Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  11:49:52  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

any potential mate would also have to settle for being with her when they can - this for two reasons, the first that she's often off "saving the world behind the scenes" and they may not be powerful enough to go along with her (ie: they would be a liability),

From what little I have read (Silverfall, mostly - but you also see it in Qilue's behavior in the Lady Penitent series), the sisters have some issues to work well with others.
They seem a bit overeager to go off and solve it all themselves, rather than ask aid or use other people's skills. A partner (lover or otherwise) may have to work to gain recognition as being something more than the supporting character at home.
I am unsure if it is Sister specific, or if it is something inherent in a Chosen.

Gomez,
back from GenCon, and still recovering from his first participation in the pudding - I mean, the Spin-A-Yarn seminar ;)
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  11:55:34  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Pierre-Luc

Does anyone know of current (1479 DR) schools of magic in Cormyr or the Dalelands? Thank you!

Not in the Dalelands, as far as I know (maybe in Highmoon? Doesn't sound likely though).
There is a boarding school in High Dale (the Arrowpoint Institute), but it doesn't teach magic other than a basic background on history and principles (i.e. enough so you won't look like a fool when dealing with arcane spellcasters).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  12:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez
From what little I have read (Silverfall, mostly - but you also see it in Qilue's behavior in the Lady Penitent series), the sisters have some issues to work well with others.
They seem a bit overeager to go off and solve it all themselves, rather than ask aid or use other people's skills. A partner (lover or otherwise) may have to work to gain recognition as being something more than the supporting character at home.

See the problem is, in most cases Storm would actually be correct - Said love interest would be a liability.

The Chosen are exceedingly powerful beings - one would have to be Chosen as well (or at least an extremely experienced adventuring type) to be on the same footing. That's why we've really only seen three long term relationships amongst the sisters... I am sure Florin sometimes (most times?) feels like a liability to Dove, since he's pretty much a bog standard adventuring ranger (leveling at a glacial rate ) - when Dove has to deal with something important, the chances are Florin would not be at her side. As for the other two, well the Simbul and Laeral are both involved with other Chosen. (I know Alustriel's 12 sons have the same father (don't know about the daughters though), but he seems to be very much in the background when compared to Elminster, Khelben, and Florin.)

quote:
I am unsure if it is Sister specific, or if it is something inherent in a Chosen.

I don't think it's inherent in being a Chosen of Mystra... I think it's just inherent in being very powerful with a lot of enemies - and you don't need to be a Chosen of Mystra for that.

quote:

back from GenCon, and still recovering from his first participation in the pudding - I mean, the Spin-A-Yarn seminar ;)

*Zandilar is jealous*

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  14:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
I appreciate all of the help and thoughts on this, lady(ies?) and gentlemen. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes from it when we get a response back. I personally can't wait!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  15:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Well met Ed,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking time to speak with me at GenCon. It was a pleasure to meet you, Garen, and the folks from Paizo. I had a grand time at my first GenCon, and maybe someday will be able to return!

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  17:56:00  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
My first ever question to Ed... although it has been a while in coming.

Having searched the scrolls here, and indeed ranged far and wide (electronically), and have found no further information about the subject of my question I thought I might now trouble you with my question instead, Ed and Lady THO.

Is there any more to the story of Sharindala, the Lady of Scorchstone Hall (near Ripplestones) featured in, I think, 2 scenes in Temptation of Elminster. An interesting lady who had... vitality issues.

The scenes never failed to both amuse and move me, and I always wanted to know if there is more to her story than this? Thank you both!

Edited by - Iluvrien on 08 Dec 2009 21:31:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sorry for my silence, as I went "on mission" in an attempt to once again sneak off to GenCon to see Ed and buy some games.
That try failed this year, though I did manage to chat with Ed on the phone Sunday evening. He was tired but very happy, and will be sending me some e-mails to post here soon.
Menelvagor, moonbows do indeed, as Sage has said, exist in the Realms, and are venerated in various ways by the clergy (and worshippers) of Selune, Eilistraee, Sehanine, Lurue, and others. Hopefully I can cajole some details out of Ed for you, but it may take a while. The boy is awesomely busy.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hi. I picked up a "giveaway" sheet off the Goodman Games booth at GenCon. I haven't noticed it posted at the Keep (apologies if it has, and I just missed it):

