Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2009 :  19:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom
What is Symylazarr's story? Is it enchanted? Thank you.
Symylazarr, like Orbyn, Rissar and Ansrivarr, are all tied into the Royal Lineage (and fully detailed there), and thus their histories and powers--all four are magical--are NDA, beyond what appears in Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Ilbratha, Mistress of Battles, would be a fifth Sword of State, but it was lost long ago, and picked up by aquatic elves, as detailed in Sea of Fallen Stars.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  00:25:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you again Ed’s latest message, this time a hearty “You’re welcome!” to Kajehase, a “good guesses but sorry” to The Sage (Dimswart) and ranger of the unicorn run (Thone) and a “I’m not counting Storm as one of your guesses, George,” being as Storm had already been revealed as a “no,” to George Krashos, a confirmation that Garen Thal’s sword reply (directly above) is “right on” as far as Ed is concerned . . . and the hoped-for Realmslore, too.
This time, Ed’s lore-response concerns two of the questions asked by crazedventurers. Ed promises that the rest of Damian’s questions WILL be answered in later messages.
I’ve interspersed the queries with Ed’s replies:

Q: Wizards of War: More than the normal contingent for a village of its size given the dangers of the Hullack? Any unusual spells used to blast the enemies in the woods without destroying the place? (general description is fine)

A: No, War Wizards operating in the area come to Thunderstone only to investigate suspicious matters reported in Thunderstone itself.
Otherwise, they work up and down the Cormyr side of the mountains to the east, and probe into the Hullack from the north, avoiding Thunderstone except to occasionally “lie in wait” for brigands, smugglers, Zhent agents, or monsters flushed out of the forest, whom they believe will cross the Stag’s Skull Bridge in departing the Hullack on its southern edge.
The only seldom-used spell popular among War Wizards operating against foes in the Hullack is the “loft” spell, which is a swift, long-range cone area of effect spell that levitates warm-blooded, living mammals of the same size as the caster or larger precipitously twelve feet straight up into the air, and then (caster’s choice, made during incantation) ends abruptly, dumping them back down again in a fall, or ends in a feather fall (possibly leaving them a visible target for longer). The fall and crashing up into branches might cause minor damage (1-2 hp), but the main purpose of the spell is to “flush out” persons in hiding, so archers and other Purple Dragons can act against them (a lofted target can’t run away until they are back on the ground, though they CAN grab hold of tree boughs and get up into a tree). The spell is sometimes used on “friendlies,” to boost them up into a tree beyond their reach, or to extricate them from thorns or a bog.

Q: Purple Dragons: Rangers, druids, scouts in the ranks? Do they 'patrol' the Hullack much or just keep the critters north of the Thunderflow? Do the locals lads and lasses enroll in the Dragons?

A: The local Purple Dragons have a handful of trained scouts and rangers in the ranks, but they are primarily used to track horse-thieves and smugglers, and to watch suspicious movements in the foothills of the mountains, not to make forays into the Hullack (though moots “just inside” the forest, or frequent forays into the Hullack, will be investigated). This is because, yes, they tend to work to keep critters north of the Thunderflow rather than patrolling the Hullack in any strength (forays into the Hullack are made by larger forces organized and brought in from Arabel and elsewhere for specific missions). Druids are almost unknown among the ranks of Dragons. Local lads and lasses enroll in the Dragons, some out of interest and some because they find it their best chances of good employment, but they tend to find themselves swiftly reassigned to elsewhere in the realm, with only a few veteran Dragons stationed locally as “local experts.” This policy is to keep corruption among the Dragons to a minimum (young recruits may come in with hidden obligations or debts, or be too eager to make “big coin” quickly, and so be susceptible to bribery and just “looking the other way” when faced with malfeasances by longtime friends or family).

So saith Ed, who will return with more replies on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4949 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  00:56:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm getting nostalgic in my old age and was wondering if Ed would find the time to provide us here at the 'Keep with some spellbook write-ups in "Pages From the Mages" style. I'm happy not to get any game mechanics (although mention of unique spells contained witin them and what the spells 'do' would be nice). If I can indicate a preference, I'd love to see something to do with Halruaa or Netheril.

