Ed Greenwood's Fantastic Worlds, a line of rules-neutral role playing supplements slated for release starting in spring 2010. The first release will cover castles, keeps, and fortifications, with future books scheduled to cover world-building, city design, mythology, and other subjects."
etc. with the important points being: hardcovers, systems-neutral, full press release at: www.goodman-games.com

Don't know about other scribes, but having hung out with Ed a time or two, I'll be ordering mine as soon as possible. I could listen to that man read the phone book. :}
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:10:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

<snip>

"Goodman Games is pleased to announce that it has signed an agreement with Forgotten Realms creator and legendary fantasy author Ed Greenwood to publish Ed Greenwood's Fantastic Worlds, a line of rules-neutral role playing supplements slated for release starting in spring 2010. The first release will cover castles, keeps, and fortifications, with future books scheduled to cover world-building, city design, mythology, and other subjects."
etc. with the important points being: hardcovers, systems-neutral, full press release at: www.goodman-games.com

Don't know about other scribes, but having hung out with Ed a time or two, I'll be ordering mine as soon as possible. I could listen to that man read the phone book. :}

I'll definitely be picking these up. I'm not buying as much gaming stuff as I used to, and not because of my budget. Rules-neutral gets a big thumbs-up from me, and hardcovers are always better.

Does anyone else think it's curious that the first volume covers castles etc., in light of the mystery surrounding the fate of Castlemourn? Hopefully THO will have some information to share with us when next she posts...

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:14:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I'm reading quickly down this page (93) of the thread to see what recent queries and posts have landed whilst I was running silent and deep, and herewith, some reactions:

Joran, EL AT THE MAGEFAIR has been specifically and accurately dated in lore. Isn't it in GHotR? If not, I'll try to track it down, though I'm hoping some scribe can answer it far faster than I can look it up...
And, yes, Ed has about as much unpublished HAUNTED HALLS material as what did see print; he designed it to be a campaign basis, not a short-and-tiny adventure (plans changed at TSR, without his being informed). However, most of it belongs to TSR/WotC, and so can't be reproduced here. Ed can probably paraphrase a lot of the Miior background, though . . .

Brimstone, by now you'll know from my earlier post that I didn't make it to the con this year. Ed will share what we can, as soon as he can.
One tidbit: apparently RPGA members who sign up to run tournaments will be able to get new (penned by RPGA members, and edited/checked by playtesting and by RPGA HQ/Chris Tulach) printed Realms adventures, in a "pack" of related adventures.
Bill Slaviscek also floated the idea of one-a-year printed Realms products at the seminar, and there was a roar of approval from the room.

More soon; delivery van at the door and must rush.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
As it happens, a number of us were treated to Ed reading far worse than the phone book on Saturday night, and I will testify that it was absurdly entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:23:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
gomez, you're quite right re. the behaviour of the Sisters.
However, as Zandilar posits, it's not inherent in being a Chosen. Anyone with many enemies, lots of experience in dealing with bureaucracies and corrupt rulers and human sloth and organizational inertia loses patience with being patient.
However, there IS one way in which this tendency IS part of being a Chosen: loss of sanity. As they age, century after century, the Sisters either despair of their careers or become increasingly driven by their work, and this is reflected in an impatience with others who are less capable or energetic (or more cautious) or who won't see things "their way" (example: Khelben, not just the Seven).
This comes from extensive discussions with Ed, BTW, and isn't just my opinion.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:39:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
As it happens, a number of us were treated to Ed reading far worse than the phone book on Saturday night, and I will testify that it was absurdly entertaining.
Oh? Can this tale be shared? Ed, I'll direct that question to you, since, given the anonymity of the author at this point, it's apparently your tale to share... or not, should CK's decency guidelines (or other considerations) prevent it.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Oh? Can this tale be shared? Ed, I'll direct that question to you, since, given the anonymity of the author at this point, it's apparently your tale to share... or not, should CK's decency guidelines (or other considerations) prevent it.
No, it's not Ed's tale, but from an execrable book called Bronwyn by Ron Miller.

