Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2009 :  20:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Yes, I did.
Ahem: And what are they, please?
As in, for what faiths, why are they undertaken, and where do they go to (or through, if it's a sequence of places)?
And what special respect or status, if any, do pilgrims gain for completing them?
There. Done properly, this time.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  05:50:09  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed and THO,
I'd like to express my interest in (and seconding of) a few requests on this page. I'm interested in the schooling inquiries from Broken Helm and Malcolm, and in the subject of pilgrimages raised by Baleful Avatar. I'd like to expand the pilgrimages inquiry to include pre-Spellplague (and pre-Time of Troubles) faiths as well. I just got a brilliant campaign idea, and it involves a timeline reset to 1357 DR. I can't say any more about it at this time, as I don't yet know whether or not my players frequent CK.

Edit: Trivia: My 888th post!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 09 Sep 2009 05:54:09
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  15:44:53  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello,

Can Ed comment on Moander's Rot in Darkwatch and can it be cured, does the affliction travel by touch, is it airborne only within Darkwatch or anywhere that the afflicted travels? Any info at all. It looks like Ed's style of writing so I'm assuming he wrote it.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  18:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Yes, I think Ed has confirmed elsewhere, some time back, that he did write the Darkwatch lore.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  18:57:59  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
What's the source for Darkwatch?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  19:11:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
In 75 DR, Moander the Darkbringer hurled his forces and the "creeping evil" against the elven city of Tsornyl, blighting much of the surrounding woods. The magic of Moander twisted all life, both follower and victim alike, into corrupt monsters, including deepspawn and shambling mounds. While the evil could not be destroyed, High Magic severed the creeping evil from Moander and imprisoned the corruption at Tsornyl (soon to be called the Darkwatch). This weakened the Darkbringer's presence in Toril, though it cost the lives of thirty-two elves, including two High Mages, to sever and bind the power.

This evil still lurks in the area known as the Darkwatch and awaits a sliver of divine energy to return Moander to life.

With additional lore in Powers of faerun and Finder's novels I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  19:57:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
And in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, which is available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:57:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Yes, I think Ed has confirmed elsewhere, some time back, that he did write the Darkwatch lore.
BB

That does ring a bell. I'll search the archives and see what I come up with.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  00:58:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And in Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, which is available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

Also, see Cormanthyr [available as a free PDF download as well] pgs. 96–7.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2009 :  16:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, in the years after the 1380s, Spellplague or no Spellplague (i.e. if one doesn't have the Spellplague happen in a campaign, or does), do you see a few, some, many, or most noble families of Cormyr having extensive direct investments and residences outside the kingdom?
By "direct," I mean businesses and properties they own or co-own, not businesses run by others that they are one of many "backers" of.
I'm not looking for any exhaustive economic examinations of things, I'm really trying to get an idea of how frequent and "good" the foreign experience, interests, and involvement of Cormyr's nobles are, on a family level rather than eccentric individuals who happen to have wanderlust or want to be adventurers or are black sheep fleeing scandals or hate their folks or the realm and want to live their lives elsewhere. Are Cormyr's nobles traditionalists who dislike/mistrust/know very little accurate about "outlanders," or are they engaged in the wider world around them? I figure most of them hear news and have visited some Sembian cities and Westgate, but I'm interested in "beyond that."
Thanks.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  09:59:35  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Dear Ed and THO, in the years after the 1380s, Spellplague or no Spellplague (i.e. if one doesn't have the Spellplague happen in a campaign, or does), do you see a few, some, many, or most noble families of Cormyr having extensive direct investments and residences outside the kingdom?
By "direct," I mean businesses and properties they own or co-own, not businesses run by others that they are one of many "backers" of.
I'm not looking for any exhaustive economic examinations of things, I'm really trying to get an idea of how frequent and "good" the foreign experience, interests, and involvement of Cormyr's nobles are, on a family level rather than eccentric individuals who happen to have wanderlust or want to be adventurers or are black sheep fleeing scandals or hate their folks or the realm and want to live their lives elsewhere. Are Cormyr's nobles traditionalists who dislike/mistrust/know very little accurate about "outlanders," or are they engaged in the wider world around them? I figure most of them hear news and have visited some Sembian cities and Westgate, but I'm interested in "beyond that."
Thanks.
BB

Good question! I'm interested in finding out more about this as well!