"Goodman Games is pleased to announce that it has signed an agreement with Forgotten Realms creator and legendary fantasy author Ed Greenwood to publish Ed Greenwood's Fantastic Worlds, a line of rules-neutral role playing supplements slated for release starting in spring 2010. The first release will cover castles, keeps, and fortifications, with future books scheduled to cover world-building, city design, mythology, and other subjects."
etc. with the important points being: hardcovers, systems-neutral, full press release at: www.goodman-games.com

Don't know about other scribes, but having hung out with Ed a time or two, I'll be ordering mine as soon as possible. I could listen to that man read the phone book. :}
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:10:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

<snip>

"Goodman Games is pleased to announce that it has signed an agreement with Forgotten Realms creator and legendary fantasy author Ed Greenwood to publish Ed Greenwood's Fantastic Worlds, a line of rules-neutral role playing supplements slated for release starting in spring 2010. The first release will cover castles, keeps, and fortifications, with future books scheduled to cover world-building, city design, mythology, and other subjects."
etc. with the important points being: hardcovers, systems-neutral, full press release at: www.goodman-games.com

Don't know about other scribes, but having hung out with Ed a time or two, I'll be ordering mine as soon as possible. I could listen to that man read the phone book. :}

I'll definitely be picking these up. I'm not buying as much gaming stuff as I used to, and not because of my budget. Rules-neutral gets a big thumbs-up from me, and hardcovers are always better.

Does anyone else think it's curious that the first volume covers castles etc., in light of the mystery surrounding the fate of Castlemourn? Hopefully THO will have some information to share with us when next she posts...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:14:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I'm reading quickly down this page (93) of the thread to see what recent queries and posts have landed whilst I was running silent and deep, and herewith, some reactions:

Joran, EL AT THE MAGEFAIR has been specifically and accurately dated in lore. Isn't it in GHotR? If not, I'll try to track it down, though I'm hoping some scribe can answer it far faster than I can look it up...
And, yes, Ed has about as much unpublished HAUNTED HALLS material as what did see print; he designed it to be a campaign basis, not a short-and-tiny adventure (plans changed at TSR, without his being informed). However, most of it belongs to TSR/WotC, and so can't be reproduced here. Ed can probably paraphrase a lot of the Miior background, though . . .

Brimstone, by now you'll know from my earlier post that I didn't make it to the con this year. Ed will share what we can, as soon as he can.
One tidbit: apparently RPGA members who sign up to run tournaments will be able to get new (penned by RPGA members, and edited/checked by playtesting and by RPGA HQ/Chris Tulach) printed Realms adventures, in a "pack" of related adventures.
Bill Slaviscek also floated the idea of one-a-year printed Realms products at the seminar, and there was a roar of approval from the room.

More soon; delivery van at the door and must rush.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
As it happens, a number of us were treated to Ed reading far worse than the phone book on Saturday night, and I will testify that it was absurdly entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:23:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
gomez, you're quite right re. the behaviour of the Sisters.
However, as Zandilar posits, it's not inherent in being a Chosen. Anyone with many enemies, lots of experience in dealing with bureaucracies and corrupt rulers and human sloth and organizational inertia loses patience with being patient.
However, there IS one way in which this tendency IS part of being a Chosen: loss of sanity. As they age, century after century, the Sisters either despair of their careers or become increasingly driven by their work, and this is reflected in an impatience with others who are less capable or energetic (or more cautious) or who won't see things "their way" (example: Khelben, not just the Seven).
This comes from extensive discussions with Ed, BTW, and isn't just my opinion.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:39:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
As it happens, a number of us were treated to Ed reading far worse than the phone book on Saturday night, and I will testify that it was absurdly entertaining.
Oh? Can this tale be shared? Ed, I'll direct that question to you, since, given the anonymity of the author at this point, it's apparently your tale to share... or not, should CK's decency guidelines (or other considerations) prevent it.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Oh? Can this tale be shared? Ed, I'll direct that question to you, since, given the anonymity of the author at this point, it's apparently your tale to share... or not, should CK's decency guidelines (or other considerations) prevent it.
No, it's not Ed's tale, but from an execrable book called Bronwyn by Ron Miller.

