Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  03:12:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:

I have a question about a previous post here that I can't seem to find. Did I read something about the nobles of Cormyr having mistresses or a mistress, and it being a Cormyrean custom? I think I did, but just want to make sure. Thank you!

I'm still looking for this post, and don't seem to have much luck with the Search function as it doesn't list individual posts for quick perusing. Could someone offer some advice, please?

Sure. I'll take a look through my own personal archives and see what I can find.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  06:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you, Sage. I apologize for asking the question twice. I guess the Search function and I aren't that good of friends.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  08:40:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I have a question about a previous post here that I can't seem to find. Did I read something about the nobles of Cormyr having mistresses or a mistress, and it being a Cormyrean custom? I think I did, but just want to make sure. Thank you!

I'm still looking for this post, and don't seem to have much luck with the Search function as it doesn't list individual posts for quick perusing. Could someone offer some advice, please?

Sure. I'll take a look through my own personal archives and see what I can find.
Right. Ed touched on this during his 'House Haldoneir' replies earlier in the year [around February]. There's also this bit [Feb. 5th], which I think could be what you're thinking about:-
quote:
There’s an old Cormyrean word, “saerla,” that means “unmarried wife,” but this means not just a mistress but “someone I’ve fathered children with,” who remains a friend (if a man says, “She used to be my saerla” it means we’re no longer on friendly terms, NOT “I’m now married or she’s now married so she can’t be called a saerla anymore”).
A new term, gaining popularity in Suzail, is “nightskirts,” which used to mean “sophisticated prostitute I can pass off as a lady of high breeding,” but is now starting to mean something like “bedmate I treat as a lady of breeding, paying for her bed and the walls around it - - because she’s worth it.”

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  10:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert:
We have had at least two named elven Chosen, though. One is the Srinshee. It's not confirmed in any sourcebook that I can think of, but Ed has said that the Srinshee is a Chosen.

There's also Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep, and her tragic tale. I found this info on her online somewhere; I believe it came from the now defunct Yet Another Forgotten Realms Website.

There is another elf Chosen, actually. And I quote from earlier in the year:

quote:
Rereading Elminster In Hell, I noticed this:
On page 30, El has a memory where he bows over an elven woman who's deathly wounded. Silver Fire springs around her. What is interresting, however, is that it comes from her, not El. Who is this elf?

quote:
Menelvagor, Ed tells me that the dying elf woman in question is, to borrow your words, "someone else entirely." Unfortunately, she's also NDA. So we have a battlefield (in the past, Ed hints at least a few centuries, and we have a dying elf female known to El and dear to him, and yes, she certainly seems to be a Chosen . . .
Ed wishes very much he could say more.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  11:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you Sage. I really wish I had your capability of keeping everything sorted. I went through the scroll, and I tried the Search feature, but all it did was list the scroll, not the individual posts with my keywords. It was... irritating not being able to go right where I wanted to go. Again, thank you so much for your time and dedication!

Hmm... there's one more on the same topic where they mention the mistress being introduced formally as 'his' or 'their' mistress at a function or party. I'll look around there and see if I can find it. It's come up in-game is why I'm asking.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  12:24:55  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
The Hooded One, I have two quick questions regarding Undermountain for my campaign currently taking place there. First, using the timeline, what years did the Knights adventure into Undermountain? Second, regarding the magic "Horned Ring" found in Undermountain, is its teleport function strictly bound to the confines of the dungeon? Does this exclude Waterdeep and its environs?

Thanks!

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  12:28:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Thank you Sage. I really wish I had your capability of keeping everything sorted. I went through the scroll, and I tried the Search feature, but all it did was list the scroll, not the individual posts with my keywords. It was... irritating not being able to go right where I wanted to go. Again, thank you so much for your time and dedication!
Aye.