Edited by - Amarel Derakanor on 11 Sep 2009 10:00:25
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  12:04:16  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

This evil still lurks in the area known as the Darkwatch and awaits a sliver of divine energy to return Moander to life.

It is not very likely that Moander will return any time soon (though his name was dropped recently, it was in association with the Citadel of Fungi, not the Darkwatch), but one never knows. I do have some vague plans to use the Darkwatch, not eaxactly sure how yet. Returning Moander isn't very likely a consequence (R&D doesn't seem very keen on it), but there may be a role for him somewhere.

I believe Moander's touch causes the Darkwatch to rot and verpert everything in its vicinity and to work on the minds of those who enter it, but it is not contagious once you leave the area. The Darkwatch and how it affects a person features in Sacrifice of the Widow.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2009 :  14:39:06  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
Hello Ed,

A few years back I posted a question about whether we would see a story involving Maderion Sunderstone and find out more about him. You indicated he was a character you wanted to write about and other had expressed interest but your schedule was packed.

With all the changes to the Realms, is it still possible that we might see a story or find out more about him.

Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  19:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
My Realmslore question this time around is about a Cormyrean noble (not large and powerful, but not young or newly ennobled, either) who falls behind on paying his taxes, by more than a year.
What would the consequences be? Does he lose rights or powers? Suffer confiscations? Do Crown agents hassle him? Or - - ? (Is interest charged on arrears taxes?)
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  19:12:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed tells me the first draft of the new Realms novel is done and has been e-hurled in the direction of Wizards. So of course I cajoled him to answer a few more lore queries right away, before he turns to the next matter on his highly-heaped desk . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  19:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Is there anything more you can tell me about the north beyond Glister, in the just-pre-Spellplague era? Are there any permanent settlements or recurring encampments that humans (among other races) use? Any ruins of a scale that humans can use for shelter?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  19:23:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Baleful Avatar. There ARE ruins, because some of the Knights once did shelter in some, during a howling blizzard. Can't remember enough about them to tell you anything useful, so we'll have to wait for Ed to tell us all more.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2009 :  22:09:10  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Casting quelled, all.

Adding to my list of outstanding questions:
In the last printed Dungeon, on the new map of Myth Drannor, what used to be
House Symbaern is now under House Orangyl. Ed, may I have more details on this
clan? I have nothing in my collecton that mentions this family.

If I was to try and write up the Araemyth spell into 3.x addition, would this be a level
spell or would it work as a epic level magic?

Where exactly is the Library of the Durothil?

The events of the book "Lost Library of Cormanthor" made me ask a question.
What where the dimensions of that library and where exactly is in under the
Speculum. Also the tunnels everbody ran around in, were those in any way connected to
the Tarynstone tunnels under Myth Drannor, or were they enclosed with no outlets
except to the underdark?

The battle in the Weeping War, the "Exiles War" wasn't fought on the site of the Polyandrium, was it?

Can you also add some clan surnames for star elves?

Hope the family visit went well. Later.

Edited by - althen artren on 12 Sep 2009 22:12:26
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  03:06:59  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message
Hello. My first ever question to Mr Greenwood, and one I've never been able to find anything about elsewhere.

Weekends in the Realms - do they have them, and if so, how many days are there, and how are they arranged in the ten-day week? Is there a set-aside "holy day" (I know some deities have weekly ceremonies) or day of rest? And is there a common market-day, or does it vary from town-to-town?

I did some research on 10-day-week calenders. Ancient Egypt, Tang Dynasty China and Revolutionary France all had 10 day weeks, with the latter two having one day off at the end (rather unpopular, I imagine).

One more, if I might beg. How would Elminster react to someone invoking his name falsely? Maybe from "Elminster himself recommends my pies!" to "I have Elminster waiting out back, ready to blast you all."