And no matter how lax Candlekeep's standards might ever become, no guidelines could ever mark what Ed read aloud as 'decent.'
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  21:57:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
I am happy to bring you Ed's first post in a week or so, fresh from my inbox:

Jen and I are just back from my happiest GenCon ever. Yes, it beats the years of being named Dragon's Contributing Editor and winning Best Player at the AD&D Open and being presented with awards.
In part, it was because of the wedding of my dear friend Calye (Chainmail Girl to many gamers) and Phil Lacefield of GAMA fame. I had to give Calye away, and although Phil is a great guy and fast becoming a dear friend, I sure didn't want to; I wanted to keep her. Many eminent gamers attended the happy event, and I'm sure will agree with me that as radiantly beautiful brides go, Calye was stunning.
The axe she carried, Phil's short kilt, the superb ceremony conducted by Reverend Michael Webb (a great guy and longtime gamer), the dice given away, and watching all sorts of gamers dance or try to dance, all made it a memorable "you HAD to be there, your loss if not" event.
However, for me, that was the lesser part of this GenCon's happiness. The greater part, by far, was the surprise just-a-little-late 50th birthday party thrown for me by our very own Garen Thal (Brian Cortijo), who worked on it for the greater part of a year. He quizzed THO for the recipe of the chip dip that I inflict on my home gamers, and had me make a bowl right there and then, I was gifted with a shadow box by Jeff Thetford remembering Brian Thomsen, Brian had "it's okay . . . I'm Canadian" T-shirts made up for Jen and moi, and scored me a signed copy of the new Pathfinder core rulebook, and best of all, Brian assembled, edited, and had printed and bound a one-of-a-kind book of remembrances, FIFTY RINGS ROUND WOODED GREEN, that is now my most treasured possession.
It's full of stories, memories, and friendly joshing and jokes by many of my longtime friends, including some of my players, but also gamers and gaming luminaries such as (I'm just going to list in order of appearance, or I'll forget someone!) Jim Butler, Julia Martin, Erik Scott de Bie, Jen Brozek, our very own Wooly Rupert (and, hey, your e-mails finally came through; expect a reply the other end of this coming weekend), Jim Lowder, Paul Kemp, Thomas Reid, Steve Sullivan, Miranda Horner, Wolfgang Baur, James Davis, Mary-Liz Allen, Cam Banks, Brian Gute, Sean Reynolds, Stan!, Elaine Cunningham, Wes Schneider, George Krashos, Lester Smith, Karen Boomgaarden, Carrie Bebris, Jeff Grubb, Larry Elmore, Bob Salvatore, Jeff Thetford, Margaret Weis, The Sage (yes, our Sage, here at the Keep), Peter Archer, Brian James, Jaleigh Johnson, Richard Lee Byers, Calye, Rosemary Jones, Steven Schend . . . and of course, Brian Cortijo himself.
I can't begin to describe how touched I am by this, how honoured, and how fortunate I feel to have such a friend, and so many friends good and true. I WISH you could all read this book; it has two superb fantasy stories in it (and some old scribblings of mine, too), a number of neat game contributions, some topnotch art, and . . . lots and lots of love.
I now have a new book of essential Realmslore, and feel very loved.
Brian, take a bow. Take LOTS of bows. Let there be hugs all around. I will be thanking people properly for years, but I want every scribe and casual visitor at the Keep to know just how magnificent it feels to have such good friends, led by a peerless one.
Thank you.
THANK YOU.
Okay, time for hugs and backrubs and ticklings.
THO wants me to promise to answer Realmslore questions more often and faster, and I do. Oh, I do.
(Watch me fall short, but darn it, I do.)
love to all,
Ed

Well done, Brian and all of you who had a hand in this. You've made the Old Mage very happy, and that puts you all in my good books.
So,
love to you all from ME, too!
(And I'm prepared to prove it! Yes, I'm well aware Ed is, too, but I'm curvier and less hairy.)
Kisses,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  22:07:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Brimstone, by now you'll know from my earlier post that I didn't make it to the con this year. Ed will share what we can, as soon as he can.
One tidbit: apparently RPGA members who sign up to run tournaments will be able to get new (penned by RPGA members, and edited/checked by playtesting and by RPGA HQ/Chris Tulach) printed Realms adventures, in a "pack" of related adventures.
Bill Slaviscek also floated the idea of one-a-year printed Realms products at the seminar, and there was a roar of approval from the room.