I'll be uploading the first of the '09 compiled reply files soon. So searching for any answers provided by Ed for the year so far will be much easier for all scribes.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  14:43:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Nevorick, I'm away from my notes right now and so can't be certain of the Realms dating of our forays (they were brief, and spread over about a decade; it was Ed's earlier Company of Crazed Venturers who spent a lot of time in Undermountain), but I CAN tell you that the Horned Ring can teleport all over Waterdeep (everywhere inside the walls, and the harbor and its islands) AND about a stone's throw outside the walls in at least one area, due east of the southern gate into the city. How do I know this? Heh-heh; let's just say it's part of why my character is still alive . . .

love,
THO
P.S. Falling silent now as I try to fool my employer into letting me get within swooping distance of GenCon. I'll be traveling on business, at least as close as Ohio. We'll see if I can manage that last leap (probably not, but worth the proverbial old college try . . .)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  14:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
While we're on the subject of elven Chosen, we're missing the best known: Symrustar Auglamyr; first introduced in Elminster in Myth Drannor, expanded upon in Cormanthyr, and killed in Fall of Myth Drannor (unless she shows up in Blackstaff Tower, a book I haven't read since it's 4e).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  20:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
No, we already mentioned her in the previous page.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  00:08:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert:
<snip>

There's also Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep, and her tragic tale. I found this info on her online somewhere; I believe it came from the now defunct Yet Another Forgotten Realms Website.

There is another elf Chosen, actually. And I quote from earlier in the year:

quote:
Rereading Elminster In Hell, I noticed this:
On page 30, El has a memory where he bows over an elven woman who's deathly wounded. Silver Fire springs around her. What is interresting, however, is that it comes from her, not El. Who is this elf?

quote:
Menelvagor, Ed tells me that the dying elf woman in question is, to borrow your words, "someone else entirely." Unfortunately, she's also NDA. So we have a battlefield (in the past, Ed hints at least a few centuries, and we have a dying elf female known to El and dear to him, and yes, she certainly seems to be a Chosen . . .
Ed wishes very much he could say more.

Re: the identity of the mysterious elven female Chosen... what about Symrustar Auglamyr, as mentioned in a subsequent post to the above-quoted post? That's my only stab at this; can Ed give us any sort of timeline on the project the NDA is related to, or is there a project at all at this point?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Nevorick
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  00:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Nevorick's Homepage Send Nevorick a Private Message
My thanks, Lady THO. I suspected that the "Horned Ring" might allow for very local teleportation. It's good to know now, before anyone tries to use it.

Good luck on your swooping.

"What happens in Waterdeep, stays in Waterdeep."
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  00:40:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Yet another question (or set of related questions) from me...

Regarding Torm (the deity): Is there any more non-NDA'd lore available regarding his mortal kingdom of Chalsembyr beyond what is presented in Champions of Valor in the write-up regarding Chalsembyr's Heart? I'm thinking specifically of timeline and location, of course. Okay, I guess that's only one question. Many thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2009 :  08:27:19  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk:
Re: the identity of the mysterious elven female Chosen... what about Symrustar Auglamyr, as mentioned in a subsequent post to the above-quoted post?

I'll requote the original, just to make it clear:

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor:
On page 30, El has a memory where he bows over an elven woman who's deathly wounded. Silver Fire springs around her. What is interresting, however, is that it comes from her, not El. Who is this elf? The only female Elf Chosen I know of is Syrumstar Auglamyr. So is this a throwback to Elminster in Myth Drannor? When she becomes a Chosen? Or is this some other time? Or is this someone else entirely?

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
Menelvagor, Ed tells me that the dying elf woman in question is, to borrow your words, "someone else entirely."

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  02:12:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Heh. Oops. My bad. And we've accounted for the other known female elf Chosen, Embrae Aloevan... Me big doofus. Me go think about other questions to ask Ed now... *Jakk the half-ogre trudges off trying to remain inconspicuous*

Go to Top of Page

Draenar
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  06:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Draenar's Homepage Send Draenar a Private Message
I've been lurking around here for a while, now, and I'd like to thank Ed for all the amazing detail he provides for the Realms -- it's made them come to life all the more for me, and I hope I've managed to pass some of that along to my players.