Like when a certain trickster-mage PC with the aid of a glibness spell tries to scare off a drow pirate ship by claiming that both Elminster and Khelben are on board. I'm sure the Old Sage with his Chosen ability to hear his name spoken anywhere in the world would catch a bit of "Will you be quiet, woman!? You'll wake up Elminster and Khelben, here - and at their age, if you wake them from their nap, you know they'll get cranky and start throwing spells around! They didn't come to Chessenta on holiday to be bothered by drow, or pirates, or both at the same time, after all!" :D

I'm thinking that a stern talking to would be in order. :) Especially after any number of would-be assassins and enemy agents get wind of it and begin converging on the party... :D

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2009 :  05:40:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Hmmm. I seem to recall Ed saying something about weekends in the Realms. Having to do with trade-fairs, perhaps?

I'll check the archives.

Edit:- Found it! From March '04 --
quote:
Hi, Proc. Most communities in the Realms hold ‘trade fairs’ (annual events tied to local commerce, such as farmers driving their herds into town on one or two weekends every fall for ‘bulk buyers’ to see and bid on -- around which slowly ‘grows’ gatherings of food vendors, camp followers, and finally wagon-peddlers of all sorts, until the local authorities decide to make a few silver coins off everyone and stake out proper ‘rental areas’ for the erection of stalls.
Maybe Ed could elaborate on this further?

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Sep 2009 05:44:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2009 :  23:15:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Baleful Avatar, I found more of my notes from that long-ago play session. Three long-ruined cities, one of them of a scale to house giants or titans, all of them reduced to wind-scoured stone pillars, cellars, and heaps of collapsed rubble.
One ruin infested with gargoyles, either because the long-ago inhabitants made lots of gargoyles, or because gargoyles are attracted from elsewhere; both of these Knights' speculations are supported by what we found in that ruin (which we hurriedly fled from, thanks to all the gargyole attacks): many other stone statues of various things that animate into fearsome beasts/stone creatures. Names and more details will, of couirse, have to wait for Ed, who is deep into some short, swift writing matters right now, but WILL (probably Thursday) surface with some more Realmslore replies.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2009 :  21:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,
I have a couple of questions(I apologize if any of these has been answered to already but I couldn't seem to find it doing a search).

-I've noticed there's a Dragon deity called Garyx who shares the same portfolio as Kossuth (destruction, fire, renovation). I I remember well, Ao stated that deities couldn't share the same portfolio so I was wondering if Garyx was just another aspect of Kossuth. Speculating about it, I might believe he could be the Salamander worshipped by the monks of Kossuth's order named after it but that is just my wild guess
What's the correct interpretation?

-What can you tell us about the Dark Moon Heresy? Where can I find more info about it?

Thanks a lot and tanks in advance to whoever from the community might be able to help as well:)

Edited by - Marek on 15 Sep 2009 23:26:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  00:26:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marek

Hello Ed and THO,
I have a couple of questions(I apologize if any of these has been answered to already but I couldn't seem to find it doing a search).

-I've noticed there's a Dragon deity called Garyx who shares the same portfolio as Kossuth (destruction, fire, renovation). I I remember well, Ao stated that deities couldn't share the same portfolio so I was wondering if Garyx was just another aspect of Kossuth. Speculating about it, I might believe he could be the Salamander worshipped by the monks of Kossuth's order named after it but that is just my wild guess

-What can you tell us about the Dark Moon Heresy? Where can I find more info about it?

Thanks a lot and tanks in advance to whoever from the community might be able to help as well:)

Deities can share portfolios; they just can't share portfolios in the same area of influence. In this instance, Kossuth gets the humans and such that are into fire and all, and Garyx gets the dragons that are into fire. It's the same with deities like Sehanine and Selūne -- they both cover the moon, but Sehanine gets the elves, Selūne gets the humans.

What we couldn't have would be another human deity of fire popping up in the same area as Kossuth, or another elven deity trying to cover the moon, and so on.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  01:02:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, this question comes directly from the Lady K.

Since she's been busy watching the Australian "Dancing with the Stars," the Lady K has suddenly become curious about what dancing styles would seen in the Realms.

I, naturally, directed her to some of the relevant novel and sourcebook examples of dancing and such, as well as some of your previous brief notes on the subject. But now the Lady K's looking for more.

So what, if anything, can you add to this particular subject?

Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  13:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

Deities can share portfolios; they just can't share portfolios in the same area of influence. In this instance, Kossuth gets the humans and such that are into fire and all, and Garyx gets the dragons that are into fire. It's the same with deities like Sehanine and Selūne -- they both cover the moon, but Sehanine gets the elves, Selūne gets the humans.

What we couldn't have would be another human deity of fire popping up in the same area as Kossuth, or another elven deity trying to cover the moon, and so on.

Yeah I thought so but I was wondeirng if there was any connection with the two deities. I remember that a position among the worshipers of Kossuth is called knight of the fire dragon...maybe it could relate to Garyx?

Since I'ma t it, I'll ask another question(of course any help from anybody else is really appreciated).
What's known about Longsaddle and the Harpell family? There's very little about it and mostly there's a reference in Salvatore's book but I was wondering if this was also coming from Ed's mind.

I've also been asked about Alorgoth, chosen of Shar. Where can I find info about him? does Ed has some of his precious notes he didn't share yet?

Edited by - Marek on 16 Sep 2009 14:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  16:12:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hello Ed and THO,

Yeah I thought so but I was wondeirng if there was any connection with the two deities. I remember that a position among the worshipers of Kossuth is called knight of the fire dragon...maybe it could relate to Garyx?

Page 89 of Faiths & Avatars:
quote:
The crusading military order of Kossuth is the Knights of the Fire Drake. This order's members guard the holy sites of the faith, lead the faith's numerous holy campaigns, and provide personal protection to Eternal Flames.

I'm sure it's a coincidence. I just looked thru Faiths & Avatars, Faiths & Pantheons, Dragons of Faerūn, the 2E Draconomicon, and the 3E Draconomicon. None of those sources mentioned any connection whatsoever betwixt Garyx and Kossuth. It's not even mentioned if they know of each other.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  16:23:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sage, here's a tidbit from Ed re. dancing (more to come, of course):

The latest popular dance in the Heartlands and Sword Coast, at both upper-crust functions (court dances, noble balls and revels) and lower-class ("just plain folks" having fun) is a dance wherein partners (usually male and female, but not necessarily) face each other, clasp their left hands together, wrap their right hands around the rear of each other's waists, and step "forward and back." That is, one of the two dancers takes two smooth steps right "at" or "into" the dance partner they're holding, who gives way two steps in unison - - only to then take two steps forward whilst the first dancer gives way. Then the partners rotate, often waving to or speaking to other dance couples nearby on the same dance floor, and repeat. Partners are either changed not at all, or at the end of a tune (typically about two minutes or a little less).
To avoid confusion, I've not used an real-world dance terms in this reply, but we're talking music that has the tempo of a waltz (not a slow waltz).

So saith Ed. Who's racing to get caught up on some swift game design work, and will return with another lore reply tomorrow.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  16:27:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I just looked thru Faiths & Avatars, Faiths & Pantheons, Dragons of Faerūn, the 2E Draconomicon, and the 3E Draconomicon. None of those sources mentioned any connection whatsoever betwixt Garyx and Kossuth. It's not even mentioned if they know of each other.
It's similarly absent from Garyx's other brief reference -- namely, Cult of the Dragon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  16:31:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Sage, here's a tidbit from Ed re. dancing (more to come, of course):
Awesome Ed! Thanks. I'll be sure to shift this along to the Lady K who, I suspect, intends to make use of this info in some way.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2009 :  21:37:44  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Dear Ed. If you have the time and inclination could you ask a question that popped up in my mind just now. I would be most pleased.

What do human nations and the ruling elites think about commoners or people of low birth getting thaught in the magic art? Do they actively put a stop to clandestine training in the Art to stop it from becoming a commoners tool?

Is it possible for a farmers third or second child to learn the Art or the Power (clandestinely) or do economic barriers help stop such a family to achieve an easy way out of their low station? I can imagine arcane academies having large fees just as todays top academic schooling has. Are there any unscrupulous mages who have seen this as an oppurtunity to get money and influence from the lower and less wealthy parts of Fearuns societies? Or are there hidden dangers to a teacher in the Art that I am overlooking that stop them from teaching magic to large amounts of people?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000