More soon; delivery van at the door and must rush.
love to all,
THO

My thanks. I would like a once a year Realms Product.

Yep I need to get off my rear and get hooked up with the Living Realms here in Texas.

James Lowder mentioned Gamer Fantastic yesterday in another scroll.

I got it this morning, and I really appreciated Ed's chapter to Gary Gygax. I liked Ed's story about saving the elven princess again. And Brian Thomsen chapter was very revealing. I haven't read Steven's story yet.

So what do you think about it?

And again thank you for all that you do here for us Realms Fanatics.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Aug 2009 22:12:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  22:51:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Speaking for myself, it was an honor to be included in that book, especially next to some of the others on the list. I'm overjoyed that Ed liked it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  00:11:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Heh, Brimstone, I enjoyed GAMER FANTASTIC very much. Like most anthologies, some strong stories, some weaker. Some light fluff, and some . . . well, Ed's tale was a romp, Brian's swan song was a romp with razor-sharp edges, and Ed's eulogy was probably as classy as Gary will get, aside from what close family chooses to say.
Ed also wanted me to post this (and will send along a Realmslore reply soon, too!):

I also had the distinct pleasure of meeting Erin Evans in person, for the first time - - and, ahem, being shadowed by her for Wizards website purposes - - at GenCon, and found her delightful and nice (I already knew she was clever, witty, and a sensitive writer, and you will, too, when you read THE GOD CATCHER, next in the "Eddie Presents Waterdeep" series, and due out in February 2010, I believe).
I flirted outrageously, she took it all in stride, I had great fun with Shelly and Laura (another first meeting), and the fun, good-natured, and ever-stalwart Marty Durham (look for a "Book Nook" You Tube interview we did in a hotel room at the Marriott). Erin and Bruce Cordell, both typing furiously, were co-scribes at this year's Spin A Yarn, which has much to do with pudding, thanks to the inspired contributions of a certain Mr. Rowe known here at the Keep (another first meeting, and another pleasure!).
By the way, if Susan, the great and long-suffering helmslady of the Realms (and much missed at GenCon, sniff) reads this: I did no work at all on the novel during GenCon, but am hard back at it today, with another chapter rolling out under my flying fingers. Should be in early, in first draft!
Revealed at GenCon, the title of this unfolding work: ELMINSTER MUST DIE!
I miss all of you I saw at the con greatly, and those who couldn't make it, I hope to see next year (if Jen's health holds out: as long as she can withstand the rigors of the trip, I intend to be at each and every GenCon; I'm attended numbers 8, 13, and 17 to date).
So next year, when you need a Realms fix that's not set in Waterdeep or the Wilds or looking over Drizzt's shoulder: there'll be a new series of standalone but related mass market paperbacks by divers authors . . . and then there'll be ELMINSTER MUST DIE!

So saith Ed. Who is still bubblingly happy!
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  00:30:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
As promised, Ed has come through with a Realmslore comment, this one in response to Zandilar’s response to Joran Nobleheart’s “what kind of man would it take to win the Lady Bard's heart?” question.
Heeeere’s Ed:

Zandilar, as always, you are dead-on accurate everywhere where you aren’t darned-closed accurate. Please stick your oar in, anytime. (Sorry, haven’t stopped flirting from GenCon yet. Go ahead, hit me. I like it.)

Maxer is still around (though he “goes on missions” farther and farther afield, empowered by Mystra and Azuth, at least until the Spellplague hits and probably destroys him as the Weave goes down), so, yes, it WOULD “depend on if your character felt like sharing.” Maxer is completely generous about sharing, because he loves Storm - - and her den-mothering of all Harpers, and her ongoing love affairs and friendships with many, many folk (from halfling, gnome, and dwarven to the more numerous human, elven, and half-elven, all of both genders but probably about three-quarters male) are all part of the woman he loves.