I understand if this might take a while, but I'm the patient sort.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  01:08:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

... a “good guesses but sorry” to The Sage (Dimswart)...
Heh. Ah, well. I guess this means I'll have to keep digging for potential possibilities then.

Okay, then, could we get a "kinda close" or "way off" remark from Ed for some of the suggestions given so far, my Lady?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  01:28:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I'll ask, Sage, and we'll see.
George, what a GREAT suggestion. That, too, goes off to Ed (who's been very busy with some Realms writing today). I suspect patience will be necessary, but I'd not be surprised to see some write-ups. Eventually.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30431 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  03:05:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm getting nostalgic in my old age and was wondering if Ed would find the time to provide us here at the 'Keep with some spellbook write-ups in "Pages From the Mages" style. I'm happy not to get any game mechanics (although mention of unique spells contained witin them and what the spells 'do' would be nice). If I can indicate a preference, I'd love to see something to do with Halruaa or Netheril.

-- George Krashos

I'll actually add to this, a bit... I always loved Ed's articles on magical goodies (like the articles on swords, staves, and daggers; I've built an NPC around a dragonfang) and also his NPCs (like Mintiper, Asilther, Elsura, and of course Baelam the Bold). I'd love to see more of those. And if he wants, I'm sure that he could do them as full-on articles, instead of replies, and that Big Al would he happy to host them. This would also apply to George's request, too.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Jan 2009 03:06:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  03:34:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. I'll ask, Sage, and we'll see.
My thanks.

And I'll second Wooly's suggestion above too [and Krash's as well]... as I wouldn't mind seeing a few slightly detailed NPCs from Ed also.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Jan 2009 03:35:06
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  04:28:19  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Well, Ed has given us info on NPCs over the years, mostly because I've asked various random ones..... I haven't asked in awhile though because the last request I sent is still outstanding. :)

It's still time for some new FR curse words also. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  06:04:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Well, Ed has given us info on NPCs over the years, mostly because I've asked various random ones..... I haven't asked in awhile though because the last request I sent is still outstanding. :)
Yeah, I remember those... because they're some of my favorite replies. But I'm sure Ed's got plenty more he'd be willing to talk further about if given enough prompting.
quote:
It's still time for some new FR curse words also. :)
That, and some new religious-specific/clerical terms as well.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  08:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

What is the relationship between Thunderstone and Highdale? much trade between the two, supported by hamlets/fortified waystations in the Thundergap?

Cheers

Damian
ps thank you to THO for posting and sharing her own tales of Cormyr

I seem to remember a small Purple Dragon outpost (and a village) called 'Thundarlun', which was mentioned in 'Crown of Fire'. I also recall it was destroyed by the Zhents hunting Shandril, but I guess it would have been rebuilt since then (because of its strategic importance).

Oh, and a *million* thanks to Ed and THO for all that marvelous info on Thunderstone -- it's already longer than most Dragon articles, and filled with inspiring, juicy details that I'm going to use in my campaign. Ed just never ceases to amaze and inspire me!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  10:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Although Ed has already done a massive job at detailing Thunderstone (I would have *paid* to get that info in print), I might add a few lore questions regarding that area:

9) Are there any Eldreth Veluuthra agents operating in the area, and if so, which sort of means and allies they usually employ? Would they, for example, ally themselves with (or manipulate or "frame") cultists of Cyric or Malar or even the Zhents under any circumstances? I asked this question, because it seems that 4E FR suggests EV is *very* interested in protecting the elven ruins within Hullack Forest, and even considering finding an elven realm there.

10) Are there any Red Wizards or Iron Throne agents operating in or near the town? (I seem to recall a certain cleric of Garagos plus references to brigands in 'Cloak & Dagger' -- would this info still be relevant)?