I have come out of lurking to ask a question (although expressing my thanks is reason enough). Specifically, I'm looking for the name and description of any songbirds you can give me. I'd like one that is native to the Western Heartlands, especially the Berdusk area, but that has a fairly large habitat, and that tends to bright colours, especially green. (If the colour restriction is a problem, it's not that important.)

As background, I'm including in my game an artificial bird given by Finder to Cylyria Dragonbreast as a gift, to convey that he has no hard feelings towards the Harpers. The bird is entirely lifelike, and in fact intelligent, and was intended to act as a spy and messenger. (It also knows and can sing all of Finder's songs, as well as others, as a bit of a joke on Finder's part.) So, of course, a type of bird that is a common sight in many areas of the Realms would be desired.

I realize that, what with GenCon, this is a poor time to add a question to the pile, but I can just vaguely call it a "songbird" meanwhile.

Thanks.

BRITANNUS (shocked): Caesar, this is not proper.
THEODOTUS (outraged): How?
CAESAR (recovering his self-possession): Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
    -- Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II, George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  06:45:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I can toss out a bit about a songbird that Ed had previously shared with me.

quote:
Hi, Wooly, here's a reply from Ed:

Hi, Wooly! Lyrewings haven't yet appeared in published Realmslore. They are long, slender, mist-gray birds with gray-blue wings and pinkish-gray underbellies, and they get their name for their calls, which sound like descending runs (slow chords) being played on a lyre. Very pleasant, laid-back melodic.
When these calls are answered by another lyrewing, a lyrewing switches from them into a liquid warbling that sounds like a high-pitched human or half-elven soprano singing wordlessly, in a liquid, always-have-breath-enough manner (think the female vocal from Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky" from the classic DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, only about an octave higher and with no rough or "panting" passages). Lyrewings are highly intelligent (and emotional), and can converse in this language for long stretches of communicating quite complex ideas, statements, arguments, and responses.
Sages know this, and have communicated it centuries ago to bards, wherefore bards see lyrewings as transformed human lovers, or able to witness human love and report or even advise humans on love, and so on (or at least, they depict lyrewings thus in many ballads and laments).
The approval or befriending of a lyrewing is said to betoken near-future success in love; meeting a sad lyrewing presages doom or bad times for one's relationship or lovers or loved ones, and so on.

Hope this helps.
Love,
THO

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  07:43:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Hi, Wooly, here's a reply from Ed:

Hi, Wooly! Lyrewings haven't yet appeared in published Realmslore. They are long, slender, mist-gray birds with gray-blue wings and pinkish-gray underbellies, and they get their name for their calls, which sound like descending runs (slow chords) being played on a lyre. Very pleasant, laid-back melodic.
When these calls are answered by another lyrewing, a lyrewing switches from them into a liquid warbling that sounds like a high-pitched human or half-elven soprano singing wordlessly, in a liquid, always-have-breath-enough manner (think the female vocal from Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky" from the classic DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, only about an octave higher and with no rough or "panting" passages). Lyrewings are highly intelligent (and emotional), and can converse in this language for long stretches of communicating quite complex ideas, statements, arguments, and responses.
Sages know this, and have communicated it centuries ago to bards, wherefore bards see lyrewings as transformed human lovers, or able to witness human love and report or even advise humans on love, and so on (or at least, they depict lyrewings thus in many ballads and laments).
The approval or befriending of a lyrewing is said to betoken near-future success in love; meeting a sad lyrewing presages doom or bad times for one's relationship or lovers or loved ones, and so on.

Hope this helps.
Love,
THO

Heh. I actually included a few bits on the lyrewings in my "Keys to Realms Music" submission for the published DRAGON a few years back. I built a little on Ed's original idea, though I tended to focus more on detailing the relationships between lyrewings and bards -- borrowing somewhat from Oscar Wilde's "The Nightingale and the Rose" [one of my favourite tales from among Wilde's many works].