Your summation of Storm’s preferences is dead-on accurate, though you are correct in thinking her temper was a little overblown in SHADOWDALE, and her customary character a bit different than portrayed therein. The deceitful are her pet hate, but she makes exceptions for deceivers who are trying not to hurt and telling “little white lies” and other kind deceptions, as opposed to evil deceptions. Yes, no alpha males, and yes, she’s strong but can and does love to yield and be soft (and be dominated during sex, but no “that means I can lord it over you the rest of the time” stuff, or the mate is GONE). You are also dead-on correct in this: “I expect that any potential mate would also have to settle for being with her when they can - this for two reasons, the first that she's often off "saving the world behind the scenes" and they may not be powerful enough to go along with her (ie: they would be a liability), and the second is that I don't expect anyone would get total monogamy out of her. Also, I don't think male gender would be mandatory in a mate, though I suspect the underlying preference would be in that direction (sadly enough).”
For the record, Storm has “been with” female partners for decades at a time in the past, and during her youth, as a slave, those were the only sort of willing relationships (as opposed to male captors forcing themselves on her) she had, for some time. Yet, yes, she does tend to enjoy guys. As I once had her comment, in a scene that got firmly cut by Brian Thomsen for obvious reasons (but not until after he’d chuckled over it and said, “Nicely done. We can’t use it, of course - - but nicely done all the same”), “They have this funny, funny handle, that feels so good within, reaching up for the back of your throat.”
Ahem.

So saith Ed. Ahem, indeed, Old Mage. Down from the GenCon high, there’s a good lad.
He’ll be back with more tomorrow, folks (in fact, he’s here all week! Try the beans!).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  00:37:20  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Jakk, about Castlemourn: I can provide a GenCon scoop of sorts.
I happened to overhear Ed standing talking with Margaret Weis outside the MWP booth (they were hugging like old friends, actually), and I think Castlemourn is done and over as a MWP product line. Like I said, they sounded like two old friends being regretful something hadn't gone well, not enemies or angry or anything like that.
Which doesn't mean it's done forever and for good, of course. Ed, can you comment?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  00:50:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi AGAIN, folks!
Ed just sent me another e-mail:

Kes Alandel, it was a pleasure to meet you, too. One of the delights of GenCon is actually getting to stop and talk to people we only know as names on a board or at the other end of an e-mail. So next time, instead, you'll get to hook up again with your GenCon friends you only meet at the con. :}
And shop and eat and game. My GenCon secret? I've not signed up for a single event in YEARS. For me, it's all meeting friends, stopping by booths and playing demos of new games, shopping, dining with friends (pickup gaming at such opportunities is free), stopping to enjoy the medieval performers, walking the exhibit hall and art show and seeing all that glorious art and meeting the artists, going to Author's Alley and meeting the authors there, and dropping by the Wizards seminars (if you don't have a ticket, you might have to stand, but they're sure not going to turn you away).
Come back whenever you can manage it - - I have, for years, and on the rare occasions when I pass through Indianapolis at other times than GenCon, it always feels really weird that the con isn't going on.
One hint: in a year when you can't afford GenCon, plan on attending a small local con instead, like the excellent Pentacon in Fort Wayne (early November, every year) or U-Con in Ann Arbor, or any of a dozen other good ones. Origins in Columbus in June is the closest thing in size to GenCon, and none of them are "the big show," but they're still great. Paizo held their own con in June this year in Seattle for the first time, and it sounds great, too...

Also, to Pierre-Luc: the only public (as opposed to secret, or members-only like the War Wizards' training sessions) school of magic in Cormyr or the Dales in 1479 DR that I know of, thus far, is a small academy called Arlrandur's, in Marsember (run by Arlrandur, a "renegade" War Wizard who increasingly is suspected of being an undercover War Wizard, identifying prospects and potential foes and troublemakers).
However, I'll check my notes and ask around, and see if there are any hints of others. In Sembia and Westgate, YES, there are several...