And no matter how lax Candlekeep's standards might ever become, no guidelines could ever mark what Ed read aloud as 'decent.'
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5041 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:57:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
I am happy to bring you Ed's first post in a week or so, fresh from my inbox:

Jen and I are just back from my happiest GenCon ever. Yes, it beats the years of being named Dragon's Contributing Editor and winning Best Player at the AD&D Open and being presented with awards.
In part, it was because of the wedding of my dear friend Calye (Chainmail Girl to many gamers) and Phil Lacefield of GAMA fame. I had to give Calye away, and although Phil is a great guy and fast becoming a dear friend, I sure didn't want to; I wanted to keep her. Many eminent gamers attended the happy event, and I'm sure will agree with me that as radiantly beautiful brides go, Calye was stunning.
The axe she carried, Phil's short kilt, the superb ceremony conducted by Reverend Michael Webb (a great guy and longtime gamer), the dice given away, and watching all sorts of gamers dance or try to dance, all made it a memorable "you HAD to be there, your loss if not" event.
However, for me, that was the lesser part of this GenCon's happiness. The greater part, by far, was the surprise just-a-little-late 50th birthday party thrown for me by our very own Garen Thal (Brian Cortijo), who worked on it for the greater part of a year. He quizzed THO for the recipe of the chip dip that I inflict on my home gamers, and had me make a bowl right there and then, I was gifted with a shadow box by Jeff Thetford remembering Brian Thomsen, Brian had "it's okay . . . I'm Canadian" T-shirts made up for Jen and moi, and scored me a signed copy of the new Pathfinder core rulebook, and best of all, Brian assembled, edited, and had printed and bound a one-of-a-kind book of remembrances, FIFTY RINGS ROUND WOODED GREEN, that is now my most treasured possession.
It's full of stories, memories, and friendly joshing and jokes by many of my longtime friends, including some of my players, but also gamers and gaming luminaries such as (I'm just going to list in order of appearance, or I'll forget someone!) Jim Butler, Julia Martin, Erik Scott de Bie, Jen Brozek, our very own Wooly Rupert (and, hey, your e-mails finally came through; expect a reply the other end of this coming weekend), Jim Lowder, Paul Kemp, Thomas Reid, Steve Sullivan, Miranda Horner, Wolfgang Baur, James Davis, Mary-Liz Allen, Cam Banks, Brian Gute, Sean Reynolds, Stan!, Elaine Cunningham, Wes Schneider, George Krashos, Lester Smith, Karen Boomgaarden, Carrie Bebris, Jeff Grubb, Larry Elmore, Bob Salvatore, Jeff Thetford, Margaret Weis, The Sage (yes, our Sage, here at the Keep), Peter Archer, Brian James, Jaleigh Johnson, Richard Lee Byers, Calye, Rosemary Jones, Steven Schend . . . and of course, Brian Cortijo himself.
I can't begin to describe how touched I am by this, how honoured, and how fortunate I feel to have such a friend, and so many friends good and true. I WISH you could all read this book; it has two superb fantasy stories in it (and some old scribblings of mine, too), a number of neat game contributions, some topnotch art, and . . . lots and lots of love.
I now have a new book of essential Realmslore, and feel very loved.
Brian, take a bow. Take LOTS of bows. Let there be hugs all around. I will be thanking people properly for years, but I want every scribe and casual visitor at the Keep to know just how magnificent it feels to have such good friends, led by a peerless one.
Thank you.
THANK YOU.
Okay, time for hugs and backrubs and ticklings.
THO wants me to promise to answer Realmslore questions more often and faster, and I do. Oh, I do.
(Watch me fall short, but darn it, I do.)
love to all,
Ed

Well done, Brian and all of you who had a hand in this. You've made the Old Mage very happy, and that puts you all in my good books.
So,
love to you all from ME, too!
(And I'm prepared to prove it! Yes, I'm well aware Ed is, too, but I'm curvier and less hairy.)
Kisses,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000