Go to Top of Page

Draenar
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  08:47:28  Show Profile  Visit Draenar's Homepage Send Draenar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

<snip>

Wow, that actually works near-perfectly. Especially the symbolism and connection to bards. (Though it might encourage misinterpretations of what Finder was trying to say with his gift.)

On a related note, what, if anything, can or has been revealed about Cylyria's background? (I just looked through the pdf compilations of these threads, and got only tantalizing glimpses....) I'm wondering if she might have read more into the gift (coming from a god, no less!) than Finder intended ... or whether he might have indeed intended for her to read something into it. (Sorry about that last, mangled sentence.)

BRITANNUS (shocked): Caesar, this is not proper.
THEODOTUS (outraged): How?
CAESAR (recovering his self-possession): Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
    -- Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II, George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2009 :  10:07:47  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Draenar

Specifically, I'm looking for the name and description of any songbirds you can give me.

Also have a look at Birds of Faerûn (although it's non-canon and not by Ed).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  03:28:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

<chop>
1) Ed, with regardt to the Uthgardt... no, no typo, just me being silly... how close is what was published over the years (particularly as seen in the original Savage Frontier supplement and as written by Bob Salvatore) to what your Uthgardt are like? I'm developing the long-term ancestry of two of my original 1E Realms PC's (brothers) and I have a theory... and I'm curious as to (a) how close that publication/origination correspondence is, and (b) how you would characterize the Uthgardt language in relation to Earth languages? I know you've said in the past that you have tried to keep your fictional cultures and languages as non-derivative as possible (and succeeded quite well at this, imho, knowing what I know about the published Mulhorand, Unther, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara). <snip>

I've managed to answer this one myself, having found a very old scroll here at the 'Keep that describes the Uthgardt as being Paul Jaquays' creation. One less question for Ed to deal with, and I'll give my questions quoted above the answers that I want.

Edit: And I'd forgotten about the distinction between the Uthgardt and the Reghedmen... silly of me, what with Wulfgar not having black hair and all... regardless, my question's answered, so strike it from the list.

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 02:13:44
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  19:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Ed, I assume rainbows exist in the Realms. Do Moonbows http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap010704.html? And if so, are they venrated by any religion, for example Sehanine?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  01:16:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Ed, I assume rainbows exist in the Realms.
Rainbows do indeed exist in the Realms, though they're a little different to those of Earth.

As Ed explains:-
quote:
Yes, rainbows in the Realms do differ from those of our real world, but only VERY slightly. Essentially you can think of them as the same (same spectra bands, same conditions for their appearance, et cetera). The presence of the Shards and the slightly different Torilian lunar situation make rainbows in the Realms shine much more brightly and persist in visibility longer than they do in our real world, with a longer “pink and purple” fadeout as they do dwindle.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Aug 2009 01:17:02
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  02:09:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Since I've mentioned it elsewhere, and am now curious, I may as well ask Ed (although I'm expecting "NDA" as my answer):

quote:
From page 55 of Book 1: The Wilderness in the 2E boxed set The North:
The only building that weather the centuries without scars is an eerie, black pyramid that pulses and flickers with a sickly green radiance.

Does this pyramid (edit: found in the ruins of Karse; sorry ) have anything to do with Wulgreth? Phylactery, for instance? (Assuming, of course, that this particular pyramid was not the creation of someone else.)

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 17:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  15:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Hello again, Mr. Greenwood and Lady THO. I actually have a couple of old questions that I'd like to ask if that's all right. My first question is: What year was it when Storm and Elminster went to the magefair? I think it was before the Time of Troubles, but just wanted to make sure.