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and its reigning Lorelord, as always . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  01:34:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

The greater part, by far, was the surprise just-a-little-late 50th birthday party thrown for me by our very own Garen Thal (Brian Cortijo), who worked on it for the greater part of a year. He quizzed THO for the recipe of the chip dip that I inflict on my home gamers, and had me make a bowl right there and then, I was gifted with a shadow box by Jeff Thetford remembering Brian Thomsen, Brian had "it's okay . . . I'm Canadian" T-shirts made up for Jen and moi, and scored me a signed copy of the new Pathfinder core rulebook, and best of all, Brian assembled, edited, and had printed and bound a one-of-a-kind book of remembrances, FIFTY RINGS ROUND WOODED GREEN, that is now my most treasured possession.
It's full of stories, memories, and friendly joshing and jokes by many of my longtime friends, including some of my players, but also gamers and gaming luminaries such as (I'm just going to list in order of appearance, or I'll forget someone!) Jim Butler, Julia Martin, Erik Scott de Bie, Jen Brozek, our very own Wooly Rupert (and, hey, your e-mails finally came through; expect a reply the other end of this coming weekend), Jim Lowder, Paul Kemp, Thomas Reid, Steve Sullivan, Miranda Horner, Wolfgang Baur, James Davis, Mary-Liz Allen, Cam Banks, Brian Gute, Sean Reynolds, Stan!, Elaine Cunningham, Wes Schneider, George Krashos, Lester Smith, Karen Boomgaarden, Carrie Bebris, Jeff Grubb, Larry Elmore, Bob Salvatore, Jeff Thetford, Margaret Weis, The Sage (yes, our Sage, here at the Keep), Peter Archer, Brian James, Jaleigh Johnson, Richard Lee Byers, Calye, Rosemary Jones, Steven Schend . . . and of course, Brian Cortijo himself.
I can't begin to describe how touched I am by this, how honoured, and how fortunate I feel to have such a friend, and so many friends good and true. I WISH you could all read this book; it has two superb fantasy stories in it (and some old scribblings of mine, too), a number of neat game contributions, some topnotch art, and . . . lots and lots of love.
I now have a new book of essential Realmslore, and feel very loved.
Brian, take a bow. Take LOTS of bows. Let there be hugs all around. I will be thanking people properly for years, but I want every scribe and casual visitor at the Keep to know just how magnificent it feels to have such good friends, led by a peerless one.
Thank you.
THANK YOU.
Okay, time for hugs and backrubs and ticklings.
THO wants me to promise to answer Realmslore questions more often and faster, and I do. Oh, I do.
(Watch me fall short, but darn it, I do.)
love to all,
Ed
You're so very welcome Ed.

I was extremely honoured that Brian offered me the opportunity to contribute to such an august tome. And to have my words of praise and tribute featured alongside other such "Realms Greats" was indeed one of the main highlights of 2009 for me.

Here's to the next 50!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  04:16:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thank you THO.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  05:08:44  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you very much, and I appreciate the answers very much! I'm also really looking forward to hearing more about the Haunted Halls, (again, my favorite module and I still hope to get to play through someday). Here's a question that I'd like to add about Miior, based off of how you designed her, is she the type that would be happy to have a relationship with one of the people that rescued her? (Well, after she's had time to come to learn of what's all transpired around the Realms while she was sleeping). Thank you again, and I'm really looking forward to hearing more!

Ah, I almost forgot. A few years back, my old DM and I had a discussion about paladins and how their parents viewed them. He told me that with Joran, that he was almost a disappointment because he was a paladin, in the fact that paladins die so young due to their duties. I debated back (yeah, it became a debate) that a parent would be pleased that their child had become a paladin and that it was an honor, especially in the case of Joran due to his father being a knight of Cormyr and his mother a cleric of Torm. My question is this: how would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would (normally) Joran's parents view the fact he's a paladin? Sorry to tack this on, I've wanted to ask for a while but always forgot.

Oh, and as a side note, I did brag about Joran's family keep being named by both yourself Lady THO, and Mr. Greenwood. I think they were a little jealous.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 20 Aug 2009 05:42:12
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  08:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Huh... Are there tales of the slavery experiences of the Seven Sisters published? I know Dove maqueraded as a slave for some time, as mentioned in Silverfall. But were they the only ones of the Seven to do so? And was it planned to be so, or was any of them truly captured? And if there aren't any published tales of these experiences, could you tell us some?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  10:52:50  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
gomez, you're quite right re. the behaviour of the Sisters.
However, as Zandilar posits, it's not inherent in being a Chosen. Anyone with many enemies, lots of experience in dealing with bureaucracies and corrupt rulers and human sloth and organizational inertia loses patience with being patient.