11) How many businesses in Thunderstone (a rough estimate is enough :) are "backed" or owned by Sembian money, and are there any (known) Sembian merchants/landowners/coster agents here? Also, how do the Cormyrean authorities (Alusair, War Wizards and Purple Dragons) and local nobles usually relate to them?

12) Are there any jewelers and/or moneylenders in Thunderstone?

13) How many armorers, blacksmiths and weaponsmiths are there in Thunderstone, and are these "professions" commonly held by the same persons (doing all the local "smithing work") in rural Cormyr?

14) Which mercantile organizations/costers or shipping companies have a base in or outside Thunderstone? (Cormyrean Coin Coster from Wheloon is one that I've included)

15) From your description I gather that Thunderstone does not have any sort of curtain walls or barbicans or gates -- are there Purple Dragons stationed outside the town (i.e. standing along the roads in shifts), or do they simply use outrider patrols?

16) Finally: I seem to recall that Hullack Trail was presented as a trail (i.e. a "non-paved" road) in 2E maps, but 3E FRCS shows it as a "major" road. Is this a recent change (initiated, perhaps, by Alusair) or simply a "map issue"? So I'm asking: is Hullack Trail paved in 1370 DR, and if so, does the road extend through the Thunder Peaks? Are the streets in Thunderstone paved, and are there any smaller lanes/streets which are "covered" with logs?

Lady THO and Ed, once again my humble thanks for all your patience and the amazing lore you keep providing day after day. :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  10:53:00  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
End of 2006, Ed gave a length reply concerning the war om Sessrendale and the nature of the Dusklord.
I was thinking to rework that reply into a hand-out (to be added as an appendix to a future adventure), suitable reworked (remove rule refs, possibly add some ambiguity) into a scroll that could be found in the Leaves of Learning in Highmoon.

I would like to attribute it to a writer, and my question here is who that writer could be.
Note that the adventure is set Year of the Ageless One, but the author can be from any time in the preceding 200 years.

Gomez

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  10:57:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
I promised Ed some follow-up questions to his answer about Aerlathra "Manycloaks" Dethoaran, so here goes (still pertaining to Aglarond in 1372):

What would a typical Aglarondan "house-garden" look like? Wkat kind of plants is it used for growing? Foodstuffs, medicinals, or just to "good-looking ones"?

What is grown in Aglarondan greenhouses? How common are they (the greenhouses)?

What is the normal fee for an apprenticeship?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2009 :  10:59:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
And as long as I have the floor - reading about Aerlathra's Harper-involvement made me wonder: Who is/was the main "under-cover" agent for the Red Wizards in Aglarond at the time?

And what kind of activities, other than trying to come up with a way to kill Her Majesty of the Shredded Dresses, would the Red Wizards have their Aglarondan agents be up to? Spreading discord among the armed forces? Abducting people to be taken to Thay as slaves? Trying to widen the gap between the various nations that make up Aglarond (Altumbel, Velprin, the Yuirwood, and the Fang if memory serves me correctly - come to that, would nation be the right word for those areas [as in the Iroquois nation, the Swedish nation, and so on])?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 23 Jan 2009 11:04:24
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  00:27:09  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Ed what is the one question you have not been asked here that you really, really want to be asked and can't wait to answer?

and what is that answer?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Jan 2009 00:27:46
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2009 :  00:29:12  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

-- George Krashos

Halruaa Please!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  06:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

-- George Krashos

Halruaa Please!

If George doesn't mind, I'd like to chime in too. My preference would be spells of the Shoon era in the South. I was quite intrigued with the pyramidal spellshields and "mosaic magic" used by Priamon Rakesk in Blackstaff.

I think it would be interesting to see how the genie magic of the South evolved over time to become Shoonite(?)and then Calishite. Is it considered a separate "pedigree" compared to the Elvish/Netherese of the North and the Imaskari/Mulhorandi/Thay of the South-East?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  23:52:37  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

What happens to children born in prison from female criminals, is fate of child dependent on race of mother, social standing? PC asked me this recently?