My second question comes from a module that is my absolute favorite ever that Mr. Greenwood himself wrote, though I've never found anyone that would run the adventure. I've always wanted to take Joran through there at low level in 2nd Edition. The module is the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. I was always interested in the young woman Miior that was in temporal stasis and wondered if perhaps you could give us a little more information about who she is, her background, and also what the year was when she was put in stasis.

Oh, and one last question if that's all right too. I had a character that met Storm once for a few minutes in a campaign, but the adventure wound up being ran only one night, sadly. It made me wonder... what kind of man would it take to win the Lady Bard's heart? I appreciate both your time and also Lady THO's. Thank you both so much!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  18:06:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
THO, I heard Ed went to Gencon this year. What about you. If so what did you and Ed think about this one.

Spoil us, spoil, spoil us.

Any tidbits to share from the Realms Seminar from Ed and maybe you if you went?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  04:16:05  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Does anyone know of current (1479 DR) schools of magic in Cormyr or the Dalelands? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  04:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Now I know I'm not Ed, but I'm putting my oar in here to see how close I get to accurate.

quote:
Oh, and one last question if that's all right too. I had a character that met Storm once for a few minutes in a campaign, but the adventure wound up being ran only one night, sadly. It made me wonder... what kind of man would it take to win the Lady Bard's heart? I appreciate both your time and also Lady THO's. Thank you both so much!

Now that would depend on exactly when it was happening... As far as I know, Storm has an invisible boyfriend (Maxer) who hangs around on her farm as per the end of Stormlight (and comments by Ed about what happened to Maxer afterwards). So the first thing is, if Maxer is still around - it would depend on if your character felt like sharing! (And also, what Maxer's attitude towards sharing is as well - Ed, care to comment?)

If Maxer is not around, I think she'd after someone who is tough and no nonsense, but also kind and compassionate, with their heart firmly in the right place. Someone with a good attitude towards life and a strong sense of humor. Someone who isn't too phased by the unusual or magical, and could deal with/get along with Storm's friends. Someone who can put up with her rather legendary temper (see the novel Shadowdale for an example*), but not necessarily someone who was a match for her physically (lets face it not many people (men or women) would** - said potential mate would have to be able to accept that Storm is going to be the stronger partner***), and also someone who won't take any nonsense from Storm herself****.

I expect that any potential mate would also have to settle for being with her when they can - this for two reasons, the first that she's often off "saving the world behind the scenes" and they may not be powerful enough to go along with her (ie: they would be a liability), and the second is that I don't expect anyone would get total monogamy out of her. Also, I don't think male gender would be mandatory in a mate, though I suspect the underlying preference would be in that direction (sadly enough).

Footnotes ('cause my parenthetical comments were getting out of hand!).

* Though I still think she was acting rather out of character in that novel.
** In 1st Edition, she had 18/00 Strength, or something close to that and I definitely recall she exceeded the maximum female strength.
*** Which isn't to say that Storm can't be "soft" with a person, but that if she is, the potential partner would have to accept that Storm could still tie them into pretzels if she had a mind to - some men are that insecure that they wouldn't be able to accept that (they would be forever striving to be dominant), which I think would be a real turn off for Storm. So an Alpha Male is right out, IMHO.
**** For example, getting past the standard: "Oh but my life is complicated and dangerous, and you might become a target if I get involved with you, so it's best if I don't!"

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  07:25:52  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ooh! I second Joran's request for lore regarding Miior. I'm also interested in anything else Ed can say about the Haunted Halls... I know about the Spellplague-related inscription that was cut from the published adventure, but are there any other bits of similar lore that Ed can share with us? Please?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  07:58:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Quoting myself here, from the Candlekeep Castlemourn scroll...

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Hrm... five months since Sage's post [regarding the inaccessibility of the Margaret Weis Productions website]... the site is accessible now, but there's no sign of Castlemourn on it. If MWP has dropped the setting, maybe Paizo will pick it up? Has anyone else heard anything?

THO? Ed? Anything new to add to this yet? If not, I'll try to be patient... really, I will...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000