I noticed Alustriel has a better time of it though. She does seem more capable of working with others (and she is the only sister so far that I have seen making an apology to someone she slighted). That really made her the most loveable sister. It is really sad that she is gone in 1479 DR (though I comfort myself with the thought that she passed away peacefully - at least, that was what I deduced).

Re: Gencon, I have definitely missed some very fun events (though at least I got the anecdotes on Caley's wedding, and yes she looks lovely, going by the picture I was shown).
Next time, I will attempt less gaming and more getting about meeting people. Though I hope I didn't pester Ed too much this Con...

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  20:39:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
gomez, you didn't pester Ed too much; in fact, he was worried that he hadn't made enough time for you, and will try to do so next time (this was another year of Ed's schedule morphing a lot). So rest easy on that score.

Menelvagor, there's nothing in published Realmslore about the early slavery experiences of some of the Seven beyond bare mentions of Minark the Salt Torturer (who wounded slaves, then put salt into the open wounds, then bound the wounds over with leather, then watered the leather to make it tighten, grinding the salt in) and rescue from him, plus a few single-line references to Storm and some of her sisters being used to being chained, branded, whipped, marched nude for days (chained together, sleeping in the open still chained together), and so on. The Code of Ethics of TSR prohibited publication of such details; slavery was simply something to be fought against or rescued from.

Joran, I can tell you from playing with Ed as a DM and watching him DM two other groups of players through the Haunted Halls, that Miior definitely WOULD form a relationship with one or more of her rescuers, for two reasons: she always wants to be linked to a stronger male as a protector, provider, and dupe (someone she can frame and/or steal from), and she is looking for a real mate (in other words, she will feign "falling for" a PC adventurer, strong and wealthy human male preferred, but either gender and any race if someone else seems more useful, and she's a consumate actress, BUT she can very easily genuinely fall in love with either her "chosen dupe" or someone else, and with that love will come loyalty, so she may later stand beside/support/return swindled loot to her dupe, and become his/her staunch partner).

So there you have it, from Ed to me to you...

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  20:57:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I'm reposting this from another thread, here at the Keep. It's my summation of what's PROBABLY going to be in ELMINSTER MUST DIE!
". . . Ed tells me it was two-thirds finished in rough draft before he left for GenCon, and he's having a BLAST writing it. Here are some speculations on my part about its contents that are based on reading between the lines of some Ed comments:
Elminster appears, and so does at least one of the Seven Sisters, probably more than one. Cormyr is involved in some way, probably as the setting for some of the book.
It's likely set in 1479 DR, though perhaps not wholly . . .
There are some nobles in the story but it's NOT primarily a story about rulers and nobles."

Not wanting to get Ed in trouble, or influence him as he's writing what is, after all, a first draft (or misinform any scribes, when the book may morph some, in the weeks ahead), I'm not going to add much to this or try to get him to add anything, until I have his say-so, and he will only give me that when he has approval from Wizards.

I can impart this much: I have the feeling that Ed is happy and pouring out his creative self as enthusiastically as ever, that he's getting better as a writer, and that the age of darned good Realms novels is FAR from over. Ed has been inspired by the quality of the "Eddie Presents" books about Waterdeep, and loves his editor.
(No, NOT the way you're thinking, you in the back wearing the leer. BAD scribe!)

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  21:08:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
The Ed Greenwood Presents Series has me enthusiastic.

The 3 novels I have read, soon to be 4 have not disappointed me in the least.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  21:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message
quote:

<snip>
(No, NOT the way you're thinking, you in the back wearing the leer. BAD scribe!)

It's not a leer...it is an evil grin thinking about what poor fool they are going to recruit to kill El. Seems to me that whole conversation is going to be...

"Sure I am an assassin for hire...who has to die?"

"Really....Elminster?...ELMINSTER!!!! has to die ...I think I just retired.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000