Regional answers much appreciated.

Edited by - createvmind on 25 Jan 2009 23:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  09:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'd like to add my guess for who is the author of "Filfaeril: Bound and Willing"

LASPEERA! Who else but a woman could write such purple prose but also with some intimate knowledge of the Royal Chambers?

It's always the quiet ones!

But yes, Ed, if you're allowed to do small details of Cormyr in the 4E. Do the Cormyrians have any special ways to honor the Steel Regent, Azoun the Fourth, or Tanalasta in their holidays?

They were pretty heroic figures.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  13:29:13  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I'd like to add my guess for who is the author of "Filfaeril: Bound and Willing"

LASPEERA! Who else but a woman could write such purple prose but also with some intimate knowledge of the Royal Chambers?

It's always the quiet ones!

But yes, Ed, if you're allowed to do small details of Cormyr in the 4E. Do the Cormyrians have any special ways to honor the Steel Regent, Azoun the Fourth, or Tanalasta in their holidays?

They were pretty heroic figures.

Laspeera was already guessed. The list of guesses so far is as follows:

Alaphondar
Giogioni Wyvernspur
Vangerdahast
King Azoun
Valantha Shimmerstar
Elminster
Storm
Tessaril Winter
Glarasteer Rhauligan
Aerilee Summerwood
Laspeera
Garen Thal
Filfaeril
Volothamp Geddarm
Tanalasta
Alusair
Jorunhast
Dimswart
Thone
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  17:41:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed returns from judging a round of the current RPG Superstar Challenge going on at Paizo (Villains), and from some frantic days of writing and doing annual library budgets and legal negotiations (the reasons for his short silence) to answer this recent query from Gomez: “End of 2006, Ed gave a lengthy reply concerning the war on Sessrendale and the nature of the Dusklord.
I was thinking to rework that reply into a hand-out (to be added as an appendix to a future adventure), suitably reworked (remove rule refs, possibly add some ambiguity) into a scroll that could be found in the Leaves of Learning in Highmoon.
I would like to attribute it to a writer, and my question here is who that writer could be.
Note that the adventure is set Year of the Ageless One, but the author can be from any time in the preceding 200 years.”
Ed replies:

One can invent any number of sages or Cormyrean courtiers who could write such a brief historical outline of the fate of Sessrendale, of course, but I myself would choose Anlathur of Saerloon, who wrote a series of chapbooks on various locales in the Heartlands during the 1360s and 1370s (DR), including LOST DALES AND VANISHED NAMED PLACES OF THE MOONSEA VICINITY (1364 DR), which became briefly popular among adventurers and treasure-seeking investors in Sembia (and Westgate, and to a much lesser extent, Cormyr) when a (false) rumor spread that the text concealed encoded directions to a treasure hoard.

So saith Ed. Who will return with more Realmslore for us all, as soon as he can. Gomez, expect that report late tonight (it's midday here as I write this) or early tomorrow morn, okay?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2009 :  19:20:30  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Huzzah! Thanks THO and Ed,

That is really useable info.
And looks like I'll have a busy day tomorrow ;)

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2009 :  11:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Over at the WizBoards, someone asked the following question, one which Ed surely can reply to?!

quote:
I was reading the section in the Forgotten Realms guide about the King's Forest in Cormyr. Anyway, it briefly mentions a prophecy about a "Queen of Thorns" who sleeps beneath the forest. I was just wondering, does anyone know or has it ever been stated who or what this Queen of Thorns is?

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=17724119#post17724119

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Learned Scribe

97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  09:56:26  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
I have two questions for 'our lovely hooded lady', actually!

1.) Was it long ago since Ed, you, and the others sat down and enjoyed a game in *his* Realms?

2.) How did that last session play out? Prevented any RSE's did you?

//Amarel
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Learned Scribe

97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2009 :  10:43:42  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
Oh, and by the way, it couldn't be Caladnei who's the author of 'Filfaeril Bound and Willing', right? Or could it...?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000